Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is my first post so be kind!

Me and my fiancé are booking our first ski trip together, I went skiing for the first time in March with work to Megeve and loved every second of it and have been bitten by the bug.

After looking at lots of resorts we are looking at Les Arcs or La PLagne as we are beginners would these resorts be the best option?

I appreciate that this sort of question must get asked a lot but I am a complete noob when it comes to booking a ski holiday.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You wont get the full use of the area 'cos it's huge. I'd advise just getting a local pass rather than the full area pass which covers both resorts.
La Plagne is an excellent place to learn with loads of cruisy blues. I've always stayed in Belle Plagne which is perfectly placed to ski the whole Plagne area. You'll love it. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree Belle Plagne is an excellent base...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Marshall,
Hi, welcome to Snowheads.
You will get lots of opinions very shortly.
The main thing is to decide what you most want from your holiday but a very general view is that there is usually a trade off between a pretty town and ski convenience. We all want a pretty place to ski but especially as beginners you don't want to be walking a long way wearing ski boots and carrying skis.
The French have built some ugly towns that are very convenient for skiing. I don't look at the town, I go up the mountain and ski.
I always recommend Val D'Isere is a great place for beginners because there is a realy good nursery slope area and easy access to some high up very easy skiing (Solaise, but ride back down until you get better)
I started in Saalbach, Austria which is a great place and a really nice town. I recommend this as well but when I went to Val D'Isere I felt like I had moved up a league because of the big mountain scenery.
On the downside VDI is expensve for evenings out.
As I say you will get lots of opinions so try and decide what is most important.
Mike
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also love Belle Plagne but as Chis's fiancé is a complete beginner I'm not sure about setting off from there.
I may be wrong though, can't quite remember.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Marshall, welcome to snowHead s
I think la Plagne would be a better choice than les Arcs, but since you are both "noobs" it might be worth looking at some of the smaller (cheaper) resorts. Not only will the board, lodging and beers be cheaper, but also the lift pass. Additionally, the slopes are often a lot less busy which is much more conducive to a pleasant first skiing experience.

You don't say when you are planning to go - this would have some bearing on what people might recommend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all of the very quick replies.

We are going the 4th Feb for a week. Jen my fiancé has skied before but it was 10 years ago. Would we be better booking tuition through Crystal or when we arrive through local ski school?

Which of the smaller resorts would be better?

Again thank you for all of your replies.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Marshall, You've had some good advice and I'd also recommend Samoens as it's a lovely village (nice but less Kensington than Megeve) easy to get to and has some outstanding skiing at your level. Tuition I'd recommend Zig-Zag and passes are pretty reasonable too : http://www.ifyouski.com/france/resorts/samoens.aspx I'll be in Samoens this week so will be happy to answer any questions on site!
Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

After looking at lots of resorts we are looking at Les Arcs or La PLagne as we are beginners would these resorts be the best option?

If it is your first time then think less about the terrain the resort offers and think more about the quality of the ski school. Look for somewhere with a good reputation for teaching adult beginners that stresses fluency of English spoken and small group size. I'm not best placed to advise on this as it is years since I learned (mainly from leather-faced, roll-up smoking French guys in Argentiere) but recently I've had good experiences with New Generation when I've used them.

There are instructor recommendations in: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5129 obviously some of there are quite dated but they give an idea as to which outfits contributors have liked.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Marshall, I should have added that my own wife learnt to ski here before the resort was substantially upgraded with new lifts, runs, new Zig-zag www.zigzagski.com ski school (they are snowheads too) and more lovely restaurants. Learning to ski together can be a romantic experience (or not!) and the opportunity for a quiet candle lit dinner...... Embarassed Embarassed

We ended up liking the place so much we bought a place. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy