Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Masopa's recent experience in Courchevel suggests that we could do with a thread where snowHeads post structured observations about individual ski instructors we've used. The skier profile topic provides a model for this.

Here's my recommendation to kick things off:

Resort: Breckenridge
School: Breckenridge Ski and Ride School
Instructor name: Jonathan Lawson (jlawson@skipros.com)
Season: 2003
Level: Advanced intermediate (lesson focussed on powder skiing)
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding):
- Communication: 5
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 5
- Effectiveness of treatment: 5
- Fun factor: 5
Comments: The best day's ski tuition that I've ever had. Mrs Jonny agrees wholeheartedly.

Here is the template:
Code:

[b]Resort: [/b]
[b]School: [/b]
[b]Instructor name: [/b]
[b]Season: [/b]
[b]Level: [/b]
[b]Lesson type[/b]
[b]Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding):[/b]
[b] - Communication: [/b]
[b] - Accuracy of diagnosis: [/b]
[b] - Effectiveness of treatment: [/b]
[b] - Fun factor: [/b]
[b]Comments: [/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great idea Jonny. Have added in Lesson type as well...

Resort: Courchevel
School: New Generation
Instructor name: Eric Andre
Season: 2005
Level: Advanced intermediate (steeps & bumps, powder)
Lesson type: 3x 2 hour 1-2-1
- Communication: 1-2
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 3
- Effectiveness of treatment: 2-3
- Fun factor: 3
Comments: Not exactly bad, but not good value for money IMO. Would probably still recommend NewGen though (see below).

Instructor name: Anthoni Pilarski
Season: 2004
Level: Advanced intermediate (steeps & bumps)
Lesson type: 1x 2 hour 1-2-1
Comments: Top bloke. One of the best private lessons I've had

Instructor name: Ruth Mosley (I think!)
Season: 2004
Level: Level 6 clinic (steeps, bumps, higher speed carving)
Lesson type: 2x 3 hour clinic sessions (4-5 very similar standard skiers in group)
- Communication: 4-5 (only nudged down because we're comparing a group lesson to private instruction)
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 4-5 (ditto)
- Effectiveness of treatment: 4-5 (ditto)
- Fun factor: 4
Comments: A group lesson that was nearly as good as private tuition. Great VFM

Resort: Val d'Isere
School: Mountain Masters
Instructor name: Mark Jones
Season: 2002 (April)
Level: Intermediate
Lesson type: 1x 3 hour 1-2-1
Comments: Once again, excellent tuition. Great teacher, fun bloke.

Instructor name: Phil Rigby
Season: 2002 (April)
Level: Beginner-Intermediate
Lesson type: 1x 3 hour 1-2-1 for girlfriend
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): (second-hand)
- Fun factor: 4 (girlfriend got too tired!)
Comments: Converted girlfriend to the benefits of ski tuition. Not sure whether it was because she fancied him!

Instructor name: Dave Cowell
Season: 2001
Lesson type: 2x 3 hour 1-2-3 (me + 2 mates)
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 5 - included video analysis
Comments: Awesome. Got me hooked on private lessons
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resort: Portes du Soleil
School: ESF (Morzine)
Instructor name: Thierry Copreau
Season: 1999
Level: Advanced(?) - Fall line bumps
Lesson type: 1 x 3 hour (me and a chum)
Comments: Thierry's now the Ski School director in Morzine and justly so. His skiing is technically flawless and is only surpassed by his ability to teach. Some years previously he managed to get my (now Ex-) wife to actually enjoy herself on skis. Which was quite a task I have to add...

Resort: Portes du Soleil
School: ID-Freeride www.idfreeride.com
Instructor name: Stephan Skrobar
Level: Advanced(?) - Uneven bumps at speed, proper technique on new skis, general technical overhaul. (By the way, his take on skiing carvers is not what you'd read in the media)
Lesson type: 1 x 5 Hours (me, a mate and one of his other clients)
Comments: Stephan and his colleague coach and train instructors and ski schools. His enthusiasm for skiing is boundless and both his coaching and skiing abilities are exceptional.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Resort: Alpe d'Huez
School: ESF
Instructor name: Laurie
Level: Intermediate - general turns, carving, moguls, icey blacks.
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): 5
Comments: Only 125 euros for 3 of us having a 3 hr lesson. Made a hell of a difference to our technique halfway through the week. She was very calm and picked up our faults individually.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Resort: Portes du Soleil - Les Gets
School: 360International www.skisurf360.com
Instructor name: Jerome (aka JB)
Season: 2004 / 2005 - 2 weeks
Level: started as debutant now doing easiest Blacks (seriously)
Lesson type From scratch
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): 5++
- Communication: Jerome is French, my French is poor . His English is very good.
- Accuracy of diagnosis: ??? My first question of him was which ski went on which foot .
- Effectiveness of treatment: Amazing , my wife who has skied for 25+ years can not believe it
[b] - Fun factor: [b] 5+ ... he took me through the deep powder, flicked snow at me, had a laugh all the time. Amazing
[b] Comments /[b] I have now had something like 26 hours tuition with this guy , admittedly on a 1 on 2 basis. He has performed miracles, and the other folks in this independent school seem equally able. Cosier than ESF and a 1/3 price of 'British' schools.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masopa, I've cut'n'pasted your comment about Ruth & added a bit of my own, as I did the same clinic in January.

Resort: Courchevel 1850
Instructor name: Ruth Mosley
Level: Level 6 performance clinic (steeps, bumps, higher speed carving)
Lesson type: 2 x 3 hour clinic sessions (4 very similar standard skiers in group). Total cost 139 euros.
- Communication: 4-5 (only nudged down because we're comparing a group lesson to private instruction)
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 4-5 (ditto)
- Effectiveness of treatment: 4-5 (ditto)
Comments: A group lesson that was nearly as good as private tuition. At the end of each session Ruth gave each us a card with a few key tips written on it (she'd written them on the last lift up) for steeps, bumps, carving etc. I thought they'd all be the same but we compared them after Ruth had left & they were all different, being individually tailored to each pupil. Excellent & great VFM
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Resort: Chamonix
School: The British Alpine Ski & Snowboard School http://www.basschamonix.com/
Instructor name: Derek (Tate possibly)
Level: Intermediate / 3rd week on snow!
Lesson type 2 X 2hr private lessons (upgraded from a group lesson that they could not fill)
Comments:
My first ever private lesson, and I advanced a lot LOT faster than doing groups (a LOT faster)
Derek was great at having fun things to do, and doing other stuff if I was not 'getting' a move.
The move from a group to private meant I effectively got a 50% discount... it would have been worth paying the full wack, and I think that next time I go skiing that is what I will do.

All fives seems a bit of a cop out, but it was the best ski instruction i have ever had.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Resort: Champery, Switzerland
School: Freeride
Instructor name: Guillaune
Season: Late January
Level: Intermediate: on-piste parallel turns and carving plus a bit of messing around in natural half pipes
Lesson type 3 x 3 hrs
- Fun factor: 5!!!!!
Comments: This guy was superb: he had a great attitude, was very enthusiastic plus his English was very good as was his sense of humour. We used the same school last year and 10 months on they still remebered us! He (as with the rest of the ski school) was very relaxed and flexible and even put in (unrequested) extra time at the end of the lesson to mess around in canyons or carve "just one last run". I was amazed at our (girlfriend and I) progress over the 3 days we had lessons. He spotted errors almost instantly and taught me to carve after just 2 weeks on snow. My girlfriend is now much more confident parallel turning at speed. His infectious enthusiasm and genuine happiness at seeing us progress made it a pleasure to be taught by him. Same time next January.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Resort: Tremblant, Canada
School: There is only one!
Instructor name: Pierre Verot (Level 4 Instructer, Level 2 race coach)
Level: high end intermediate
Lesson type Private
- Communication: 4 (but I am being really picky here)
- Fun factor: ? unimportant in a one hour lesson
Comments: This was my first ever private lesson, and only lasted an hour. Previously I have had many, many group lessons at a variety of levels and lasting between two and four hours a day over a five day period.

Pierre could pick up faults quickly and explain how and why I should change my style to remedy them, as a result I could feel my skiing improve as each "fix" was put into place - it really does put a smile on your face when that happens. The lesson was pretty intense compared to group lessons, as there is no waiting for others, and the points to improve on do come thick and fast. As a result I feel my skiing has improved more quickly than in the last two weeks I've been in ski classes.

I don't think I'll ever look to take group lessons again, and would recommend this instructor and private lessons to everyone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Resort: Meribel
School: Independent Instructor
Instructor name: Benoit Prieur Blanc (benprieurblanc@yahoo.fr)
Season: 2004-2005
Lesson type Private
- Communication: 5 great English, even gets sarcasm, jokes witty remarks, makes things really fun
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 5 he could accurately diagnose it, but I just couldn't accurately perform it!
- Effectiveness of treatment: 4 as I mentioned above, although I can't really blame it on him, for me being useless!
- Fun factor: 5, as said, he made it so funny, lively and not at all like a school type learning situation, only problem was he made the time go quicker as I was having so much fun!
Comments: I would seriously recommend this guy. Everyone disses real French instructors for all sorts of reasons and lots because they are worried about the level of communication and their ability to say more than Bend zee knees! Not at all. You can see how luch he loves skiing and just wants you too aswell. He teaches all levels from guiding to beginners and all in between. He's tempted me into giving telemarking a go next, so look out on the slopes next season! Telemarking here we come!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Discipline: Snowboarding
School: RTM
Instructor name: Tom Donnelly <tom@rtmsnowboarding.com>
Season: Met him on a 2001 McNab camp in Chamonix
Level: All, but probably best suited to advancing intermediates
Lesson type Did not take a lesson but benefited greatly from his tips and encouragement
Comments: Can't recommend this big friendly Irishman enough, a very symapthetic and perceptive teacher with solid technique.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Resort: Banff
School: Club Ski
Instructor name: Don ONeil
Season: 2004-2005
Lesson type 3-day course of group lessons (10am-3pm)
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): 5++
- Communication: Great at explaining what he wanted us to do, and demostrating
- Accuracy of diagnosis: picked up on everyone's different weaknesses in the group and used videos of us skiing as well - we got a video of us at the start and end of the course
- Effectiveness of treatment: very effective, even if we didn't actually belive that it would work - it did!
- Fun factor: Great fun, though obviously slightly limited according to the level of the group. But salom race was fab!
Comments: Can't recommend this guy enough. He took a group of rather nervous skiers green/easy blue run skiers and had us going down black runs by the end of the course. Two of the group were staying on longer and demanded him for another set of lessons. He was very patient, friendly and really good at explaining what he wanted us to do - and why it would work. The friends I was with couldn't believe how much my skiing improved & my husband wished he'd taken lessons as well (they went off skiing down scary runs without me Smile ) The lessons were quite expensive (well, it would be with three days of 10am-3pm!), but well worth it since Don acted as a guide as well as instructor and we never had to worry that we were going to end up on a slope we couldn't deal with. Equally, he also got us to go down slopes that I wouldn't have touched on my own. <enthusiastic rave over!>
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Resort: Arinsal, Andorra
School: Theres only one!
Instructor name: Robin, older Scottish Guy
Level: cocky intermediate
Lesson type Private - just me and my bruv
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): 4
- Effectiveness of treatment: 4
- Fun factor: 4 -( would be a 5 if my legs hadnt ached!!)
Comments: I refused to go in Ski school group lessons, so my mum forked out for 10hrs of private tuition for me and my brother, for a very very reasonable 300euro. Robin was an older Scottish guy and I would easily say the best instructor ive ever had! He gave me faith in ski instructors again! He very quickly ironed out all our bad habits, he was constructive with his criticism and praise and made me actually want to take more lessons! He was excellent with my stroppy teenage brother and soon had him coming down the steepest red in resort with confidence and control! He also taught us about mountain safety, piste etiquette, how avalanches occur and reported back to my anxious mother every day with how we'd done, where we'd been, where we were going the next day etc etc. I thoroughly recommend this guy!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Resort: La Rosiere
School: Evolution 2
Instructor name: Julien for me & Maxim for Deb
Season: March 05
Level: Off piste beginner
Lesson type 2 x 3 hour private lessons
- Fun factor: 6!
Comments: 20cm of overnight snow meant conditions were perfect for off piste lessons - and it was certainly off piste as we started with a 20 minutes hike to get to the top of a bowl/valley. Excellent safety precautions with transceivers, shovels & probes etc. Excellent avalanche awareness training. Just a fantastic morning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Resort: La Molina (Spain)
School: Not sure of school name but at Pista Llarga I think it is ecole d'esqui La Molina or something like that
Instructor name: Chrisitan Llobet
Season: Jan 06
Level: intermediate
Lesson type 2 x 1 hour private lessons
- Fun factor: 5!
Comments: A super instructor, the lesson was more for my girlfriend than me but he was very reassuring to her and even got her to down a black she would have never done with me. Couldn't recommend him enough
ski holidays
Resort: Les Deux Alpes
School: Easiski
Instructor name: Charlotte Swift
Season: Jan 06
Level: Advanced intermediate
Lesson type 6x2 hour pivate lessons
Comments: if you want someone who analyses your faults, tells you plainly what they are, and then has great enthusiasm for sorting them out effectively, I think Charlotte is one of the chosen. As a result of easiski's instruction, I now get less tired when I ski, and am more secure and efficient. I could not have asked for more.
latest report
Resort: La Rosiere
School: Evolution 2
Instructor name: David
Season: Feb 06
Level: 8 Kids from 1 week to 4 weeks experience. Ages 8-11
Lesson type 2.5 hrs for 6 days
- Communication: 4 English good, but not perfect
Comments: I have given maximum marks in most cases, but would have given more if I could. At the end of the first day he suggested splitting the group into 2 groups of 4, with one group being better than the other. This way they got 4 days each with the last day again combined. All the kids loved David, had bundles of fun and came on superbly. At the end of day 2 we watched him come down Tetras. In the middle are snow cannons and a little hump running down the piste. He had then doing 180 degree jumps over the hump. By the end of the week 4 had their gold (3*)badges and boy did they deserve them. He would discuss the acheivments of each child with the parents and child at the end of each session and tell them what to work on for the nextsession. Simply fabulous fun teaching.
latest report
Resort: Plan Peisey
Instructor name: Fred Pouye
Season 2003-2006 & continuing!
Level: Everybody
Assessment: (1=poor 5=outstanding
Communication: 5
Accuracy of diagnosis: 5
Effectiveness of treatment: 5
Fun factor:6
Comments
I have been having sessions with Fred for 3 years now - great guy. On & off piste, excellent with both the timid & the intrepid alike! Very positive & always finds a solution to your (or my!) ski problems. Has turned my skiing to real enjoyment when I was on the verge of giving up!
snow conditions
Resort: Livigno
School:

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 5-01-08 21:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Resort: Val D'Isere
School: Oxygene
Instructor name: David Boutet (www.youngriderssociety.com)
Season: 05/06
Level: telemark- beginner
Lesson type-private
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding):5
Comments: excellent telemark instruction - based in Bourge - but travells- sadly has only instructed telemark 3 times this season (Alpine/snowboard the rest of the time)- second in Derby de la Meije on tele- skis tele switch etc- very positive and can only suggest that all snowheads have a go- not as hard or tiring as I thought it would be
latest report
Resort: Based in La Grave other local resorts also used.
School: EdSkiTherapy /SkiersLodge
Instructor name: Ed Matthews
Season: 2006
Level: Beginners off piste
Lesson type1 week course=6 days, 6 hours per day, more if you include beer time. Group of 4.
- Effectiveness of treatment: 5 but not quite an off piste god yet.
Comments: We were the first to do this course, the lost mark in the overall assessment was because Ed was winging it a bit on the course structure side of things. This shouldn't be an issue with future courses.
The quality of instruction was excellent staring with 2 days on piste and introducing more off piste through the week including 2 days with an additional guide. Expect big improvements with on piste as well as off.
Physically a very tough - get down the gym to get the best out of the week.
This was both the hardest and most enjoyable weeks skiing I've ever had.
snow conditions
Resort: Snowmass/Aspen
School: Not sure of the name, the 'main'/'official' one that operates in the resort.
Instructor name: Tom "Coop" Cooper
Level: Advanced steeps and trees
Lesson type one afternoon solo private lesson and one full day two person private lesson.
- Fun factor: 5+++
Comments: I told Coop that I wanted to be pushed and he delivered. We skied the double blacks and trees with boot deep fresh powder. He came up with several small modifications to my style that were very effective and continually cranked up the complexity and speed of the trees until I couldn't think about the skiing and just had to do it. He enjoyed discussing the technical aspects of skiing (as do I) and was open to suggestions about changes and adjustments to drills, all in all it felt like we were learning together rather than being instructed. I had an excellent time with him and would love to ski with him again. More details available here in my Colorado 2006 trip report.
snow report
Resort: Tignes
Instructor name: Frédéric Juliard
Level: Advanced off piste
Lesson type Guiding
Comments: Frédéric led our group on a monster, high speed, off-piste trip around Tignes. He picked routes that challenged us and were technically interesting and due to his local knowledge managed to keep us on perfect snow all day even though this was very late season. The finale of the day was a 10 minute hike up to the Chardonnay couloir followed by a wonderful section of steep untouched snow. Fresh tracks in May, who'd have thought it!
ski holidays
Resort: Megève
Instructor name: Lucy Withall
Season: 2005/2006 and earlier
Level: Any.
Lesson type Private
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): 5+++
Comments: Lucy's an english ESF instructor based in Megève. She's often very busy but she's a good contact point as even if she can't fit you into her schedule she's often able to set you up with a suitable replacement. I've known Lucy for several years and all (although my views may be biased) all of the lessons I've had, at whatever level, have been excellent and rewarding and everyone else that I know that has had lessons with her have been very happy with the results.
latest report
Resort: Les Gets
School: Alpine Learning Curves - www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk
Instructor name: Joe Beer
Season: Various over 04/05 and 05/06 for myself and friends
Level: Any
Lesson typePrivate
- Fun factor: 3-5 (depends on the day!)
Comments: Joe has a no nonsense approach to teaching that is refreshingly free from jargon. I recommend him to my friends - I recommend him to you. What more can I say?
snow conditions
Resort:Le Seignus
Instructor name:Kati
Season:Winter 05/06
Level:Beginner children
Lesson typePrivate]
- Communication: 4
Comments: Kati is female, late 40's I'd say, and taught our two boys aged 12 and 7 in 5, 1.5 hour private lessons. The 12 year old is Dyspraxic and so his co-ordination is poor; Kati seemed to recognise this, was very patient and encouraging, never praised the 7 year old (who was excellent) excessively in order to build his brother's confidence, and they both achieved level 3 ESF badges. Highly recommend for kids of mixed ability, interest, stamina as she adapted so well to their individual needs. They had fun too, and were sorry to leave her.
snow conditions
Resort: Courchevel 1850
School: Supreme Ski School
Instructor name: Gareth Roberts
Level: Intermediate/Advanced
Lesson type Private
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding): Superb = 5
- Communication: Brilliant, easy communication = 5
- Accuracy of diagnosis: Excellent = 5
- Effectiveness of treatment: Excellent = 5
- Fun factor: Brilliant, had me doing tricks as well as learning technique = 5
Comments: Gareth is a superb instructor. He is particularly good with somebody who is very nervous, like me. He picked up immediately all the things that were bothering me and had strategies for dealing with them, including how to get me onto a black run without telling me it was, until after I'd skied down it. He makes the lessons fun, and I'm definitely going back for more this year.
snow report
Resort: PDS - Les Gets
School: 360 International
Instructor name: Fred
Season: Christmas 2006
Level: Beginner 5 yr old and 7 yr old
Lesson type Private
Comments: This guy changed my kids lives. Taught them to count to 100 to boot and other French phrases.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Resort: tremblant
School: ecoile du neige
Instructor name: jean paul
Level: steady intermediate
Lesson type ski week group of eight mixed
Comments: this guy took a group of completly diverse ages/sex/attitudes and gave us a great four days of ; improving technique/story telling/and confidence building skiing
latest report
Resort: Verbier
School: Warren Smith Academy
Instructor name: Si Guthrie
Season: 2007
Level: First real bash at "Euro" Powder
Lesson type Part of Academy; 10am till 3.30/4pm ish - 20mins lunch
- Communication: 5 - very willing to try alternative methods to get points over
- Fun factor: more scary than fun, but he tells good jokes.
Comments: Si (so I presume the academy) likes to have you ski outside your comfort zone just about all the time. It shows up your defects quickly, but makes the fixes seem wonderful. It also makes piste skiing seem a bit tame afterwards, I've never straightlined so many pistes (of all colours) just to get to the next lift quickly. And forget the speed tests, could your last instructor do this:

Shocked snowHead
snow report
Resort: Aspen/Snowmass
School: EpicSki Academy (Dave works for the Aspen Ski School)
Instructor name: Dave Grogan
Season: 2007
Level: Improving
Lesson type: 4 day EpicSki Academy (small group)
- Communication: 5 (once you get over the UnZed accent)
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 4 (his diagnosis was different to mine, but...)
- Effectiveness of treatment: 4 (used a variety of tactics to treat the problems)
- Fun factor: 5 (varied between being in my comfort zone, and being quite far from it)
Comments: Not quite your usual instructor, he has a rather unique style that makes learning infectious. Makes use of Weems Westfeldt's "Sports Diamond". He won't necessarily fix your perceived problem, but he gives you tactics that mean your problem doesn't exist any more. He is also a good judge of ability and will push as far as he believes is appropriate - which may be well beyond your own belief.
In the summer you'll find him running the Mount Hutt ski school in New Zealand. While it might not be true, the rest of the ski school and patrollers refer to him as "Sheep sh*gger"
ski holidays
Resort: Arinsal
School: There's is only one
Instructor name: Alfred ?
Season: Feb 2006
Level: Beginner
Lesson type Group
- Communication: 1
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 1
- Effectiveness of treatment: 1
- Fun factor: 1
Comments: First time in 15 years skiing for myself and first time ever for my girlfriend. She left the mountain in tears on the Monday afternoon and didn't make the Tuesday lesson. What I found very dissapointing is that every beginner was assumed to be at the same level and would pick it up at the same rate. There was no beginner beginners class for people to fall back into if you know what I mean. We lost half our class before we made it onto the chairlift and left the nursery slope
ski holidays
Resort: Villars
School: Villars Ski School
Instructor name: Lyndsey Mansfield / Edith Milleto
Season: Jan 2007
Level: Beginner
Lesson type Group
Comments: Was make or break for my girlfriend after last seasons disaster (see above). Now she's a ski princess and can't wait to go again snowHead
ski holidays
Resort: Tignes le Lac
School: Alpine Logic
Instructor name: Alan Hole
Season: Mar 2007
Level: Advanced intermediate (steeps & bumps, powder)
Lesson type: 3 x 2 hour private for 2 people
Comments: Strongly recommended, very clear instruction and great fun, black runs and moguls are less scary now. My wife throughly enjoyed the off piste. The 5s might imply a 'plant', but no. Try and you will not be sorry. URL www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk
Very Happy
latest report
Some sad news about Tom Donnelly, who was included on this thread in March 2005 - see extract below. Tom was found dead yesterday of a suspected heart attack at his family home in Belfast, just a day after burying his father, Tom senior, who died suddenly last week. Tom junior, aged only 39, was as talented an athlete as his father and both were real gentlemen. Condolences to his family circle. They will both be sadly missed.

Discipline: Snowboarding
School: RTM
Instructor name: Tom Donnelly <tom>
Season: Met him on a 2001 McNab camp in Chamonix
Level: All, but probably best suited to advancing intermediates
Lesson type Did not take a lesson but benefited greatly from his tips and encouragement
Comments: Can't recommend this big friendly Irishman enough, a very symapthetic and perceptive teacher with solid technique.
snow conditions
hilary t, that's very tragic. Sad
ski holidays
Resort: Banff/Lake Louise
School: Club Ski
Instructor name: Atsushi Kawano
Season: 06/07
Level: Throwing ourselves down the steepest slopes possible as many times we could between 10 and 4
Lesson type: Club ski-so quiet ended up with him as private instructor
- Communication: 4
Comments: I couldn't have wished for a more suited instructor wanting to push hard all the way and get the most out a days skiing-video analysis excellent improved from falling down double blacks in pain to flying down with relative style.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 20-12-08 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
apologies for my stupidity!!!
snow report
Rossfra8, ah, Mr Kamikaze! Toofy Grin The OH had him a few years back and it was as you say. Although as an instructor I don't think he was good - one of our friends was also in his group and he totally destroyed her confidence and her technique - took her the rest of her holiday to recover her mojo. It seemed like he just skiied the runs he wanted to ski, hang the students!
snow report
Yeh? I can imagine intermediate it wouldn't be so fun but we hit a lot of the steeper stuff at goats eye-far side-and some stuff off the back of the lake a big traverse round and i loved it. My knees didnt! I guess the language barrier posed a bit of a problem... I just read a review somewhere above about "Don" whom my father had at the time and thought exactly the same as the above reviewer, he was fantastic! Guess it just goes to show what a good instructor can do for your confidence-or even hinder it if you don't go well together!

Ross
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy