Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis....what to choose? the eternal question

Poster: A snowHead
As I'm stuck in the Uk until Thursday next, having enjoyed lots of walking at 2300m on dry rock/grass just 2 weeks ago, I'm keeping my mind off the snow I'm missing by pondering some new skis.

Still fit 52 yrs. 1.89m 95kg. Skiing 30 years now. As much off piste as possible but still some piste,moguls and last year plenty of crud.

Have coombas for the deep days that didn't happen last year. X wing furys now dying. What should I get to replace them.

Any info on:

Salamon sentinel
Movement source 2011 (quite liked last years)
Scott venture

or should I just get some Mantras

or anything else.

Decisions decisions
Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisheath, So you are looking for one ski do everything? As I normally take two pairs on ski trips..of course its a pain in the preverbial, but overall worth it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skis stay in France except when they go to Canada. 1 pair for deep deep powder days but the new ones would be for everything else. Carrying anything on easyjet is a pain in the ..... Much more fun watching people cram oversized hand luggage into the easyjet money-spinning bag gauge
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was looking at Edge & Wax's ski selector last night, and perusing the video reviews they've done and it's pretty reliable information I believe. It seems to match the other review sources I've found (though the Volkl Bridge was a bit overlooked) and though sometimes quite brief, I think you can trust them. Certainly you can get a (slightly biased "buy this, oh and this, and this is good too") feel for what each ski brings to the market/niche it's aiming for. Also the general consensus seems to be, there are currently a huge number of awesome, awesome skis available; it's kind of hard to go wrong, especially if you head all mountain and avoid ice. If you head to YouTube and search for "Edge & Wax 2012" you can find the Scott Venture video review. And others. I'd stick Atomic Theory (more main-stream but super user friendly/fun from a quick test recently), Volkl Mantra (stable, quite stiff, like to be driven hard and at your level may make you smile, ALOT) and White Dot Preachers (A few searches on here should reveal all. I tried these in a 189 and it was too big/stiff for me [that's what she said] at 5'10"/75kg but if I try a shorter pair I'll let you know how it goes. They're pretty special and mega fun by all accounts, and probably perrrfect for pow/crud and OP antics).

Also Freeskier may have some reviews that help you ; 2011 picks here -

http://youtube.com/v/5ZNbrpm0boA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ps - I slightly mis-read your post : if you already have a set of planks for the pow I'd add in Movement Le Fer, maybe Volkl RTM 80 or 84, Volkl Grizzly and tbh Volkl Bridge. Line Prophet also. There are loads of threads with K2 and Dynastar (Sultan 85s) models mentioned but for some reason none of them piqué my interest... They may for you though! Searching Sultan should find the thread(s) in question Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Voelkl Mantra, Dynastar Sultan 94, Line Prophet 90 or 98 and Atomic Theory should be on your list. If you do any touring you'd be mad to not at least consider the DPS Wailer 99...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
DPS Wailer 99...

/Drool...

Wailer 112's were fun even on hard-pack in Tignes recently on a demo. Sexy, sexy skis. Light too. Cool brand too, not sure why.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JaMMi,
Quote:

Edge & Wax's ski selector
I've never looked at that before. It's very well set out.

Have you made your choice of skis to buy yet?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JaMMi, planning on Dynafitting it up for next season (will be back in Austria full time Very Happy and needing new boots anyway), and they're top of the list ski-wise atm... Although it's a VERY close call between them and the 122s!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd suggest a Blizzard Bushwacker (88mm) to pair with those Coombas. It has a very nice price tag on (for a new model) it and performs well in just about any condition except deep powder snow. It's one of those semi-light skis, meaning that it weighs 3650 grams per pair in the 180 length.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisheath, Ski the Coombas everywhere save the money; use a carving technique on piste, inside ski edge roll first into the turn, flex the ankles maintain cuff pressure see the lines lovely. Tune the edges sharp if not a lot of snow for piste ease and show the makers name.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The coombas are great skis but they're not ideal for boilerplate, ice etc and have a huge radius. Think I can justify something a bit narrower. Have seen the video demos on edge and wax....very informative. Thanks for all the suggestions. The search goes on. Still interested to hear from anyone who's skied the ventures or the sentinels.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi chrisheath, have recently bought some Ventures but only have indoor experience on them so far. Off to the 3Vs on the 18th so can report back after Boxing day if you can wait until then.

My last skis were Movement Jams and my OH was ski testing so I thought I'd try some too, mistake as it meant I had to buy two pairs of skis after falling in love with the Ventures Toofy Grin When I first skied them I knew nothing about them, hadn't read any reviews. Initial impression was that were very easy to turn and had some great pop out of the tails. Tested them against Mantras, Line Prophet 98s, Kendos. Second impression was when I realised they were 96mm underfoot. I'd have sworn they were no more than 85mm - couldn't believe how easy they were to turn for a (to me) fat ski.

Maybe they just suit my style or maybe the new technology flatters my skiing but I was so impressed I bought some. Only downside is they aren't cheap! But I did get a good deal wink

A friend also tried them, he's a bit heavier than me and a much better skier. He was pretty impressed as well and had similar comments to me.

Obviously it's all down to personal preference but I'd certainly recommend trying them. Feel free to PM me for more info.
Gary
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
JaMMi,
Quote:

Edge & Wax's ski selector
I've never looked at that before. It's very well set out.

Have you made your choice of skis to buy yet?

Hmmm in a word, no Sad

I need to learn a bit more about resorts and which are within my means to get a gauge on whether powder will part of my ski trips/experience... I'd love to get some wider planks, and make use of them in some pow... But I'm not sure it's realistic... Though I don't see why not; life is for the living and all that! Currently the best experiences I've had were the Salomon 3Vs (incredible on piste race type banshees; really fun on hard-pack, probably really poor on deep snow ;( ) and the DPS wailer 112s.

I wanna try the Preachers in a shorter variant, and somehow, if possible, the Movement Le Fers and DPS wailer 95s (which I just saw on a video and sound pimp. Wailer 99s too)...

Also need boots ofc. I think boots will have to wait till Jan now, but are definitely on the list of stuff to buy, asap. I'll be heading to Solutions4Feet Smile 'Can't wait Very Happy

clarky999 wrote:
JaMMi, planning on Dynafitting it up for next season

Qué?! Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JaMMi, Getting into longer tours, so will be investing in dynafit bindings and a light weight ski.

Btw, it's not all about powder - 100/110mm skis are ideal for the majority of EU offpiste conditions.
ski holidays
chrisheath, If you twerp the ski any radius can be gained , twisting pressure of the quads changes the turn arc using knee angulation, but hey buy a pair of Atomic Theory voted allround ski of the year and they do it all without needing carve exponent heroics on your Coombacs: but be quick because UK is very very nearly sold out!
ski holidays
I see the phrases 'twisting pressure' and 'knee angulation' but read 'ACL injury'.

Either way, +1 for Line Prophets, although they're a bit lighter and flappier, but if you genuinely want something more all mountain then Dynastar Sultans with a more sensible waist measurement and similarly Scott Missions that I toured with last year proved unilaterally capable.
snow report
I've got a pair of Sentinels, that I've only used for four days, but might be able to provide you with a bit of info on them anyway. They were used in France, late season this year, so hardpack in the morning, slush in the afternoon.

They were my first set of "All mountain" skis, so it took me a few days to adjust to how they wanted to be skied (from 80mm underfoot Apache Recons, to 95mm and bought untested!), and at that point I wasn't particularly convinced by them. However, a few days into the trip and I really started to get the feel of them. Being aggressive into the turn worked a treat!

By the holiday I was pleased with the purchase. One day we had 10cm of fresh stuff, and the skis floated nicely and turned however I wanted them to - big GS turns were what the ski naturally wanted to do. Once the snow deteriorated they were quite a tiring ski to get down the mountain (probably lack of fitness haha!). I'm looking forward to giving them another go in Val Thorens in two weeks time.
snow conditions
All information gratefully received. Not likely to purchase anything until January. Just 4 days now until the start of my season........................ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
chrisheath, looking at your skiing experience its probably the same as mine. We like to dive off piste via the piste whenever possible and take a guide out once or twice during our trips. I went for the Zag Slap but considered the Armada TST and WhiteDot preacher- if you are looking for just one ski to do everything there are a few out there WhiteDots The One which I have never tried and Zag Big84 which is really easy to ski both on and off piste. With regard to the Movement I heard that they were a bit stiffer than others (but I can't confirm this as I haven't tried them myself) but was tempted with the Sluff.
More food for thought Puzzled snowHead
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
JaMMi, Getting into longer tours, so will be investing in dynafit bindings and a light weight ski.

Btw, it's not all about powder - 100/110mm skis are ideal for the majority of EU offpiste conditions.

Thanks for the comment about powder, good point, and re dynafits (and with a disclaimer that I didn't know what touring even meant 4 or 5 weeks ago!) - I thought you might the following helpful / interesting - I was impressed by the reviewer's commitment and attention to detail!

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/mfd-alltime-alpine-touring-binding
snow conditions
Spinout wrote:
chrisheath, looking at your skiing experience its probably the same as mine. We like to dive off piste via the piste whenever possible and take a guide out once or twice during our trips. I went for the Zag Slap but considered the Armada TST and WhiteDot preacher- if you are looking for just one ski to do everything there are a few out there WhiteDots The One which I have never tried and Zag Big84 which is really easy to ski both on and off piste. With regard to the Movement I heard that they were a bit stiffer than others (but I can't confirm this as I haven't tried them myself) but was tempted with the Sluff.
More food for thought Puzzled snowHead

I tend to need stiffer skis....95kg for them to cope with. Don't want them flapping around at the critical moment. Last year's movement source were really good (borrowed some when I broke a binding on my furys) but had no rocker. This years have. Never had skis with a rocker but Mrs CH has had her off piste transformed by some Salomon geishas this last 2 years so I thought I'd at least demo some. Will still keep the coombas for touring though..and or Whistler. Cool
snow report
chrisheath, MMmm, you might want to take a look at this thread with regards to rocker~
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1920825#1920825

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 13-12-11 15:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
chrisheath, i'm over 100kgs and design the WD skis. We like stiff skis Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy