Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone see the BBC news report on ski helmets this morning?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No one likes the Big Brother approach. However, some things are just common sense.

Maybe someone should pass a law that the following should be compulsory:

1) Bindings fitted to all ski's
2) Ski Gloves to be worn
3) Ski Jackets to be worn over in minus conditions
4) Insurance to be taken out before skiing

Most normal people do all of these, why not wear helmets.

More people are injured in the head by other skiers crashing in to them. Its like wearing a seatbelt in a car, eventually everyone will wear one and wonder why for so many years people didn't.

Hey Ho..... lets revisit it in 5 years time.....lol Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It makes sense to wear a helmet when riding a bike, but lots of people don't.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Its like wearing a seatbelt in a car,

One thing that raises the venom is stupid statements like this, if wearing a seatbelt in a car was as irritating and uncomfortable as wearing a helmet whilst skiing, I would be reluctant to drive at all, conversely if wearing a helmet was as unnoticable as wearing a seatbelt, I would wear one.

Make no mistake, the fire under the pro helmet campaign is also fed by those who want to sell helmets.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best bit about the article was given very quietly as statistics, sort of hidden between the flannel.

The risk of any skiing injury (I assume serious enough to be reported) is 1 or 2 per 1000 skier days
15% of skier injuries involve some form of head injury (that is 15 per 100,000 skier days) (though in another part of the article it said 10%)
The wearing of a helmet reduces the chance of head injury by 35%
Though the wearing of helmets has increased in Scotland over recent years the incidence of head injuries has not decreased.

John
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DevilsAdvocat666 wrote:
.....Most normal people do all of these, why not wear helmets....

They are expensive, they are easily knocked and then need replacement, they need changing periodicaly, they are awkward to pack if trqavelling by train or plane and (on the evidence of the BBC report) they don't reduce injury (serious injury, anyway - they must reduce cuts and bruises which is why I often wear one) .

You did ask.

PS car seatbelts can absorb 20 - 30g with the wearer surviving a crash. Try absorbing that amount with a helmet if you feel suicide's your thing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LIDL £20. Most people pay that much for a hat and scarf.

I can never interpret the stats either way as there is so little scientific method and appropriate sampling. I have subjective experience of a "missing" period of time post a head injury incurred while wearing a helmet that I choose to interpret as an event which could have been much worse without but who really knows?

I think the arguments about high velocity impacts are a bit specious. If high velocity was the precondition for most ski and board injuries there wouldn't be ski patrol mopping people up off the bunny slopes and railparks all the time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

One thing that raises the venom is stupid statements like this, if wearing a seatbelt in a car was as irritating and uncomfortable as wearing a helmet whilst skiing, I would be reluctant to drive at all, conversely if wearing a helmet was as unnoticable as wearing a seatbelt, I would wear one.

Make no mistake, the fire under the pro helmet campaign is also fed by those who want to sell helmets.

I'm guessing when they made wearing seat belts mandatory there were plenty of people moaning about how uncomfortable they were and how they shouldn't be told what to do in their own car.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw the results of a pretty bad accident last week where two skiers were down. I could only assume from their injuries that they had run face on into each other. Both had bad facial injuries/bleeding and one was semi concious. Both were wearing helmets. It was quite shocking and although the helmets obviously hadn't helped ( they may have even made it worse ). I noticed a much higher percentage of people wearing them this year. I will be getting myself one for next time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The downside to helmets is people feel safer and act a lttle more crazy. This of course has a knock on effect. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Tirol"]
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing when they made wearing seat belts mandatory there were plenty of people moaning about how uncomfortable they were and how they shouldn't be told what to do in their own car.

There was also quite a lot of good scientific evidence that did say that wearing seat belts saved lives (IIRC) and also insurance companies reduced damages by 25% for anyone not wearing a seatbelt on the basis that by not doing so, they were contributing to their own injuries. Not sure that I'm convinced by what I've read abouth helmets in quite the same way, although I do wear one Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Put it this way. Helmets for skiing will definitely help in a limited set of circumstances. Crashing at high speed into a solid immovable object is not one of those situations. If you are buying a helmet to make you safe in that situation then you are an idiot. However if you consider incidents where your head hits an object at less than 12mph then there is a solid background of evidence to suggest a helmet is a very wise investment. That includes high speed crashes because the important factor is not your overall speed but the speed with which your head covered by the helmet hits anything. There is a complicated relationship between the two. Anecdotal evidence in this case is less than worthless, in both directions, as you cannot control for confounding factors in any individual accident situation.

I currently do not wear a helmet skiing but I can see this entire repeated debate is the most retarded thing since people honestly suggested homeopathy was a good workable piece of medicine.

The same is true of any piece of safety equipment, it will only work in a limited environment. The responsibility lies with the individual in this case to make sure they are properly aware of the limits of their safety equipment. This is true of helmets as it is of transceivers as it is of ropes in climbing or seatbelts in cars. There are no sure things and you might die regardless of the precautions you take.

The truth is most of you replying on this thread will die of heart disease or cancer. Have a nice day. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most people on this thread write as if the ski slopes are reenacting Wacky Races or Rollerball(70's film with James Caan very bloody)! I have been skiing for over 30 years and you treat the slopes like you treat the motorway when you are driving, no sudden changing of lanes and if you do for Gods sake look behind you,it's not difficult.Be aware of learners they are pretty obvious and unpredictable. You will never stop those wanting to break the sound barrier but if you are piste aware at all times, just like driving,you will retain a hefty portion of control.some accidents are unavoidable, especially when ice is involved, but they don't all result in head injuries, usually it's the shoulders that get it, because that's the part of the body that makes first impact, so what's next full body armour? I am neither for or against but I will say this, have you noticed how the helmet designs have gone from functional to fashionable as the big labels have jumped on the bandwagon, another great commercial money spinner, so don't be surprised when you will be able to buy that body armour in fashionable matching print designs........in Marks & Spencers!!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn't think I would ever buy a helmet - I love the feeling of the wind running through my hair...... but then after all the bad press over the last few years I started to think about buying one..... if for no other reason than I would feel pretty damn stupid if I actually had an accident.

Anyway - walked into Quiksilver to find a gorgeous little Roxy number in the sale - SOLD!!! I love it - and think I actually ski better because I feel more proteced.

On our last holiday my brother-in-law had an incident which resulted in his board hitting someone in the head - damn good job they were wearing a helmet!!

My views have now changed - but trying to convince my OH to get one is not working!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy