Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis

Poster: A snowHead
xdeleted

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-10-12 17:05; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Find other boutique skis made by Differences and see what they sell for second hand. Regardless of how good the AM skis are most serious skiers will naturally assume they are a fairly naked badge engineering attempt and won't pay any sort of premium for them. They might be worth a little bit more to an AM owner and if you find someone who is a slave to luxury brands over function they might be worth something more.

My logic - No serious mountain biker buys a Land Rover bike despite the parent brands reputation in offroad transport.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another ski from an upmarket brand sold really well on here only just last week.

Here's the thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1899403&highlight=prada#1899403

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, Don't be mean Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
deleted

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 16-10-12 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
shoogly, Don't be mean Laughing
Indeed - calm down everyone, clearly a different level of questioner here.

jamese, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Since you don't have the specs yet, your question might be a bit premature. When you get them will you post them up? I'm keen to see - might need a pair for my alter-ego! (see other thread).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://en.differences.li/skis-home/skis
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
management mumbo jumbo gold:

Quote:
Differences stands for the solutions created in close collaboration with the client. With our diverse team coming from different domains, we can put together a holistic proposal for our clients and thus create optimal solutions.

Through our flat hierarchy and controlled processes, we can create timely solutions for client problems first on paper and then convert the same in our production.

jamese, basically if they end up costing less than something similar made by a mainstream company, go for it. otherwise i'd probably not bother
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jamese, what exactly are you looking for in your new skis?

oh... and welcome to snowheads snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmm zai for hublot/the other brands they have, one of which is a car manufcaturer i believe? skis sell for around 5k harrods said
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
deleted

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-10-12 17:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jamese, Welcome to Snowheads dude, get involved.

They look nice, but we'd need to see a legit review of them before we consider bathing our feet in them......they're a bit bling for me (see Volant & Kneissl for ref) but I wouldn't be adverse to having a blem in them.....I'll say they're retailing for about £599 or so.....wanna give me a set to try out?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamese, Welcome. If you get them cheap, go for it otherwise test them first. They may be brilliant but without reviews or a demo it's impossible to say what they're worth.

Hmmmm. Car brands making skis. Damn, Whitedot are going to start making cars. We'll stick to the BC theme

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 22-11-11 18:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You gonna do Dots Dozen on those dude?
ski holidays
koooooh! Stick me down for one mate!
snow conditions
the_doc, looks slightly low at the back -clealry full of beer and no room for skis -Is there a long wheel base version Puzzled
snow report
....hell, as long as it tows a caravan I'm happy!
snow report
sorry see below

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-11-11 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:

My logic - No serious mountain biker buys a Land Rover bike despite the parent brands reputation in offroad transport.

he,he always thought the same too. porsche, ferrari, etc have all done it too. why would i want some badly designed suspension bike with porsche stickers. its probably manufactured very well, but still...
ski holidays
Dot., 6x6, nnnnoiiice

fatbob, not many Land Rover owners go off-road neither though (at least a lot more dont than do, but ALL look the part!)

I do think though, if jamese gets em, he has to rock up to base with them strapped to his DB9 or whatever. Gettin them out the back of the panda or yeti just wont fly
ski holidays
They look the DB's.
snow report
Well this is almost certainly a pure branding exercise with no doubt a big price tag. I can't see Aston Martin actually getting technically involved in ski design and if they did, WTF do they know about designing skis anyway? So the real questions are:-

1/ Is Difference a good ski brand - Possibly, but I've never heard of them personally
2/ Is this actual ski model suitable for the type of skiing you want to do - who knows? From the pictures the bindings look like they are mounted very rearward, suggesting it ins't going to be a Park ski despite the twin-tip. The sidecut looks quite aggressive with a narrow waist, so probably a general purpose piste carver of some kind. Certainly doesn't look anything like a freeride ski to me.
3/ Price - if they are expensive even with your discount I'd look elsewhere.
ski holidays
If Aston Martin gave me access to their composites team and a budget for molds I reckon I could make them a damn fine ski.
snow report
fatbob wrote:

Lamborghini make Tractors too. Toofy Grin
snow report
barry wrote:

fatbob, not many Land Rover owners go off-road neither though (at least a lot more dont than do, but ALL look the part!)

I disagree, they don't ALL look the part, RR Sport looks like a Footballer/Drug Dealer car and don't even go there with a Gaylander 1
snow conditions
I remember doing an industry ski test in 2007. Everyone wanted the Ferrari ski to Fail. I was one of the best high performance skis on the test.

Spyderman, I do like this new Landrover http://www.bowler-offroad.com/Nem_2009/Nemesis_RACE_home.htm
snow conditions
jamese wrote:
.... Also would it be better to get women specific skis?

For those of you referring to 'he' rolling eyes

jamese, I like the graphics, but afraid I can't offer any technical advice. Just a thought, but would they be particularly susceptible to being nicked? And welcome to snowHeads
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, neither of which i consider a Land Rover....
snow report
jamese wrote:

Why is it that ski manufacturers pay no attention to the inevitable mounting of bindings when it comes to designing a ski's graphics? Puzzled
latest report
Dot., Anything with "Bowler" on the badge is allright by me. Very Happy

barry, Agreed.
snow report
Spyderman, Doubt they'll mount bindings on the ski base dude
latest report
uktrailmonster, You're severely underestimating Spyderman's drills.... Twisted Evil
latest report
jamese, this sort of stuff is just another way of holdng rich people upside down and shaking them until things drop out of their pockets. If you want some skis, buy from people who do skis.
snow report
deleted

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 16-10-12 17:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jamese wrote:

I basically want an all round ski to cope with whatever I throw at it - Mostly I'll be on the piste, but the occasional dabble in the park as I wouldnt mind learning the odd trick, and perhaps a spot of 'off roading' as my sister calls it.

Something along these lines:-

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/skis/k2/700133/missconduct
ski holidays
Aston Martin do a nice little run about as well.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=aston%20martin%20cygnet&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astonmartin.com%2Fcars%2Fcygnet&ei=AUHOTrPgEc_m8QPLou3-Dw&usg=AFQjCNGGHQlEI5OFU6V67SHV5uvtcT8JGA

barf.

At least the ski's look good.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
This sort of stuff is just another way of holdng rich people upside down and shaking them until things drop out of their pockets.

Oh, my bleeding heart. Sad
ski holidays
Yeah I did have a look at them when I went into a shop recently, unfortunatly the only hardware guy in there was a boarder so he wasnt much help! how do the miss demeaners compare? I think i'm just going to get up to MK and try some out if thats possible!
snow conditions
jamese,

As far as I am aware "Differences" is a small Austrian ski producer, I'd be surpized if anyone here had skied a pair of their skis nevermind owned a pair. Anyone?

I'd guess from the dimensions the Aston Martin Skis could be something similar to this Differences ski

„Für heutige Freeride-Verhältnisse ein schmaler Ski mit weichem Flex. Die starken Seiten des XF liegen im unverspurten Gelände, dort ist er gut zu steuern und zu kontrollieren. Die Tester attestieren ihm eine sehr fehlerverzeihende Abstimmung. Tempo erleichtert das Fahren ungemein, sonst braucht man Kraft. ...“

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/snow-2-2009/182759.html

Very rough translation = thin freeride ski, best in untracked offpiste, soft flexing, very forgiving, easy to turn at speed, needs to be muscled at slower speeds.

There again it could be similar to this Difference ski which came last in the test.
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/skimagazin-5-2009/182807.html
Try to find out what difference model it is and then see how that ski performs. Unless you recieve a big discount on the equivalent Difference model of ski I'd go for something else.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy