Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problem with whitedot one's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey

I got my whitedot's bases filled and ground over christmas and since I've had that done they feel like completely different skis and not in a good way.

Since I've had them (had about 4 weeks on them now) I've kept them on an 88 degree side edge angle but since the bases were ground they bite way too much in turns. Trying to skid in turns is almost impossible and even after I tried blunting the edges a bit (i know you shouldnt do this) to see if that was the cause, nothing changed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or does anyone know what the specified edge angles are for the skis? I wonder if the angle might have changed after the grind.

Any help would be massively appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like they need 1 degree on the base. Base grind will have got rid of existing base angle.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
would that not make them sharper and therefore bite more?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nope returns you to 89 combined angle

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/section/9/47/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry, brain fart. Yeah good point. I'll give a try, thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BiG_tYrOnE, Info on Jons site gives a base angle of 1 degree.The grind will have removed most/all of this.Would have expected any decent shop to have advised you accordingly Puzzled
Check with a decent straight edge and,if so,take em back and complain.I would expect any decent tech to have renewed the base angle or,at the very least,to have told you it would need doing rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BiG_tYrOnE, It's not the ski's or the specific edge angle - it's poor servicing Twisted Evil

What happens is that the service shop sticks the ski's in the automatic machine but then doesn't de-burr the edges. The result is the ski comes to you with a microscopic burr which results a ski that's awful, VERY grabby, very difficult to carve. Sometimes you can feel the burr with a nail or the edge feels super sharp but rough. Other times it's not possible to feel.

Perhaps 50% of my shop serviced (base\edge) ski's come back like this and it really pi$$es me off. There must be so many skiers out there thinking they can't ski due to poor servicing.

The last time it happened to me I borrowed some files and did a quick and dirty edge\base job on them. Fixed. When I got back to the UK I serviced them myself by hand and went back to the shop and asked for a discount.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

but then doesn't de-burr the edges

but, doesn't the OP trying to blunt the edges a bit have the effect of taking off the burr?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gra wrote:
Quote:

but then doesn't de-burr the edges

but, doesn't the OP trying to blunt the edges a bit have the effect of taking off the burr?

I guess it depends on how it's been done. A friend had a pair like this and we tried a 'gummy' stone expecting that to be enough but it wasn't. I think I tried a gummy stone on the last pair of mine but had to resort to a files. Otherwise in the past I've had to get them serviced again.

I know people who suggest that the problem is that the tip's need de-tuning and have used rocks as a 'make do' solution, but I suspect it's the whole ski that suffers the problem.

However I noticed on my 'Directors' the sticker suggested de-tuning the tips before use so that could apply to the One too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
so that could apply to the One too.

aha, the good old one-two...

(I'll get my coat.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fr0sty, Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BiG_tYrOnE, Two likely causes, as mentioned above: either no/too little base edge angle or hanging burr left on (which'd be full length which is why detuning the tips won't cure it) - or even both.

Why you having a ski ground that's only done four weeks?

This reminds me of when I was at Decathlon store recently & their 'tech' was telling me that a ski could not have a base repair without being ground rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bought the One's this season. Had a week on them and had an absolute blast. Surprised to see the OP with this problem, have them serviced properly and they'll sing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for the replies guys, I'll get hold of a file guide for my base edge or take them up to bartletts as I'm up in london next weekend. I got them ground as I had put load of gouges in the base from skiing last easter and the guys in skiset suggested that was the best idea. Although the bases were immaculate once they did thatI guess that's all they did...

fastandicy, I loved my ones too until this happend. hopefully a re-tune should sort the problem Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy