Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
As its 1st December tomorrow, starting the snow report thread for the Grand Massif, or maybe it should be the snowless report!!

It will get better, ...I hope.......I am there in 2 weeks and 1 day.........winter walking maybe the new winter activity??

however it could all change in 2 or 3 days, so still time yet.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah, you've started it - well done that man and I hope the weather changes for you. I'm not out there until Feb.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
January 7th for me, snow dances from now 'til then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
28th of Jan for us so hope it is nice and snowy by then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, I'm with you. Out on 17 Dec.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz, I'll be out in Samoens for a few days around then -maybe a beer? Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
end of Feb for me
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feb half term. Plenty time yet he said optimistically.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christmas Eve for us.

Should I pack walking boots or ski boots.

Crying or Very sad Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jan 14th for 10 days! One of the optimistic few that believes there WILL be snow!

Ben
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Jan 14th for 10 days! One of the optimistic few that believes there WILL be snow!

Ben E C, same here on both counts. which village are you staying at?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Staying in Les Carroz mate! What about yourself?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
well I am gambling on there being snow going to flaine on the 17th.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ben E C, Same here again. Trying Chalet Jovencau this time. Fourth time to LC itself, sixth to the GM.
Oh and welcome to SH's
OPL, Welcome to SH's, thats 17th of Dec presumably? You really need to start praying to the snow gods although it is due to start falling this weekend. You will be okay in Flaine but some of the links might be a problem.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is supposed to be a new lift this year that replaces an old slo one, anyone know where is is?
snow report
mr_big_ad, Desert Blanc, new 6 man chair replaces the old 3 man and 4 man chairs in flaine that went up to tete de pelouse area which is about where cascades starts

and if you want to see that there is basically no snow at the moment look here

http://www.webcam-hd.com/grand-massif_flaine-1600.php
snow conditions
Yeah 17th of December for me, first holiday in the snow, normally just go to Glenshee.
snow report
[quote="carroz"]mr_big_ad, Desert Blanc, new 6 man chair replaces the old 3 man and 4 man chairs in flaine that went up to tete de pelouse area which is about where cascades starts

Thats good news, we ski across from Morillon and spend 80% of our time in Flaine using those chairs as there is good off piste next to good fairly steep some blues for the less confident.
latest report
mr_big_ad, If you are off piste there early season, look out for the holes, it is not really very safe
snow report
someone said to me if you see Flaine in the summer, you dont go off piste there anymore Shocked Hopefully by the end of Feb the holes will be filled in!
snow conditions
webcam looking moody! http://www.webcam-hd.com/grand-massif_flaine-1600.php
snow report
 cran
cran
I arrived yesterday... should have bought my bike cos there's no snow...

On the plus side I'm here for 4 months so I should get a couple of weeks skiing at some point...
latest report
carroz wrote:
mr_big_ad, Desert Blanc, new 6 man chair replaces the old 3 man and 4 man chairs in flaine that went up to tete de pelouse area which is about where cascades starts

Just looked at the piste map (been out). Trouble is, although this chair will be quicker it means there's no lift now to get you to Faust from halfway up the hill i.e. whereas you could use the Col de plate chair before you now have to ski down to either thr DMC or the other "new" chair (Tete de Verds) to move right in the bowl. Previously you could keep meeting up with others sking Belzebuth / Cristal if you were skiing top half of Faust. So it still needs a replacement for the Col de Plate chair imv.
ski holidays
mr_big_ad, carroz is right. Top part of Flaine isn't the best place for off piste! The holes are huge! It you want safer off-piste, head to the Gers bowl (top of DMC and keep heading along the ridge to the left, past the Cascades turning and keep on going) - its served by a very dodgy drag lift though Happy
latest report
cran, Do you know if the Aup de Veran (Eggs ) Lift in Flaine has been repaired? I recently heard it might not be open in December if at all this season. Thanks
latest report
Very cloudy out there today, the GM could at least be getting a light dusting above 1600 this morning?

http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver/webcams.php
ski holidays
Gers hasn't been open the last couple of times I have been, would like to give it a go.
We do tend to stay fairly close to either the piste or the lifts when we do, tends to be around bealzebub from memory.
snow conditions
In Samoens at the moment. It has been raining quite heavily for past twoi days and snow is now visible on surrounding hills. A lot of snow - 50cm - forecast for Flaine over next few days. A big problem being discussed widely here is the warm ground and the fact that thiis is pretty much the first rain since July. The river is almost dry and the snow gun reservoirs are empty. Suspect this a widespread issue. Having said all that nobody is unduly worried. Am back in Samoens on Jan 3 and hoping for the best.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ian999, Thanks for the update... I noticed some snow cannons running on Friday (on the webcam pic)... maybe just testing. I think most of europe has been dry this autumn... fingers crossed it gets wetter for a few months now!
snow report
Hello all. We out 4th March and I just know there'll be snow I haven't been disappointed yet. Thanks to Carroz for fab updates. I will be checking the forum daily even tho some posts are so negative and scare me always before I go. When we get there I always am surprised.
latest report
 cran
cran
gsb wrote:
cran, Do you know if the Aup de Veran (Eggs ) Lift in Flaine has been repaired? I recently heard it might not be open in December if at all this season. Thanks

Not yet (not yesterday anyway), they have taken some of the broken bits away, but it's not repaired.

I heard that they still haven't found out why it failed and they won't repair it until they do, but I have nothing to back that up other than 'someone in the pub said it so it must be true...'
snow conditions
looking at the cams this morning (looking good) must have a go at corbalanche this year, dow it get heavinly moguled?
http://www.trinum.com/ibox/carroz/Images/arrivee/lescarroz_arrivee9.jpg
ski holidays
Friend sent me some photos from earlier today and it's all turned white in Flaine down to resort level. However, still only about 10cm, so a long way to go.

Re Aup de Veran lift, I have been told that they have removed the damaged pylon but it is difficult to see how they are going to get it repaired and running before the end of the season. Once the snow sets in it will be far more difficult to repair. Given the almost permanent queues for the Egg it is going to put a massive strain on the other lifts. Maybe they'll have to keep the Mephisto Superieur run open permanently so you can get to the top of the Egg. Does anyone know why it is closed most of the time?
ski holidays
Chris Mason, I'm sure someone will have the definitive answer about the Mephisto, but I seem to remember being told it was to do with some dodgy crevasses that needed solid snow bridges before it was safe to open.
latest report
P10DW wrote:
Chris Mason, I'm sure someone will have the definitive answer about the Mephisto, but I seem to remember being told it was to do with some dodgy crevasses that needed solid snow bridges before it was safe to open.

Yes iirc in the summer there's a deep gully with stream running across it.
snow conditions
Web cams looking a lot better today Happy
latest report
Are they switching any lifts on this weekend?
snow report
marcellus wrote:
Yes iirc in the summer there's a deep gully with stream running across it.

Presumably down in the dip? Great run and often quiet even Feb HT. Goes into shade in the afternoon like most of the RHS of the bowl (looking up) so gets quieter.
latest report
VERY white out there today, huge difference on the webcams compared to 48 hours ago. Looks like it's still hammering it down too, yey! Very Happy
ski holidays
paulio, yes - I believe so, I had an email earlier from grand-massif.com in French which confirmed I think Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy