Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe 2011/12 Write Off

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
Maybe the people who have written off this season already have just forgotten how to have a good time?

Yep

Really guys! all these snow threads, it's NOVEMBER give it a week or two.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spend far too much time at Hemel anyway, so if only one slope is open at a resort, and it's longer than 150m and has no restrictions/obstructions/slow signs every 3m, I'll be extremely happy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stupid thread for loads of reasons but by who's definition is Europe limited to the Alps anyway Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't think SHs who have booked to ski Christmas/New year will find this thread stupid. We don't just want snow but a firm hard pack base covered with about a metre of the good stuff to take out the uneveness of the terrain. The problem is everywhere seems bone dry, green and not even frosty!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 24-11-11 12:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Panic over.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82582&highlight=
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Muppet.

I remember turning up for my first season in the last week of November 2007. There was no snow anywhere and it was T-shirt weather.

We had the best Christmas/New Year conditions I've ever seen.

If there's no snow in 3 weeks time I'll be worried. Right now? Mild concern at most. There is actually a bit of snow high-up (September & October were fairly snowy) and the bare ground is fairly frozen (enough to make mountain-biking at 2000m a bit sketchy the other day!).

I'm enjoying riding my bike right now and looking forward to getting the pre-season touring gear out next week when the snow arrives!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today there is an article in a respected Austrian newspaper.

The Chairman of the Austrian Cable ways said "the 400 snow making reservoirs in Austria are full so weather it snows or not we can lay down pistes"
(temperature dependent).

But, he also said "the desire for winter sports with many people is only when there is natural snow".

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-11-11 15:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
We don't just want snow but a firm hard pack base covered with about a metre of the good stuff to take out the uneveness of the terrain.

Each to their own I suppose but I reckon slopes with uneven terrain are much more fun. Rock bands, gullys, sudden pitch changes, anything at all really except the bloody boring moguls. wink Actually, that sums up Glencoe. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't feed the troll. It's not like it really matters - if you're vaguely sentient you know that winter sports are highly weather dependent and you roll your dice when committing upfront. If you've booked a bargain basement pre Xmas trip chances are you're fairly keen and will be going again this winter so a bit of warm up on WROD won't do you any harm. And in the long run over your skiing life you'll get skunked and get slammed in roughly proportionate levels. At this point I might revert to some karmic argument that going skiing when there's no natural snow puts a credit in the bank that gets you a blissful powder day some other time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
stanton WhiteGold , Be a dear and have a read of this and then SFU.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1904715#1904715

I did predict 2nd week December on another thread. Very Happy

So why start this one then FFS.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee wrote:
Every SH been here sometime knows stanton is our man when answering all matters regarding St Anton.
Nah, those days are long gone. Like Whitegold he just comes here to extract the wee wee. Couple of old boys who have a lot of experience to offer but prefer to stir rather than contribute.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, speak for yourself, not everyone wants to risk life and limb on unprepared slopes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, wrote
Quote:

It has not been this warm & dry in the Alps for a long period. If this dry period continues past the 28 November (which it will) You have to go back to 1953.

So skiing ended in the Alps forever when I was only 4.

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton,

Is this you? wink
http://graceetcetera.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/troll_fail.jpg
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it is any consolation I did say 2nd Week December Happy

http://www.meteoprog.ch/en/weather/Kitzbuhel/11_15/
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
stanton, wrote
Quote:

It has not been this warm & dry in the Alps for a long period. If this dry period continues past the 28 November (which it will) You have to go back to 1953.

So skiing ended in the Alps forever when I was only 4.

snowHead

What? No, he's saying the last time there was a dry period as long as this was 1953, not that skiing in the alps ended in 1953. He may be wrong of course.
latest report
bobmcstuff, Right, so the consequences of that particular warm spell for the ski world were.... ?

Might it just have been weather?

snowHead
snow conditions
...doomed ... we're all doomed!
ski holidays
Chris Bish, I'm not agreeing with him of course... In fact by saying that he's proven himself and Whitegold wrong, since as we all know there have been lots of good winters since 1953 so on that basis there's no reason to suggest there won't be more in the future...
snow report
ps Panic not - our most mainstream advertisers yet tell us that the ski season is starting in 6 days in their incredibly irritating countdown timer and marketing types are never wrong!
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:
bobmcstuff, Right, so the consequences of that particular warm spell for the ski world were.... ?

Might it just have been weather?

snowHead

1953 Ski World, LOL !

Its not just Winter Sports which are at risk.

Right now cargo shipping (only carry one quarter of the goods) on the Danube is disrupted because of 12% less water than a normal year. Goods have had to shift to road & Rail. Power company's revenues are down due to less consumption.

The Isar river in Bavaria is almost running dry. Less water Hydro Power plants are running less.
snow report
stanton wrote:

Right now cargo shipping (only carry one quarter of the goods) on the Danube is disrupted because of 12% less water than a normal year. Goods have had to shift to road & Rail. Power company's revenues are down due to less consumption.

The Isar river in Bavaria is almost running dry. Less water Hydro Power plants are running less.

Seemed to be running just fine when I crossed it last night! Where's your evidence? The river trade is usually reduced at this time of year due to less rain reaching the rivers due to the snow!

You seem hell bent on being the worst kind of troll! If you are going to quote articles or statements, back them up with the citations, enough of us here speak the local languages to catch you out.
latest report
I do find this year has been exceptional warm in UK.

It is 24 of Nov today but there had been only one morning I had the need to use de-icer on my car in the morning where I live. Normally by mid Nov there will be regular frost in the morning but none so far and the temperature in the morning could still hoovering around 10 degree C.

Dolomites has declared its opening date in beginning of Dec but looking at the web cam Snoweye the place is nowhere ready in a week or 10 days time. The lack of snow is currently everywhere in Italy, France, Switzerland and Austria. The white stuff is visible mainly in resorts that have glaciers. One exception I could find in Italy is Milky Way (Sestrier, Claviere, Sauze D'Olux Cesana) but the snow there is pretty poor though.

We are talking absolutely no snow at the base chairlifts in the majority of resorts and have them ready to ski in about a week! Yes one can use chairlifts, gondolas and cable cars to reach the top for the snow but there doesn't seem to be enough of it either.

May be the SH should check the web cams of their destination before arguing in this thread.

It may not be a write off for the whole season but it is definitely depressing up to now.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-11-11 16:54; edited 3 times in total
snow report
stanton,

Here in Austria the Danube is low i.e. circa 20% lower than a normal year (30% lower would be an extreme case).

OK if you want to write the season off then stay in cloghopping land. I'm sure the rest of us will put in a few turns without missing you too much.
latest report
its not got above zero degree's here all day, were about 800m high in the valley Very Happy
snow report
Strange thread, surely we won't know if 2011/2012 has been a write off until after the season has finished?

I skied the 3 Valleys in April 2011, lovely skiing in T-shirts & perfect conditions on some slopes and horrendous (too slushy, icey, not enough snow) on others.

I'm looking forward to skiing in France in both January & February & will find some skiing somewhere that will be better than the indoor slopes i have to use the rest of the year.

ps - the cup is half full not half empty Very Happy
snow report
Trolling done right:

http://youtube.com/v/VAGiQ3AWKqI
ski holidays
This is enough for me:

http://youtube.com/v/QMUtwYQ26Yc

(I now know what I want to do when I grow up!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look children panic ye not - well at least those going to France for the New Year !

For some bizarre reason I'm flying out to Grenoble Dec 30th renting a car avec the Mrs, staying with friends in La Grave, then over to Serre Che for New Years Eve with friends, then we're back to LG for a few more days before setting off to find my daughter who is doing her first season as a Chalet Bitch - resort as yet unknown, but you can bet it will be fecking miles from Grenoble where we fly back from on Jan 5th.

Anyway the purpose of this post is that my trip will invoke "sods law"

It will snow big time - firstly so we will not be able to get over the Col to Serre - or then if we do succeed we will not be able to get back to LG - then we'll have further hassle with snow on the roads as I'll be driving back and forth to let the other half ski in Serre or maybe LG.

And this is all because I will be unable to ski as I'm still in rehab following on from my ACL op!

So how do you like those onions Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
stanton wrote:

If you are going to quote articles or statements, back them up with the citations, enough of us here speak the local languages to catch you out.

>>>>Das Hochdruckwetter hat bereits wirtschaftliche Auswirkungen auf die Kraftwerksbetreiber. Sowohl die Verbund AG wie auch die Salzburg AG sprechen von Millionenverlusten wegen geringerer Stromerzeugung in den Laufkraftwerken. 15 bis 20 Prozent weniger Stromerzeugung bedeutet mehr als fünf Millionen Euro Umsatzverlust, sagte Salzburg AG-Sprecher Sigi Kämmerer. Verbund-Sprecher Florian Seidl zufolge führt die Donau im heurigen Jahr rund zwölf Prozent weniger Wasser als in einem Regeljahr. Und mit den Donaukraftwerken werde immerhin der Jahresverbrauch aller österreichischen Haushalte erzeugt.

„Die Situation für uns ist aber lang nicht so dramatisch wie für die Schifffahrt“, betonte Seidl. Während der Personenverkehr bislang trotz des extrem niedrigen Pegelstands uneingeschränkt möglich ist, dürfen Frachtschiffe derzeit nur mehr ein Viertel der Last transportieren. „Der Güterverkehr ist stark eingeschränkt. Das führt zu einer Verlagerung auf Straße und Bahn“, sagte Bettina Pepek von „Via Donau“. Besonders betroffen sei der Industriestandort Linz, weil von dort vor allem Erze und Mineralöle verschifft würden. Aber auch agrarische Produkte müssten umgeladen werden. Was wiederum dazu führt, dass durch den steigenden Lkw-Verkehr die Feinstaubbelastung weiter zunimmt.<<<
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Europe's Golden Age of skiing is over.

The Alps have become too dry and too warm.

Those in the know head to North America or Japan.

I would readily accept a very large 'incentive bonus' from Snowheads to return to the European Alps.

I know more than a few of you have noticed that since I left Verbier, two paradigm shifts in global weather patterns:

1) No decent snowfalls in Europe.

2) North America is going to have an yet another epic winter.

I am not sure of the link between my own greenhouse gas production and the 'climate change' is, but it does somewhat go to disprove some of the previously established theories.
ski holidays
stanton, No mention of the Isar there!

The winter months often see lower levels and the move to road and rail is within normal expectations. According to that report the level of the Danube is only 12% lower than normal for this time of year.

Try harder troll!
ski holidays
Did I mention anything about Fishing in The Danube or Isar? No, I thought not but I sure hooked one in here Very Happy

Samerberg Sue wrote:
stanton, No mention of the Isar there!

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/folgen-der-rekordtrockenheit-die-wueste-lebt-1.1198104

Quote:
According to that report the level of the Danube is only 12% lower than normal for this time of year.

Is that an echo?
snow report
parlor, when it's good enjoy it. I've had horrendous conditions in BC, warm rain for weeks during jan and feb from top to bottom of the hills.
snow report
stanton, All those quoted there have vested interests in talking up the problems. Just as farmers do when it is dry or ice cream sellers when it's a cold/wet summer.

It has been dry, so what it's been dry for periods before.

Stop trolling you idiot. Why not go scaremongering amongst your own countrymen. No it is easier for you to pretend here, coward.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:

I would readily accept a very large 'incentive bonus' from Snowheads to return to the European Alps.

The problem is not that, the problem is snowheads who move to the Alps then spend the whole pre-season gloating about how they are going to be shreddin' pow every weekend and how they just can't decide where their 'home resort' will be they have so many offers coming in from resort directors to have them as their pro rider.

Hubristastic or what. Mother nature does not like it.
snow conditions
Plenty of snowing so far in JH. Can't see the problem... Wink
snow report
stoat of the dead wrote:
Plenty of snowing so far in JH. Can't see the problem... Wink

Careful there, do we need reminding of what happens when a stoat gets too much snow...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7875271.stm

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
This thread? Epic lol Very Happy
snow report
cantridepete wrote:
its not got above zero degree's here all day, were about 800m high in the valley Very Happy

Temperature inversion, it was 6C at 2300 meters further up the mountain. Zero isotherm was around 3500 meters over most of the Northern French Alps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy