Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The December 17th/18th Travel Disruption Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

The words "furniculaire", "Super U for a bucket of Cotes du Rhone", and "where's the problem?" spring to mind.....

there was no funicular to Tignes and Val D'Isere last time I looked.... wink

My plans today changed because I developed a horrible cold yesterday and as my trip to Italy is to see a week old baby, I have postponed that. But made a dash for the Alps before the nasty weather hits the south of England and the snow starts in earnest here. Now in Les Saisies after long day's driving - it's dark, but it looks as though there is more snow than at just about any time last season, even before the forecast deluge over the next few days.

It was stormy in northern France, and cold, with some hail storms which weren't nice (like driving on ball bearings). But maybe we outpaced a cold front - it was mild and clear, though pretty windy, for the second part of the journey, no problem. It was 8 degrees in Geneva at 2130! Off to Italy on Sunday, when roads will probably be OK again.

the Eurotunnel terminal was choked with freight - presumably because of ferry disruptions - but cars going through with no problem.

We put our flood gates in at home before we left. wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
06:30 flight out of Bristol to Geneva with a MASSIVE hangover after our Christmas do tomorrow. Lucky dip for Friday skiing snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, glad you made it!

I think people travelling to European ski resorts on Friday might have a tough time with the storms here AND heavy snow in the Alps ... not to mention airport security staff striking in France.

I just hope the worst is over by Saturday morning.

All adds to the fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Port of Dover has a website: http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=TrafficTravelWeather which seems helpful. I seem to remember reading somewhere (last year) that Dover Harbour would shut when winds achieve 55-60 knots which is around 70mph, I think Calais might be able to handle higher windspeeds but you might want to check.

From what I can tell from the Met Office website winds on 16 Dec 11 wil be in the region of 30mph through the channel which is around force 5-6 which probably makes it a blue/red run.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latest press releases on the strikes.

French Airport Strike
12/12/11 All French airport security employees to strike Friday 16 December 2011 per Le Figaro
This information was released late tonight, if this is so, plan for extreme delays and perhaps possible flight cancellations
---
SUD-Rail will strike 10am Sunday 20 November till 8am Tuesday 22 November. All rail traffic normal except Express train (TER)
Provence - Alpes - Cote d'Azur Auvergne. Pacd and Auvergne. Strike to be "renewed" on 27 and November 28 and December 4 and 5. Update Strikes
are sporadic some trains replaced by buses.

So I am driving down Friday night. Have booked chunnel because of the possible ferry disruption. But the journey will face potential chaos, industrial action, snow through France and snow going up the alps on Saturday Morning. I guess the trick is to hit the Alps at daybreak and be ahead of the coaches as they stream from the airports - if there are any flights.

If there aren't any flights the slopes will be nice and quiet
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arctic Roll wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:
...remember the day everyone arriving in Bourg St Maurice had to sleep in school halls
Yup, remember it well. Was in Arc 1800 and had a brilliant day on the slopes in great snow and no queues Happy

We were fortunate enough get a phone call on the daytime Eurostar warning of us of disruption, and then in trying to arrange accomodation that didn't involve the school halls, were extremely grateful to PG who put up our entire group of 9 in his BsM pad. God love snowHead and the whole community

We heard of busses taking 12 hours to get from Geneva, only to be stopped at the bottom, and the entire lot decanted into the gyms for a mat and a blanket. Not a great way to start a break...

It will forever be hard wired into my memory.... 12 hour drive from Lyon airport to Val D'Isere that day. Super U had run out of chains but eventually found some in Roady that didn't come with the Euro 215 price tag that the Bourg garage was charging - about 40 I think - a load cheaper than the car hire charges but it was a little bit stressful. We (well the three automotive engineers I was with!) put the chains on in the valley while it was still light and everyone thought we were nuts until we sailed past them about three hours later as they were stopped by police to put their chains on in deep slushy snow in the dark.

We were very lucky being one of the last batch of cars being allowed up the mountain that night - especially as we had nowhere actually booked to stay that week (long story) - the resort was very empty that night and we very easily found a room at a very sweet little hotel (Les Chardons) run by the maddest woman in the world.

They closed the road shortly afterwards due to increased avalanche risk both on the road and in resort. Our friends who arrived an hour after us into the airport and who were getting the transfer coach ended up in the school gym unfortunately.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
emwmarine, and people had the tenacity to b!tch when a few people in England went on strike for one measly day!! Bloody lazy Frenchies.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scampi Dellahanti, Wow! One of the better war stories, that. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The words "furniculaire", "Super U for a bucket of Cotes du Rhone", and "where's the problem?" spring to mind.....

there was no funicular to Tignes and Val D'Isere last time I looked.... wink

So there were halls full of grumpy folk, sitting around moaning that if they couldn't ski the Espace Killy, they wouldn't ski anywhere? I'm even more baffled now...... wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And its started already.... road to Val D'Isere has been cut off all morning by a truck that, in the words of John Yates Smith "got stuck"!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oops. from the Val Thorens website. Looks like getting up the valley could be problematic::

Due to severe weather conditions (heavy snowfall and strong wind) forecast in the next 72hrs, please be aware of the following important information:

1− traffic in the Belleville Valley will be greatly increased during this period, with peak congestion expected between midday on Friday and Saturday evening

2− in these conditions, it is highly likely that avalanche control plans will be put into practice on the road on Friday and Saturday night, which will lead to temporary closure of access routes to the resort

3− we recommend that you avoid any unnecessary journeys during this period and encourage your staff to do the same and to make use of the available car parks. We also strongly urge you to car-share when travelling to our resorts

- Don’t forget your snow chains, remember to keep them somewhere accessible, and practise putting them on your vehicle before setting off.

- Equip yourself with warm clothing, an electric lamp, and drinking water.

- In the event of a traffic jam, don’t leave your vehicle unless you are asked to by officials or police.

Information will be passed on by local radio stations, ALTITUDE 3000 (101.0 Mhz), and France Bleu Pays de Savoie (103.9 Mhz). rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

So there were halls full of grumpy folk, sitting around moaning that if they couldn't ski the Espace Killy, they wouldn't ski anywhere? I'm even more baffled now..

OK, I'll explain a little more carefully. Loads and loads of people were arriving, by train and coach, with all their baggage, to start their holiday in two of the biggest ski resorts in the world. So, quite a few people, for whom there were beds waiting in the Espace Killy. However, there was no way of getting them to their accommodation and there was No Room in the Inn at Bourg St Maurice. The luckiest ones knew a helpful SH, some of the slightly less lucky ones got a blanket and a space on the floor of a school hall or similar, organised by the kind people of Bourg St Maurice.

What's so hard to understand about that?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I think his point was that if he were stuck in BSM he would hop on the funicular and ski Les Arc, then come back down and party the night away on cheap supermarket plonk.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edit

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 15-12-11 13:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Am amusing snow/transport related you tube clip from Remarks. Probably more amusing if you were the car filming, than in the coach or watching it come down the hill towards you.

http://youtube.com/v/WX0x_Q3fcDg&feature=related
snow report
pam w, 'twas indeed, as Flet©h suggests, nowt more than a light hearted quip, suggesting that there are somewhat worse places to be stuck.
snow report
Could not wait for the weekend. Had Les Gets/Tanninges rd closed by lorries jacknifing this morning, the joys NOT.
latest report
Oh man, I need to stop reading this thread Sad
snow report
DallyPaul, will HGVs be banned from Alps roads this weekend? Seem to remember seeing notices on the A40 a few years ago.

harrisontherabbit, yes, I suppose there are worse places to be stuck even though BsM in the middle of a very cold, black, night, with nowhere to sleep, is not a lot of fun!
ski holidays
I am in a slightly different position, I am in Val Thorens and have to leave on Saturday...it aint stopped snowing since Tuesday and it sounds like the worse it yet to come. You lot are worrying about getting up the mountain, I am starting to worry about getting down.
snow report
Flet©h wrote:
pam w, I think his point was that if he were stuck in BSM he would hop on the funicular and ski Les Arc, then come back down and party the night away on cheap supermarket plonk.

Appreciate it was a light-hearted comment, but most of those people will have been at the mercy of their tour operators in terms of getting the much-delayed onward transfers to their resorts. A quickie up the funicular wouldn't really have been an option.

I remember that day well, with lost of phone calls with PG trying to rustle up some spare beds. He managed to accommodate everyone in his place, but IIRC I was ready to vacate my apartment (and bunk up with my neighbour) to accommodate friends of arctic roll who were due to be grounded in BSM until the road to Arc 2000 was declared safe.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, crazy, crazy bus driver. Why didn't he stop and put some chains on? Ought to be locked up.
latest report
The Bison Futé Road traffic calendar 2011 (in English), http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/en/IMG/pdf/TRAFFIC_FORCASTS_-doc_2011_cle1d7548.pdf
latest report
nozawaonsen, it is the fact that he managed to stop, then started off again
snow conditions
Good news is that Radio Val D'Isere reports that the authorities have stated that the road up to Val will remain open tomorrow night. Lucky as we'll be ascending around 10pm and was faced with the prospect of finding a hotel somewhere. Still might need to, if theres a serious slide somewhere. What are the choices in BsM?
ski holidays
gangstarrrrr wrote:
Good news is that Radio Val D'Isere reports that the authorities have stated that the road up to Val will remain open tomorrow night. Lucky as we'll be ascending around 10pm and was faced with the prospect of finding a hotel somewhere. Still might need to, if theres a serious slide somewhere. What are the choices in BsM?

If you're quick there's a quiet corner going free in the school gym Toofy Grin You get smelly gym mats and everything! Or maybe a camp bed in the sports store?
snow report
"La Gendarmerie et la Police Municipale ont informé du caractère OBLIGATOIRE pour tous les véhicules d’être équipés de chaînes, à l’exception des véhicules 4 roues motrices équipés de pneus neige, aussi bien pour monter à Val d’Isère que descendre, et ce jusqu’à nouvel ordre. Les réfractaires seront verbalisés. Demain, selon les circonstances, l'aire de chaînage de la Raye sera activée de 16h à 20h. Samedi, l'aire de chaînage sera activée de 7h à 20h. Les gendarmes obligeront à mettre les chaînes sauf pour les 4x4 équipés de pneus neige en bon état.

Côté routes dans Val d'Isère, les routes du Fornet via le Laisinant et du Châtelard sont fermées à la circulation des piétons à partir de 16h30, elles seront fermées à toute circulation (piétons et véhicules) à partir de 21h00. La route de la Daille est fermée à la circulation des piétons à partir de 21h00.

Il a été confirmé par le Conseil Général que la route de Bourg St Maurice à Val d'Isère ne sera pas fermée cette nuit."

- It's obligatory to equip vehicles with snow chains, going up or down, except for 4 wheeled vehicles with snow tires. 'Rebels' will be reported.
Tomorrow it seems to be the same between 4 and 8pm, although I'm not quite sure what the "area of chaining of the Raye" is.

- Side roads in Val, roads to the Fornet will be closed to pedestrians after 4.30, and to all from 9pm. However, the Bourg-Val road won't be closed tonight.
So I'm not sure about tomorrow night, I can't imagine it could possibly stay open for too long though. I'm travelling Friday daytime.
latest report
OK, I'm sensing my initial comment went down like a lead balloon with some. However, whilst made in jest, there was a serious point to it. If we choose to spend our holidays in mountainous regions, and depend on inclement weather to make them enjoyable, then surely we have to accept that occasional travel disruption is part of the package?

Yes, I'm sure that most people stranded in Bourg would have far preferred to have been relaxing in a hot tub on the balcony with a glass of bubbly, and no, I don't think a night on the floor in a chilly school hall is an ideal start to a holiday, but it's hardly the end of the world (even if you don't get in a cheeky hour or two on the slopes.)

Now, being stranded in a car on a mountain pass, with limited fuel, depending on a airlift to safety but being unaware whether or not anyone even knows you're there; that would be cause for concern. But that kind of thing rarely happens as a result of effective transport management.

Shit happens, but chill out, it'll be fine. And when you get there, it'll be Epic! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
harrisontherabbit, agreed !!! Laughing
ski holidays
Hells Bells, excellent; good to see there's some positivity left round here! Smile

On a separate note, I have to say, nozawaonsen's video didn't half remind me of the transfer to the SOPiBash...... Shocked
snow report
harrisontherabbit, talking of which, I am currently webcam watching, and checking road conditions on the Col despite not leaving for another week. Heavy snow, winter equipment obligatory, difficult conditions.
snow report
harrisontherabbit, lol never said it was a strain... especially as rob@rar and PG were looking after us! But for some, particularly those with small children things can get a little fraught and frightening even.

But, you are spot on - No snow? No skiing. Learn to love it. Apparently all the Arc2000 lifts and pistes were closed this afternoon as the storm came through... and supposedly worse expected tomorrow. Good luck and safe journey to everyone attempting to make it out for a pre-Christmas slide.

But a good base for the rest of the season...
ski holidays
For any one driving out tomorrow there is a weather warning out for very strong winds across large areas of Northern France and into Switzerland. Gusts up to 90-110km/hr, and possibly up to 160 km over hilly areas.

http://france.meteofrance.com/vigilance/Accueil
http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/danger/danger.html

The high winds and heavy snow forecast also means that avalanche risk is due to go up to 4 over many parts of the Western Alps, and possibly even 5 around Chamonix.

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/MONTAGNE?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagnebulletinneige%2FDEPT74
http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN
latest report
.... as I have just posted elsewhere the road to and from Val d'Isere is currently closed (likewise the road to and from Fornet into town).... the town council have said that this (at the moment) is just overnight. The ploughs will be on the road from first light to get it open again. Check out www.radiovaldisere.com for further info!
snow report
Thanks Harve, that is really helpful.

Harve wrote:
" I'm not quite sure what the "area of chaining of the Raye" is.

I believe (although may be wrong as my french is pretty rusty) it is a large flat area about 1/2 to 2/3 up the mountain road to Val D / Tignes where the Police will demand you pull over and fit chains if you haven't already done so (and some local traders will sell you chains out of the back of their vans for vastly inflated prices). After this point you can pretty much expect to be driving on snow and ice. The year that lots of people were put in in the Bourg school hall, we saw the Police were also turning away some 4x4s although not sure if they had snow tyres or not. If possible, put your chains on while further down the road (you will have ample opportunity as the queue may move very slowly up the hill if conditions are very bad).

It always worries me when they close the road in Val to pedestrians between the different parts of the village - reminds me of the stories about the bad avalanche accident in 1970 that killed a 39 children staying at the UCPA centre. Every time I go past the very substantial concrete 'climbing wall' outside the centre that is actually an avalanche barrier - I feel the same. Very sad.

See link here - also has video of a more recent avalanche in Le Fornet http://www.valdinet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=6445
snow report
Just had this in from a mate whose brother runs a transfer bus business in Trois Vallees

"Just spoke to bro road to val is shut, over 1m in 1850 and more to come...."
latest report
The Authorities are predicting a torrid time of it this weekend.

Crap translation courtesy of Google.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ledauphine.com%2Fenvironnement%2F2011%2F12%2F15%2Fla-neige-s-invite-sur-la-route-des-vacances
ski holidays
My brother is heading to Ischgl today, hope he makes it! Travelling today is going to be unpleasant at best.
ski holidays
Piccadilly, the road up to Ischgl is fairly major - I think they will keep that open. It's the airport that might be more tricky
snow report
Said it before, stay safe everyone, it could well be an 'interesting' journey, just expect it to be a nightmare and that way it won't be so frustrating
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy