Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

There are two things wrong with Austrian skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:

We always joke about the gaelic shrug, whenever you ask a less than straightforward question. Again though it has a certain charm and amusement.

Gaelic? Are we talking about Scotland now? Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good...

1, Magic local beer without hangover properties Happy

2, Cake for breakfast.

Bad...

1, Bed footboards - that I kick in the night!

2, erm, I'll get back to you on that one!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spinout, if you come anywhere near me with that jagermeister rubbish you'll walk away wearing it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spinout wrote:
Dr John, Musicwise it sounds like you need a few jagertees to deaden the senses, though it doesn't worry me-when in Rome and all that.
Next time you are in Austria head for the Hospiz Alm in St Christoph, lunch is unforgettable.

Surely you end up in a Hospiz through drinking too much Jaegertee?? Evil stuff Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, oh I do my friend, I do...

Then wake up the next morning in a horrible fog of self-hate for climbing on the table and swinging my t-shirt above my head.

I got thrown out of a place in Les Arcs for doing exactly that. Never tried it in Austria, but now I know you can get away with it....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Germ Knodl, with sauce.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John wrote:
Apres more lively in Austria, but the dreadful music gets tired after about 10 minutes, and utterly unbearable after 20. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

I bet you hate La Folie Douce in Val as well. Everyone knows that most of the music is crap but it's all part of the fun!!

I hope you're old...

Oh, I want to know something about Austria, which I've never really worked out despite about 12 ski holidays there.

What are those boob-things you see people eating? Are they some sort of dessert?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Piccadilly, Germ Knoedel (sp?) - supposed to be a pudding, but great for a main course too (especially on a storm day). Like a big sweet dumpling with jammy sort of centre, vanilla sauce/pretend custard on top, and then sprinkled with sugar and 'mohn' - which I think is like poppy seeds or something?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Piccadilly,
Quote:

What are those boob-things you see people eating? Are they some sort of dessert?

Germknödel. A sweet yeast dumpling with jam in the middle and served with vanilla sauce and fag ash! (icing sugar and ground poppy seeds) A lot lighter than it sounds. Sort of fresh bread consistency crossed with a dumpling. Very good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Piccadilly, They are a sweet dough/yeast mixture called a Germknödl and the fag ash on top is ground poppy seed. It is steamed like a suet pudding and in the middle is some kind of jam, usually plum. Served with vanilla sauce (custard to thee and me) it is delicious. The other way it is served is in masses of melted butter which is disgusting, I tried it once and regretted it for the next 24 hours! Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing much to dislike about about Austria - we like it so much we're having Wiener Schnitzel and a bottle of Gruner Veltliner!
The only negative is bollock naked blokes wandering around communal pool changing areas occasionally flossing their scrotums.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WHat's the pink long drink - looks like Ribena - that you see people drinking?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ribena? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aperol Spritzer??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
papasmurf, + 1 for that suggestion
ski holidays
Could be, I guess. Perhaps with extra fizzy water for thirsty skiers?
snow conditions
James the Last, No usually mixed with Proseco or Sekt, not soda water or anything non-alcoholic unless you actually request it that way (believe me it is not nice like that!)
ski holidays
Schiwasser?
latest report
Almdoodler, made with 'milk serum'is a strangely enjoyable drink...
snow conditions
think you may be mixing Almdudler up with Rivella
ski holidays
daveyladboy wrote:
Almdoodler, made with 'milk serum'is a strangely enjoyable drink...

Almdudler is an 'alpine herb lemonade...'
snow conditions
clarky999, e.g., Samerberg Sue, thank you for clearing up the boob mystery! Not sure whether to try one or not, might be a bit sweet and stodgy for me. My usual lunch is bread/sausage/mustard.

Is the pink Ribena stuff ski-water? An energy drink of sorts..
snow report
Austrian twin beds are one of their great cultural exports. snowHead

Their previous one was 'continental quilts'. Before they came in in the late 1970s most British people had to sleep under sheets and heavy blankets Sad

Thank goodness for European culture leading us into the 21th Century.
snow report
Piccadilly, Schiwasser is I think raspberry syrup and water
ski holidays
yeah rasberry or strawberry..so it could be that if its non alcoholic

or elderberry but that isn't pink
snow conditions
Piccadilly, Schiwasser is either tap water, still mineral water or fizzy poured on to Himbeer-, Erdbeer-, or Johannisbeereb-Sirop/cordial. That's raspberry, strawberry or blackcurrent syrup/cordial to you lot! Toofy Grin

I also like Spezi which is a bizarre mixture of cola and orange lemonade/Fanta. Sounds gross but the worst of each is cancelled out by the. Other and leaves a remarkably refreshing drink.
snow report
So can I assume if I am there for a week that there should be something new, different and tasty to try each day? Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, For sure if you are adventurous. Do not treat Germknödl as a dessert, it is a very big meal in itself. Same goes for a lot of desserts like Kaiserschmarrn; a souffle-like, chopped up pancake, liberally dusted with icing sugar mixed with raisins or sultanas sometimes and accompanied by Apfelmuß (sweet stewed apple) or a plum compote. Salzburgernockel is another delicious monster but needs to be ordered in advance and not all restaurants make it. The last one I ordered was shared between 3 of us and we did not manage to finish it all.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiserschmarn mit apfelmus yes
Curry wurst, no way, they give sausages a bad name and make curry look bad.
just for comedy value don't forget the germknodel (should always have a cherry on top) snowHead
snow report
Quote:
Curry wurst, no way, they give sausages a bad name and make curry look bad.

Totally agree robapplegate, those frankfurters repeat on you for days!

Can't beat a Strudel mit Vanilla Sauce Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 13-01-12 21:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Do not treat Germknödl as a dessert

Too late, did that today. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
geepee, It's a meal in itself isn't it! Laughing
ski holidays
Gulashsuppe

Just wanted to say that.

snowHead
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Yes, I did have a very light main course to make room, although Andy managed a full main course and Germknödl twice this week. Shocked
snow report
Chris Bish, Go ahead it's a good thing to say, keeps me going on the hill Very Happy
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Mezzo Mix is far superior to spezi
snow report
Piccadilly, Foley douch doesn't play techno umpah rubbish, not sure you've been there but the two scenes are utterly different. And age has nothing to do with it my friend, it's experience that counts, and that's something I'm not short of.
ski holidays
papasmurf, It is the same stuff, different packaging!
snow conditions
So, by the sounds of it, if I have a big meal ready for the evening then we can probably subsist on having a stodgy sweet something on the mountain for lunch?
ski holidays
Megamum, Definitely. You will only want 1 kaiserschmarnn between 2 or maybe 3 between 4. It's far too much for 1. It's more expensive than germknodel. Do have gulashesuppe.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy