Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing while pregnant

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is the right forum but anyway.... What are your thoughts on this??

Myself and my better half have been discussing this. I would have thought it would be no problem - at least early on - but she says she would not ski at all if pregnant. Imagine my horror! A whole season spent at a snowdome?

I would welcome views on this, particularly if they are agreeable to mine (!!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes cant belive you would even consider letting her ski while pregnant to be honest Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a similar situation myself, with the wife not wanting to go skiing while carrying. So I went with the "boys" instead. She was invited along, but didn't see the point of spending that money just to sit in the chalet spa all day.

If your mrs won't let you go on your own for a full week, negotiate a long weekend as a compromise. But try not to abandon her if she is too far gone! Not really fair to disappear if she is in the final few months.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

cabt belive you would even consider it to be honest

Why?

Lots of people take part in physical activity when pregnant so why not skiing? I don't mean 8 months gone, but surely easy blue run cruising would be healthy for those in the early days of pregnancy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
conor, Yes think you'll find that most physical activity is encouraged in the earlier days of pregnancy - at least it was 20 years ago !. Mind you I'm sure a lady or kramer will be along to give you the definitive version before long.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there any medical opinion on this issue? Obviously skiing is not completely without risk, especially considering there are other skiers to contend with.

For info, we're not yet in this 'situation' but plan to be soon and it will I have no doubt become an issue. I would just like to know what the general consensus is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some previous stuff on snowHeads might be useful:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=95123

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=81110

and a big one here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=748 with lots of useful links provided by the much missed Jonpim
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
conor, there is a school of thought that says ski ing up to 13 weeks pregnant is ok, beyond that probably not a good idea. However my wife refused to ski at all and sun bathed for a week in Deux Alps (maybe the weather made the decision for her - the holiday had been booked before we knew about bump). Her decision was based on the fact very early in pregnacy your ligaments start to soften so it is easier to get an injury from a simple fall or twist. Her friend skied early in pregnacy and twisted her knee on the bottom of the nursery slope after cruising an easy blue and has not now ski - ied for four years after needing a ligament operation!

Mind you, my wife is happy to go to the top of the muntain and sun bathe at a cafe all day - other people are not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slightly off topic.

We had a group of 20 pregnant heifers (Young Cows) in a field when some Army Helicopters flew over very low. As you can imagine it totally freaked them out and then ran in all directions. At least 3-4 of them aborted their calves due to the trauma.

So I would tell my wife to stay at home and with the cash saved I'd go on a second trip snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
conor wrote:
Quote:

cabt belive you would even consider it to be honest

Why?

Lots of people take part in physical activity when pregnant so why not skiing? I don't mean 8 months gone, but surely easy blue run cruising would be healthy for those in the early days of pregnancy.

Early on in pregnancy is just as dodgy as later. What if she has a fall etc etc

Physical activity such as awimming or walking yes, but anything that could involve some impact is just stupid. Its for 40 weeks, trust me, get used to it, when little one is here you wont have any time for skiing for a few years anyway. Until they are old enough to learne obviously.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I were pregnant I would still ski. If I couldn't ski then I would not get pregnant! But I would not push myself to do anything where I'd be likely to fall, and I'm pretty good at maintaining balance when beginners crash into me!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
conor, with our first, we went over New Year and Mrs Z didn't even know that she was pregnant - it was that early. With a December conception, you get an August birthday, which means that the little one is at least 4 months (and maybe 8 months) by the time the next season comes around and there are plenty of companies that provide creche facilities for that age of child. So you could plan it so that you don't even have to miss a season. Of course nature doesn't always work like that though does it ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry wrote:

Actually, I'm afraid that's not quite true. Early on in pregnancy the uterus is contained within the bony pelvis, and so much less susceptible to minor trauma.

The general considered consensus of medical opinion (as opposed to knee jerk reaction) would be that gentle skiing in the first trimester shouldn't cause any harm, but that as there is a high risk of miscarriage at this time, would you be able to cope with the inevitable doubts if the worst were to happen on your skiing holiday? It is also true about ligaments becoming a bit more lax, with a possible increased susceptibility to rupture or sprains.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
Renry wrote:

but that as there is a high risk of miscarriage at this time, would you be able to cope with the inevitable doubts if the worst were to happen on your skiing holiday? .

That was my point, and if later things went wrong would you be able to say, "skiing cant have caused that"

Take no chances, thats my advice.

We recently had a baby (3 months ago) and my wife who dosnt smoke but does enjoy the odd drink left it well alone, and they say the odd glass of red wine etc does no harm. Our opinion was, leave nothing to chance, and that would have included skiing, if she was a skiier.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife skied this year when she was about 6 weeks pregnant. However, she skied very warily and carefully - in the back of her mind was the thought of falling or being hit and needing an X ray which may have been problematic Puzzled
snow report
Renry wrote:

That is a little oversimplistic.
snow report
Personally, I share the opinions of everyone who says no. Skiing is classed as a high-risk sport even when you're not pregnant. Imagine how upset Mr. Baby might be if he's upset by a nasty fall Sad
ski holidays
as a woman, I find both the first two posts in this thread pretty amazing. One trying to persuade his partner to ski whilst pregnant, when she doesn't want to, the other implying that no decent bloke would "let" his partner ski whilst pregnant. I could not think of affording a ski holiday when my first two kids were born, and when pregnant with the third I was living and working in Barbados, so I went windsurfing instead (but only till eight months...). But more important, if I were contemplating starting a family with someone who made such a production about the prospect of missing just one year's skiing (there speaks someone who has yet to find out how totally having kids turns your life upside down....) I would think again.

If this woman has a strong feeling that she would definitely not ski when pregnant, then to try to persuade her to do so would be very unfair and probably unsuccessful. Equally, however, if a fit healthy woman wanted to do some skiing whilst pregnant, then I think that should be her decision. It's probably not so bad for the baby as sitting round on a sofa eating ice cream and watching the telly because hubby has boogered off with the boys.
snow report
Skiing's not that high risk. A lot fewer injuries than sports like hockey, lacrosse, badminton. And not just minor injuries - death too! What about horse riding? I'm sure lots of pregnant women continue to ride, and that is high risk.

As pam w, said, it's just a matter of personal choice.
ski holidays
pam w, I thought the first post was tongue in cheek... hardly grounds for divorce proceedings! wink Gaining a little information from the experts - doctors and ski pros - combined with anecdotal accounts, seems pretty sensible to me.
latest report
If you want to get pregnant and ski, a little planning and a January Ski holiday is all that is required. Very Happy

Both my daughters celebrate their birthdays at the end of September Toofy Grin
snow report
I know an instructor who worked through the second trimestre but not in the first or third. I believe this was because she felt the that to ski during the first was likely to increase the chances of mis-carrying, and that by the third trimestre it gets more difficult due to size, balance etc.

My wife became pregnant at the end of a season and our daughter was born around Christmas time. We managed a two week holiday in April. My wife's skiing was virtually unaffected and with the help of a nanny provided by the chalet company we managed to combine breastfeeding and the skiing day very well. My daughter for what its worth was absolutely fine, though we did spend much longer than normal driving too and from the resort plus we were very careful driving up and down the mountain due to the pressure changes, with my daughter feeding and sucking a dummy virtually all the way. With a decent baby monitor we were able to enjoy our evenings int he chalet and even managed a couple of meals out with the nanny doing a couple of extra hours babysitting.

I have to say taking my daughter at 4 months when she was still not mobile was really quite easy. As an inquisitive crawling 8 month old (ie now!) I can see it would be much more difficult!
latest report
 brian
brian
We already had a holiday booked when my wife got pregnant with our first. She decided not to ski (she was about 15 weeks I think), not that she couldn't have taken it easy herself but you never know when some out of control nutter is going to take you out.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Renry wrote:

That is a little oversimplistic.

What do you mean Kramer, it cant be any more straight forward,
Either you take the chance and ski, or you play it safe and dont ski, how can that be over simplistic?
latest report
Renry, you assume that not skiing carries no risk, which isn't true.

You're also making some very definitive statements about the risks associated with skiing, would you care to qualify them?
ski holidays
Kramer, here we go again, this has to be one of SnowHeads most contentious subjects. wink Have any of our lady members skied whilst pregnant?
snow report
Kramer

Kramer wrote:

The general considered consensus of medical opinion (as opposed to knee jerk reaction) would be that gentle skiing in the first trimester shouldn't cause any harm, but that as there is a high risk of miscarriage at this time, would you be able to cope with the inevitable doubts if the worst were to happen on your skiing holiday?

Hi, don't know you so am just wondering what your background is given those statements? You sound like a 'medical type'?

We already have a ski strip arranged for March next year and there is the possibility that my wife may be pregnant by then Toofy Grin

She has said that she feels quite happy to ski gently as she knows 2 friends who did so. In fact we deliberately booked to go in a group so that I would have people to ski with so we haven't got the complications of 'go'/'no go' that others seem to face.

I guess I was just wondering about your statement about the 'inevitable doubts'. I prefer dealing with fact, and would it be fair to say that with the risk of miscarriage during that period (bar a bad fall or accident skiing) it would be silly to attribute that to skiing as it could be to so many other factors?
ski holidays
no, but i spent a month trekking in the himalyas at 4 months .. made sure I stayed below 10,00 feet and no ill effects save that son (now 10) is an adrenaline junkie obsessed with mountains, height, speed, climbing, racing ... could be entirely unconnected though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Kramer, Have any of our lady members skied whilst pregnant?

Probably more than any Male members have Toofy Grin We tend to think it's all done and dusted by then ... (Incoming missiles anticipated) wink
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, yes, three times, although I've only been pregnant twice! I was fit and healthy and skied when the bump didn't show at all, and again when I was about 5-6 months. And I was even fitter and healthier afterwards. It's probable the slopes weren't nearly as busy back then, but at no time did I feel I was putting my babies at risk - obviously, or I wouldn't have done it.

They've both grown up to be great skiers too Very Happy
latest report
agavin, I'm a GP.

This is a subject that comes up frequently on this site. The knee jerk reaction is always the same, that people should not take any perceived risk at all when pregnant, however as is so often the case, what appears at first sight to be very straightforward is actually a deal more complex.

If you were skiing in the first trimester, there is probably a very small risk of inducing a miscarriage as a result of your skiing, however this has to be balanced against the risks of doing other things instead of skiing. By the logic of trying to avoid all perceived risk, pregnant women should avoid pubs, unnecessary car journeys, stairs etc. The list is endless, and even if you did manage to avoid them all, there is still the risk to the mothers mental health, and the risk of DVT which actually increase with inactivity.

I made my statement about inevitable doubts, because in most cases having a miscarriage is a very traumatic experience, and most women tend to blame themselves initially. Now although logically you can tell yourself that it would have happened anyway (which would almost certainly be true), there will still always be that element of doubt in your mind. If you feel that you could deal with this then fine, but if you're not sure, then it's probably best to avoid it as it could be difficult to get over.

As PamW stated, in the end it comes down to the ladies choice, if she wants to go skiing then there's no reason not to, as long as she's sensible, if she doesn't want to, then she probably shouldn't be persuaded to change her mind.
ski holidays
Quote:

if she doesn't want to, then she probably shouldn't be persuaded to change her mind.
I think this covers even non pregnant women!. Alternatley substitute "shouldn't" for "can't"
snow report
Thanks Kramer. Good useful response.

I understand what you are saying - my wife is a garden designer/horticulturalist and I think fully intends to keep doing some light manual work as long as she is able and I guess this is the same argument.

She is up for skiing and I am not too worried as she isn't a risk taker and is quite happy to enjoy gentle skiing (although she is far more partial to jumps than me - but I think/hope maternal instincts would take over Smile )

We deliberately chose to go with a mixed ability group - as she said that way we could do a bit together, and I could go off with others for my fix, and she could hang out with the beginnners in the group. By the sound of things we are lucky to have this understanding sorted out.
snow report
Quote:

as a woman, I find both the first two posts in this thread pretty amazing. One trying to persuade his partner to ski whilst pregnant, when she doesn't want to

I feel compelled to defend myself here. Pam W, please read my initial entry. It does not say anywhere that I am tryin to persuade my other half when she does not want to.

Quote:

Myself and my better half have been discussing this.

That is what I said. We initially disagreed on this matter in that she felt it was too dangerous and a felt it was not. As for not wanting to miss one year's skiing, is there anyone registered on this site who would want to miss one years skiing?

PG, yes the tone of my first post was tongue in cheek, but my question is a serious one and I should net be criticised for seeking to inform myself on what is an important and evidently contentious issue. I have read other medical and pregnancy websites, many of which disagree.
ski holidays
Quote:

We had a group of 20 pregnant heifers (Young Cows) in a field when some Army Helicopters flew over very low. As you can imagine it totally freaked them out and then ran in all directions. At least 3-4 of them aborted their calves due to the trauma.

Sorry, johnboy, are you saying that on-piste skiing is OK, but that Mrs conor, should avoid heliskiing??
latest report
Interestingly, we originally took the view that my wife should not ski while pregnant solely because of the potential trauma that we but primarily she would have to deal with if she skied and something happened. However in the end she skied at 2-3 months pregnant, did not push herself, stopped early (to avoid the dangerous blue runs home at the end of the day).

I have to say i would still have preferred her not to ski but i am a worrier type and ultimaltye it was her decision.
snow conditions
I end my point with this, by skiing you increase the risk of....whatever with you unborn child. Dont ski, and its one less thing that can cause somthing to go wrong, its not as if you HAVE TO go skiing now. I cant understand that there is even a debate on this issue.

Your choice.
snow report
Renry, I'm sorry, but your perception of the level of risk is wrong. Would you care to qualify your views? I've qualified mine.
ski holidays
At the risk of starting a flaming war rolling eyes
Renry wrote:
I end my point with this,

I don't think Kramer has let you wink
Quote:
by skiing you increase the risk of

....injury to anyone of us at any time as opposed to sitting on our @r@es doing nothing. As is frequently pointed out here, it is inherently dangerous for anyone . Why not stop your wife skiing altogether - much safer.;-)Interestingly when would you let your child 'ski'. If it is a boy and you wait for him to overcome his 'lack of fear and danger' then you will wait a very long time
Quote:
I cant understand that there is even a debate on this issue.

As pointed out not cut and dry, or are you still someone who doesn't understand why women were given the vote? Or why your boss doesn't understand you always? I doubt it but you take my point

Quote:
Your choice.

Yep, thank goodness for a free World and the ability to make these choices in a Western democracy - we all could be in Iraq or worse.

Argumentative so-and so aren't I !
snow report
How can I be clearer with my opinion on this matter then I have already been.

That there ia a chance of having an accident skiing, thus possibly causing complications to an unborn child if an accident occurs
Dont ski and hhmmmm what would you have it..... no chance of having an accident skiing,

The fact that you are recognising that by skiing that there is a risk, dont go sking = no chance of having an accident skiing

Not rocket science
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy