Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Wednesday 21st

as Basil, said I said!! "why go anywhere else"

Another excellent day, bouts of snow all day, snowing now. still finding reasonable untracked stuff in places, discovered that my new skis are not just good, they are superb off piste....and not a rocker in sight...........had a ball of a day!!

Stayed in les carroz again, just doing gron and the trees, and occasional blast down timalets (plus the ungroomed red from top of gron go left, was very untracked)

They have started grooming some of the black under gron, never groomed it before,which is a bit of a pain as now more people on it (not really a black it used to be red)

Had to come down combe at end of day as everything was shut (now that is odd for me usually finish earlier), last pitch is a bit thin, other than that heaps of snow.

Busier this afternoon than any other day, but still no queues at all

Another day tomorrow...oh what a chore will have to ski in this powder stuff again......... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Repeat today of yesterday but was pfaffing about with my new head cam, an Action Cam 3, which I had for my birthday. The light was pretty poor and what with the snow the images were a bit gloomy but still watchable. Possibly some sun tomorrow so I'll have another go.

For those that know/use it the Ski Clinic has moved to larger premises with better parking. If you turn left out of the old one, back towards Cluses, then turn left at the lights then immediately right and there you are. Its on that junction adjacent/opposite the fire station.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks billb, and you are spot on with all you said about lifts and pistes. Grand Vans was open today and missus took the morning off, so took marcellus advice and headed over to carroz - much more fun unaccompanied, lots of accessible off piste, more variety, better visibility too. Then skiied under the tete des verds lift on the way back to meet the family, good fun too. Snowed all day again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mb34, When the Flaine bowl is fully open I think it's the best place in the GM but don't tell carroz wink However, it's still good to visit the other systems, especially Samoens. In many trips to Flaine (where I'm always based) I've yet to ski into Morillon (but will eventually). Have fun snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basil, How do you rate the Action Cam 3 ? I've been looking for something like that for ages - I usually take my hand-held camcorder with me which can be a bit of a pain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz wrote:
Wednesday 21st
They have started grooming some of the black under gron, never groomed it before,which is a bit of a pain as now more people on it (not really a black it used to be red)

mmm I'm pretty sure that they usually to give ity a bash or two at this time of year so that it compacts the base for the rest of the season and then within a little while the moguls will start to appear!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, they had bashed it again last night, was rather fun today with all the duff visibility, daughter kept wanting to go back to it.............

Thursday 22nd

Oh how the weather changes everything......got very warm overnight, and rained off and on this morning. Snow is now spring like, and off piste is a bit heavy. Timalets was in excellent condition, really grippy. Combe is showing a bit of wear with patches of brown snow. got over to morillon, sairon was a soft cruise, found some nice if heavy untracked stuff over there.

They shut the narrow tree run from top of les carroz gondola heading towards gentianes chair lift, didn't ask why, perhaps snow fallling off trees as heaps was falling off??

seems to be getting warmer and warmer this afternoon.

Lots more people as well, queued a bit for sairon. but still not really busy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thats it my 6 days are over and i'm off home for christmas.. today was mild, went to flaine but still real visability issues so came back to carroz, my big fat movement goliath sluffs loved the slushy on piste conditions so could go hard, off piste heavy and a pain in the bum and my legs have packed in. been amazing, see you next time Grand massiff and thanks to all snowheads for upto date useful info...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, too warm today, so the snow has become quite heavy. Still fun off piste, but no more powder. On the plus side my guide ws telling me it will stop the base from blowing off, so probably good news for the rest of the season. He also said they had planned to dynamite the ridge around mephisto by helicopter today, but poor vis meant they couldn't. Apparently the Aup de Verans lift is out until at least feb too. Last day tomorrow Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
icicle, Was bought as a present for my birthday a couple of months ago. It is not the HD version so was about £50 I expect. I've not used it in fine weather but an overcast day does give a gloomy image but it isn't too bad. OK for reviewing a days skiing but not that good for say You Tube. Better lighting may make a greater difference. I stuck mine to my helmet using the Velcro patch which works fine but you will need to mess about with the angles to suit what you are filming. Easy to operate and takes a 32GB card ok. OK for a bit of fun for the money before committing to something more expensive.

We are off tomorrow too, will grab a couple of hours early on but will be down the mountain by midday. May well be at the Igloo around 1000 for a final brew, me and Mrs Basil, if anybody fancies saying hello. Fat bloke in a black outfit.

Other than that we'll be out again at 1/2 term.

Merry Christmas all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Basil, Have a good trip back,........... we are here at half term as well, staying in a tiny micro studio (with no web access, still trying to work out the cheapest method??) as our place is let out.

Its thawing like a rocket here down in les carroz.......streams running down the road.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carroz, Thanks for the good wishes, think we have been particularly lucky this week. Perhaps a meet at 1/2 term?.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz wrote:

Its thawing like a rocket here down in les carroz.......streams running down the road.

Arghh! Daft weather. Very mild here (UK I mean) today. At least there's plenty of depth in the GM.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil, I've spotted the HD version on Amazon (at a reduced price - and only one-click away). The quality doesn't have to be broadcast standard for YouTube - VGA is usually good enough. My (Panasonic) camcorder is crap in poor light but on a nice sunny day and virgin-white snow its great! Maybe you could upload something for everyone to see? You know you want to wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh dear! Very warm at home here 12 degrees after dark big change from this time last year when it was minus 10 and snow snow snow? This is midlands Ireland. Hopefully snow will hold til March wink
ski holidays
Friday 23rd December

Hard and marbles would describe les carroz pistes this morning, went out on the piste skis with daughter on her salomon sl 3v so it was bash pistes all day.

Went to flaine, tete des saix easily had the best snow we did today, and pleased we got delayed for a while going around on the lifts there chamois was very excellent, the red facing vernant lift was very soft and mogully as it faces south, which was fun.

Then flaine, which was busy, and rather hard pistes, i mean ok, but hard. Lots of snow however. One side with the gondola is effectively closed, did faust once, it was ok, busy, and then decided to go back to tete des saix, played on chamois and the red into samoens for a bit, then back to les carroz, and the soft black under gron. Timalets a few times, and home.

In flaine diamant noir chair was shut, so only way up was DMC, and les carroz gentaines was closed, so l'airon chair was rather busy.

Snow is holding up well, few brown patches in the sun and the odd rock, but generally very good. North facing stuff still has good powder (did a bit off the top of the grand vans....interesting on 65mm waist 165cm skis! lots of bouncing about!!)

It felt alot colder today than yesterday, and the melting had stopped this morning, all the snow has gone off the trees however and pistes were getting very soft in the sun, out of the sun were still hard
ski holidays
Yes, much colder today. After the warm day yesterday the lower pistes in flaine are getting very hard indeed, but the snow is holding up ok. The movement sources I hired were really struggling to hold an edge, despite being surprisingly good high speed carvers. Best skiing today off the top of tete des saix, as carroz says, but did have a fun run down lanche as well - despite the flattish middle section being horrible, heavy with a thick crust. The helicopters were out dynamiting the right of the flaine bowl, so hope they'll open that soon. Too late for me though, we're off tomorrow. I did like the area though - first visit - so will be back.nthanks again to all for the tips.
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes, much colder today.

gosh - was baking hot here in Les Saisies, hotter than yesterday I'd say, though maybe because of the sun. People sitting round in the sun in T shirts in the cafés. Water running down the roads. Lots of snow still left on the trees, too, though nothing like as much as there was after those snowy days. We're not far from the GM. it's surprising it's so different.
ski holidays
Just looked out the window at P & V and it snowed again last night a good few inches.
ski holidays
Saturday christmas eve

Woke up to quite a bit of new powder snow, and it kept snowing during most of the morning and just had the most fantastic day skiing with my daughter. All of a sudden something has clicked today and she was skiing brilliantly....maybe its those new k2 skis

Stayed in les carroz, off piste and on piste around gron lift (again) and through trees to base (plus timalets occasionally as well!! well half of it with lots of races today) Off piste is a bit crusty underneath, but a far amount of fresh on top. Was alot colder today, infact very cold with the wind at the start of the day.

Snow has refreshed everything, pistes are in excellent condition, off piste is fine, if you can cope with crusty tracks underneath.

Very very few people, had some pistes to ourselves early.

Hoards seem to be arriving however Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Very envious as we arrived back home late last night. Hope those of you that are in GM this holiday have a great one and conditions remain as good as they were the past week.

Merry Christmas all and a powdery New Year.

Roll on 1/2 term.
snow report
Basil, cheers for your input, helps me count down the days.
Have a great christmas and i will try not to ski on too much of your snow in Jan so its okay for Feb. Razz
snow conditions
ianbradders, Hope you have a good'un, keep us updated.
snow report
Christmas Day

well Basil, conditions are still really good, and rather cold.....may be able to meet at half term but daughter may be doing competition training so not sure what we are doing exactly yet........

Started early (ish) really quiet, no idea why very odd........everything well groomed and in les carroz nice and soft, took piste skis out with daughter as she is in class next week, so she was on her new SL things, and good thing we did as had to move bindings forward.

Black under gron groomed again, excellent fun, chamois was in brilliant condition, as were all the pistes we did, went to morillon, snow alot harder there and met our first lift queue on sairon. Snow cannons going in morillon. Bergin was ungroomed, so a minor bump fest in places.

Did a bit of off piste off chamois on my 65mm waisted SL skis......still nice and light powder.........wanted to do more

lots of man made stuff in piles on way down to molliets, and on timalets.

Noticable the number of people out of control going too quick today........and the helicopter a number of times.....

Happy Christmas all Very Happy
ski holidays
Boxing day

Excellent warm day, found some stunning snow off piste (and the odd rock...oooops again)

went to flaine, very busy, right hand side of bowl open, off piste to top gondola station and then some really superb powder under the gondola line down. Apparently there is a new cable fitted to it, so perhaps open Feb.

I was very warm today, but snow was in good soft condition all day, les carroz noticably less busy than flaine.

stopped at 2.30 as i was a bit tired.......

Very Happy
snow report
carroz wrote:
Boxing day

went to flaine, very busy, right hand side of bowl open, off piste to top gondola station and then some really superb powder under the gondola line down. Apparently there is a new cable fitted to it, so perhaps open Feb.

Very Happy

Thank goodness for that - about time it opened up. Thanks for all the updates. Smile
ski holidays
27th December

Has got very very busy, with long lift queues.

nice and sunny, timalets has got a little slick from traffic, and is rather soft at the top in the sun with a few stones after last restaurant on right.

But overall still all very good, and lots more due on thursday and in particular Friday.

Went to Gers.....fantastic powder snow as it has only opened today? Huge huge queue for drag at the base prob 45 mins queue.

Under vernant lift is still fine and little couloir under lift has some fine powder snow

Main bowl opposite vernant is in the sun, and was bullet proof this morning, my teeth nearly fell out.

Black under gron groomed again, seems to be done every day, so no moguls, but the one going down direct from the gondola however still has some nice if icy ones.

Only drawback is loads of people, and some really poor skiers etc really going stupidly quick, got slammed into the back of while waiting in a lift queue for corbalanche, he thought it was very funny................

apart from that a really good day
snow report
28th December

Oh what a day...went straight to Gers, and had a fantastic time in brilliant snow, still powder to be found in bowl, no queue this time.

Snow is still in excellent condition, really really busy on piste, not much fun on piste really, just too many people.

Its avoiding collisions much of the time.

loads of snow due in next 3 days according to flaine.....99cm!!!

Traffic jam through town is enormous, there are cars everywhere and people.

got to go and wax a pair of skis............
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, Thanks for the updates... Two weeks on Sunday and counting...
snow report
Second what carroz says about busy! We are in samoens and we don't think we have ever seen anywhere so busy and that's with a lot of skiing various places at new year, half term and Easter. The pistes in the samoens sector are hideously crowded with lots of poor out of control skiers. Lift queues bad over 20 mins at times, restaurant/bar service the same Sad

Parking is also a nightmare, we have been driving up to 1600 instead.

Snow cover and quality generally very very good, weather past two days been superb Very Happy Murky today and got bad toes so had the morning off, looks to be clearing though.

When will the crowds go? Sat? Sun? Am hoping for at least one quiet day at the weekend.
snow report
Two weeks friday and soo looking forward to a week in samoens and playing in the grand massif ;0) conditions sound great and much better than last year Toofy Grin
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, two weeks saturday for us. That is as long as the youngest's passport arrives in time Sad
snow report
Has anyone got any recent piccys?
snow report
Any tips for cascades? ive heard its a little flat at the top in flaine, and as im a boarder may have a few issues, so may do this one early on when the wax on the board is nice a fresh so the two skiiers with me done take the p*ss too much haha ;0)

Ive done serpantine from the top of Les Grandes Platieres last year and found the start a little slow for boarders but carrying speed is the key on this one. Im sure cascades is a similar story at the top.
latest report
bling1981, Is it open? Not often open this early. Cascades is a rare novelty.. has to be done once. Suspect that if you do it on a snowboard, you won't want to do it again. The top part has loads of polling. I believe you can miss a load of this out by going into the Gers bowl, then joining cascades further down, but I have never tried that yet.

Good luck Happy
snow conditions
Thanks Stevo, Ill have to check it in that case see if its open, actually thinking i may cross the fingers that its not open, or maybe hire some planks for the day we do it, oh god ten years since ive skied....should be fun ;0)

just checked and its currently closed, I guess because its so dam long and needs a lot of work.....oneday ill do it ;0)
ski holidays
bling1981, Its very avalanche/rock fall prone, thats why it's rarely open.
snow report
Thursday 29th

Rather foggy day, so spent it all in trees in les carroz, snow was excellent, tips of skis have a few scars from hitting the odd tree, I am a bit rubbish in trees!!! oooops.......... i suppose practice makes perfect........

falling snow this morning has refreshed everything.

on piste it looks busy busy busy, too many people as sarah, mentioned, didn't do many pistes today however

There was even a queue for the gondola in les carroz at 1.00pm (usually nothing)

The queue for the little drag next to les arelles had a queue half way up the piste at 2.30 when my legs cried enough

hopefully snow tomorrow will make them stay in bed!!

bling1981, Cascades was shut yesterday as shut sign was there at the bottom of gers for the link run. The gers drag is interesting on a board, a boarder in front of me on wednesday demolished the fence and signs etc at one of the corners, then did a head plant......
latest report
This talk of hideously crowded pistes and restaurants, nowhere to park etc rather makes a mockery of all that gloom and doom a few weeks ago, about how everyone had cancelled their holidays......
ski holidays
bling1981, Cascades will be a struggle on a board, well the top half anyway, but if you want to get away from the madding crowd it's worth it. I intend to do it every time I go and it's usually been open at least one day (in Feb). Good for a mixed group although can be a bit hairy at the bottom for an early intermediate.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy