Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro

Poster: A snowHead
Currently at roughly a 10 month high. What do people expect it to do over the next few weeks??? Should i buy now or should i hang on??? Post office are offering it at 1.17. Opinions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always get mine from atm's in resort.
small charge but you get a much better rate and it evens itself out
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, I just use the ATM as well as whatever's left in my wallet from business travel. Unless you're changing massive amounts (Money launderer? wink ) it's not really that much of a worry
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's easy to get lost in the "It's cheaper at x than at y" thinking, but by maybe 1 or 2cents to the pound, so unless you're changing massive amounts its usually better to just go for convenience. Last time I changed some in the UK I changed £200 at M&S which was just round the corner from my flat, it was 1cent better at the Post Office but it was raining and the Post Office was another half mile walk, I figured it was worth the 2euros to not get drowned walking up the road.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've seen 1.20+ offered on-line
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic wrote:
I've seen 1.20+ offered on-line

Link please!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, buy now - the € is due a bounce
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, Is it really?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, i kid you not
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think if I knew what the currency markets were going to do I'd be a mulit billionaire and sat at writing this in one of several chalets I'd own dotted around the alps.......

I don't really understand all the factors enough, but the ECB put their base rate down pre Christmas so I expect the effects are what we've been seeing over the last weeks? To me this on it's own is the quickest changer in the currency markets. Things point to the Euro situation getting worse in 2012 but I wouldn't get too caught up on a few pence or cents...... Fair enough it does make a difference when factoring it all in but would need larger swings than I think we'll see in your time frame to truly make a difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Euro is unlikley to 'bounce' - Germany just foecast near zero growth. The question is a relative one in any event, it depends what you are changing 'from/to' and if it costs you to do so earlier rather than later. Prob at the moment the best advice is the ATM advice and just take what you need when you need it given the banks have just unhidden and removed all the unjustified charges. But check your bank's policy prior to leaving..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I wouldn't get too caught up on a few pence or cents

^^that

even if if moves as much as 1p or 1¢, then changing 1000 gives you about 3 extra beers (or 3 less beers) on the slopes, which is hardly worth writing home about.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not bought euro's in the High St for years....always use ATM.Since the demise of the zero charge Flex account,have been useing a Halifax Clarity Card.Zero charges for purchases,and a small interest charge for cash withdrawls.Works out very well,as you always get true bank rates.
Never really understood the exchange rate scramble....its not as if you can arrange your holiday around the best rate Confused None of the falls/rises are life changing,just the odd beer or two?
I look to make my savings on the original booking...not on the beer money wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1.17 is a good long term purchase rate. Take it if you are quite cautious or rate sensitive. I use ATMs and get spot from my bank so hasn't been worse than 1.16 for a long time now. Check your ATM rates/fees. Normally worthwhile for a £200 withdrawal as not left with more than you need.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just about to pull trigger on our euros for our trip, Thomas cook offering rate of 1.171 pre-ordered online to pickup in store, which is about the best rate bar some small outlets.

This may be useful http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, It's close to its recent (21 Dec) ten month low! Puzzled Sterling is at a ten month high against the euro

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 3-01-12 13:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
22 dropout, Richard_Sideways, FairFX 1.1725 currently -Interbank 1.1969/71 and 2.1% on small amounts is pretty good for retail
snow report
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55096653/EURGBP.pdf
ski holidays
If you've got the time, apply for a decent credit card - I use my Halifax Clarity and it works out much better than exchanging cash.
snow report
Jivebaby, good rates true but for a 0 charge and the convenience of walking into branch to pickup... I wanted £350 of euros -
Through FairFX i'd get €410 for £353.02, Thomas Cook €410 for £350.13. For small(comparativly) amounts the charges tip the balance...
snow conditions
snowskisnow, Got a Halifax Clarity but don't use it for cash withdrawals - does it cost in against say using your normal ATM card then ?
latest report
Richard_Sideways, your maths is wrong FairFX GBP349.68 = €410.00 Puzzled And it's all online
latest report
Laughing

If anyone on here could predict what exchange rates are going to do they'd be richer than Bill Gates....
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, I cannot find the site my friend mentioned, I know it involves lodging the money on a card and was also mentioned on a similar thread before Xmas I cant find that either. Although I went to Thomas cook for £500 they beat all competitor rates no comission
latest report
Jivebaby wrote:
Richard_Sideways, your maths is wrong FairFX GBP349.68 = €410.00 Puzzled And it's all online

I took my numbers off their site.
Quote:

You are buying: €410.00 Euros as travel cash (bank notes)
at the FairFX Rate of £1 = €1.1815
Which costs: £347.02
Royal Mail Special Delivery: £6.00
Total: £353.02 Pounds Sterling
snow report
Richard_Sideways, Embarassed Understood -I never buy cash, just load the card.
snow conditions
Looking like 1.21 is possible today Very Happy
ski holidays
Yep, 12 month high of 1.206 just arrived I think.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tarquin wrote:
snowskisnow, Got a Halifax Clarity but don't use it for cash withdrawals - does it cost in against say using your normal ATM card then ?

Halifax Clarity is the best card available - For purchases as well as cash from ATM's worldwide. You get charged barely anything per cash withdraw transaction and the daily VISA exchange rate. And no fee when using the card to buy items as well as the VISA daily exchange rate.

Just watch out for the stupid part where if you've got a 100% repayment setup via Direct Debit, and you transfer the payment prior to your DD day, the DD will still get taken! Sounds stupid I know, but its happened to me twice now and stuck me in the red!
ski holidays
munkee, Sounds like Hailifax lack-of-Clarity card to me....
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Looking like 1.21 is possible today Very Happy

Currently at 1.20950 Very Happy
snow conditions
Strangely it was up at these levels this time last year and then dropped off again... as it has done every Spring for the last 4-5 years.

It is a statement rather than advice, but I am buying now.
snow conditions
Where do you all get these exchange rates at please?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I've always trusted http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/currencies/
snow report
Dot. wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, I've always trusted http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/currencies/

But you cant buy from there can you?
latest report
Dot., from which I saw Pound Climbs. Makes one wonder of the MPC will introduce a .2% interest rate to keep the £ low.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, You are George Soros and I claim my 5%
snow report
CaxtonFX - load it up, better rate than the high street and no charge for using abroad in atms or at purchase point. We have them and they are great! Easy to top up instantly too.
ski holidays
Halifax Clarity is the way to go. I got 1.195 in resort 2 weeks ago from an ATM, no transaction fees and you get (very) near to the mid-market rates.
latest report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16424802

Now's a great time to work in France and be paid in Euros, right? Or have I misunderstood something?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy