Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

<~<~ Cheapo Xmas Escape ( CXE11 ) ~>~>

Poster: A snowHead
Silly question, but no one's mentioned it. Have you all been following the snowfall? Lower slopes went form 20CM to 110CM (upper slopes from 80 to 200) in 3 days!!!!!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I never read snowReports Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eshroom, I don't wish to discuss it Toofy Grin lower slopes were green a couple of weeks ago

Why am I still reading this thread? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Because resistance is futile and u know it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnonReason, Alpinebud and Harvie, I do agreed with you guys. As for myself, this is only my second trip, but I did went down reds and a black last time round. Not at speed. I think the ESF instructor said I can go to level 3 next time whatever that means...

I've checked with Masterclass and the price is for goroups. 180 for 4. Christmas day is the only morning slot still available. Don't know about afternoon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swoosh, Alpinebud and Harvie. ok our requirements may be a little adrift, also it would be nice to "find your ski legs" before going straight into a lesson. so might have to dip out of this Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowReason, I used to think the same about the skilegs bit but then I learnt the counter argument Smile

I spent my first day of the season skiing, sort of socially, with a top instructor, on his first day of the season.
It was amazing: as he went through a huge list of checks and routines to get his own skilegs back, he talked about what he was doing to me and suddenly, after an hour or two, it was like I was on day 3 or 4 skill-wise.

Day one is when you show, most clearly, your errors and it's also before they've had a chance to bed themselves in and become bad-habits again. It's when a [good] instructor can do most with you.

That's the other side Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Right I am in, after staring at this thread for a week.
I am travelling from Liverpool on the early flight so SkiTigger Swoosh Fezza see you at the airport.
Looks like I missed the taxi, so getting bensbus there and back to the Hotel.

Fezza will PM you about getting to LJL from Manchester

I've booked for the Quad room so for those that I will be sharing with, I am mostly house trained, just don't add any vodka Shocked

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-12-11 17:40; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WellySki0009, one more space in the Taxi after all. You're in luck. Would you like it?

Also 3 spaces left in the taxi on the return!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eshroom yes please (will have a ski bag though)
booking bensbus back as I have early flight
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WellySki0009 wrote:
eshroom yes please (will have a ski bag though)
booking bensbus back as I have early flight

OK. Great. All booked up. See you all at the airport!

Taxi Grenoble -> Alpe D'Huez is full.

Still 3 spaces on the return trip.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went shopping for xmas presents....

and came back with these....

This cheap holiday is getting more expensive...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 20-12-11 19:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stop looking at this thread Smokin Joe Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eshroom
minkers
harvie
kabby
SnowReason

Apparently taxi leaves at 3-3.30 not 4 from Alpe D'Huez -> Grenoble. Saturday traffic and snow can cause delays so the company reckon better be safe than sorry.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Smokin Joe wrote:
Stop looking at this thread Smokin Joe Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Ditto Sad (and now there's new shiny things in it.....) nice boots snowHead
snow report
Hope your boots fit ok, I got my first pair last month. custom soles, liners and shells 'molded to my feet' but after 2 runs down the snowdome it feels like my foot is in a vice and I have to get them off! I've been back to Snow And Rock 4 times to try to sort the problem. I'll be there Friday morning to try yet again! Will be a shame if I'm in hire boots after parting with £340 for these! Sad
snow report
I tried a few pairs on, didnt like the fit at all seemed short.

These seem lovely though! Went to ellis brigham in manc, they better do or I'll be kicking off!

Gonna head to chill factor-E tomorrow to check!
snow conditions
Alpinebud, fezza, I'm not a boot expert but I hope my experience is helpful. I had trouble wearing in my custom-fitted boots (Atomic Hawx 08/09 season), took 2-3 ski weeks but it was worth sticking with it.

Firstly, and not to teach you to suck eggs if you're aware of this, but make sure your toe nails (especially big toes) are as trimmed as possible. With new boots you want them tight (just past snug). They will pack out but you need to pack them out through use. Very often so-called boot fitters in large retailers will give you boots that are 'comfortable' in the shop - guaranteed they will be too big within a week or two of skiing and keep you from developing as a skiier. Bearing in mind they should be tight, so long as there isn't pressure on your toes when you are flexing your ankle forward (pressing on your shins - knees over toes), they should be fine. (Needless to say, your toes should be touching the front of your boot when you are standing up straight.)

Alpinebud, what you described about wanting to kick off the boots is very familiar to me (windymiller and Schuss in Boots had to put up with me howling in pain and kicking off a boot here and there for a couple of days at the first sHBB a few years ago during my first ski week with the new boots - bear with the tight boots, it gets better and is a good sign that they're the correct size and will last you many happy seasons.

Think about how tightly you're doing them up too. IIRC, the main emphasis for tightness should only be on the top leg buckle and strap - everything else can be 1-finger clip'able when you're breaking in new boots.

Also, think about how thick your socks are. Thin is best, especially in new boots. I wore knee-high 100% cotton a lot or Falke Austrian Race Socks (their thinnest and the finest ski socks!) when the boots were new. Even so, I got cramp in one of my toes for the first couple of ski weeks.

Finally, wear them around the house as much as possible before the weekend to break them in that much more.

See you on Saturday night! snowHead
latest report
Thanks very much!
very similar to what the chap in the shop said! glad to hear he was speaking truth!

yeah, mine aren't comfy thats for sure!

Bring on saturday!!
snow report
flowa, Thanks for the advice and tips. I think the tightness is right as it does feel a bit to tight, the salesman told me the same as you, that if they feel right now, then they are to big. the toe area is as you say and the guy told me all about that too (sounds like he was a good one)

The issue I think is with the custom sole, the pain starts under the arch of my right foot and gets unbareable very fast, the left foot is fine. Also it only hurts when I ski, I can wear them around the house ok. The last time I went back they cut away 5mm from the arch and I went back up the slope.....No pain from the arch but now it's moved to the front! Right in the middle of the widest part of the foot, but the shop was shut by the time I got back down. I hope Friday they will trim some off the front and it will solve the problem. I'm not very impressed with my experence of the custom sole fitting. I still have the flat soles you get with the boots and think I might put them in if it carries on and see what that does.

Counting down to Saturday now!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Alpinebud wrote:
The last time I went back they cut away 5mm from the arch and I went back up the slope.....No pain from the arch but now it's moved to the front! Right in the middle of the widest part of the foot, but the shop was shut by the time I got back down. I hope Friday they will trim some off the front and it will solve the problem.

I'm afraid that issue is beyond my experience. Perhaps a helpful boot-fitter will pass by this thread and throw in their tuppence on the point? Otherwise, good luck on Friday!
snow report
fezza, Alpinebud another thing that is very important is having good ankle/calf flexibility. This will help enormously in the first few days of a holiday when ski boots(and especially new/snug ski boots) feel the most uncomfortable.
ski holidays
any tricks for improving my flexibility, aside from going back in time and doing ballet as a child and not ice hockey?
snow report
- Only stretch when you are warm. Easy to forget this one - flowa told me off or this the other day.
- Don't bounce a stretch. Keep it nice and steady and ease into the stretch.
- Take it easy. Think about your long term health.
- Keep to a routine and it is better to stretch for 5 minutes/day than for 35 minutes once a week.

Here is an article by CEM (and it may be worth giving him a call at solutions4feet in Bicester or just dropping him a PM if you are having trouble with your boots).
ski holidays
Never mind Smokin Joe, what am I doing here ?! rolling eyes
Wink Have a great time guys - oh but for offering to work ('cos they know I always have some snow time after xmas) I'd have been there in a shot.
Hopefully see some of you later:)
snow conditions
Cheers Tarq'ers, sorry you can't make it. Started that book yet?
latest report
Right paid up + two more coming along with me in the car arriving Monday/Boxing day eve if all goes to plan!!! (they should be paying up in the few hours)

Thankfully my new Passport arrives tomorrow by courier, bit of a close call that one!! Twisted Evil
snow report
Excellent!
Looks like there are 22 of us now snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Checking in from the chill factor-E
loving the boots! stiff as Kim jong -il....

22 nice!
Bring it on!!
latest report
fezza wrote:

loving the boots! stiff as Kim jong -il....

You looking for a new Korea ? wink Toofy Grin
snow report
eshroom, are there still spaces left on the return trip to Grenoble?
snow report
Just6 wrote:
eshroom, are there still spaces left on the return trip to Grenoble?

There certainly is! We have 3 spaces left, would you like me to reserve you one?
snow report
eshroom, Yes please, thanks alot.
ski holidays
Just6 wrote:
eshroom, Yes please, thanks alot.

Reserved!

2 left. Smile
snow report
geepee, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Alpinebud n Harvie, are you guys still interested in taking private lesson? I think we better to book it now.
latest report
Whats the latest on the weather out there? Is'nt there supposed to be another blowing through this weekend, were arriving monday eve
snow report
Swoosh, Go on then I'm in. I was going to wait and see once out there incase we're at totally different levels. But if you want to book something then I'm game
latest report
Cptsideways, looks cloudy with potential for a little snow on sat morning then clear and sunny from there. With any luck the avy risk will come down, they'll start to open some more of the high stuff and its playtime!!
latest report
you probably all have this webcam link already, thought I'd post it just in case Smile and today the sun comes out for the first time for a while, if I wasn't enthusiastic enough before I am now Very Happy Very Happy

http://alpedhuez.livecam360.com/signal/flash/main.php
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy