Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
P10DW, Condor ferries, they use high speed cats, and with the bad weather often get cancelled. Can't use anyone else.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi All

Myself and 9 others are heading to Flaine on the 7th Jan

Can anyone recommend good places to get food supply's in the village or delivered direct to our accommodation as we have no transport.

We are staying at the Refuge Du Golf just outside the village.

Some travel agents say you can ski in/out others say you cannot, has anyone stayed here ? know if it is possible to ski In/Out.

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
These apartments are a long way from the main flaine centre, last year there was no ski able link.
But over the summer there appeared to be a ski access run added that links with Pierre Vacnaes.
If this is not there then they run a free bus...have aloof at the link below.

http://www.flaine.com/plan-station-ski.php?lg=EN&sn=1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
harri20000, Your accomodation is in Flaine "Hameau" outside the main village. Walkable if you're in the mood but a bit of a mission. I'm not familiar with Hameau - I think there is a small shop/ supermarket. Flaine Foret, the upper part of Flane and nearer to you than Flaine forum has a Spar and a pizza takeaway (excellent pizzas). Flaine Hameau is not ski in-ski out BUT I think you can ski to a new access chair but not ski back, you have to get the free shuttle bus.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a shop but it is massively exoensive",!!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flaine skiing is closed at the moment due to high winds, will be an interesting arrivals day tomorrow with all the snow forecast??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, looks a bit wet at the moment on the cams Sad Hoping the temps drop.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
should all be snow from late this afternoon, at least people will be able to get to resort. (only 6" at 700m between now and transfer time)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevo_the_saddler, Just had to chat to someone in the village and its raining in the village at the moment and very very windy, but he saids its getting colder by the minute and there is about a metre and a bit at the top of les carroz gondola! and we now have a boat that is going... Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carroz, snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
60cm is going to fall in the next 3 days! Here until the beginning of April..hope its a good season!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just been studying the current Flaine piste map and notice that, as well as removing the Perdrix chair so you can't get to Faust from the left hand side of the bowl, they've also removed the Balacha tows which were always a quick way up to the mid point from Foret i.e. you cannot now get up the mountain from Foret. So you have to drop down to Forum and take the DMC or the "new" 6 man chair (Tete des Verdes I mean, not the very new Desert Blanc). What the hell are the lift company playing at?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been snowing since we arrived in LC at 0800 this morning. Snow in the valley is heavier than up the hill but valley temp around 0deg with LC at around -2. Link down to Les Molliets is closed. Gron chair closed. Only way down is via Combe to telecabine or Plein Soleil then across Lou Darbes/La Forestiere/Combe although you can get the Kedeuze drag up. Did not see any chairs running in LC today. Mostly good stuff apart from bottom half of Combe where it is a bit packed. New Cannons are working along this track. Could be a fair bit of shallow powder about tomorrow if they can open it up.

The cops were out in Araches and at the bottom of the cliff road in Cluses making those without winter tyres fit their chains or socks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a great day of skiing. Went up from Morillon as tete de Saix closed. Hardly anyone around. Powder on piste and deeper powder off piste. Limited skiing for the morning as even the link to Les Carroz was shut and the Sairon chair was having a bad day. Even so the powder was superbly light. Eventually they opened the link to Carroz. Snow surprisingly poor on the way down from the Gron chair. Nevertheless we then had some fun undermeath the gondola and a couple of great powder runs down to Molliets towards the end of the day. By 4pm the conditions right down at Morillon 1100 were excellent. Below that it was certainly skiable but only on hire skis or some old rock hoppers. Has been snowing down here since we got down. Roads rapidly covering and it looks like another powder day tomorrow. This morning the lift operators were hedging their bets about what would be open today but I noted they were running the Gentianes and Airon chairs this evening which suggests some links will be open. I'd be happy staying out of the Flaine bowl as I suspect the viz there is poor. Ah well, Not a bad first day. Fresh powder, lunch in the Igloo, only 1 yard sale and then beers in Coveys and a leisurely hot tub to prepare for tomorrow. Supper beckons......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oops.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 18-12-11 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Stayed around LC today as all was open and conditions were great after yesterdays snow. Snowed pretty much all day today too, some big fat blobs, and took 10 mins to clear the car off when coming back. Very foggy up top which made it more challenging and great fun, Timalets was brill. Daresay they'll bash it tonight which will make for stunning pistes tomorrow. Likely to spread our wings tomorrow and bimble over to Morillon and perhaps a stop off at the Igloo.

Noticed that there is a new Spar in LC too, adjacent to the ticket office as you enter the lower part of the village (next to the big chalet "factory"), also has a 24/24 fuel station which had diesel at 1.34 I think.
latest report
Basil, what is the big chalet factory? Do you mean the Spar as you go through by the cinema towards the ice rink?
That one has been there a few years now. Where is the fuel station located? Cheers.
Sounds like amazing conditions once the visibility improves, enjoy the fresh.
snow conditions
ianbradders, Its not the one near the ice rink, the new spa looks really good, with les carroz first fuel place at last, drove past it today, its next to where the horses are in the summer, the first lift ticket office you get to at le lay before les carroz proper but after araches. There is a large chalet building company there

Have not been skiing as drove all night to get here after a very rough boat ride, and an audi a6 with an oil leak, not much but made all passengers feel ill when ever we stopped, which did not go down well after they were ill on boat...

powder tomorrow Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

not much but made all passengers feel ill when ever we stopped, which did not go down well after they were ill on boat...

Sad the fresh air and fresher powder will soon blow all that away.
ski holidays
ianbradders, carroz, That's the one. Pretty much the usual stuff you might expect, at the usual prices, but convenient to park and easier than running into Cluses for the odd bits and bobs.
latest report
Amazing last day and a half. Arrived saturday and on slopes by 1.30. Molietts had opened and loads of fresh powder. Today, had a brief spell when cloud broke for an hour or 2 at top of les carroz. thigh deep in places. poor visibility made rest of dy challenging as did running snow cannons on pistes down to samioens which left my goggles covered in ice.Thank goodness for the tree lined slopes of Les Carroz which at least allowed some point of reference. A very nice day!!!

Tartiflette for tea and masses of vin rouge....

Super
snow report
Flandiddly, Lucky Yow wink Laughing
snow conditions
Monday 19th

Superb day, powder all over the place, sun even made an appearance!!

Still a bit er...tired from the drive here...am i getting old??

Flaine seemed to be closed, well you could not get there from tete des saix signs across all the pistes

loads of thigh deep powder off chamois, spent most the morning around there, very light fluff.....

new skis have a few scars....ooops

on piste conditions are fantastic in les carroz, however didn't venture anywhere else and only skied down to the village via timalets, so don't know what combe is like, it has taken the pressure off gron with combe open, unlike last year. Did a few quick circuits up gron and skied down various reds and trees off them, miles better than last year...no queue!!

Saw an number of people on combe haute blue piste while going up gron, looked like early intermediates? on huge rocker skis which was a bit amusing as they were really struggling....why???

not really very busy at all

off for a steam and to rent some new legs for tomorrow..................
snow conditions
carroz, Git Twisted Evil

(sorry... just really jealous)
snow report
Now i am really excited just hope the predicted rise in temp does not last long.

Off on 7th Jan Very Happy

Thanks billB for the advice.
snow report
Off to Flaine on Christmas eve.
Anybody out there now who can tell me what piste conditions I can expect?
Thanks in advance
snow report
james75, 3 posts up, someone gave you a lovely review of how things are at the mo... As to what you can expect on Christmas Eve is anyones guess, but more of the same I guess.
latest report
Made our way to Morillon today, we love it there. Only skied the top half and had a cheeky hot choc and cream at the Igloo. Snow conditions tip top. Made our way back to LC and the sun came out lower down. Splendid day.

Quiet a few skiing down through the trees to the LC car park.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great snow in flaine, but all the links to other resorts have been closed since we arrived on saturday, and less than half the lifts and pistes have been open. This has meant some of the pistes getting a little crowded, but still no queues more than a few mins even at peak times. Great powder off piste, but guides echoing the warnings on sh about crevasses this early on, so apart from a morning with a guide I've stuck to well tracked areas close to the pistes. Not a single black run open yet in Flaine though, and I am getting a little bored with the open pistes - the snow makes up for it though. Some sun yesterday, otherwise snow and somewhat limited visibility. Cold - you'll need some face covering up top.
ski holidays
mb34, Welcome to SH Smile . Wish I was there with you, not until Feb for me snowHead And, yes, don't venture off-piste in Flaine unless with someone who knows exactly what they're doing. Hopefully, they'll open more pistes this week but the problem will be that Mephisto Superieur will not be safe enough yet which limits access to the RHS of the bowl. Also the Aup de Veran bubble lift (RHS) is damaged still I think. Also, the Diamond black chair isn't open at the moment (according to flaine.com) which means you can't lap the top part of Faust / Almandine which is a pity. Crystal and the runs next to it are always first and last to operate, it seems. Good cruisers though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
mb34, for safe (well as safe as it really gets) off piste head over towards Les Carroz, Morillon and Samoens.. no crevasses over there!
ski holidays
Tuesday 20th

another loads of snow day, was tipping down when opened curtains............

Spent all of it in les carroz, lapping gron and the gondola, snow is heavier than yesterday, but still loads and loads of it

not many people at all. trees around gron brilliant fun, still found untracked bits.

visibility was a bit dodgy at times, thank goodness for trees!!snowed on and off all day, making us rather damp at times as it was rather wet snow.

Daughter enjoyed her new K2 bad seed skis esp the orange bases that glow!! made the soft snow easy she said....
snow conditions
I'm currently in Samoens arriving yesterday and can confirm 15cm on my car so far Cool Even more on the hill :

The main square has an Indian village theme with free vin chaud, wigwams and a big effort to welcome tourists, many of whom only visit in summer. Samoens itself has snowploughs buzzing around everywhere like bees. A hockey match is scheduled for 02 Jan at 20:30 for those that enjoy a game. The village is colelctively working hard for what is hoped will be a great season. New shops and bistros' have opened and will be a treat for anyone looking for a family orinetated alpine treat.

I''ve also bought the last two packs of Leffe Biere de Noel and can confirm that it's eminently drinkable Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
carroz,
Quote:
Daughter enjoyed her new K2 bad seed skis esp the orange bases that glow!! made the soft snow easy

Salut Cool
snow report
Sounds great everyone that's there. Jealous but really looking forward to skitrip 2012. There will be lots of snow....fab. Roll on March 4. Thanks for updates.
ski holidays
oh yes something i forgot, they were running all the snow cannons last night, and were hissing everywhere today, not running at the moment, buts its not that cold outside.
snow report
Grinned so much today I fell over for the first time in many weeks. While Mrs Basil and daughter finished lunch at L'Igloo I took a cheeky run down Bergin. Excellent, but well tracked powder that got the best out of my Blackeyes. Fell on the short pitch before the Bergin chair (on the second run) cos I was being a tw@t, but hey ho. Great conditions today as carroz, said. Why go anywhere else?.
latest report
carroz, Basil, The skiing sounds great! Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
Fell Basil??? I never thought Snowheads did that;-)) I cannot wait to be flying so fast I am scared &@xx of falling but thankfully am now able to stay up... Most of the time :-0
latest report
snowmam, Falling is OK as long as its in the pursuit of greatness.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy