Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Brits demand Ski Stazi" sez More Th>n via metro article

Poster: A snowHead
From Metro this morning (p20)
Quote:

More than nine in ten Britons want the rules of the road applied to ski resorts – including police patrols armed with speed guns and breathalysers, research reveals. Half of them warn that out-of-control skiers are posing a ‘real and serious danger’ and say stop-off bars are to blame, as alcohol and a lack of awareness are the most common excuses given for skiing too fast. Others want speed limit signs to line the piste. Those who ignore them should face penalty points and bans.

‘It’s surprising how many skiers would like to see motoring-style deterrents and punishments,’ said Matt Pernet from insurer More Than, which carried out the survey.

Nearly one in three agreed speed skiing was a growing issue in what has become an ‘aggressive and selfish’ culture, adding they had been hit and injured by somebody skiing too fast.

But the more than four in ten who want helmets made compulsory are skiing uphill, as many others claim they are either uncomfortable or they prefer to feel the wind in their hair.

A quarter simply felt they looked better without one. ‘They may not be seen as “sexy” but they could save your life,’ Mr Pernet added.

MoreTh>n do like these January survey results, last years showed skiers like to ski while drunk off their back bottoms from the night before...

Speed limits signs, Penalty Points and Bans, on what? Who exactly is filling this nonsense out? Slow zones and such, fine but fixed limits, pfft.

Plus the AUDACITY of them to start a helmet debate. A company who assesses risk should know better.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh my God! I do agree to a certain extent, i.e narrow pistes and lift areas etc but to be honest its just getting stupid now. We all know the risks that are involved. So will our skis or boards need to be equipped with speedos?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyfella, I was thinking that, or we could all get those €600 ski goggles with the GPS speedo...

The Metro is really cr@p. It was particularly funny back in December when they put out an article about how there was no snow in the Alps even as it was falling heavily (and forecast to continue). Clearly they'd written it ages before and just kept it for when they had nothing else to put out, and hadn't bothered to check the weather forecast when they decided to publish it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobmcstuff, that was funny, it started to dump the day after the article - they did sort-of reference that article this week in another piece today about Italy (p43) starts "After the much publicised lack of snow in Europe earlier in the season..." yeah, by you. "The alps have been spectacularly dumped on"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what have those brilliant journalists been reporting about in Italy? I'm not working today so no free metro! I'm off out to Alta Badia next month so id like to know of any monsters/surprises or whatever rubbish they print are waiting for me...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They're running a quote from Ed Blomfeld who's the editor at Whitelines (do you have to be called Ed to have edited that mag?). Basically he saying that Italy is a great place for boarding this year and resorts like Alta Badia and Livigno have invested heavily and have some of the best freestyle parks in Europe.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
British skiers want piste's policed for crimes they are most guilty of shocker!!!!

How about a penalty points system?

Skiing in the worlds worst race tuck (With snowplough) & Poles in the air 2 Points

Skiing while Drunk 4 Points

Wearing a novelty hat 2 points.

Owning Goggles that display gps and speed infor 3 points
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, so a bit of good news for once! Well that's a pretty nice change! I was expecting some bad news that would dampen my spirits! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Owning Goggles that display gps and speed infor 3 points "

How many points for using those in France if they display where Les Gendarmes du Neige are hiding with their speed-check gun?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strange, I'm surprised that people out touring or skinning should be so keen on helmets....I'd have thought that they would be the ones who would find them uncomfotably hot.

Quote:

But the more than four in ten who want helmets made compulsory are skiing uphill, as many others claim they are either uncomfortable or they prefer to feel the wind in their hair.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was spitting blood when I saw this. If they are going to do this then I want a ban on the useless twonks who laterally snowplow at 2mph across a junction between two major pistes then decide that the epicentre is the perfect place to get out the thermos for a cup of tea and then complain if someone skis within two feet of them! Run them down?!? Such people are lucky - LUCKY! - to get my p-tex across the back of their bobbly hats (heads included). They are getting off light. There is no doubt that some people on the slope are a tad dangerous but by far and away the greatest danger is the herds of bad skiers inhabiting slopes way above their performance level. If they want to step up, the've got to man up and take their licks. Otherwise, we should set one slope per resort aside for these useless nimby's and they can annoy each other.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and I refuse to wear a helmet!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Answer is for the Brits to stay away from Europe & Ski in the USA. Very Happy

If Europe ever adopts US style rules, I think that will be time to give up. Skullie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp +1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It does seem to be thje case thjat there are more and more people skiing too fast with a "get out of my way attitude" tho. Particularly bad in Soll last week. Although not as bad as the boarder who came up behind me, and then squeezed past my rhight shoulder and tried to push me out of his way. Given I had children on my left, the swift application of my right forearm to his helmet produced the desired result of him face planting into the bank of snow to his left. I was really was rather cross.

Proof that we skiers have more leverage tho Smile
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:
British skiers want piste's policed for crimes they are most guilty of shocker!!!!

Skiing in the worlds worst race tuck (With snowplough) & Poles in the air 2 Points

Wearing a helmet if you are middle aged and overweight - 6 points
latest report
These are probably the same people that come to the mountains for 'freedom'.
ski holidays
Quote:

Although not as bad as the boarder who came up behind me, and then squeezed past my rhight shoulder and tried to push me out of his way. Given I had children on my left, the swift application of my right forearm to his helmet produced the desired result of him face planting into the bank of snow to his left.

A similar thing happened with my boyfriend in Italy and a ski instructor who witnessed the incident told him "next time hit him with your poles"
latest report
I think there could be a thread in this points offences!!
snow report
Maybe you should have to pass a test to even be allowed on the piste and a progressively harder test to access blue,red and black runs. Laughing
ski holidays
Thank *insert deity* that the British public don't control ski resort policy. F Idiots.
snow conditions
There MUST be at least 1 'head out there who insures with MoreThan who participated in this survey...
snow report
Shock and horror, a survey commisioned by an insurance company advocates more care and less fun !!

You can make any survey say exactly what you want it to.

For instance, and not to start a ruck, but

"Do You have children?"

YES

" Do you want to take care of your children"

YES

"Would you make sure they are protected from harm ?"

YES

"Do helmets reduce head injuries on the road and in sport"

YES

"If your child hit their head on a rock, would you like them to be wearing a helmet ?"

YES

"Do you think helmets should be compulsory for Skiers ?"

Err YES

But I dont, its just the way the questions are written.
latest report
Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Teletubby headcam 4 points
snow conditions
Quite frankly, I do not believe it. It's a collection of half-arsed stats, without context, with the only quote coming from and insurance company that have a vested interest in applying conditions to insurance.
snow conditions
We've ALL used our poles/fists/hips to propel some mindless, pushy teenage european snowboarder off a cliff .... scratch that .... into a snow drift. It's part of their purpose to provide such light amusement to skiers that such 'borders are allowed into resorts at all. But you can see where trying to impose a penalty points system on their ilk will end - the parents will have to pay in the end for the ones that get their collar felt and for the rest some poor, unpopular kid is going to find that he has committed 2,385 different ski related offences on one day in 20 resorts in 7 different countries (I'm betting he'll be called 'Marion' or something equally gender neutral so the girls can get away with it as well).
latest report
Trouble is - all things are relative.

To a windy beginner - me skiing down a slope totally in control probably looks scary fast (it isn't - honest!). To me a downhill racer in total control looks scary fast. The difference is I'm good enough to tell if someone skiing fast is in control.

I suspect 80% of Brit skiers probably wouldn't have a clue - same as the 35mph everywhere brigade driving - but don't get me started on them rolling eyes wink

But then I was scared by the two guys that came down Saulire at warp 9 when I was skiing the 3V's at Christmas - I'd never seen anyone get that much air over a normal bump on piste (several feet). Nice skiing -but was it really appropriate on a busy-ish red run in pretty poor light?

Hypocrite? Me? Little Angel
snow report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I was spitting blood when I saw this. If they are going to do this then I want a ban on the useless twonks who laterally snowplow at 2mph across a junction between two major pistes then decide that the epicentre is the perfect place to get out the thermos for a cup of tea and then complain if someone skis within two feet of them! Run them down?!? Such people are lucky - LUCKY! - to get my p-tex across the back of their bobbly hats (heads included). They are getting off light. There is no doubt that some people on the slope are a tad dangerous but by far and away the greatest danger is the herds of bad skiers inhabiting slopes way above their performance level. If they want to step up, the've got to man up and take their licks. Otherwise, we should set one slope per resort aside for these useless nimby's and they can annoy each other.

I'd love to take you down some really gnarly gullies and couloirs and see you "man up" my fiend Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy