Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro

Poster: A snowHead
Scarpa, yer, one of them was me I think Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers. OK folks, use altis's link Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we've peaked (but I've no idea why):

12 months:

1 month:

intra-day:

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/13/

TransferWise lets you transfer money to any Euro bank account using peer-to-peer currency exchange. For a commission free transaction try:
https://transferwise.com/u/7af22
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Down to 1.3032 this evening. Ouch!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feeling smug, i changed up £2k at 1.45 Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
altis wrote:

The traders are factoring in the UK leaving the EU.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately for the UK, the Swiss Franc is following the Euro down (or up depending on your viewpoint). 1.55 in December and now 1.41, so heading for 13-14% more expensive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
altis wrote:

The traders are factoring in the UK leaving the EU.

Bit early for that isn't it? Perhaps the traders are correlating this time of year when families of on Feb half-term traditionally change their currency?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went when it was 1.09, it's not worth worrying about.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Filthyphil30k, Exactly, and anyway, I'm going to Italy not France Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sequoiaboard wrote:
@Filthyphil30k, Exactly, and anyway, I'm going to Italy not France Smile

This!!

Changing at 1.09 and going to italy is still better than changing at 1.45 and going to france Happy

Luckily i too changed 2K before it dropped below 1.40 Happy (and im going to italy!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PaulC1984, nice one
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It does seem that the rate goes up in the summer and down in the winter. Perhaps I can find some historic data and average them together to produce a smoothed curve over the year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi folks
I live, work and get paid in Euros here in Germany
Yesterday I changed €30 into £20.
Going the other way I find it best to use a UK debit card and keep cash to an absolute minimum.
Cash machines here give you the best rate, not worth the three beer hassle to get a better deal.
As for living here, the exchange rate has scuppered my original good salary.......
I can get the same pay in the UK and no foreign living.
Cheers
Paul
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apparently Lloyds think that it'll return to 1.40 very soon.
snow report
Got 1.325 out of an ATM in Austria last week. With Nationwide Plus Account there are no charges or commission on transactions
snow conditions
There is a very, very good app called revolut.
You get a card to pre-load.
The app works in £'s €'s and $'s.
You chuck in your 'base' currency ie. open an account in £'s and that will be it.
Load it up... then at a swish of a finger you exchange a chosen amount at real interbank rates.... yes - real interbank rates!
Then the card is loaded with that currency when you use it in € land or $ land.
IBAN transfers are also free.
I've lived out here 9 years now.... imo this is the best way for transfers. Cash is also protected up to £10,000.
oh and if you use this link I think everyone gets a fiver.... https://revolut.com

[EDIT: link changed - they ain't giving cash away now !!]

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-01-16 14:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@flangesax, it says "404 page not found" for me when clicking your link.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Perhaps the traders are correlating this time of year when families of on Feb half-term traditionally change their currency?

I doubt it. Tourism exchange is noise in the background of world currency markets except for the smallest of countries with a high reliance on tourism for their GDP.
ski holidays
@flangesax, I believe they are stopping the personal referral system, if that's what the link was for. I applied for a Revolution card after reading about it on the Money Saving Expert site, where it is highly recommended - good to see that it works well for you. At present entering the referral code MSE is getting a £5 bonus on a first top up of £10 or more - this just worked for me a few minutes ago. Hoping the card works well for me, fingers crossed. Very Happy
latest report
@skidoodle, I haven't actually used the card as yet.... happy cheeky trading!
ski holidays
I used to use a Caxton Card which I loaded. Rate was okay but still charged for cashpoints. Pain if using as a deposit for cars/skis/yacht charter. However recently got a Halifax Clarity card. Do not need to load and does use the interbank rate. I have used in Bali recently buying all sorts of stuff including a big ticket Tag watch for the wife (inducements to allow excess ski trips). The rate was spot on and if you transfer money from your bank account (using my Natwest iPhone App) I do not get charged a cashpoint fee.

I had been keeping a New Zealand bank account open so I could use that when over there. Seems unnecessary with the Clarity Card................... though they will close it no doubt when I semi-retire there.
latest report
@hawkesbaynz, With clarity there is no fee on the withdrawal but there is interest (although not for purchases). Assuming you got the 12% rate and you pay it back in full that comes to about 1%
ski holidays
If your driving via Dover you can get (today) 1.24 - 1.26

Harbour Shipping - CT17 9EQ open24/7

Dover Eurochange CT17 9DA
ski holidays
@Markpoint, the Revolut app is currently offering 1.29 euros to the pound.... Not a huge difference, but every little helps wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy