Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

There are two things wrong with Austrian skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Steilhang,
Quote:

Positive aspect; by the end of the night I was sure I am not, and never will be, gay!

First effort put you off for life?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peeves:

1. Crucifixes
- If I want religious insignia in my room, I'll bring my own or live in a bloody monastery.

2. The way the beds are made
- What's with the pointy pillows?! What's more, during my first trip to Austria, at age 10, I slept under a huge, I mean THICK down duvet. Whenever I don't get one, I'm disappointed. Sad

Favourites (not ski-related):

1. The houses
2. Eating and drinking
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dudes

O dear.
I wondered how long this thread would last
until some one who owned a gaff in France turned up
before the usual French-supporting started
Not long, as it turned out. Sad How drearily predictable

ok bye
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. It's where Hitler was born.

2. Smoking in bars.

3. Eating nothing but the lowest quality sausages *in the known universe* for an entire week.

These are the best 3 things about Austria.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Voice of Treason, wrong yet again. there is no French supporting in this thread. You need to read more carefully, old chap.

Quote:

First effort put you off for life?

T Bar, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1 for the plus: Guuuuuullaaaaaasschuuuuuuupe! mit Brot.

1 for the Neg: really struggling... can be a little too warm even mid-season....sometimes....?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w,

sweet cheeks

first whiff of anything anti France
and you are there with your tricolor
on every single thread ever on snowheads
go and check
so predictable
no wonder Marie Antoinette did not fit in

au revoir
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2 Things wrong with Austrian skiing:-

1. Too many good mountain restaurants and bars in town to "slip on a banana skin" in, and get a bad head for the next morning Toofy Grin ............and seriously

2. (Not a criticism just a wish really)......That Innsbruck airport would open up more to non TO flights, have to use Munich and Zurich which is a chew, but worth the travel hassle........still infinitely better than the Bourg St Maurice/ Moutiers roads nightmare for getting up to Espace Killy though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They Groom the Slopes way to much

They given in to mass market and serve cheap food like French Fries & Burgers.

There is only plus side apart from the Arlberg Skiing and always has been .

>>>>>>>>>>>Gemütlichkeit<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

But its often a very different story up on the hill.Poor and indifferent service,poor quality of food and scant regard for the customer(unless they happen to be French)

I actually find this strangely alluring and amusing. But I've always been a bit weird Skullie

TBH, as I rule I only do packed lunch on the hill, so I avoid that problem. We always joke about the gaelic shrug, whenever you ask a less than straightforward question. Again though it has a certain charm and amusement.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Austrians are as rude as anything, and gibber away in their incomprehensible language that sounds like Dutch. I've never felt like killing somebody in a lift queue in France; in Austria last week however I thought they were dreadful - and then an Austrian ski instructor told me to leave a queue because I'd pushed in (which I hadn't).

Whilst not a smoker, I like it that the thought police have not stopped smoking in Austria. We ban too much.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last, I don't find the French or the Austrians any ruder than us Brits. Certainly far nicer than all that insincere "Y'all have a nice day now" pap from accross the pond Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

clarky999 wrote:
Fattes13 wrote:

Not enough challenging terrain outside of the Allberg

You for real??

Just what I thought too!

Yep, allot of the resorts have to little verticle and limited proper challanging off piste and the ones that do tend to be in pockets. In comparison to say Chamonix, Porte Du Soleil, Engelberg/Andermatt. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place.

*Mayrhofen is one of my fav resorts ever but again limited off piste. You can always nip down the valley but bit of an effort and I am LAZY
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Worst 2 things about Austrian Skiing :

1) S.I.P (Stool Inspection Platforms)
2) Occasional reluctance to serve water on the table.

Best 2 things about Austrian Skiing :

1) Short transfers
2) Everything else
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Church Bells!! Confused That's nothing compared to any village, town or city in many muslim countries where prayers are blasted out on loud speakers from minarets- count yourselves lucky that church bells is all you hear!

I am sucker for Germknödel, my ski trip isn't the same without one-but one's enough!
ski holidays
Quote:

Germknödel

Hmmm, not a big fan. Another Kaiserschmarren fan here
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:
Quote:

clarky999 wrote:
Fattes13 wrote:

You for real??

Just what I thought too!

Yep, allot of the resorts have to little verticle and limited proper challanging off piste and the ones that do tend to be in pockets. In comparison to say Chamonix, Porte Du Soleil, Engelberg/Andermatt. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place.

*Mayrhofen is one of my fav resorts ever but again limited off piste. You can always nip down the valley but bit of an effort and I am LAZY

Yep, you were wink
latest report
Fattes13,
Quote:

What about Krippenstein?
snow report
Quote:

Bar bouncing, attractive girls serving, ........., I would struck by the thought that apart from the Austrians and Germans, you could have been on a night out in Burnley.

Really, attractive girls serving in Burnley? I beg to differ.......
snow report
[quote="

They given in to mass market and serve cheap food like French Fries & Burgers.

Very Happy Very Happy[/quote]
Not had burger and chips ever in Austria, proper hearty mountain food! Last time we were in France they charged 5 euro for a small lukewarm coffee, lunches were overpriced fast food, we ended up making packed lunch with red wine here this week a large hot coffee is 3 euros , depends exactly where you go I suppose, but out of Austria, France and Italy, Austria is way better! wink ( in my opinion!,!)
latest report
Had a delicious burger n fries at Unkle Tom's kabin on the mountain in Wagrain. Great grub.
ski holidays
Sitzpinkel!
ski holidays
Staying remarkably on topic for page two Smile
snow conditions
galpinos wrote:
Quote:

Bar bouncing, attractive girls serving, ........., I would struck by the thought that apart from the Austrians and Germans, you could have been on a night out in Burnley.

Really, attractive girls serving in Burnley? I beg to differ.......

Indeed not an immediate comparison I would have considered!

I like church bells (reminds me of the Cotswolds!)
latest report
For me:

1. Non-stop Tirolpop
I've not adverse to a bit of Pferd Rote but not a gazillions times in the space of a couple of hrs

2. The white, booblike dumplings with the fag ash topping
Could be connected to bertie basset's pet hate
latest report
Spinout wrote:
Church Bells!! Confused That's nothing compared to any village, town or city in many muslim countries where prayers are blasted out on loud speakers from minarets- count yourselves lucky that church bells is all you hear!!

I understand the skiing is somewhat limited in such places, too!!
ski holidays
I can't think of any negatives, apart from I've found it to be less ski-in ski-out. The smoking didn't bother me when I was a smoker but it would do now.

Other than that; awesome skiing, nice food, crazy Euro-pop, tons of beer, what's not to like?
snow conditions
1. Another vote for Tiroler Grostl (but I've just lived on ribs at lunch in Soll, yum.)
2. It's not France (Sorry, I like France and the French but not their ski hutches, sorry, rooms and their appalling beer prices).

Austrian twins are good. We had memory foam mattresses in B & B in Soll, I could thrash about to my heart's content without waking the missus. My snoring on the other hand...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's not France (Sorry, I like France and the French but not their ski hutches, sorry, rooms and their appalling beer prices

+1 Service culture in French resorts 1/5, Austria 5/5.

Ghost Dog,
Quote:

Austrian twins are good

Are they like the ones on Big Brother?
latest report
1. Tree skiing
2. Great huts for lunch on day tours
latest report
Is smoking in public places like bars still allowed or not?
snow conditions
cc_7up, it is still allowed but more and more places are offering non-smoking sections. I have noticed that the amount of smoke-filled fuggy places has decreased dramatically as the landlords/owners realise that they are losing out to smoke-free places.

You used to see a lot of people walking into places, taking a sniff and very deliberately walking out again. The owners have wised-up and installed better extractor systems and also where possible made a non-smoking area. In the beginning these used to be small and you had to walk through the smoking zone to get to them, but I have noticed that more and more bars are completely non-smoking or the non-smoker area is the largest.

I quite like the non-draconian laws the Austrians have introduced, no-one is demonised because they smoke. And the proportion of non-smokers to smokers is gradually increasing as well.

zammo, you dislike those two things? Shocked
snow report
Eeyore wrote:
For me:

1. Non-stop Tirolpop
I've not adverse to a bit of Pferd Rote but not a gazillions times in the space of a couple of hrs

2. The white, booblike dumplings with the fag ash topping
Could be connected to bertie basset's pet hate

What?? Germknoedels are great, especially with hot 'vannilsauce!'
ski holidays
Quote:

"Y'all have a nice day now" pap from accross the pond

I've never heard anyone say "Y'all" at a ski resort in US. That's a southern thing!!

Quote:

1) S.I.P (Stool Inspection Platforms)

This is one of my favorite things about Austria. Great conversation starter!!
ski holidays
Here's a radical viewpoint; I like skiing in both Austria and France. Better on-mountain toilet facilities in Austria, but lunch is more enjoyable in France. Apres more lively in Austria, but the dreadful music gets tired after about 10 minutes, and utterly unbearable after 20. Swings and roundabouts, innit.
snow report
Quote:

Apres more lively in Austria, but the dreadful music gets tired after about 10 minutes, and utterly unbearable after 20

Drink through it my boy Smile
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, oh I do my friend, I do...

Then wake up the next morning in a horrible fog of self-hate for climbing on the table and swinging my t-shirt above my head.
snow report
Dr John, Musicwise it sounds like you need a few jagertees to deaden the senses, though it doesn't worry me-when in Rome and all that.
Next time you are in Austria head for the Hospiz Alm in St Christoph, lunch is unforgettable.
ski holidays
Good point - The idea of naked saunas

Bad Point - the people who use naked saunas
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Here's a radical viewpoint; I like skiing in both Austria and France. Better on-mountain toilet facilities in Austria, but lunch is more enjoyable in France. Apres more lively in Austria, but the dreadful music gets tired after about 10 minutes, and utterly unbearable after 20. Swings and roundabouts, innit.
A sensible post, at last wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy