Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The December 17th/18th Travel Disruption Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Rather than further derail the weather outlook thread, where several people are concerned about potential travel disruption this weekend, I thought I'd start a new thread, for all those people who no longer have to worry about whether there'll be snow at Christmas. Now we can worry about whether we can get to it.... and plan how to avoid the worst, more productively.

Enough wind in the Channel to disrupt ferries? Enough snow at Geneva to close the airport? It doesn't take much. Enough rain to cause landslips at some Alpine bottlenecks? (remember the day everyone arriving in Bourg St Maurice had to sleep in school halls because the road up to Tignes was closed by a landslip? or the same thing happening to the Mont Blanc Tunnel?). We all know Chambery can't always cope with even fairly mild bad weather.

I have to drive south through the San Gottardo tunnel into Italy on Thursday and back north through Fréjus at the weekend. I also live virtually at sea level and just yards from the sea, on the south coast (last night's storm deposited seaweed near the back wheels of the car on the drive).

I'll be carefully watching snow in Switzerland, Italy and France, as well as likely storm surge on the south coast. So, anyone with thoughts on any of this, or hoping to travel to the Alps this weekend and ready for a bit of "Ain't it Awful?" is welcome to join in. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Great idea for a thread Laughing
It's going to be chaos airports closed planes diverted motorways closed not enough snowploughs the wrong sort of snow etc etc
But it will be fine in France on Saturday Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will be flying into Geneva on Friday afternoon - after that it can do what it bloody well likes Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm doing Southampton - Chambery on Saturday, at the end of the day, it can't be worse than last year (touch wood).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jakejenks wrote:
I'm doing Southampton - Chambery on Saturday, at the end of the day, it can't be worse than last year (touch wood).

ooo, Chambery is usually the first airport to close in marginal weather, not so bad if you're arriving in (divert to Geneva or Lyon) but a real pig if you're flying out (sit in airport for 12 hours while they decide if they are going to fly, then organise coach to other airport).

That being said we're booked to fly into Chambery in early Jan
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm flying to Geneva Sat afternoon. I'm sure it will not be worst than our last Christmas travel by Eurostar.
Will never use Eurostar for travel .
Return travel to London delayed 3 hrs and no heating in our carriage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm well prepared and armed with the comprehensive lists helpfully added to by some wise snowheads, so I will deal with reality as, when and if it happens and if so, plan B kicks in without any drama.

Life's too short to worrying about if!

Nadenoodlee, Cool Cool and good luck to those travelling with the determination to make it happen:
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Driving via the Tunnel on Friday evening, stopover at Laon and on down to Le Grand Bornand on Saturday.
This trip last year saw us spending 3 hours sitting in deep snow on a clogged A26 Autoroute... hoping for better this time. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

stopover at Laon and on down to Le Grand Bornand on Saturday

Do they have much snow ? I know that this week's biathlon got cancelled due to lack of it

http://www.biathlon-annecy-legrandbornand.com/de/actualites/artikel/cancelation-of-the-biathlon-world-cup-annecy-le-grand-bornand.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They've got plenty now. They opened last weekend for the Saturday and Sunday - we're staying at Chinaillon so a bit higher than LGB itself. Webcams look great and with the forecast snow coming too it should be really good. Looking forward to stoking up the woodburner already.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
January three or four years ago, sat at EMA with friends for hours awaiting our flight to Geneva in high winds - the airline were not prepared to open the luggage doors because they were afraid the wind would rip them off! Then my phone rang and it was my wife to say that part of the roof had come off our house and landed in the conservatory.

Needless to say that was one trip I didn't make. Watching the news that night, saw some hair-raising footage of planes landing more or less sideways in cross-winds ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got a relative flying into GVA (via Denmark) next Wednesday, so keeping a bit of an eye on things.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flying Manchester>Grenoble on friday - I've been worrying about there not being enough snow for the last two weeks. I really don't need to start worrying aout too much snow for travel! rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecast for Grenoble is rain rain rain and 'very mild', reckon we'll be ok!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
Jakejenks wrote:

ooo, Chambery is usually the first airport to close in marginal weather, not so bad if you're arriving in (divert to Geneva or Lyon) but a real pig if you're flying out (sit in airport for 12 hours while they decide if they are going to fly, then organise coach to other airport).

That being said we're booked to fly into Chambery in early Jan

Diverted to Grenoble last year, but I was just glad to get out there with all the snow we had here. Cancelled flights, unable to get to the airport, snowed in at our house, day 1 was a write off but did it the second day.
snow report
I'm flying to Munich, then by train onto Schladming on Friday 15th, returning Tuesday 20th. Forecast is for heavy rain over Munich on Friday, so hopefully the trains won't be disrupted by snow like last year.

Despite the 3 hour delay in my journey last year, it was somewhat gratifying to see than even the super efficient Germans and Austrians were completely disrupted by severe weather conditions. Tell that to the next person who tells you that it doesn't happen on the continent.
ski holidays
Quote:

Tell that to the next person who tells you that it doesn't happen on the continent.

Too right. And the north of France is very unable to cope with snow (for the good reason that it happens rarely so hardly worth squandering the tax payers resources on vast fleets of snowploughs - as in the UK).

It doesn't take severe weather conditions to close Geneva airport. 10cms of snow can do it.

There are severe weather warnings for the UK on Friday too - some ferocious winds likely, and some snow on higher ground (hopefully, for the Scottish skiers). I should be in Italy by then, and our lodger has offered to put up the flood gates if necessary (great things, lodgers, plus he pays for our ski apartment!) so will probably go and leave the house to its own devices.

The UK is looking better for Saturday. Forecast rain/snow limits for the Alps are coming down - great news for snow on the mountains snowHead but not so good for travelling. Can't have it all ways, can we?
ski holidays
Couldn't resist a quick look at what is currently happening at sea and in the air. A lot of delays on the ferries, but unless your flying from Lands End airport planes seem to be leaving and entering UK air space pretty much on time!
snow report
pam w wrote:
There are severe weather warnings for the UK on Friday too - some ferocious winds likely, and some snow on higher ground (hopefully, for the Scottish skiers).

No need to wait until Friday for ferocious winds & heavy snow. There's been problems on and off in Scotland the last 10 days or so due to snow & wind & the current weather here is quite vicious. It could be a long night for these unfortunate lorry drivers and the situation for much of the country is deteriorating rapidly...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 13-12-11 16:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pam w wrote:
...remember the day everyone arriving in Bourg St Maurice had to sleep in school halls
Yup, remember it well. Was in Arc 1800 and had a brilliant day on the slopes in great snow and no queues Happy
snow report
I'm on the 8.40am Swiss flight from Birmingham to Zurich on Friday 16th. Fingers crossed. I'm assuming that as long as I can get to Zurich I'll have no trouble getting to Wengen on the train Smile
ski holidays
off to Egypt for some winter sun on Saturday (I lost).......
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:
...remember the day everyone arriving in Bourg St Maurice had to sleep in school halls
Yup, remember it well. Was in Arc 1800 and had a brilliant day on the slopes in great snow and no queues Happy

We were fortunate enough get a phone call on the daytime Eurostar warning of us of disruption, and then in trying to arrange accomodation that didn't involve the school halls, were extremely grateful to PG who put up our entire group of 9 in his BsM pad. God love snowHead and the whole community

We heard of busses taking 12 hours to get from Geneva, only to be stopped at the bottom, and the entire lot decanted into the gyms for a mat and a blanket. Not a great way to start a break...
snow report
Snowing in Milton Keynes at the moment (& quite windy too). Too warm to stick at the mo (although very skiddy - was glad of my winter tyres driving along the country roads earlier) but if it freezes tonight...
ski holidays
So given that Chambery Lyon and Geneva airports will all be closed which is the best airport to be delayed at or diverted to?
latest report
MazDave, snowHead snowHead snowHead See you there!!
latest report
No snow for weeks and now the big storm coming. Don't mind a delay, but want to get there on Sunday.....
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
I'm flying to Munich, then by train onto Schladming on Friday 15th, returning Tuesday 20th.

I think you need to check your travel dates, Friday is the 16th Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward, Correct. Just making sure you were paying attention...
snow report
Im driving back Saturday for a ferry crossing around the peak of the storm. Thanks for the bad news, I might have to delay the trip home for a couple of more days in the snow Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm on an 0640 flight from Gatwick to Geneva on Saturday 17th with Mark Warner, then on a coach up to La Plagne.

I am not anticipating a smooth journey, but I hope we just get there at some point. Hopefully it will just be rain at Geneva and the road to the resort will be kept clear.

I will watch this thread with interest!!
latest report
550pm friday from Heathrow to GVA for a long weekend in Montalbert

Fingers crossed for minimal disruption but maximum fresh snow on the slopes Laughing
latest report
Could those who get held up in any disruption please ensure they are well out of the way before the 23rd Toofy Grin

Please Little Angel
snow conditions
Our ferry just got cancelled, so now a 2 day delay Sad

oh look 999 posts
ski holidays
The weather is as naught:

Cyprus on strike 15th December - public sector including air traffic controllers
Greece 15th Dec public sector strike

Italian General Strike - Trenitalia 9pm 15th Dec - 9pm 16th Dec; 16th December 24 hour strike at Milan; Rome and Sicily on strike 16th; Monday 19th 8-hour general strike

FRANCE - All French airport security staff strike 16th Dec

Spain - Iberia all pilots to strike on 18th & 29th Dec
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:

The words "furniculaire", "Super U for a bucket of Cotes du Rhone", and "where's the problem?" spring to mind..... Puzzled
latest report
Good luck to everyone who is travelling. After a 2 day stay in Lyon Airport 2 years ago I can sympathise with anyone who is delayed!
latest report
carroz, When was your ferry and who with?.
latest report
Off to Les Gets on Tuesday 20th, some by car and some of us flying - but first we have daughter's wedding here in Sussex on Saturday - just not thinking about weather too much.
snow conditions
Quote:

off to Egypt for some winter sun on Saturday (I lost).......

Commiserations Sad Sad and better luck next year...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy