Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche transceivers

Poster: A snowHead
GordonFreeman, I would class three people as a small group. But ja, if you follow safety protocol there should only be one person on the slope at a time in order to avoid multiple burials. Doesn't mean the searchers aren't vulnerable to a second avalanche (this afternoon, someone was telling us about experiencing this very scenario).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, don't agree with that at all.

Good group management should, of course, be aimed at only one person being on the slope (and therefore buried) at any one time but unfortunately, last year's toll in the Alps shows us that multiple burials are all too common - and very often fatal.

Not sure how the number of people in your group makes mountain rescue involvement any more likely?

EDIT: God that sounds horrendously pompous. You know what I mean.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

The other thought that came to mind today: if you are a lone searcher with at least two victims, what is the recommended process? Do you try to locate both victims before trying to dig them out? Or do you locate the first victim, dig that person out, then proceed with locating the second victim?

Dig out the first one you find/get to. Better one lives on dies, than both die in the time it would take to just locate them.

Out of interest, how long does the reboot take - do you just mean turn off then on, or is it more complex?

In most cases, you wouldn't have that many people under the snow and if you did, you'd very likely be in a situation where mountain rescue + dogs were involved.
Personal beacons are normally used in small off piste groups.
Of course, it interesting to try them our in multiple scenarios.

By the time mountain rescue and dogs are on the scene, it's too late anyway - you're searching for bodies not people.

For one person, just locating two buried people in 15 minutes is likely going to be difficult (depending on how spread out they are obv) - remember you'd be scrambling about on re-frozen avi debris and potentially a steep slope - let alone digging them both out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm amazed ignoring timeslots is the masking technique. That's massively short-sighted and I would imagine it has cost lives... Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

The only way to completly eliminate this issue would be if beacons transmitted completly unique codes..

This is as hard as ;

"ok guys, let's set our transceivers up : I'll take 1 ; Dave you're 2, Will you're 3, Adam 4, Sarah you're 5".

You press a button on the side until it shows your number, and it broadcasts that number before each transmit... Works for any group size ...

No more risk of masking out more than one survivor/body...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

The other thought that came to mind today: if you are a lone searcher with at least two victims, what is the recommended process? Do you try to locate both victims before trying to dig them out? Or do you locate the first victim, dig that person out, then proceed with locating the second victim?

Dig out the first one you find/get to. Better one lives on dies, than both die in the time it would take to just locate them.

Out of interest, how long does the reboot take - do you just mean turn off then on, or is it more complex?

In most cases, you wouldn't have that many people under the snow and if you did, you'd very likely be in a situation where mountain rescue + dogs were involved.

By the time mountain rescue and dogs are on the scene, it's too late anyway - you're searching for bodies not people.

For one person, just locating two buried people in 15 minutes is likely going to be difficult (depending on how spread out they are obv) - remember you'd be scrambling about on re-frozen avi debris and potentially a steep slope - let alone digging them both out.

That's kind of my point, you're going to go to the 1st one your transceiver sees and the digital ones should help with any confusion in multiple signals.
However, if you were in a small off piste group of 4 people and you're the only 1 left, you are going to be so totally knackered if you managed to get 1 person out.
I spoke to a ski instructor once where they skied off a rock and the snow broke burying 1 person, they couldn't even locate them with the transceiver - he said he thought it was a depth thing and the rock making it more difficult, not sure if these were old analogue transceivers or not.

Realistically, how long does it take mountain rescue to arrive for most people who are not that far off piste? Now let's say it's off piste like the vallee blanche or somewhere further out?

I've not been in this situation and could be coming at it from a slightly naive point of view but I think the realities of a multiple burial scenario are going to be too difficult to actually do anything more than locate 1 person.

On another note, these transceivers don't pick up Recco signals do they?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

he said he thought it was a depth thing and the rock making it more difficult, not sure if these were old analogue transceivers or not.

Its a very interesting area of transceivers and how they work, I found when testing things like rocks and pylons can mess up the signal, I am not sure but I think that they make the signal bounce and therefore picking up the signal becomes erratic. I found that if you are in this situation, is worth changing your search angle a couple of times to see what is being picked up and where and then adjusting your search to compensate.

Has anyone seen any research anywhere on this aspect of rocks and pylons etc affectig transceiver signals?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ By far the thing most likely to cause unexpected problems with a beacon is EMI (electromagnetic interface).
Background RF (radio frequency) noise can originate from other electronic devices, particularly mobile phones, or even the power cables for a ski lift / cable car.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JaMMi, I think it would take a switch to transmitting digital data to allow unique codes to be identifiable. Then each device could be manufactured with a fixed unique code or generate one each time it's switched on, similar to a GUIDs (globally unique identifier). Maybe there are different tricks to analyse the current signals for uniqueness but the timing method may be the only way. If you have 2 signals being received at the same time does that not effect the direction and distance? What if 2 transmitting bleeps are in sync from moment search starts? This messes things up? I assume this is unlikely?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whilst multiple burial avalanches sometimes happen they are usually large scales events that will almost certainly result in fatalities.
This is an interesting and honest read about the chances, and likely outcome, of multiple burials.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0831-multiple-burials-revisited/

Multiple burial scenarios are fun to practice - but the chances of having to use them in real world events are small.
As soon as you find the first victim you want to clear their airways and turn their beacon off (unless there are 2 or more searchers).
The extra time spent turning their beacon off will make locating the 2nd or 3rd buried beacons *much* easier.

re: Digital signal masking techniques (S1, Pieps, Pulse, 3+).
Apparently it is roughly a 5% failure rate for 2 beacons, 15-20% with 3 beacons and 30-70% with 4 beacons.
(source pistehors.com).

Basically your best to concentrate practice on simple searches (especially final accurate grid search for buried beacons), probing and shoveling techniques.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 21-11-11 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap,

Thanks for links will check em out. Tried the switch to transmit and back again but I don't recall it making any difference.

Helpful discussion here. Yeah, my shiny new piece of kit left me confused and worried but with hindsight that's what yesty's exercise was all about - identifying the bugs and finding ways around them so there are no surprises if a trannie has to be used in anger. I did notice Zero-G with the same trannie didn't seem to have as many problems as me - so I think part of the problem here is that the operator could do with some more instruction/practice/manual reading.

Interestingly, a Mammut Barryvox borrowed from another sH worked much better for me.

However, I'm now also wondering about the effect of mobile phones on yesty's exercise - there would have been a lot of them about on the north face of Primrose Hill on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

One general message I get strongly from reading "Staying alive in avalanche terrain" by Bruce Tremper is that in the immediate aftermath of a slide, everyone needs to slow down and think a few steps ahead before moving into search mode. It's hard cos it goes against instinct.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Paua,
Quote:

I did notice Zero-G with the same trannie didn't seem to have as many problems as me - so I think part of the problem here is that the operator could do with some more instruction/practice/manual reading.
Possibly, but I had no difficulty with Zero-G's either, despite having no previous experience, whereas I did with yours.

Quote:

Mammut Barryvox borrowed from another sH worked much better for me
Me too.

Quote:

in the immediate aftermath of a slide, everyone needs to slow down and think a few steps ahead before moving into search mode
Absolutely. I also came away from yesterday's session with the strong sense that, in a group, having a good 'leader of operations' will pay dividends.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ By far the thing most likely to cause unexpected problems with a beacon is EMI (electromagnetic interface).
Background RF (radio frequency) noise can originate from other electronic devices, particularly mobile phones, or even the power cables for a ski lift / cable car.

In case this helps - even if that is based on experience - I suspect this is a little confused in that : EMI is EMI : anything which involves electricity, and lengths of cable can have emissions. Whether a cellphone operating at 800 - 2200 MHz or the FM radio signals bouncing around at 85 - 110MHz (or lift cables etc) are more or less likely to interfere, is really difficult to consider.

In theory ; EMI/EMC is actually less of a concern (or it would be to me as rescuer) than reflections / obscured signals due to rocks / landscape issues. This is since anything sold in EU must pass R&TTE directive (EN 300 330, EN 301 489 etc etc) and both a) accept interference (and continue to work successfully) and b) not cause problems to other devices. Ok it's a self-certification process but manufacturer's follow it from my experience (RF type approval is my day job).

If I have 15 minutes to find people, I want minimal crap in the way of my RF signal (or to know the waves are going to be passing through the stuff in the way - which a quick check on the wavelengths involved will rule out / confirm as an issue) so the signal is accurate. A reflection could cost valuable time. That said - I doubt a reflection would actually send me far off the actual target... It's likely to be a tiny effect of the whole signal I'm detecting... Anyway, cellphones whilst massively high-power (1 - 2W typically [wifi typically 0.1 - 0.75W]), should not really cause a problem. Like on airplanes however, turning everything electronic with you off guarantees no issues, which is better than 0.0001% risk when lives are at stake. I'm just saying spending any time turning off your cellphones is a waste of time (surely it adds to the time needed to get help too...) relative to concentrating on something that could genuinely help...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ ?? nice brain fart rolling eyes

Quote:
....I'm just saying spending any time turning off your cellphones is a waste of time

False.
The EMI interference from mobile phones can cause very real EMI effects in search mode (easily proven yourself).
Some reading about beacons and mobile phone here -

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Interference.asp
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ ?? nice brain fart rolling eyes

Quote:
....I'm just saying spending any time turning off your cellphones is a waste of time

False.
The EMI interference from mobile phones can cause very real EMI effects in search mode (easily proven yourself).
Some reading about beacons and mobile phone here -

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Interference.asp

I tried this next to the Pulse in digital mode once with only 1 other beacon and didn't get any interference - doesn't mean it can't happen.
Isn't this like one of those turn your mobile off in the airplane and off in the petrol station things? I spoke to a pilot once who said the mobile phones made no difference, they ask passengers to turn them off so they are listening to the safety announcements. Admittedly, airplane comms are shielded preventing interference and transceivers probably aren't: http://mythbustersresults.com/episode49

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150700434759?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
ski holidays
^ Turn a beacon to search mode and bring a mobile phone to within 30cm.
There is almost always some kind of EMI interference (differs between phone models).
At the 457kHZ band the risk is very real, especially in search mode (mobile phone on aircraft is totally different scenario).
All beacon manufacturers, manuals etc agree on this.
ski holidays
GordonFreeman wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

That's kind of my point, you're going to go to the 1st one your transceiver sees and the digital ones should help with any confusion in multiple signals.
However, if you were in a small off piste group of 4 people and you're the only 1 left, you are going to be so totally knackered if you managed to get 1 person out.
I spoke to a ski instructor once where they skied off a rock and the snow broke burying 1 person, they couldn't even locate them with the transceiver - he said he thought it was a depth thing and the rock making it more difficult, not sure if these were old analogue transceivers or not.

Realistically, how long does it take mountain rescue to arrive for most people who are not that far off piste? Now let's say it's off piste like the vallee blanche or somewhere further out?

I've not been in this situation and could be coming at it from a slightly naive point of view but I think the realities of a multiple burial scenario are going to be too difficult to actually do anything more than locate 1 person.

On another note, these transceivers don't pick up Recco signals do they?

Sorry, thought I said that in my first post and that you were disagreeing, apparently not!
snow report
With the possible exception of Cham where the PGHM are rocket ship quick getting out to incidents, by the time rescue and dog's arrive its normally to late. Most people who are dug out alive are rescued by the people they are skiing/boarding with.

Not to sure about the comment above (Personal beacons are normally used in small off piste groups) They should be used by everyone skiing/boarding off piste irrespective of the group size.

One thing most people forget to practise is the actual digging part, how ever clever your reciever is at some point you need to crack out the shovel, do not underestimate the effort and time this takes for a full burial. If anyone is skiing the back country with a plastic shovel please replace this with a metal bladed shovel as the plastic ones are cr**
snow report
adie, intend doing that this week.
ski holidays
Quote:

One thing most people forget to practise is the actual digging part, how ever clever your reciever is at some point you need to crack out the shovel, do not underestimate the effort and time this takes for a full burial. If anyone is skiing the back country with a plastic shovel please replace this with a metal bladed shovel as the plastic ones are cr**

Yep - if the target time to do the transceiver/probe search is 2 minutes (criteria used for assessing guides/instructors/mountain-leaders) then the bulk of your 15 minute target is going to be spent digging and it's here that you can potentially save the most time if you have a good plan. Getting to someone buried 1m down will require you to move about 1T of snow, so it's going to take time & effort.

Leave the probe in once you have located the victim.

Move downslope approx. 1.5x the probe-depth.

Dig inwards.

If you have more than one person, have 1 or 2 people at the front digging frantically, with the rest of the group behind them moving the snow they extract out of the way. Rotate roles when you start to tire (every minute or so).

Dig on your knees, one hand on shovel handle just above blade, the other on T-piece. Use the blade to chop out 4-sides of a block, then extract the block.
snow conditions
adie, +1

Can only refer to Tremper again; he says don't even bother calling for help till something like 30 mins into the rescue - earliest. It is certainly not the first thing to do.
He also recommends the avalung as a basic piece of rescue kit, just as important as shovel, probe and beacon.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-11-11 18:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Big Paua wrote:
adie, +1

he says don't even bother calling for help till something like 30 mins into the rescue - earliest. It is certainly not the first thing to do.

Surely, that's counter intuitive - you might just need that help as soon as it arrives.
Waiting 30mins and then ringing is pointless especially for a call that doesn't take long...even more so if you have multiple people still above, one can ring while the other searches.
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, it's gonna be 15 minutes at the very earliest earliest before help arrives, by which point you've got an 80% chance of only finding bodies. Far far better to spend that 2 minutes it'd take to make the call searching and digging for living people. Of course, if you have a few searchers, it may then make more sense to send someone to make a call - depends on the situation.[/b]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-11-11 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I think you have to take Tremper in context - he is writing primarily for real backcountry travel. If you're "just" offpiste very near to a lift and piste network and pisteurs/patrollers/local SAR then it might be a judgement call if a brief call is merited if you can describe accurately where you are and you already have the number programmed. But it wouldn't be my priority if I was the only responder.
snow report
GordonFreeman,
It is indeed counter intuitive. I think he means there are several other procedures with a higher chance of success which should be focused on and undertaken by the group before spending some of that first precious 15 mins on a telephone/radio call. It was my rough estimate that those procedures undertaken on a slope under difficult conditions would probably take a group of non-experts about 30 mins to get through.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the responses, I've opted for the Ortovox 3+, seems pretty well liked despite a couple of reported niggles and managed to get with a small discount. Got to be better than my very old F1 Focus. Need to have a play, my son will love to help me, lots of man made snow just 100m from apartment so can do some training. Got a metal shovel too to replace my old plastic one, can relegate that to clearing snow off the cars, when it turns up.
latest report
GordonFreeman, from experience of having called out Mountain Rescue a couple of times, you won't be on the phone for less than 5 minutes, probably more. They will take time to gather all the details, have you explain who you are, exactly where you are, what has happened, number of victims, etc - they have a fairly long check-list that they want to get through. It all takes time, especially if you're doing it in a foreign language. You may end up going through the whole thing more than once (e.g. once to police, then to mountain rescue centre then to local rescue team or heli base).

In an avalanche situation, you just don't have that time. You have a window of maybe 15 minutes to save someone's life and you can't afford to spend 1/3 or more of that on the phone. If you have a good-sized group and only a single victim, it might be worth one person taking the time to make the call but even then you have to ask yourself if it's worth giving up 25% (say) of your search capability for the time it takes to make the call.
snow report
Had a quick play with the 3+, all seems pretty easy to use. One question, the pouch it comes with has a small pocket containing an outer cover that you turn inside out and over the whole unit and straps. Seems a tad useless to me and just bulks up the pouch when wearing it. I'm thinking of cutting it off or have I missed the point?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, the stretchy pouch is just for storage. When wearing the trannie, it packs away into the other zippered pocket.
latest report
Two friends were buried a couple of seasons ago. Thankfully they were both pulled out alive but a few lessons can be learned from the incident. They seem relevent to the discussion above. I was not there when the incident happened.

The slide happened in trees whilst skinning up, the group had become spread out as someone had stopped to adjust a skin clip. The person at the front triggered the slide, was swept down the slope and buried. As he was leading, everyone saw what happened to him and he was quickly dug out. The person at the back of the group was also buried but no one saw this. It was only when they had finished the first rescue that they realised he was missing. The group then carried out another search but this was hampered by people's tranceivers automatically switching back to transmit. The second person was finally dug out well up slope of the first rescue. In fact he was dug out by the first victim who had managed to clip in and skin up to where the second was buried.

Watch out for tranceivers switching back to transmit during searches, it could really confuse things if you are not aware that it can happen.
latest report
Enter this debate with trepedation but fatbob + 1 : Tempers discussions are in the context of North America Back country skiing which is more akin to Ski Mountaineering than off-piste skiing in the European sense. If I'm skiing on the Icefields parkway in the Canadian rockies my car is an hours drive from the nearest phone signal; the nearest helicopter is 150km away (Canmore or Golden). So I don't carry a phone - instead I have a VHF radio (with the training to go with it to hit the repeater stations in the Rockies) but I still wouldn't spend the first 5 minutes breaking out the radio as there is no mountain rescue that could arrive in the "life window".
latest report
stevomcd,
I remember discussing this issue with my SO after our Cham offpiste trip last year, more particularly an entertaining afternoon with fellow UCPA types practising multiple burials.
We're both sailors, and have VHF licences - one part of which is teaching the standard 'mayday' message sequence, that is designed to be succinct, complete, and something that can be 'prepared' with the minimum of fuss.

wonder if something similar would be appropriate for use in emergencies; clearly, it would need to be language specific, but something like:

au secours, au secours
Avalanche
location: (either a GPS reference, map co-ords, or "cent metres norde du the last lift station"
3 personnes perdu
Une person cherchez
Assistance SVP (could be specific if required)
Au secours: Avalanche

I would expect this to take 30 seconds to say, SLOWLY, once a connection has been made - as most emergency services record incoming calls.

This way, time spent is minimised, essential info conveyed, and searching can commence.

Clearly, this assumes that the caller has a protocol to follow (so, some planning!), and knows where they are (which may be more challenging.... how many of us have followed a guide without really knowing where on the mountain we are Confused

I'd envisage having the basics stuck on a lable on the back of the phone I carry in my backpack... the phone that already has the necessary numbers loaded, and is charged... (and is too old to even be worth recycling, but lasts a week on one charge... goott love those old Nokias0

Thoughts?

h.
ski holidays
Like a lot of things in life there is not a right and wrong answer a lot depends on circumstances and even then it may not be clear what the correct action is.

The general consensus for experienced groups or led groups is to search first, call after but I would say if you have 1 victim and 3 survivors or similar ratios then one person should try and call while the other two do S&R. If you are two or three then don't leave the scene to get a signal until you are certain that you cannot find the victim on your own.

If you are touring, even in the Alps you may not get a signal, if you have turned your mobile off it may take minutes to acquire a station then a couple of attempts to get through to the rescue services. The number of times I've had four bars on reception but been unable to make a reliable call is high. As Steve says they will then want a number of details. You do know where you are don't you? Can you give a grid reference? You know how many people are actually under the slide etc etc.

However this should be offset against the size of area to be searched, the number of victims, the number of rescuers and their experience and the fact that the rescue services will be able to give the victims the best medical care and delays here can be fatal. Remember even after 15 minutes your victim is likely to be hypothermic, in shock, unconscious and maybe with broken bones or other internal injuries. You will probably not just be digging them out, patting them on the back, clipping on your skis and whizzing down to the Lievre Blanc and a beer.

The local rescue services have told me they have attended a number of avalanches where, when they arrived, a part of the buried, and now long since deceased victim, was visible on the surface. Shocked

Then of course while you are searching you have the spectators with their beacons still switched on and people skiing down search area with their beacons switched on etc. A guide I know who was radioed by the piste patrol to help with a search in the Areches a couple of years ago told me that there were so many people and the search scene was such utter chaos that only the arrival of the rescue services brought some order for a proper search to start (probe line, victim's beacon never turned on, or maybe turned off after a lunch stop?).
ski holidays
Came across this paper regarding shovelling techniques last season, which is worth a read...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/BackcountryAccess/content/papers/EdgerlyABCDiggingISSW2010v9.pdf

Video of the methods and also some good links on this page...

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/education-research/learn-about-av-safety/

A friend of mine had the dubious honour of having to dig out his instructor 10m from the piste on his first ever off piste lesson last year in Tignes, after the instructor broke off the cornice of a sink hole he skied over in flat light. The group dug him out after he managed to get one hand above the surface so they could locate him. He was buried 1-1.5m deep. They hadn't gone through the drills in the morning as it was flat light all day so the plan was they weren't going to go off piste, but decided to have a little dabble to the side of a piste on the way home at the end of the day.

After his intro in the deep end, he was still freaked out when relating the story to me that evening in the Alpaca.

In the ensuing "What happened there?" to "Some thing's wrong" to "Where the F**k did he go?" to "Oh 5hit!!!" moments he found that the group including himself became FREAKED OUT and chaos ensued.

They had difficulty with simple things like assembling their shovels and probes due to the adrenalin. The fact that it was the "Leader" of the group who was the victim decapitated the groups decision making dynamic, which could be described as trying to heard frogs on skis, until my mate morphed into the leader.

So as well as practising the search drills with transceivers it is well worth practising assembling your shovel and probes with your gloves on a few times every now and then.
ski holidays
snowgood, Holy Cow!
snow report
JaMMi wrote:
"ok guys, let's set our transceivers up : I'll take 1 ; Dave you're 2, Will you're 3, Adam 4, Sarah you're 5".

If its something someone has to set up themselves, then it can and will go wrong. But that doesn't matter, because embedding a unique code into something is dead easy, and can be done with numbers large enough that accidental duplicates are vanishingly unlikely.

Its the transmitting of that code that's the tricky bit... radio communication protocols can be exceedingly complex when they need to support multiple simultaneous transmitters (go look at the wikipedia page for CDMA if you're feeling keen). Very expensive to develop, expensive to certify, tricky to get everyone to agree on a standard so all beacons are compatible, etc etc. Its hard to see where all the money would come from; avalanche beacons don't seem like big business to me! I'm sure it'll happen, but I wouldn't want to hold my breath waiting for it.
latest report
Serriadh, already happens to some extent with the Barryvox Pulse (can communicate certain information between other Pulses). Tries to let you know if the buried victims are alive or not!
ski holidays
I'm just getting back into ski touring after a few years away, some of my gear is a little out of date. My transceiver is a pre-historic analogue set, a Pieps 3. So, I've been looking at replacements, wow are they expensive. Also the technology is moving along at quite a pace, I'm thinking would I be better off hiring? Is there anywhere in the UK that hires out the latest all singing all dancing sets like the Barryvox pulse or do they only do the basic sets like the tracker?
latest report
I'd guess the Tracker 2 or equivalent is the basic UK rental model these days. So not super bells and whistles but reliable and idiot proof ish.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
I'd guess the Tracker 2 or equivalent is the basic UK rental model these days. So not super bells and whistles but reliable and idiot proof ish.

Dunno, where I last went, the standard rental was always the Pulse.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy