Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
paulio, yes - I believe so, I had an email earlier from grand-massif.com in French which confirmed I think Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, yes confirmed LC are..... but it'll only be a few.... if previous years are anything to go by that means the TC, the drag on the nursery slopes and possibly one fo the chairs as you go down Timalets.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.trinum.com/ibox/carroz/Images/arrivee/lescarroz_arrivee10.jpg
a few people took a hike up this morning Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mr_big_ad, Chamois is a bit rocky, with no base underneath will be a few holes in their skis!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Press Release from the Grand Massif 08/12/2001
Recent snowfalls and the running of snow cannons will allow a partial opening of the SAMOENS ski area this Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th of December 2011.
(Please note that MORILLON and SIXT will remain closed).

Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th of December 2011
Flaine from 10 December:
Pistes : Serpentine, Axinite , Mélèze ,Epicea , Pin , Erable , Belzébuth ( haut ) , Turquoise et Faust ( bas ) sous réserve
Prices as per below:

Samoens just this weekend:
Lift and Piste openings
• Grand Massif Express gondola (from 8.50am to 4.30pm)
• Pendents button lift : Pendents & Chateau pistes
• Damoiseaux chairlift : Demoiselles piste
• Chariande Express chairlift : Marmottes, Verosse & Dahu pistes

Ticket sales
Grand Massif Express & Les Saix ticket offices will be open
• Season passes at promo prices remain on sale until 10/12/2011 from the Grand Massif Express only

Pre-season Weekend Prices
• Adult day pass 19€
• Child day pass 14€
• Senior day pass 18€
• Débutant day pass 9€ (special rate)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went last year to samoens and enjoyed it but was a little disappointed with a few bits. But i must say i loved the marmotte run
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my favorite bit of Samoens last year was also on Marmotte, near the bottom, bofore it reaches the restaurant on the left, i was skiing along, and heard aaaarrgggh, and came to a quick stop. I turned round and on the left hand side there was a skiier suspended upside-down in the orange netting like a fly in a spiders web, I could not get my camera quick enough unfortunately rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mr_big_ad, it is compulsory to take photos before helping Razz Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mephisto superieur. Unlike Serpentine, which looks like a rough road of large stones in the summer, you would struggle to identify the line of mephisto superieur. It heads off over the fissured limestone of Flaine, strewn with rock crevasses some of which would comfortably fit your car. They don't open it until the snow bridges are absolutely solid..which it makes it a good yardstick for when the rest of the high Flaine off piste is "safe". At the moment with just one dump of snow, I shall be sticking to the pistes up there..until at least a couple of freeze/thaw cycles have passed. Plenty of off piste elsewhere in the GM should be fine to do. Here's hoping for a repeat of the 2008/9 and 2009/10 seasons and not another dose of last year's poor show.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow all week apparently!! Only trouble might be storms hitting UK next friday. Would be gutted if there was loads of snow but my flight got cancelled. Leaving from Birmingham on 17th early for a quick pre christmas 5 days in Carroz. Staying with my mate whose co-running the Chalet Palane. Also looks like some rain next thursday as freezing level is high around 2000m - hopefully the good stuff won't get washed away...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Landing in Geneva on thurs 15th. Latest look at the european pressure charts, jet stream forecast, chamonix website, snow forecast, meteo france mountain forecast and anything else I can find suggests plenty of precipitation this week with the freezing level bouncing up and down the hill. Pretty much ideal early season forecast for producing a solid icy base for that perfect season I'm praying for. More to the point it looks like it will be snowing right down to the valley over the weekend. Can't wait. Update on conditions as soon as I arrive and change personality from weather-anorak to off-piste obsessive. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christmas comes early, good luck with the transfers to Flaine!
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine/6day/top
Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems to be dumping lots at the moment........... Very Happy only a few days to go......

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisheath, Out next Monday to Friday although I'm not planning to ski- maybe a copuple of half days if the jobs go well ;o) ?

Would be up for a quiet beer maybe?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loads a neige... thats what we like to see! Webcams looking good again today.
latest report
mr_big_ad wrote:
Christmas comes early, good luck with the transfers to Flaine!
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine/6day/top
Shocked

Just the tricky Col at Chatillon Laughing between me and Samoens though....thing the outback will cope without reaching for the chains
snow conditions
chrisheath, Indeed - those forecast are for 2500m... you only have to get to about 1000m I guess. This is one of the reasons I love Samoens as a resort. I also sometimes come off the Motorway at the J just after the tolls and come up through Taninges which avoids anything above 800m
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
chrisheath, Indeed - those forecast are for 2500m... you only have to get to about 1000m I guess. This is one of the reasons I love Samoens as a resort. I also sometimes come off the Motorway at the J just after the tolls and come up through Taninges which avoids anything above 800m

Save 1.7 euros and get views of Mont Blanc as you come up the Vallee Vert. Sometimes go that way but I do like the kick of coming over at Chatillon and seeing how snowy the Giffre valley is.
Looks like this weekend is going to be every bit as snowy as early december last year. I'm quietly confident this will be a much better season.... a feeling gleaned from conversations with the wise gardiens of the refuges throughout the autumn and their natural clues plus an enormous slice of blind optimism....and why not.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, chrisheath, Jivebaby,

If you bump into anybody in Samoens telling you what the "old men of the village" say about the weather ignore them!! Not sure they have got it evne vaguely right during past five years. We go on Jan 3 and haven't booked a return on the basis of trying to stay rest of season. Beers in Bar Savoie or PMU??

Ian
ski holidays
Just checked flaine.com - 75cm higher up in Flaine. The new chair is operating. Looking good snowHead
ski holidays
ian999, Nope, has to be Coveys Happy
snow report
ian999 wrote:
stevo_the_saddler, chrisheath, Jivebaby,

If you bump into anybody in Samoens telling you what the "old men of the village" say about the weather ignore them!! Not sure they have got it evne vaguely right during past five years. We go on Jan 3 and haven't booked a return on the basis of trying to stay rest of season. Beers in Bar Savoie or PMU??

Ian

My personal contacts with mountain lore got it spot on last year and the year before....... I shall reserve judgement on the utter-dangly bits-quotient of their predictions for a bit longer yet...... arriving for the first of many trips on jan 4th. happy to meet in the bar savoie or coveys. Also have developed ataste for the edelweiss in the bar de samoens even if it is a bit scruffy and retro. PMU?? What's that. NB 1 metre to fall before saturday rolling eyes
ski holidays
You live and learn. Snowheads is politically correct and has substituted dangley-bits (disastrous spelling by the way) for the word I actually typed....
snow report
chrisheath, PMU is as you walk away from the square past Bar Savoie on RHS, past pizza takeaway and it's there on the left... you can buy your Lotto tickets at the same time, often does cheap food... not really a geared for tourists imo but means the prices aren't rip off city!
snow conditions
marcellus wrote:
chrisheath, PMU is as you walk away from the square past Bar Savoie on RHS, past pizza takeaway and it's there on the left... you can buy your Lotto tickets at the same time, often does cheap food... not really a geared for tourists imo but means the prices aren't rip off city!

Still can't picture it. Walk past bar savoie on my right... do you mean towards the Monde a l'enverse or are we talking about walking past the Louisiane pizza joint ..isn't that the guanacao bar.
ski holidays
Past the Louisiane... Looks a grotty little bar on a corner, TVs hanging on the walls!
snow report
Marcellus - I fear you are getting two squares mixed up. PMU is on right hand side as you walk away from Bar Savoie towards Le Monde d'envers just as the car park starts. Pizza place is on the other square. PMU also now has a slightly daft new name (as well as PMU) as new people took it over last year. Its owned by the father of Coralie who last year took over Le Monde d'Envers with Boogie former chef of Bois de Lune - highly recommended. PMU is plain and simple and not for all occasions but is a good place to meet the locals and is better value. However I am happy to go to any bar in Samoens really!
snow report
I know the place... might have to make a visit. My first trip is 15-19th Jan with friends, back out at half term with family and often looking for someone to have a beer with after I have put them (wife and kids) to bed Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ian999 wrote:
Marcellus - I fear you are getting two squares mixed up. PMU is on right hand side as you walk away from Bar Savoie towards Le Monde d'envers just as the car park starts. Pizza place is on the other square. PMU also now has a slightly daft new name (as well as PMU) as new people took it over last year. Its owned by the father of Coralie who last year took over Le Monde d'Envers with Boogie former chef of Bois de Lune - highly recommended. PMU is plain and simple and not for all occasions but is a good place to meet the locals and is better value. However I am happy to go to any bar in Samoens really!

Cafe de la Poste I think it's called now. Fell foul of a dodgy moule there a few years ago..haven't been back......strange that. Still, as you say, under new management so will give it a whirl if cheap beer involved. I agree about Le Monde. Had a great meal in there in October. Likewise happy to visit any bar. As I've said...there this weekend....and from jan 4th and sundry other visits until late March.
snow conditions
Looking good now! We are there for the New Year week, last minute decision Very Happy

Can anyone advise the likely lift closing times at this time please? Thanks!
snow conditions
sarah, Don't know for sure, but I would have thought about 4:30 or 4:45 for the main chairs around the resorts... some of the further afield ones a little earlier.
snow report
chrisheath,

Its sillier than Cafe de la Poste. So sill that I cant remember it so I had better shut up about it. I'm good to meet from 4th jan onwards. Maybe see you all in Jan. Ian
ski holidays
ian999 wrote:
chrisheath,

Its sillier than Cafe de la Poste. So sill that I cant remember it so I had better shut up about it. I'm good to meet from 4th jan onwards. Maybe see you all in Jan. Ian

Won't get that round in just yet. Happy to send nauseating photos of deep powder this weekend to any who desire them.
latest report
Been precipitating all day today - more solidly around 1800metres but as it is extremely cold have high hopes for more snow to be lying in Les Carroz village tomorrow morning (Thursday). Ski Schools doing good business already for next week starting Monday morning (tho private lessons being given over the weekend of course).
latest report
snowheadvirgin, Good to hear, thanks for the update.
ski holidays
Hopefully we will get there sunday now as the boat just got cancelled...grrr
ski holidays
carroz wrote:
Hopefully we will get there sunday now as the boat just got cancelled...grrr

That'll be the bad weather then. Toofy Grin

Glad to see some proper snow though, roll on January. snowHead
snow report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
sarah, Don't know for sure, but I would have thought about 4:30 or 4:45 for the main chairs around the resorts... some of the further afield ones a little earlier.

Thanks. One of the ski schools has offered me lessons for my son 2.45 - 5.15, I thought that sounded a bit late tbh.
ski holidays
carroz, What ferry do you use that only runs every couple of days?
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Are they switching any lifts on this weekend?

Lifts will be working this weekend according to the web site J2Ski.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy