Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Alastair wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

In local news I heard that a 60 year old Brit did us proud out here yesterday - getting so drunk that he was picked up at the end of the day down here in La Daille by the authorities as he was unable to communicate where he lived or anything - oh dear a good reflection on the Brits - doh!

Clearly following the example set by the mayor.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy New Year

It was a complete re-run this morning of yesterday morning with the timings and schedule etc and me getting Ben to creche and then onto the meeting point... it all went just fine. The kids were raring to go so today was the day to get them down the Face... there was possible slight hiccup in the plan in that the family wanted to head to Val Claret for hot choc stop... this in itself would take quite a while but the problem would be that I needed to get up the Bellevarde mountain not once but twice on a bust school hols morning - arghhhh that could be a problem!

Anyway it turned out not to be a problem as we started with a run down a deserted Fountain Froide for a warm up before dropping onto the Face... it was in the best possible condition - perfect snow, no-one on it etc... At the bottom the queue for the Olympic was actually not too bad and we were soon on our way over towards Tignes... I even found time to fit in a go at twirly birds en route!

Hot choc was taken outside in the sun it is once again nice and warm before we headed back towards Val with a trip through the jump park...

Not once but twice today I also skied (to get away from the crowds with my lessons) a Mont Blanc piste - I really only ever take that run about twice a season so 2 times in one day is surely a record (once in both the am and pm!)

Anyway back to this am... we had time to do a lap on the Rogoney lift - it was doubly worth it as I found in the snow a USB Apple cable - bonus!

Again lunch in the sunshine at the bottom of the Olympique before meeting my pm lesson.

The plan with 'R' for this afternoon was to sort out his rotational separation as well as working on his carving.... he has this new 'Carv' app and sensor system so we played around with that - quite interesting things really can be seen... it was only right at the end when it got chilly that we headed down - that sun heading behind the mountains makes things feel so much colder - brrrr!

I picked up Olivia from the kids club then it was home to a quiet evening and now an early night - have never been a fan of New Year and being in the middle of school holidays it is 'just another night'.

Anyway TTFN

P.S. Interesting stats out today...

Nov 2018: 13cm snow fell officially
Dec 2018: 172cm snow fell

Nov 2019: 170cm snow fell
Dec 2019: 241cm snow fell

Thats over 4m so far this Winter - typically half our annual snow fall amount - looking good!

Another reason to obey signs and not duck the ropes - another (several actually) 'brown frows' hanging and waiting to drop above the Santons piste... thanks to Snow Trax for this piccie

Couldnt believe how many sweets appeared from his pocket this morning!!!

That wind was brutal the other week as can be seen under the top of the Borsat lift!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy New Year Steve to you and the family.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happy New Year Steve, Claire and family. Won't be out this season due to a fractured ankle. Mark and Marina
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Happy New Year and Decade,

great pic of Santons. Makes Epaule du Charvet look quite steep. With those moguls it would be a quad burner. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having skied and Telemarked round EK for the past 20 odd years I never considered why Santons was closed off nearly every time!

Thanks Steve for the education , and Happy New Year!
Nick

Ps. Just chuckling to myself, first snowboarding trip for a couple of friends, I let them do the guiding, crusing down Santons when one of them says

"wow, I thought a black run would be more scary"

Santons was closed and we were on the path leading into the top of the EdC, we were past the point of no return. I can confirm that massive moguls are pretty hard work in telemark, day 3 of snowboarding for the lads was a longer challenge! The look on their faces as we came round the last corner and the village is
Straight down!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@La paix,

Yes Santons is often closed because of the danger of avalanche from the steep sides. Similarly Piste L is often closed for the same reason.

About 2 years ago when Santons was closed a group entered the piste from the side and were buried.

I believe Santons has been upgraded from a blue to red run. I haven't checked the piste map in a few years.

@PeakyB,

The lower part of Epaule du Charvet is very steep. The start of the run from the bottom of the Fontaine Froide lift tarts as a gentle slope and then drops steeply. Aptly named it is shaped like a "Shoulder".

The easiest black run in the EK is The Face because they usually piste it every night. There are other challenging black runs in the EK because they don't piste them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@welshflyer, yes I’d never dream of dodging the closed netting on Santons.

Strangely I’ve always found the less steep approach at the top of Epaule du Charvet more disconcerting than the steeper parts. Never fathomed why.

But I love the steeper parts, even when average sized moguls on it. Then you reach the point whilst still on the steep section where you just have to tuck into a schuss. Hold on tight as the path veers left, or face a long pole before the path back to Val D centre starts to go downhill again.

I think the Face is relatively easy some times of day in some conditions. Not so in the afternoon on a cold day, if it turns icy.

Both these blacks pale into insignificance for me compared with Foret, which is a proper challenge.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks lynnecha and PeakyB
mpurser2 - oh no your kidding me - what a shame... will have to have double beers next season at the Rosee to make up! Get well soon - best wishes to all of you and Mish!
La paix - thanks and glad could educate... love that comment from your friend!
welshflyer - yup your right there... scary what 'could' happen on those pistes! It has been uprated to a red now your right! Yes the Face is probably the easiest black out there - just long and at days end is not ideal thats for sure!
PeakyB - yea I think Foret is one of the harder blacks in resort - Marmottons for me is the toughest overall if not pisted for months on end it is a LONG mogul field!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmmmm not how I planned it

It has turned into a very strange day indeed.

I went to bed (well actually I dozed off on the sofa) and woke up in the early hours... I had made it to 2020... Those who know me I will gladly tell you that it is actually New Years DAY that I look forward to more than New Years Eve (its over rated NYE!).

Anyway as soon as I checked my phone this morning I had a little shock as I had assumed that I would not be teaching this morning as there had been a little bit of fiddling about on the planner that meant I was not down to teach this morning BUT it was not to be. The message from a college had said to call him as he had decked himself last night - NYE high jinks by the sounds of things. Anyway cutting a long story short I had to take over his booking (it was last of a multi day full day booking) and since I was booked this pm I could only do this morning.

So it was a mad dash to get sorted as I had not done everything I should have done last night to prepare for this am - whoops!

Anyway I dropped Ben at creche and that is when the first issue of the day started.... no sandwiches for me to buy at the Sun Bar - so a couple of bananas and a cookie were purchased instead - yea I know hardly a decent lunch but hey ho didnt have any other options!

The clients ended up being about 30 mins late but I ended up with 3 lovely sisters circa 10 years old give or take a couple of years. We headed the Fornet way and it was a little colder up there but we had a lovely morning... a trip through the Foret piste as well as twirly birds were on the agenda.

There was a minor disaster when two of the sisters bumped into each other and we had a blood and a nose bleed everywhere... a lovely couple of young english girls happened to be passing at the same moment the pile up happened and immediately and kindly got out some paper napkins to help.... doh!

I accompanied the girls and their parents to lunch and we had a lovely but rushed lunch at the peau du vache.... I dont get there very often but it was LOVELY as a treat - thanks folks! I heard from another colleague who was also on the same booking that the business has changed hands this year apparently!!! Anyway it was still lovely - bravo

I dashed for my pm lesson and H and I had a fun afternoon skiing together.... amongst other things we took on the Face and the Lost Valley / Vallee Perdu / Piste Perdu - whatever you want to call it (it was in brilliant conditions actually)....

It was a good afternoon.

At the end of the lesson I had just 45 mins to get to the creche on foot, get Ben and bring him back to the rond pont des piste. There Clare met me having just finished her lesson to take him and Olivia home.... whilst I headed to the Olympic to get up and wait our turn to do the descent for the TorchLite... I soon discovered that the bananas that I had purchased earlier in the day had gone to mush in my rucksack - doh not ideal!

After the descent, which was a good one but for the first time we used LED lights rather than the phosphorus ones, I headed home.

It has been an interesting day thats for sure.

TTFN

My colleagues morning meet up at the meet point

The lost valley was in great condition today - plenty of snow in it.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

PeakyB - yea I think Foret is one of the harder blacks in resort - Marmottons for me is the toughest overall if not pisted for months on end it is a LONG mogul field!

Think I've only 'done' Marmottons twice and recall picking my way through the tops of bushes sticking through the snow. Don't remember it feeling as scary as Foret can be though. But it tests out the leg muscles for sure.
Hard to resist double or triple loops around Arcelle, rather than faff about on Marmottons!

You seem to use Sun Bar for lunch quite a lot. Haven't been in for 3 or 4 seasons, has it changed much? Good place to sit out and watch people enjoying the Face.
snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steve Angus,

Happy New Year the weather there looks lovely and sunny.

I realise your banana lunch was unplanned but to stop it making a soggy mess in your rucksack carry spare polythene bags to put it in or use a "banana guard".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Banana-Protector-Carrier-Camping-Yellow/dp/B0094AJC5G/ref=asc_df_B0094AJC5G/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=351929604913&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5713861355098269076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045800&hvtargid=pla-306395156071&psc=1
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, don’t see many takers on marmattons , am with you would rather lap arcelle . Used the sun bar once never again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure if you would classify it as a black, but I always enjoy starting off down the black Sache run which has a nice remote 'off piste' feel to it then cutting off on the red traverse which joins up with the easy runs down to Brevières.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@john2, Sache was certainly graded black for many years. Like many such pistes, difficulty depends much on conditions and how long since it last saw a piste basher. snowHead
snow conditions
PeakyB - yea Arcelle is darn good. One of my favourites! When I say I 'eat at Sun Bar' - I mean the seating area underneath it - dont actually eat in the Sun Bar that often. It did change a few seasons ago and has had a refresh inside and outside!
welshflyer - it is nice yes! Could do with more snow now though! Yes seen those case things - wouldnt normally carry a banana in my rucksack though! Thanks!
john2 - depends on when you catch the Sache as can be horrendous!

Awful timing

The day start with our bedroom door flying open and the lights coming on full beam - oh yea Ben has worked out how to get out of his cot - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So the day started early to put it mildly!

I took Ben to creche then to the meeting point to meet the usuals... everyone was raring to go and being their penultimate day I decided to let the kids have a 'chose' day... whilst mixing it up with some technique. We went for the two chairlifts up option which can be a good choice sometimes as this am and then headed straight over to the Grand Pre for a lap on the skier cross and then it was a run through the fun run followed by croc alley, hot choc at Marmottes restaurant and then after that the kids were ready for a lap through the Lost Valley (if I hadn't done it yesterday then it would have been out of my thoughts!). By the time we got to the end of the lesson they were rather knackered.

It was colder this morning with a breeze making it feel colder and in the shade, much colder. However as soon as the sun got going it felt pretty warm again!

I took lunch again in the sun by the Sun Bar and then it was the pm session and Richard again. We worked on moguls and lapped quite a few times around on the Tommeuse - and what progress he made - his stamina was intense but he did so well - bravo!

After skiing it was action stations in an hour I had to:

1) collect Olivia from the village
2) take her on the bus to the creche
3) collect Ben
4) get them both home

.... whilst carrying my ski stuff and the sledge to pull Ben along with!

5) get my outer layers off
6) grab a lift with a colleague to Tignes les Boisses for our annual SAF heli training....

BLIMEY it was a rush but I just about did it!

So as soon as I got back in, it was time for kids bath and bed time (well the bath bit went by the wayside).

Again it has gotten to this time and I am looking forward to sleep time!

Last real day of school hols tomorrow and then whilst Clare works this weekend I will be on daddy day care... better get some rest then next week with less people in town it should be less hectic work wise!

TTFN

A collage of 3 of my photos I took over the last 24 hours.

The Marmottes (and the Cascades for that matter) restaurant offers such great value for money doesn't it!

Prize (well a pat on the back) for the name of the couloir, spotting the skiers and also the name of the lift Im on when I took this photo!

Caption time... I'm going for "Ill look up the instructions on the internet." "Wait I can see my keys inside." and "...look over ere theres a jimmy I can use"
snow report
Combe Folle lift? Skiers hiding behind the avalanche thingy near the top of the photo.
snow report
Love reading this thread guys. It’s been nearly 30 years since I was last in l’espace Killy but only a couple of weeks until I’m back there again. Can’t wait!
CW
snow report
Up and over chair fornet to solaize or as my wife calls it “the scare chair”
ski holidays

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-10-20 7:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,
Banane couloir? Above the top avalanche barrier. Loyes Express?
latest report
@Kenzie, Ditto
snow report
Mogmogmog is the winner... yes the Loyes Express above the Face and Kenzie I call it the Clochetons couloir but the Banane I suppose it might be.

Not again

Oh yes the door burst open and the light came on again at about 0500 this am as Ben woke us all up - the door gate is on the way - yay! So that was a (not so) nice start to the day!

The normal process for the morning started us off and again it was another lovely sunny day!

Being the last day with the kids the decision that it was an all request Friday! So a trip through the park, some tricks, a little technique and the skier cross course were all on the menu!

During my lunch hour I checked our post boxes in town (thankfully my new passport arrived today - phew - as I need to head back to the UK for a week from next weekend so will be needing it!). I then met my afternoon team - new people, 3 teens from Oxfordshire who needed some assessment and filming done for their GCSE skiing... BLIMEY they have screwed up what used to be a simple and 'nice' job. So now there is different criteria from different examining boards and all sorts - it seems like quite a mess actually IMO.

Anyway we got through the filming and all the boring bits out the way then we had some fun and apart from tweaking their skiing we did some fun stuff that teen boys love - backwards parallel turns, grabs and all sorts.

One thing that struck me this afternoon was (and I have had this thought a fair few times in this and many other holiday periods recently) that there are getting lesser and lesser decent skiers and boarders on the mountains... all the older conventions of skill are totally lost... I know I have said this before but really for every 100 people on the hill I barely see anyone who really has much skill - call me old fashioned or whatever but it is bonkers! The other thing, and again today was another example, was that to get better you have to put more and more effort in... some times you are asked a question such as 'how do I sort that out' and then you give an answer and you have to preach to actually change your skiing for the better you gotta put a lot of effort in and you also have to justify why what you are saying will help said persons skiing - there IS A REASON why such and such a thing is taught e.g. posture today... the young chap had awful posture and looking more like a ski instructor in a 'ready position' WILL benefit his skiing further down the line - you can't just force the turns around for ever and a day. However the problems faced stem from everyone copying everyone elses bad habits they see on the mountain! Arghhhh!

After skiing I picked up Ben and headed home... had some plumbing issues at home to sort out so there was no kids bath time and Clare sorted bed time out before dinner and sofa time once again - oh its a repetitive but good life - ha ha!

A quick congrats to Dicks Tea Bar who are celebrating 40 years of existence this season. oh and there was nasty incident where a mother managed to get her sledge towing her young child caught under the wheels of a moving car - seems like no injury came about but it sounds like it could have been so much worse! There was also the story of someone getting their drone caught on a lift pylon on the nursery slopes yesterday too - a reminder that drone flying is a heavily controlled thing in France and you can get heavily fined for flying one with a permit - the necessary training etc! So be warned!

Right I think thats all for now. TTFN

The Marmottes Restaurant really is good VFM... €8.80 for a pick your own large salad plate is darn good!

Sorry not the best photo BUT any ideas what the black and yellow post in the middle of the photo on the snow is all about?

Anyone wanna guess exactly where this photo is taken?
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
Anyone wanna guess exactly where this photo is taken?

Going down from Solaise towards Glaciers chair, Looking left towards Laissinant chair, Danaides hard left at the CatEx.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Other than your phone did you have anything else in your other hand? wink I know you TDC fellas can multi task!!!!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Steve Angus, Other than your phone did you have anything else in your other hand? wink I know you TDC fellas can multi task!!!!

Cryptic and correct answer!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, does the black & yellow pole mark the best place to stand to turn your takeaway hot chocolate into an ice cream?
snowHead
latest report
@Steve Angus,

The black & yellow posts generally speaking mark hazzards on the piste eg. rocks, holes etc. In this particular case it is warning you that your ears are about to be assaulted by the dreadful noise coming from the Folie Douce and to look out for drunks on the slope ahead of you.

I agree with you that a lot of people on the slopes have less skill. One of the reasons for this is that ski and snowboard design has made it easier to get on the slopes and a lot of people would rather ski or board out of control at high speed simply to show how fast they have gone on their phone app and/or Go Pro.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@Steve Angus,

I agree with you that a lot of people on the slopes have less skill. One of the reasons for this is that ski and snowboard design has made it easier to get on the slopes.

I have been gobsmacked in the last year or so by 2 different sets of friends who have been skiing a few times and have never had one lesson - between about 8 or 9 of them including grown up kids and son / daughter in laws !!

Its not like these people are skint either, its a weird mindset thing where they seem to think that strapping on the skis and heading downhill means they have cracked it.

I asked the father of one of the groups how his new son in law had got on (had never skiied in his life) and the answer was "aye, he took to it really well, managed to get down some fairly steep reds with us on the first day and was really fast".

I can only imagine how "in control" he was flying down that red..........

One of the guys from the other family was on a stag do with me in Tignes a few years ago and he was utterly rubbish, I remember asking him why he didnt get lessons and he just shrugged.

I have been asked to join one or two of their trips over the years and always made excuses even though they are nice people - frankly, the thought of skiing with out of control eejits brings me out in hives. Plus, I would rather not end up in a blood wagon because some erse didnt know how to brake and totalled me.

Contrast with our usual group who go away at least once every year, have been skiing or boarding since the year dot.......and some still do private lessons on the odd lunchtime to top up.
latest report
I think there is an expectancy these days that progress will be very quick ie. days rather than weeks. Also a big change from 30 years ago are the quality of the pistes. Moguls are unheard of in many areas, pistes are perfectly prepared and frequently widened and graded in the summer. With modern equipment skiers are essentially being encouraged to ski flat out. I’m just as guilty Sad
ski holidays
The problem I believe is that we live in an instant world, same day deliveries, instant music, videos, movies etc.

People don’t appreciate the art of skiing, mountain skills, development any more.

Phil from snoworks was suggesting resorts should do less pisting and allow moguls to develop which will slow people down and mean they need to develop some skills. Personally I think it’s a great idea.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
One thing that struck me this afternoon was (and I have had this thought a fair few times in this and many other holiday periods recently) that there are getting lesser and lesser decent skiers and boarders on the mountains... all the older conventions of skill are totally lost... I know I have said this before but really for every 100 people on the hill I barely see anyone who really has much skill - call me old fashioned or whatever but it is bonkers! The other thing, and again today was another example, was that to get better you have to put more and more effort in... some times you are asked a question such as 'how do I sort that out' and then you give an answer and you have to preach to actually change your skiing for the better you gotta put a lot of effort in and you also have to justify why what you are saying will help said persons skiing - there IS A REASON why such and such a thing is taught e.g. posture today... the young chap had awful posture and looking more like a ski instructor in a 'ready position' WILL benefit his skiing further down the line - you can't just force the turns around for ever and a day. However the problems faced stem from everyone copying everyone elses bad habits they see on the mountain! Arghhhh!

Bring back 'skinny skis'? When the saying was that it took seven years (ie 7 x six day holidays with lessons) to learn how to parallel ski blacks AND that was every pupil's expectation.

Though I personally blame people copying ski instructors by going around the mountains with a camera-phone in one hand - no names - no packdrill. snowHead (see chocksaway above). But seriously people concentrating on their selfie stick & not what is around them are a true danger on the slopes.
snow report
I think possibly something to do with the expectations of lessons and people wanting to get progression quickly. You pay £200+ for a week of group lessons for a few years there is an expectation that after a point in time that 'doing a black run' is progression rather than actually focusing on fundamentals and being able to ski a blue well. I'm guilty of above and just want to get out on the slopes and do as much as possible.

I also noticed with my kids the levels are set up accordingly to the run level and kids getting passed at various levels having skied for x weeks regardless of ability but actually were not any better than the children with less experience. Not that I'm qualified to judge just an observation.

Also equipment is much more forgiving. So you can do more for less effort. Plus social media shows you what is possible so probably raises expectations.
snow conditions
Also the really good skiers usually aren't on the piste anyway.

I would like to have more lessons but a ski holiday is expensive enough already. I had many years of 6-day lessons when I was learning (thank you parents!) and have continued to have private lessons here and there but I'd love to improve.

I do see a lot of people skiing very fast on busy pistes and it scares me - St Anton was particularly bad for this.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, Well it would re rude to spoil it for everyone else, bit too much of an advantage!

PS Agree on the level of muppetry on the slopes and basic ignorance of the rules of the piste - certain ski schools should do more.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@Steve Angus, Well it would re rude to spoil it for everyone else, bit too much of an advantage!

PS Agree on the level of muppetry on the slopes and basic ignorance of the rules of the piste - certain ski schools should do more.

Is he holding a rope? Smile
ski holidays
@GreenDay, There are so many tempting replies to that one......
snow conditions
Is @Grinning basically correct, except for the direction? You're on the rope tow heading back towards the Solaise lift from the Datcha lift.
latest report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 8-10-20 7:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I think there's a key difference between 'poor technique' and 'inconsiderate/dangerous behaviour'. The two aren't mutually exclusive of course.

Personally I don't have much problem with people who could clearly improve their technique with tuition, but nevertheless ski in a controlled, considerate and relatively safe way.

I have major problems with those who endanger others with their style. This can be because their confidence and risk taking outweighs their technical ability. But I also see what I think are technically very capable skiers, who endanger others by skiing too fast, too close, without due care and attention when entering or setting off on a piste, etc. They often disregard the prevailing conditions and fail to show much empathy with those who are less competent than them, eg beginners.

Much the same on the roads I think and probably quite a few people behaving badly there are the same when they ski.

Anyway, for ski instructors, it must be good to see such a huge potential market for their services snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy