Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone see the BBC news report on ski helmets this morning?

Poster: A snowHead
They went all the way to Val D'Isere just to do a report on ski helmets! I reckon I could have done that too. Might have taken me a week though, I like to be thorough with my research.

The article's on their website now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16715883
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sidebar with heading "Helmuts (sic) and injuries" - subediting? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The insurance discount is interesting
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good ole Beeb, using the example of a semi-pro snowboarder who was going off a kicker no normal punter would dare take on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin wrote:

Hmm, more realistic to have a discount for skiers .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tiffin wrote:

I can't find a button for it on their website.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, Can o' worms Smile
Tiger2, Yeah I looked but couldn't see it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tiger2, here: http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/travelinsurance/use-your-head-2011-homepage.asp

Oh and EXTREME CAUTION, the following link may cause rage and apoplexy amonst some:

http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/travelinsurance/use-your-head-2011-facts.asp

It's like a page specifically designed to antagonise... I'm pro helmet and even I want to smack them silly...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"65.8% of skiers and snowboarders have had an injury on the slopes" Shocked

Where on earth do they get their information? I am sure that if the figures really were that high, either premiums would be substantially higher or cover wouldn't be available.

Either everyone else is walking wounded or everyone I know has been really lucky and never had an injury (although I did break my leg on the slopes Embarassed )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
100% of users called Tony Ellwood have had a major injury on the slopes, therefore BAN THIS KILLER CRAZE. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most damning statement in report, a helmet only protects up to 12mph and that is not combined speed. I have not ever worn one until this year except to race, together with goggles the lack of spatial awareness is complete, and I understand now why borders and skiers act in this era as they do. My advice skier/border beware!

"There are no rules anymore" as one border told a group of us instructors as he nearly ploughed into us slaloming along the piste markers at GS speed giving us a mouthful of filth to get out of his way. So it's everyone for himself in this selfish age; cutting above groups off-piste risking avalanche, smashing into people, nutting people on chairs, get that armour on for piste rage!

So something needs to be done, probably a big increase in lift pass prices to cover accident call outs and increase piste patrols to police the loons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tony Ellwood wrote:
"65.8% of skiers and snowboarders have had an injury on the slopes" :shock:

Where on earth do they get their information? I am sure that if the figures really were that high, either premiums would be substantially higher or cover wouldn't be available.

Either everyone else is walking wounded or everyone I know has been really lucky and never had an injury

I guess it depends upon how you define an injury. Probably most people have done minor things at some point - bruises, cutting yourself on over-sharp edges, dropping a ski boot onto a bare foot (actually it was my son's boot and he dropped it onto my foot), etc - without going anywhere near making an insurance claim.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the BBC lunchtime news now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You don't know the half of it - I've had more than my fair share of claims on travel insurance off the slope as well. So probably should be banned from travelling abroad full stop Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cynic wrote:
Most damning statement in report, a helmet only protects up to 12mph and that is not combined speed.

Depends how you read it. I doubt it is saying "above 12mph it makes no difference whether or not you're wearing a helmet".
snow report
Does falling off a bar whilst dancing in ski boots count as a "ski injury?" Otherwise I'm not in that 65.8%.

And either way the injury was not serious!
snow report
farlep99 only if you were wearing a helmet Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Most damning statement in report, a helmet only protects up to 12mph and that is not combined speed.

Ah but that's full protection, it will still provide some protection at greater speeds, this is why racers wear helmets, it may mean the difference between dead and eventually recover.

I don't wear a helmet and I don't particularly want to have to wear a helmet either, what bugs me are idiots who don't know there are rules to being on the slopes or who do but completely ignore them, I'd give them a single warning and then ban them on the next offence, these days when so many use electronic cards surely it wouldn't be hard to have a device that could show that someone had been red carded and then banned.
snow report
Piccadilly, yup. Saw it. In Scotland helmet use up 40%, head injury rate unaffected. Says it all, really.
snow conditions
Where do they get these figures from?

I started wearing my helmet about 8 years ago after an accident, also after seeing our accident prone friend have several tumbles per skiing holiday and often landing on his head, or using other objects to stop suddenly also with his head.

The snow in Val D'Isere looked lovely on the report, lucky, lucky camera crew.
snow conditions
Question for admin.

Can you introduce a feature in user preferences to conceal threads by keywords please. Sort of on the same lines as 'ignore this silly old snowhead' but just replacing 'snowhead' with 'subject' and in fact, 'subject' specifically being 'helmet'.

Thanks Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

farlep99 only if you were wearing a helmet

I ALWAYS wear a helmet while drinking! Especially in Austria!
snow report
I bought one this year, but have survived about 30 seasons without one. It seemed a bit hypocritical making the kids wear them when I didn't.

Only had one minor injury when I landed on a rock and needed a couple of stitches. A helmet wouldn't have helped though - they were in my hip!
snow report
If you're seriously concerned that all the other idots are jeopardising your safety perhaps you might be skiing in the wronng place/ resort (for you). There's plenty of places you can ski where your fellow users are probably pretty savvy and competent.
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:

Good to see some insurance is going in the right direction. If I want to fit a roll bar on my mx5 the insurance company says "what? that clearly means you plan on rolling your car so pay more please", could see them doing the same for helmets.
snow report
tiffin wrote:

Good to see some insurance is going in the right direction. If I want to fit a roll bar on my mx5 the insurance company says "what? that clearly means you plan on rolling your car so pay more please", could see them doing the same for helmets.
snow conditions
I tried a helmet for the first time this year, chose one with what seemed like lots of ventilation, I managed just two runs with it on before feeling like my head was in an oven, even tho the temp was about -3, it was hot, itchy, restricted peripheral vision and hearing (tho I have seen helmets that dont cover the ears). For me, wearing a helmet wipes out a huge amount of the enjoyment of skiing. The helmet stayed in the room for the rest of the hol.

In my experience of skiing, 62 weeks over 27 years, I have seen/experienced three head injuries.
1/ Member of group, minor cut to temple after falling on rock whilst skiing
2/ Me, slipped whilst carrying skis into garage, skis landed on head, slight bump
3/ Stranger, deep gash to head blood everywhere, icycle from roof hit him on the head whilst walking to pub.

ie the time off the slopes/ apres ski is more dangerous in my experience.
snow conditions
tangowaggon, you must be such a hot head! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="D G Orf"]
Quote:

......I don't wear a helmet and I don't particularly want to have to wear a helmet either, what bugs me are idiots who don't know there are rules to being on the slopes or who do but completely ignore them, I'd give them a single warning and then ban them on the next offence, these days when so many use electronic cards surely it wouldn't be hard to have a device that could show that someone had been red carded and then banned.

It grieves me to say that we do now really need more/better policing of the dangerous people on the ski slopes.

It should be possible for these 'police' to issue on-the-spot fines for dangerous behaviour. The fines would hopefully pay for the cost of the policing.

If the miscreant refused to pay, a simple hand-held scanner could read their lift pass information and then suspend it's use until the fine was paid.

The whole lift pass system could also keep records of the 'fines' and anyone who reached a certain level of fines could have the lift pass totally cancelled.
snow conditions
narc wrote:
tiffin wrote:

Insurance compnanies usually work on actuarial evidence. Judging by the Sottish figures reported by the BBC, there is nothing to support any change in current practice.
ski holidays
Quote:

tangowaggon, you must be such a hot head!

I am actually, quite literally, I'm no porker and moderately fit but I always get hot doing anything physical, I run to get fit for skiing, 3 miles in 21min is my pace but even when it's 2'c I'm usually carrying my sweatshirt for the last 1/2 mile and running in the summer is impossible as the heat leaves me nauseous. Compulsory helmets would come close to ending my skiing. Funny actually, because I don't think twice about a helmet when motorcycling but thats hardly a physical activity and I dont go on the bike on the hottest summer days.
snow conditions
Mr Marmot, This system has been used for some 20 years in some resort, a ski police officer simply takes your lift pass away for the day and you collect it from the lift office the day after.
snow report
tangowaggon, I'm like you - I generate heat like anything. With my old lid, I could wring the sweat out of it in about 10 minutes of boarding, but the new one is brilliant. Warm but not stiffling so, and well ventalated so the steam escapes - you want to look for air flow through the helmet rather than just lots of holes...
snow report
I don't think the stats on the BBC website article are all that helpful. Then again that's pretty much all stats for you! I think the thing with people in helmets

I wore a helmet for the first time this year which I had picked up in the decathlon sale and it was great. I really didn't notice I was wearing it except from when the chin strap got caught up with my neckwarmer but not a problem. It was good for keeping my goggles attached to me and not steaming up when I wanted them off my face as they were sat on the outside of the helmet. In the rain there my anorak hood fitted over it easily so I didn't get soggy through the vents and I didn't really get too hot with it either. To be honest the worst thing was having helmet hair at the end of the day! I pretty much figured that I wear a helmet when out on my bike so why not when out on skis. It doesn't make me take any more risks than I would without a helmet, it's just extra security really.
snow conditions
I must confess,I've never quite understood the venom that a helmet discussion often provokes(and we've had a few on here).
I wear a helmet,always have,and it comes from when the kids started,when I felt it essential(for them).Long since,its as much a part of my kit as gloves.Others feel differently,no problem,its up to them.Will it ever become compulsory,maybe,probably(if driven by the insurance companies).But we are a very long way from that IMHO.Though I'm sure the general use of helmets has increased in recent years,most probably from kids getting older who have always worn them?
Does it increase risk taking?I'm doubtfull about that.....if you're an idiot you will tend to behave like one,regardless.
I tend to take a fairly simple view.Apart from the obvious(awareness,technique etc),there is little I can do to protect the various bits of my body,and a helmet offers some protection to the most vunerable bit.
A helmet offers 'some' protection which,by default,is better than none,plus,I don't much fancy glueing my GoPro to my forehead...and the headband thing is pants wink
ski holidays
I don't see the problem with wearing a helmet, but one of the related articles made me laugh - it's titled "ski helmet use makes sense" - no kidding!

All these stats, with 12mph etc.... Wearing a helmet is going to protect your head more than not wearing one surely (tees up the airplane jokes)...

I see it like this - I wear a helmet when riding a mountain bike, which I am pretty competent with yet I still fell off 4years ago, broke my elbow and hit my head on the ground. Luckily I was wearing a helmet. I've been riding a bike since I was a kid.

Skiing - I've only skiied 4 weeks so not wearing a helmet seems a little silly as you never know whats going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I can ski, but then I can cycle too. If I can fall off a bike and hit my head, when I am a good cyclist then what are the chances of me falling and hitting my head on an icy patch on two bits of wood when Ive only skiied for 4 weeks...

Puzzled
latest report
dudes

oh ffs

ok bye
latest report
Cynic wrote:
Mr Marmot, This system has been used for some 20 years in some resort, a ski police officer simply takes your lift pass away for the day and you collect it from the lift office the day after.

Yes, I know. And it doesn't seem to be working, from my experiences.

So that is why I said "more/better policing".
snow conditions
snowskisnow wrote:
I must confess,I've never quite understood the venom that a helmet discussion often provokes(and we've had a few on here).
I wear a helmet,always have,and it comes from when the kids started,when I felt it essential(for them).Long since,its as much a part of my kit as gloves.Others feel differently,no problem,its up to them.Will it ever become compulsory,maybe,probably(if driven by the insurance companies).But we are a very long way from that IMHO.Though I'm sure the general use of helmets has increased in recent years,most probably from kids getting older who have always worn them?
Does it increase risk taking?I'm doubtfull about that.....if you're an idiot you will tend to behave like one,regardless.
I tend to take a fairly simple view.Apart from the obvious(awareness,technique etc),there is little I can do to protect the various bits of my body,and a helmet offers some protection to the most vunerable bit.
A helmet offers 'some' protection which,by default,is better than none,plus,I don't much fancy glueing my GoPro to my forehead...and the headband thing is pants wink

I wear a helmet when skiing.

I fully understand and support those who do not want to be forced to wear a helmet. They have many good reasons not to do so.

I can see no appreciable benefit to me in making other people wear a helmet when they are skiing.

I can't understand why there should be any 'venom' in discussions on this matter. Each group is surely mainly unaffected by the choice of the other.
ski holidays
I think the helmet debate comes down to the fact that people in general don't like to be told what to do (especially us yanks!). Making anything compulsory tends to turn people off (in general).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy