Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe 2011/12 Write Off

Poster: A snowHead
Austria/Switzerland & Alps in general.

The way I see it.

There is no Pre October/November Snow at altitude

No rain or snow for the last 32 days

No permafrost.

High unseasonable temperatures for the next 10 days

It will DUMP (of course) at some time.

When it does DUMP it will be so Acutely dangerous.

This will cause ski towns to virtually shut down (for safety ) due to level 4-5 Avalanche risk.

IMO

Locals are already preparing for the worst.

This Season in Austria & Switzerland is heading for a write off.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-11-11 12:29; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's November 24th so how is the season which runs from the end of November to April a "write off"??? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton, I for one am a firm believer in positive optimistic thoughts at this time of year, but you are being very negative. Are you drinking Gin per chance?? Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's certainly an interesting situation. Not sure I'd be quite that pessimistic. Where I'm going on Dec 24th (Les Coches) there is nothing predicted for another week at least which has certainly startled me a tad. Being a trip with little uns I don't need the best conditions going but I do need something! Longer term I don't think you can be writing off anything this early. I think I will stop looking for a few days.. who needs the stress. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, I injured myself race training in Tignes this week some years ago, I hopped around Lac in dust and only a polo shirt all week; it snowed second week in December and kept going steadily, I skied in early January and it was a very good late season as if Winter waited a month.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne, Good idea, stop looking. What I have done in previous years is find a forecast I like then stop looking; in effect keeping the happy thought. This year I can't find that forecast anywhere and my old favourite, metcheck appears to be stuck in May 2011. I could always rely on Metcheck at some point to forecast snow, then I would just stop looking. A natural conclusion to that is that the current lack of snow is the fault of Metcheck for not updating their forecast!!!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Europe's Golden Age of skiing is over.

The Alps have become too dry and too warm.

Those in the know head to North America or Japan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Too many on here watching Donnie Darko
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Stanton. I got that feeling too but have booked 4 places in mid January. The only snow I have seen from the web cam is Zermatt.

It does look pretty bad this year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Nah

Didn't find snow either. Couple years ago in Mar I skied Niseko like the end of the season; rock hard ice in the morning and slush wet snow in the afternoon.

Last Christmas went over to Vermont to ski 5 places. Each has about 40% closed due to a combination of lack of snow or visitors.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Europe's Golden Age of skiing is over.

Still?

1. This isn't The Lord of the Rings
2. Those in the know know that weather patterns go in circles, and strong la Ninas swing into strong el Ninos
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Man up and take it as it comes! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It might be fair to say that December could be a write-off, with associated loss of New Year peak-week earnings.

It's also definitely true that if it dumps an absolute ton of snow, the avo risk will go off the chart. However, that situation just needs a few days to normalize - the avalanches need to happen, nature takes its course, meanwhile what's left *is* the base and the frozen ground for the next lot. So the season as a whole isn't a write off just yet.

I'm not sure I agree with the logic that absence of snow and absence of permafrost means a hopeless season ahead. Because those are exactly the conditions you would expect in October... so my conclusion is that the season is just delayed a bit, with some early-season headaches.

Of course, it's statistically possible that it won't snow at all. But that's unknowable at this point, and pretty unlikely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No such things as permafrost in the Alps anyhow. Permafrost is, as the words suggest, permanent - i.e. still there in summer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a funny one. Last season was apparently the worst in at least a generation in many resorts, yet I skied at various points from September to June and had probably my best season ever. I was reminded of this by updating my photo album from last season, and concluded it was my best ever. I did get a couple of weeks in Japan with lots of snow, but I equally enjoyed great early (and pre-) season snow in France, fun piste conditions and great weather throughout the season, awesome April skiing in the Dolomites, a month of brilliant glacier skiing in May and even fresh tracks in June.

Maybe the people who have written off this season already have just forgotten how to have a good time?
ski holidays
My main worry is that the mother in law is coming for nearly 3 weeks at Christmas, and if there's no snow we automatically forfeit the free babysitting, and have to actually spend the whole time talking to her instead.
ski holidays
I remember headlines like this back in the late 80s, early 90s. There were some pretty rubbish seasons in the Alps and of course back then there was no significant snowmaking. By contrast my most recent ski trips have had far better snow than I remember from back then. One particular memory was of being in La Plagne at the beginning of March surrounded by brown fields and having to go up to the glacier. Even last season's trip to Kitzbuhel in March was way better than that thanks largely to snowmaking. Both 2009 and 2010 were excellent snow seasons. Now we have almost universal snowmaking in the Alpine resorts there's little reason to get over-stressed about a lack of snow. Very soon overnight temperatures look like they will drop significantly to allow this to happen.

I'm an avid weather watcher, but no expert. This has been a strange year, early very hot dry spring, cool wettish long summer and late dry autumn.

I can't help agreeing with paulio, everything seems a bit late getting going this year, but I'm not writing anything off. I'm going to have two great ski holidays and like rob@rar I'm going to have a fabulous time.

Humbug to all the Victor Meldrews out there.
latest report
paulio wrote:
My main worry is that the mother in law is coming for nearly 3 weeks at Christmas, and if there's no snow we automatically forfeit the free babysitting, and have to actually spend the whole time talking to her instead.

Send her for long walks around the lake Laughing
ski holidays
The world ends in December 2012 anyway but Nostradamus did also mention in passing that the preceding ski season would be "a bit ropey".
ski holidays
two years ago the best new snow of the season in the Sauze-Montgenvre-serre Chevalier area was the last week of March-2nd week April
so you can never tell
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing

I was in Tignes first week of December 2006 - green hills and only the glacier & Double M open. It happens. As long as there's a bit of snow where I'm going I'll be happy. With my first trip mid-Jan I'm hoping there will be some by then Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

The way i see it.
There is no Pre October/November Snow at altitude
No Rain or snow for the last 32 days
No Perma Frost.
High Unseasonable temperatures for the next 10 days
It will DUMP (of course) at some time.
This will cause ski towns to virtually shut down (for safety ) due to level 4-5 Avalanche warnings.
IMO
Locals already are pereparing for the worst.
This Season in Austria 6 Switzerland a write off.

You really do like talking complete mince don't you?

Are you an unemployed NOTW "journalist"? Or just an ordinary idiot?
latest report
I'm reminded of Verbier, in January of the same season cathy mentions (I think). Nothing below about 2100, man made slush/ice combo on the nursery slope which mrs paulio had to use (we were based in La Tzoumaz, and the nearest usable beginner run was Les Esserts, a 2-slow-gondolas-plus-bus-ride commute away - poor girl), surrounded by butterflies dancing in and out of the daffodils and primroses. Very, very odd.

All of a sudden, Tuesday night, metre and a half of fresh, everything open.
snow report
Waaay too early to be worrying about an entire season written off...saw on a couple of cams in the french alps they had already some decent piles of man made being established to supplement mother nature if she strikes lkke everyone else this year! wink
ski holidays
under a new name,

Every SH been here sometime knows stanton is our man when answering all matters regarding St Anton. Be respectful.

This year I have an interest in Gstaad, Zweisimman, Lenk, Adelboden, Gressoney, Campoluc, Cervinia, Zermatt, Pila and Saas Fee and have been checking their snow condition everyday via the web cams. There is no snow except Cervinia/Zermatt which is a glacier resort. The situation is as bad as reported by stanton because even freezing is rare, let alone snow in the resorts I checked.

On the matter of snow supply I thought last year wasn't that bad as I spent one week in Austria and then another week in France/Italy in end of Jan. It was perfect in Stubai, Solden, Obergurgl, Montgenevre, Sauze 'DOlux, Claviere, Cesana, Serre Chevalier, Risoul/Vars and Put St Vincent. The only problem I had was in L2A and LDH which were skiable down to the base level with limited runs.
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing sorry, that has really made me laugh. But not worth replying to Madeye-Smiley

paulio, yes, 2006/07. And then we were in Kitzbuhel in Jan 2007 just as torrential rain wiped out the little snow that had fallen there. But we still had a good time. Made better by the fact it was a cheap trip anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

2011/12 Write Off

Quote:

Funny, it was "too warm" last year. I went skiing.

I'm going skiing next week.
And there's more snow on the webcams than the year I turned up to see grass, for which I managed a full 6 days out of 6 on the slopes.

All of the above are in the Alps.
snow conditions
saikee wrote:
under a new name,

Every SH been here sometime knows stanton is our man when answering all matters regarding St Anton. Be respectful.

This year I have an interest in Gstaad, Zweisimman, Lenk, Adelboden, Gressoney, Campoluc, Cervinia, Zermatt, Pila and Saas Fee and have been checking their snow condition everyday via the web cams. There is no snow except Cervinia/Zermatt which is a glacier resort. The situation is as bad as reported by stanton because even freezing is rare, let alone snow in the resorts I checked.

On the matter of snow supply I thought last year wasn't that bad as I spent one week in Austria and then another week in France/Italy in end of Jan. It was perfect in Stubai, Solden, Obergurgl, Montgenevre, Sauze 'DOlux, Claviere, Cesana, Serre Chevalier, Risoul/Vars and Put St Vincent. The only problem I had was in L2A and LDH which were skiable down to the base level with limited runs.

Why should I show any respect to someone who's spouting complete tripe?

Scaremongering does no-one any good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Half of stanton's post is factual, and the rest is his conjecture deduced from those facts. Your conjecture may be different to his.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
under a new name, andy, Guys, he's obviously trolling... Why bite?
snow report
There's nothing trolly about that post, at all.
ski holidays
Depends how high you go .............

http://gletschercam.peak.at/index.phtml?code=bild000&size=huge

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/

Heard that November was the warmest on record and it could end up being very dangerous offpiste, esp if a lot of snow comes at once and the snow doesn't bond with the warm ground below (as was the case a couple of seasons ago).

A bad start but not yet written off .....
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/6/129203348480090200.jpg
latest report
For GOD'S SAKE DB, stop trolling!
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

The way i see it.

There is no Pre October/November Snow at altitude.

Incorrect

Quote:
No Rain or snow for the last 32 days

Really? even though pics of fresh snow were posted in this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78906&start=80

Quote:
High Unseasonable temperatures for the next 10 days

the season is longer than 10 days

stanton wrote:

This will cause ski towns to virtually shut down (for safety ) due to level 4-5 Avalanche warnings.

For level 4 / 5 you need a major dump - how do you know this will occur, when will his occur? How confident are you that this will occur?

Quote:
IMO

Locals already are pereparing for the worst.

This Season in Austria 6 Switzerland a write off.

"IMO" says it all.
snow conditions
I'm with cathy on this one... classic stanton Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

queen bodecia wrote:
Now we have almost universal snowmaking in the Alpine resorts there's little reason to get over-stressed about a lack of snow. Very soon overnight temperatures look like they will drop significantly to allow this to happen.

We are not interested in manmade autobahns. Its OFF PISTE we want Very Happy

under a new name,

It is only my opinion & as I said SNOW will come however, the season will be much shorter with far less people taking to the slopes.

In tough ecconomic times folk will not want to risk money on expensive winter vacations if they can see green hills.

If you do not like what you read I suggest you say something constructive rather than being abusive.

It has not been this warm & dry in the Alps for a long period. If this dry period continues past the 28 November (which it will) You have to look back to 1953 when the last time this kind of drought happened.

DB wrote:
stanton wrote:

The way i see it.

There is no Pre October/November Snow at altitude.

Incorrect

Take another look these are all Glacier Ski Towns/Areas.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-11-11 15:39; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Good troll there, OP. The typos and bad grammar were a nice touch.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Those in the know head to Chill Factor or Xscape.
latest report
stanton WhiteGold , Be a dear and have a read of this and then SFU.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1904715#1904715
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
stanton WhiteGold , Be a dear and have a read of this and then SFU.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1904715#1904715

I did predict 2nd week December on another thread. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy