Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing when pregnant?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any experience to share? Or know any friends who have skied when pregnant?

Until how far along have you skied? Until you can't fasten your salopettes anymore?! Also how soon after having a baby have people felt up to getting back on their skis?

I am a midwife but have no personal experience of this yet!

However I have been asked for my thoughts a couple of times just recently and so I thought I would ask here..

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also have no experience of this, but I remember a fairly lively debate on this subject "over at the other place". The general feeling was that you shouldn't ski while pregnant, but several people hotly disputed that!

I think that if I was pregnant, I wouldn't want to run the risk of falling and causing damage to the unborn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The mother of a friend from my junior gate-bashing days fell down a crevasse when she was 7 months pregnant with him. He was a bit odd but pretty normal considering. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just went and had a look in the other place for you, the conclusion in the end seemed to be that up to 20 maybe as late as 26 weeks you should be ok provided that you don't go to high altitudes keep below 8,000 to 10,000 ft as above these altitudes the oxygen is sufficiently thin to damage the unborn child, a quick trip up and down at those altitudes should be fine but no taking lunch or dawdling there, certainly no staying at altitude, Also of course avoid crashes and falls, I think if you have a good standard of skiing and don't over exert yourself you should be ok, a lot of course would depend on how you feel each day Razz

Hope that helps
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's down to personal choice. If they have tried for a long time, or if there have been early complications then they probably won't want to take the risk.

No matter how carefully you ski, you cannot control those around you who may bang into you. Personally my feelings are the slopes will be there next season, but one slip and your baby might not.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks DG! I didn't realise there had been a discussion over there... I will go and have a quick look!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There was a photo back in December on the Lake Louise website of a british lady (6 months pregnant), this caused an absolute uproar on the other side of the pond and when I caught up with the photographer I asked him what the deal was. He said that she was absolutely throwing herself down mogul runs and was fitter than most of the people on the mountain and was a tri-athlete who hadn't given up ANY of her sports. Bloody well good on her I'd say! Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Related just about, but one practice that should be firmly discouraged is skiing with baby in those backpack carriers... the number of times I've seen that, how stupid can you get. I remember one liftie arguing with a woman - he refused point blank to let her take the draglift. Others let them through. I wonder if there are any firm rules on this in the resorts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its got to be personal choice and responsibility.
Aside from altitude effects if you are very high, then if you are generally fit - then the exercise element of skiing is probably beneficial as you keep active and have the benefit of the feel good factor of being in the mountains. The chances are that you will be more cautious - so will not go for challenging runs - but enjoy ones that are easy for your ability.
As I see the biggest danger is what you can't account for - other people. I have had my skis clipped so many times - and just the one chance that the clip results in a fall would keep me off the slopes. For me its an avoidable danger so I probably wouldn't risk it - but I certainly wouldn't judge other people for doing it, if they felt the risk was acceptable
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah do a search with pregnant in the search field, has about 80 comments.

PG chairlifts in Wengen area specifically forbid children in backpacks, I'm not sure about draglifts, probably not as there would be no other way arround, biggest problem is with people who don't realise that the kids in the backpack are slowly turning into popsicles, I'm not sure if this has ever happened despite the stories that say it has
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was a story last season of a dad who skied with his kid in a backpack, and the kid froze to death. I presume it was true.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, Now you mention it, I'm sure I remember that story
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DG I've done the search...thanks!

After reading the threads on this over on the 'other side' I am a bit worried now that I may have opened a huge can of worms!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't worry, Sarah, we've lost our principle agent provocateur for this sort of thing (although we'd like him back!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I originally typed my first post as "let battle commence", but then changed it!
snow report
Whilst in La Rosiere, I saw a guy skiing with his young son on his shoulders! And not too slowly at that. The guy seemed very in control and adept, but I did wonder about some of the other novices that were in the immediate vicinity.

Hear hear, Ian - where is he?
latest report
When in La Plagne a few years ago, a baby died while in a backpack, the father was skiing not knowing the baby had died of cold! Truly awful. No-one we knew, but word went round the resort pretty quickly as you can imagine.
snow conditions
Mark, dunno - someone tried to get contact through ski club but he may have signed up using a disposable/defunct e-mail...
latest report
sallyanne, that really is tragic. Even with your own children, you can't imagine how that discovery would make you feel.
snow report
Mark, I also emailed him through Friends Reunited, but no response.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, I have to say, it's a shame he decided against joining us over here in that case. Unless he's using a pseudonym, of course.
ski holidays
I think we'd have spotted his style Wink
snow report
Just in passing, how many of the old forum regulars have defected from the other side? Most? Half? ???
snow conditions
Good question? It depends on what you class as regulars. I reckon that most of the regular posters have made the trip across, but I know that there were plenty of lurkers. The other thing to add into the confusion was that many regulars had several pseudonyms,therefore it's hard to classify how many people were there.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 15-03-04 14:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Several? That really confuses things, what's the point?
snow conditions
Members of SCGB were automatically logged in under their own name. If they wanted to post anonymously then they came up with a pseudonym. Several people were known to come up with multiple log-ins and have conversations with themselves rolling eyes
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Ah, the 'if you can't get anyone else to agree with you, agree with yourself' syndrome. A big problem on unmoderated usenet, should be banned on moderated web-based forums, I reckon....
snow report
Admittedly, one of the conversations that took place, between several dead scientists, was way over my head Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all.
Ian, Elizabeth, Mark...the absent poster you speak about...would he be the one of errant twaddle and garrulous something fame? Bit slow to catch on sometimes me but if him then yes I too had a couple of blunt replies from him on the other side!
ski holidays
sarah, we're (or at least I'm) referring to Kevin McClean (aka Beef).
latest report
sarah, The advice at http://www.ivillagehealth.com/experts/womens/qas/0,,166335_125055,00.html makes sense to me. Note the Doctor suggests anyone under 'strong intermediate' level shouldn't take the risk...
snow report
Elizabeth B, had no idea he was also Beef. Doh!
ski holidays
Elizabeth...I had spotted his replies when looking at the archived thread on the other side earlier this am..not very nice at all.
No there was someone else who was also quite rude but it wasn't him.

PG thanks for that link, I agree it's sensible.
snow conditions
Sarah, I presume you're referring to someone called David?
snow conditions
Think that was him...have we lost him too? Wink
snow conditions
You never know.I'm sure if he apologises, promises to be good, and offers a large donation.....maybe u brain would consider his application Wink
snow report
sarah, I'm a nooby: I thought all the "interesting" pregnant posts on SCGB were from Kevin (where are you Kevin?).
It was fascinating to read all the posts. All opinions were non-medical except one, and he didn't claim to be an obstetrician. But right under our noses is the greatest information source ever: the web. I just typed in "ski pregnant" into Google and got 4 opinions on the first page (Alta Vista not so good):
http://www.hamline.edu/~wnk/nordic-ski/1995/msg01048.html
http://www.ifyouski.com/Health/Guide/Pregnancy/
http://www.skimag.com/skimag/evolution/article/0,12795,325792,00.html
http://www.skimag.com/skimag/fitness/article/0,12795,543592,00.html
http://www.travelinsurance.co.uk/travel/Travel-While-Pregnant.htm

I'm an anaesthetist so no expert in this area. The presumed problem by most posters is injury to the baby. This is probably the least of your worries. I can think of 4 possible problems:
1. Travel by plane (immobile and hypoxia)
2. Altitude (hypoxia)
3. Injury to mum (lax ligaments)
4. Injury to baby (trauma)
If you read all the articles (especially http://www.skimag.com/skimag/fitness/article/0,12795,543592,00.html) you will see that even expert opinion is vehemently divided. I would agree with DGO: in general you should be fine up to 26/28 weeks and maybe consider Europe rather than USA (lower resorts). And I think the post suggesting you should listen to your body is quite right as well - if you feel up to it: do it.
Later on in pregnancy you won't want to do anything!
I would have let my (ex)wife ski when pregnant.
(Meanwhile I am off to canvas obstetric colleagues - get back to you later)
latest report
P.S. Your baby is probably much more at risk from Apres Ski. Can you resist all that lovely wine? What about all that passive smoking?
snow report
My wife and I cancelled our ski plans for this season on discovering that she was pregnant. She is a very good skier capable of holding her own on any given terrain and could conceivably have moderated her skiing to suit. But the thought of her or the unborn Klammer coming to harm through collision or innocuous fall was enough to make our decsion.

Our consultant was in agreement, although medically skiing early in pregnancy is not a problem persay, the risk is not worth taking. He did however say that she could go with me but not ski, Claire did not share that part of his view

We will however be making up for lost time next season.
snow report
My wife is currently pregnant, and we took the decision very early on that it generally wouldn't be a good idea for her to ski at all this season. There may be no medical problem with skiing whilst pregnant, but the risks are still far too great. Missing one season is a small price to pay for a healthy baby.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy