Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much for winter tyres & spare wheels?

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont, It would be good for you to learn how to do it, but make sure you don't have hubby around when you do.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, good idea!!! At least I will have read the instructions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, You've got an X trail haven't you? You won't need to put them on ever Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Diarmuid wrote:
"oh we made a mistake, they should be 108E?"

If they are like Amazon they will just cancel your order, let's hope not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, We both have, however still have to have chains, and lets face it, the X-Trail is a soft roader, and there will be occasions when those nice road profile tyres ain't up to the job. My SO calls mine an inflated estate car!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
boredsurfin, We both have, however still have to have chains, and lets face it, the X-Trail is a soft roader, and there will be occasions when those nice road profile tyres ain't up to the job. My SO calls mine an inflated estate car!

I wish I had taken a photo of my X trail towing a landrover out of some mud Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin,
Quote:

I wish I had taken a photo of my X trail towing a landrover out of some mud

The Landy broke down then !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the blizzak on my Sharan - and they are a good grip appart from the compacted snow - I have put chains on the front now and it is much better....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This site is good for winter tyres, just ordered two Blizzaks off them for £70 each including p&p:

http://ssl.delti.com/mytires/start.html
or this might work: http://mytyres.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
Helen Beaumont, You've got an X trail haven't you? You won't need to put them on ever Very Happy

Maybe not, but having crossed over the Col du Lauteret in good weather, I can imagine a faint possibility of needing them at some stage. I bought the chains from the roofbox company, and they offer an exchange scheme for unused chains.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the helpful advice in this, and other, winter tyres thread. Just ordered a set from my local tyre dealer, so a bit more traction for me this winter when we drive out to Les Arcs. Before snowHeads I didn't even know what a winter tyre was, but now not only do I have a vague idea what they are but I also own a set!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I lived in Germany I found most people had two complete sets of wheels and tyres. The steel wheels with winter tyres were generally a narrower rim width and higher profile sometimes on a larger rim diameter to give the same rolling circumference.

There are some cars where a summer tyre on alloys fills the wheel arch so that there is no room for chains.

I have been stopped from using the Arlberg Pass because the summer front tyres were deemed to be usuitable even though I had chains on the rear (RWD car of course). It may have been a revenue thing as the alternative is a pay tunnel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Given the obvious expertise shown on this thread just wondering if anyone can tell me the legal position re snow chains and driving in France and Switzerland. I'm driving to Verbier just after Xmas and will be returning there a few more times during the season, and will also be driving over to Chamonix from Verbier a few times as well. Ideally I would buy some chains but am having trouble sourcing them for the 285/35/R22 tyres on my Range Rover. Any thoughts welcome
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could try E Bay there are a number of listings selling new chains for 4x4 etc
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BGA, It may be worth contacting these folks for options http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snowhome.html
Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
BGA wrote:
Given the obvious expertise shown on this thread just wondering if anyone can tell me the legal position re snow chains and driving in France and Switzerland. I'm driving to Verbier just after Xmas and will be returning there a few more times during the season, and will also be driving over to Chamonix from Verbier a few times as well. Ideally I would buy some chains but am having trouble sourcing them for the 285/35/R22 tyres on my Range Rover. Any thoughts welcome

I think that's an incredible tyre size Very Happy I wonder how good they'd be in snow? Would you consider putting some different tyres and wheels for the winter?
snow report
ise,
Quote:

I think that's an incredible tyre size I wonder how good they'd be in snow?

Quite, these are big uns! Roofbox Co. had no RUD chain size in their list, but it would be worth BGA, sending an email as they may have other suppliers.
ski holidays
BGA wrote:

Range Rovers are heavy and from memory have some of the longest braking distances. Generally the wider the tyre the worse they are in winter conditions. If it was me I'd put some thinner winter tyres on it (and get chains) otherwise I'd be worried about putting it on it's roof or driving over somebody else's roof.
snow report
Thanks for that. Spoke to the technical guy from Overfinch today (the car is an Overfinch TD6 conversion hence the drug dealeresque 22 inch wheels) and he said that they recently tested the tyre/wheel combo in Norway for snow and ice and around the Nurburgring for on road performance and had no problems, but suggested www.snowchains.com - they have the appropriate size on their website so I'll ring them tomorrow for advice as I don't fancy piloting 3 tonnes of Range Rover down Rue de Medran upside down!
snow report
BGA,

Are these your wheels/tyres?

http://www.overfinch.com/?node_id=1.3.1&category_id=3&name=Wheels_&_Tyres

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Zero+Asimmetrico

If so they look to be good in the snow. Be sure to check that you don't have the "summer" version.
snow report
Quote:

When everybody around you has 4 winter tyres on and brakes, odds are you are the one who is going to shunt the car in front or have your rear end overtaking your front end.

Fortunately everyone around me doesn't have even 2 winter/allseason tyres so I've not had any problems yet with other cars having better control than me in snowy conditions. As I said if the garage had done what I'd asked I'd have had identical all season tyres all round, but they didn't.
snow report
Dave Horsley,

Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for getting better tyres then are legally required and understand that you wanted 4 not 2.

Just didn't want anybody here thinking because you get away with 2 winter tyres in Scotland they could get away with it in the alps. The rules and conditions are different here, your car would be illegal in Austria. There are people who (incorrectly) think that as long as they have snowchains then summer tyres are OK for the Alps. These people often end up spinning on the spot blocking other traffic or in ditches by the side of the road.

PS I always go for top notch winter tyres. Last week on the way to work everyone braked hard but the guy behind me (also with winter tyres it was the first thing I checked) shunted me. Mad
snow report
Any of our French or Swiss correspondents know of a good source for Winter Tyres for a 3dr Toyota LC VVTI ;;265/65/R17 ?

All the usual culprits are acting dumb (including Mytyres) Previously had Dunlops but no longer made... rolling eyes
snow report
DB, two tyres bad four tyres good? wink

For a front wheel drive car, I think most of the improvements come with the use of two winter tyres. (Even the advice on Michelin's site regarding (i.e. against) use of winter tyres on drive wheels only is mildly worded at best.)

If the improvement in performance of "x" due to use of 4 winter tyres is defined as 100 points, how many points for two front-wheel winter tyres only? (I'd say at least 80).
snow conditions
DB

Yes those are the wheels, in fact take off the side skirts and the silver one pictured is the same spec as mine. The tyres are the same and since they have a picture of a snowflake on the sidewall I assume they are the winter ones. Snowchains.com advised they have a set to fit the car for a bargain £239. Cheaper than the insurance excess I suppose...
snow conditions
Cedric wrote:
DB, two tyres bad four tyres good? wink

For a front wheel drive car, I think most of the improvements come with the use of two winter tyres. (Even the advice on Michelin's site regarding (i.e. against) use of winter tyres on drive wheels only is mildly worded at best.)

If the improvement in performance of "x" due to use of 4 winter tyres is defined as 100 points, how many points for two front-wheel winter tyres only? (I'd say at least 80).

The German equivalent to Top Gear did a test with pairs of the same vehicle, one with winter tyres one with summer tyres. The difference in braking distances on a cold wet road were massive. On the way up 2 winter tyres on the driven wheels is going to help a lot (I'd say 80+ points on your scale), on the way down I'd want 4 winter tyres. In my experience it's braking when coming down or going into a corner where most accidents occur.

Some interesting links on winter tyres

http://www.etyres.co.uk/bad-weather-tyres

http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law#austria
snow report
Now winter is over (for most of us). I is time to put the summer tyres back on the car. The best price I could find was Quick Fit ! £24.95 for all 4 tryes changed new valves balanced and please come back after 200 miles so we can check the Torque settings on the wheel nuts are ok!
Best deal I reckon. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin, do you mean Kwik Fit?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, AKA Speedy in France and Suisse ( and a bit cheaper) ... AND they store your tyres for you if you don't have spare wheels ..
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
boredsurfin, do you mean Kwik Fit?

I did indeed!

Anyone else notice that over exposure to snowHeads leads to bad spelling Toofy Grin

Quote:
Quick Fit ! £24.95 for all 4 tryes

It's worse that I first thought Sad
latest report
Just vist a tyre manufacturer web sites and pick the Winter tyres you fancy and make sure they do the tyre size you have in the car.

Have to shop around because winter tyres are uncommon in UK. Only skiers driving to the Alps and owners of chalets need them. Majority of UK motorists just accept the risk of driving on summer types in snow.

BGA

I think you are going to have a problem of finding snow tyres for a 22" ally wheel. Not many snow tyres have low profile to fit 18" rim, let alone 22".

I run a Shugun warrior equipped with 18" alloys. I keep a standard set of 16" alloys and have difficulty in getting winter tyre for them, ending up with just a set of all season typres. For prolonged driving on snow drivers can deflate the tyre to run at reduced pressure. The softened tyre wall improves the grip so the short and stiff side walls of a low profile type isn't going to be helpful.

From Vervier to Chamonix you must cross the Col De Forclaz mountain pass. I haven't been stopped there before but I wouldn't be surprised the police turn away mortorists from using the pass if they do not have the proper equipment when the snow has built up and there isn't time to clear it. The bottom of the road does display a sign showing chains would be required but I was told a 4x4 could be reagrded acceptable too.

The last time I used snow chains in Col De Forclaz was the year when there was an avalanche in Le Tour that killed about 10 people. Before that the road was closed in the French side after crossing the border and we were diverted into the train tunnel driving in a space so narrow that my Nissan Primera's door mirror kept hitting the tunnel wall. The avalanche took place on the next day after we had left Chamonix.
snow report
Can see that some snowheads are looking at winter tyres, here are the lastest European top picks (see earlier posts for translation)

Austrian "AA/RAC" equivalent
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/reifentests/175_65_14_T_winter2005/gesamt_175.html

German "AA/RAC" equivalent

Click alle "testergebnisse im Überblick" on these ADAC links)

http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/175_65_R14_T_10_2005/default.asp?ComponentID=126957&SourcePageID=8979#

http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/195_65_R15_T_10_2005/default.asp?ComponentID=127017&SourcePageID=8979#

Basically the following 3 winter tyres come out top in most tests

Goodyear Ultra Grip 7
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Pirelli Winter 190 Snow Control
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy