Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/tkxtBrHP84I Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now available on BBC i player
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Complaint sent snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't see why everyone is moaning about this so much, the cut off mid way through the Kevin Pierce piece was clearly as BBC scheduling mistake because they were running behind. If you watch it on i player you can see the end and they mention Sarah Burke after the KP story. Regarding the content, if you don't like certain parts you have a remote, why don't you use it!?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cbrooks
Welcome to snowHead
Don't be ridiculous. Ski Sunday is sacred. It should be on a Sunday and be about skiing. Its presenters should be well turned out and privately educated.
It's not too much to expect.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The complaints are over the poor coverage of a sports event for me. The beeb has precious little sport, (if you exclude darts and snooker, ) and I assume they paid for the rights to highlights of the downhill. Once paid they should have done it justice, which for me they didn't. They should have a little more coverage surely of snow sports. not cram this into 3/4 hour. If they need to put this out late or on 3 or 4 then fine. There are so many repeats on presumeably because of cost, you would have thought the lack of coverage of sports events was cost based, and once they had paid they should squeeze the maximum benefit out of it. The ending was amateurish to say the least. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The cutting of the program was a genuine technical mistake due to the BBC mis-booking circuit time through BT following the overrun of the snooker (from what I understand) the full prog is now up on Iplayer complete with the mention of Sarah Burke's death.

There was no deliberate intention to shoten Ski Sunday just to make up schedule time.

Just because we all seem to be developing a paranoia does not mean they wont get us all in the end.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
betterinblack wrote:
flowa wrote:
Green Valley, California is a boarders-only resort.

I don't think it is ,last I heard they'd opened "The Big Air" up to skiiers before lack of business closed it.
I'm sure there was another one in So Cal that tried aswell and ended up allowing skiers.
Cool, cheers for the update. Suppose it goes to show that the numbers aren't there for the reverse 'business case'. TBH, I don't really care either way.

Having skied Alta last season it made for a novel change not having boarders around but it's also not a very 'family' resort either and that made for a very nice change too. There is so much to traverse that it felt like we had the place to ourselves.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Now available on BBC i player

Thanks for the heads up, just watched the last 2 to 3 mins, and the mention of Sarah Burke is there, fair play to the BBC for getting this in which must have been a late addition to the programme plan, however I really do not think it was a tech issue with the programme ending early, more it was 6.00pm and they wanted to catch up to programming times and therefore pulled the plug before the end, and by the look of it someone pressed the end button before the sync was ready for the break and thats why we ended up a transmission fault screen.

Then to have BBC program ads rather than the end of the show, really rubbed some salt in the wounds.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I seem to be in a minority here but I quite enjoyed the show. I like the length of the race coverage, snappy enough so it doesn't reach F1 style repetitiveness. However I do miss the coverage that you used to get of some of the later skiers, where you knew that if they were on they were either going to cause a big surprise, or have a spectacular tumble. Maybe it doesn't happen anymore?

I'd prefer if it was maybe an hour long, 30 mins of racing and 30 mins of a magazine programme with resort features, ski adventures and technique tips, but then I remember High Altitude getting slagged off rotten on here too. You can never please everyone.

Personally I'm just happy to have a winter sports programme on mainstream tv, as opposed to endless home makeover or cookery shows.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitters, No you're not,I just watched it on iplayer,and enjoyed it as well.Cuche was awesome,and a very fitting end to his career.I like the insights that Bell brings to the coverage,but a little more on other areas would be good.However,there is only so much you can cram in and,on the whole,they do a pretty good job IMO.
Didn't quite get the Alta bit Confused Ski only...so what.As made clear,its the resorts decision and,if it suits their target market,that's fine with me.There are quite a few other places to ski I believe wink And if Ed Leigh wants to challenge what he percieves as 'old school' thinking,thats up to him.Clearly the regulars see it differently,and that's up to them.Hard to see what gives him the right to criticise any resorts policy.If it aint your thing,don't go.

The full programme has nice piece on Kevin Pierce,and a short tribute to Sarah Burke.All in all,not too bad in the time allowed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice to know that the Sarah Burke tribute would've been there without the broadcast snafu. As for the Ed Leigh Vs Alta piece...hmm. It doens't work without getting to the 'Why?' behind the ban remaining in place. Is it a technical thing? A predudicial thing? A 'lifestyle' thing?

Personally, it really doesn't bother me as a snowboarder that there are three places on earth that don't want my business, thats their choice and i'll vote with my feet and my dollars. After all, if Alta's opinion is "We don't need 'em" it'd be hard for the rider community to shout foul after Terje Haakonsen's much celebrated stance on the Olympics.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got my reply from the BBC complaints dept, pretty much standard stuff, I guess it will be a standard reply to all complaints!

Thank you for contacting us about the episode of Ski Sunday that was broadcast on 22 January 2012.

We understand you were disappointed that the schedule was disrupted due to live coverage of the Masters Snooker final overrunning and we raised this with the schedulers.

Unfortunately live sporting events such as this can overrun and have a knock on effect to the published schedule. When such decisions are made they are done so after careful consideration. The match was very closely tied at 4-3 going into the final game of the afternoon. While Ski Sunday could be delayed, the snooker final was live and viewers would have expected us to continue with our coverage until it had concluded. The decision was therefore made to stay with the snooker and show Ski Sunday immediately afterwards. We kept viewers updated with various announcements and an on-screen banner when Ski Sunday was due to start.

With regards to the abrupt end to Ski Sunday this was due to a technical error which resulted in the final minute or so of the programme being cut off. The continuity announcer immediately apologised for this and again we’re sorry if your enjoyment of Sky Sunday was marred on this occasion.

The episode of Ski Sunday that was shown on 22 January is currently available to view in full via the BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b6998/Ski_Sunday_2012_22_01_2012/

We hope this information is helpful and would also like to assure you that we've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback we compile daily for programme makers and senior management within the BBC. The audience logs are important documents that can help shape future decisions and ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available to BBC staff across the Corporation.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.
Kind Regards
BBC Complaints
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, That's all well and good for their UK visitors.....we can't see iPlayer material.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dazman wrote:
livetoski, That's all well and good for their UK visitors.....we can't see iPlayer material.

If you want access to the I-Player you could always get yourself a UK IP by using a VPN set up with an IP sharing service:

http://vpnuk.net/shared-ip.html

Can't say I've used that company in particular, but its a common thing among ex-pats in Dubai etc Wink
snow conditions
steven0123, dazman, yep agreed a VPN or Proxy server should do it, the BBC just pick up your IP address in Ireland.
latest report
dazman, I just use the free expat shield for the odd occasion when I need to use iplayer or similar. You get a few background ads pop up, but only if you have it running.
latest report
livetoski wrote:
Just got my reply from the BBC complaints dept, pretty much standard stuff, I guess it will be a standard reply to all complaints!

Thank you for contacting us about the episode of Ski Sunday that was broadcast on 22 January 2012.

We understand you were disappointed that the schedule was disrupted due to live coverage of the Masters Snooker final overrunning and we raised this with the schedulers.

Unfortunately live sporting events such as this can overrun and have a knock on effect to the published schedule. When such decisions are made they are done so after careful consideration. The match was very closely tied at 4-3 going into the final game of the afternoon. While Ski Sunday could be delayed, the snooker final was live and viewers would have expected us to continue with our coverage until it had concluded. The decision was therefore made to stay with the snooker and show Ski Sunday immediately afterwards. We kept viewers updated with various announcements and an on-screen banner when Ski Sunday was due to start.

With regards to the abrupt end to Ski Sunday this was due to a technical error which resulted in the final minute or so of the programme being cut off. The continuity announcer immediately apologised for this and again we’re sorry if your enjoyment of Sky Sunday was marred on this occasion.

The episode of Ski Sunday that was shown on 22 January is currently available to view in full via the BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b6998/Ski_Sunday_2012_22_01_2012/

We hope this information is helpful and would also like to assure you that we've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback we compile daily for programme makers and senior management within the BBC. The audience logs are important documents that can help shape future decisions and ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available to BBC staff across the Corporation.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.
Kind Regards
BBC Complaints

Identical to mine!
Nice to see they answered my query re Sarah Burke Mad
Nobody apologised for the cut off on my TV Puzzled
ski holidays
There was no apology on the HD channel.
snow conditions
Red button NOW , live slalom FROM SCHLADMING About 20 to go in second leg
latest report
alex_heney, just watched! Awesome stuff! One hell of a crowd too... piste side flares and fireworks were like scenes from an Italian footy match!
snow conditions
And snowHeads are well represented there tonight! At least 10 there that I know of!
latest report
Samerberg Sue, ha nice! Who went?
snow report
alex_heney,
nice one,just caught the last 6,great stuff.
can't imagine what its like in the tenne bar tonight !!!!!!
latest report
MoodyFFS, Flangesax (x2), admin, Timberwolf, Waynos, kooky, and a few I've met this week but can't remember their names Embarassed

Dumping there all day and really has not stopped since I got here on Sunday.
latest report
Snowboarders should have separate coverage. It's a totally different sport. We get separate coverage for F1 Grand Prix and Moto GP, why not give the boardartists their own glamorous rebel show. Call it "Board on Sunday".
@Immer Schuss (Groovy name) You sound very authoritative when you say "
Quote:

Forget concentrating on just racing,not enough people interested full stop

Do you have any stats for that?
I just look at the thousands of people lining the slopes and think that there is great interest.
Shocked
ski holidays
Didn't Graham Bell pop on here a while back to say that there wasn't enough interest to warrant just a ski racing show? Or did I imagine that?
latest report
@DG Orf
Wengen. I love that area and have had many a memorable ski there.
Quote:

I'm not a particularly fast recreational skier but I've been down the Lauberhorn race course several times over the years, on a good day even I can manage nearly 100kph through the hannegschuss a bit faster than the 10 to 20 mph you suggest, mind you the racers go through at 160kph or more, when I was a lot younger, much fitter and probably a lot less frightened of skiing to my limit I think my ski school class did it in about 6-7 minutes which is about 1/3rd the speed of a racer

100 clicks - Hey that's impressive.
The Lauberhorn DH race course is 4455m long, your class took 6 minutes, that's averaging 12.38 m/s, and that works out at about 43 kph, which is about 27mph.
The racers are touching 160kph , 99mph This is all good stuff. Thanks for the calibration.

I loved it when the SS Boys tandem skydived the Eiger. They only managed 30mph faster than the Downhill racers' top speed!
Turning is an admission of defeat!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Snowboarders should have separate coverage. It's a totally different sport. We get separate coverage for F1 Grand Prix and Moto GP, why not give the boardartists their own glamorous rebel show. Call it "Board on Sunday".
@Immer Schuss (Groovy name) You sound very authoritative when you say " Quote:

Did you not hear the part where they said that the boarder cross pulled in more viewers than the DH at the Last Olympics?

As a boarder I enjoy watching the Ski racing segment, but as others have stated, it's a magazine program now, not a ski racing program so it should have a wider selection of topics. Besides, our "chalet maid snowboarders" are more successful than our full time DH skiers so it should be given more air time (and funding) Wink Toofy Grin
snow report
....oh and I did think this weeks episode was poor. The Alta segment seemed a bit of a waste of money.
snow conditions
steven0123, You sir....are a total diamond!
snow report
joydivision wrote:
....oh and I did think this weeks episode was poor. The Alta segment seemed a bit of a waste of money.

or a good excuse for Leigh to go and ski/board an area at licence payers expense. complete crap report.
snow conditions
Quote:

joydivision wrote:

shoogly wrote:
or a good excuse for Leigh to go and ski/board an area at licence payers expense. complete crap report.

Did you see how Leigh did that? We can't criticize him for waste-of-time boardartistry, he used skis. (I won't call what he did on them "skiing").

They should replace both our heroes with Chemmy on skates. wink
latest report
Question: "Why Send Ed Leigh to the Skiing World Cup Downhill in Kitzbuhel 2012?".
Answer is "To provide him with a link to send him to Alta in the USA, of course".
(Kitzbuhel when the World Cup comes to town ignores him as a 'fish out of water' but at least they let him do his board-thing)
Why Send BoardDude Leigh to Alta in USA at great expense?
Answer - to propagate the "unfair discrimination against snowboarders" (Alta don't allow the use of snowboards, they insist on the use of skis.)
(It would be amusing if it wasn't pathetic. Rad 80's youth anarchist bad-boy drop-out complains that people don't love him now. (It's just soo *Unfair!!*)).
Why manufacture a "Discrimination" angle against snowboarders?
Answer - to devalue the Ski Sunday Brand.
Why Devalue Ski Sunday as a brand?
Answer - to appear to be cool, radical, equalitized, not-elitist
and to indignantly change the famous "Ski Sunday" name to "Marshmallow Sundae" or "Snowb-all-OK Sunday"somesuch piffle.

I say use the Ski Sunday name for all forms of Skiing.
Use a different name for other snowsports that are not skiing.
latest report
SkiPresto, well they did kinda do that with the whole "High Altitude" thing... I loved that show too... i suspect the beeb budget just didn't stretch... Sad
ski holidays
I have to say it seems a real shame that so little of ski sunday these days seems to cover ski racing. I don't mind the odd magazine article style pieces like the bit on Kevin Pierce but it seems that these days there is more magaziney stuff than the actual racing. Personally I'd much rather they have 2 separate programmes with ski sunday covering as much racing as possible and then high altitude for all the other bits but I guess there just isn't the interest to justify 2 whole snow based programmes across the whole of the BBC.
snow conditions
joydivision wrote:
Quote:

@Immer Schuss (Groovy name) You sound very authoritative when you say " Quote:

Did you not hear the part where they said that the boarder cross pulled in more viewers than the DH at the Last Olympics?

Yes, I did hear Ed Leigh's triumphant tones announcing this about Boarder Cross Olympic event. rolling eyes
So Do you mean that Olympic Boarder Cross isn't racing? Confused

And then, If the logic is correct that "... not enough people interested [in DH racing]", then it wouldn't be much of a boast for BoarderCross to gain more viewers than something that is supposed to be uninteresting. Puzzled
ski holidays
Found it...

grahambell wrote:
Cheers for the feedback, it's Graham with an H by the way not some twisted English spelling of the name... Yes I knew Fanara, Richard and Jansrud would have a good chance and said so the night before at the bib draw, because I've been watching the racing so far this season on Eurosport.

Eurosport is great for live ski racing, Ski Sunday is a magazine programme that needs to accommodate a much wider audience. Last weekends show peaked at 1.8 Million viewers, I figure that at least half of those have never set foot on skis.

If the weather holds for the weekend it should be a great Laurberhorn.
ski holidays
A response from the BBC.

"Ski Sunday scheduling, BBC Two, 22 January 2012
Complaint

We received complaints from viewers about changes to the billed start time of Ski Sunday on 22 January 2012.

The BBC's Response

We understand some viewers were disappointed that the BBC Two schedule was disrupted on 22 January due to live coverage of the Masters Snooker final overrunning.

Unfortunately live sporting events such as this can overrun and have a knock on effect to the published schedule. When such decisions are made they are done so after careful consideration. The match was very closely tied at 4-3 going into the final game of the afternoon. While Ski Sunday could be delayed, the snooker final was live and viewers would have expected us to continue with our coverage until it had concluded. The decision was therefore made to stay with the snooker and show Ski Sunday immediately afterwards. We kept viewers updated with various announcements and displayed an on-screen banner when Ski Sunday was due to start.

As always Ski Sunday is available to view on the BBC iPlayer for up to seven days after the original broadcast."

I too agree that it was pretty poor to lose part of the show. But I do think we are too eager to complain. There is no chance that any 45 minute program, including the highlights of the ski racing is going to provide all viewers with what they want to see. I found the piece on Alta interesting even if I didn't find it directly relates to me.

I have not seen the end of the program which can be viewed on iPlayer, but if they have not mentioned the truely sad death of Sarah Burke, it would be disgraceful.
snow report
If TV can sell lengthy, frequently broadcast programmes about building custom vehicles in slow motion (American Chopper etc) surely it doesn't take the business acumen of an Archbishop to make programmes about fast, glamorous snowsports in the glistening mountain paradises from all over the world.
Featuring athletes of superhuman strength and bravery, travelling at speeds which would be illegal on a motorway down twisty courses that are so steep people need crampons to walk on, with no brakes on the skis, launching off 50 metre long jumps in a death-cheating race to achieve glory.

I would watch anything that is of high quality, high skill done by people who have earned the right to talk about it. (G. Bell is still there!). I will continue to criticize lazy programming, lazy sports and blaguers-with-attitude who try to claim equality with lifelong athletes.

Here's some ideas: If you want "Top Gear On Ice", get the Top Gear guys to do the programmes!
If you are wanting to settle a pub argument about "Skiercross is better/ no, Boardercross is better": have mixed ski/board events)
(Have a Le-Mans start Razz )
If Ski Sunday wants more viewers - Ask Chemmy to present the programme. Get Bell and Allcott to race the opener run! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy