Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Internet technique resource "cool wall"...

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
Interesting -so who looks the best? French & Swiss & maybe Canucks for me. Japan looked horrible, Austrians robotic ( though to be fair that was footage of some dreadful coordinated exercise rather than a free run).

Canadians for me, then Swiss. Japan looked horrible to my eye, and the Germans looked pretty dated (Yanks too). Think they only showed the synchronised display form the Austrians, which is a shame.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
.... and then there's "real" skiing Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/UUkD_iItmnw
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, sorry to follow Doug Coombs with this, what what ho...

Truly awful skiing - do not copy anything by this guy - www.youtube.com/user/skiassistant

There are some true horrors in here. This takes second place:

www.youtube.com/user/skiassistant#p/u/7/Y3hRMMQWqtM

First place has to go to his parallel turns:

www.youtube.com/user/skiassistant#p/a/u/4/zftk3t6O4_4

Strangely enough the guy is relatively young and yet his technique is, what, 8-10 years old. If not more. BASI aficionados will be able to confirm when the "basic swing" fall out of the teaching approach...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Kenny, looking at the CSIA grading videos it looks like the CSIA line is to stay parallel.

Hmm, they all have little slalom skis on easy groomers, I'm not sure they ski like that everywhere. There's a bit on the Svindal video I posted where he puts in a great big pivot but his shoulders and hips are still heading towards the camera. If he had swung his hips and shoulders round to stay squared up that would be rotation in CSIA parlance.

FlyingStantoni wrote:

On a 45-50 degree slope you'll find me both countering and whimpering. But it doesn't necessarily make it either pretty or effective...

I suspect you are right but I must admit when I saw the BASI L3 candidates struggling on the steeps the first thing I thought was 'upper body rotation this isn't going to end well'.

It's one of the many mysteries of skiing Puzzled, something to look out for this season. I have so many issues of my own I feel embarrassed debating ski technique so I will leave it to others Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Think they only showed the synchronised display form the Austrians, which is a shame.

Lots of the routines are on this channel - www.youtube.com/user/paralleldreams1
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, that skiassistant fellow is unreal! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, The Man. Probably the skier that's inspired me the most.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndAnotherThing.., misread that. For a moment I thought you meant the skiassistant inspired you the most... Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is a great thread with interesting videos!
You want to like the skiassistant bloke since he seems nice and very enthusiastic but his teaching is a bit of a train wreck. I want to turn away but can't help clicking on his other videos to see what he does next Smile .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni, LOL - Yep, Doug Coombs.

But I wondered if Mr Skiassistant is a member here......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
DB, The Man. Probably the skier that's inspired me the most.

Yes me too. I'd rather to able to ski like Doug than the robotic position perfect ski instructors (although there isn't much chance of me being able to emulate either Madeye-Smiley ). Near perfect turns on piste will help in the backcountry though. Was Doug's skiing perfect? - no. Did he sometimes use extreme counter and skarve his turns etc? - you bet. To me it's like trying to compare a top level driving instructor with a top level Formula I or rally driver. Doug had a style that no textbook could capture.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
Was Doug's skiing perfect? - no.

There is a lesson there for sure snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Who skis perfectly, all the time? I'll bet that Doug Coombs could have done bloody good short radius turns down the fall line to a demo standard any time he wanted to.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This counter stuff just confuses me - it seems that if I'm reading the thread correctly BASIoids are saying its a bad thing or at least not fashionable while others are acknowledging that out in the real world it's very necessary in certain circumstances. A case of where doing things by the book only takes you so far?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Who skis perfectly, all the time? I'll bet that Doug Coombs could have done bloody good short radius turns down the fall line to a demo standard any time he wanted to.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying skiing lessons aren't a worthwhile investment. I even said good piste skiing will help you in the back country although to be honest Horizon's other thread got me thinking - if you are only interested in skiing offpiste do you need to ski near perfect on piste turns? Even ski racers don't always ski like ski instructors (Beni Raich once got slated as he said he lost a race because he skied like an instructor Toofy Grin ).

This thread is bringing out differences even between international ski instruction methods (e.g. how much if any counter is required). At the top levels it comes down to style, opinion and small nuances. For example two alcoholic beverages (e.g. wines) can be top quality but which is better? isn't beauty in the eye of the beerholder?

.......... maybe we are all wrong and Mr Skiassitant is the man. wink
snow report
DB, It's the difference between 'input' and 'output'.

Racers, Freeriders and the others don't give a stuff what it looks like, only that it works. Very 'ouput' focused.

Instructors tend to be more 'input' focused because they and their pupils performances are judged subjectively when they ski.

It's interesting that the only module in Instructor training that is completely output focused (i.e. measured) is the timed Euro Test.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., Fair points but its not the whole story I think. If you look at the BASI L4 vids I could see who I thought looked the "best" which in my mind were the most natural and flowing candidates and this happened to correlate with the passes. So I hypothesise that without any technical criteria you could have a reasonable ski instructor technical test effectively based on speed and fluidity down given terrain.

Of course this wouldn't particualrly help candidates who need to deconstruct the elements of their technique which need most attention and similarly lots of lessons would be a bust if the key advice was to "just ski" and "look natural". So the input focus is entirely understandable and only gets to be a problem if individuals lack the ability to "zoom out" again in order to put it all together. Pole use is a good example. Mine is utterly shambolic but then whenever I see someone who has obviously worked very hard on it I get an immediate gut reaction to the robot look which discourages me from doing anything self improving with mine.
latest report
fatbob, Just making an observation rather than a judgement (!) between the two.

As you say, while trying to improve a technical element an input focus is perfectly natural. Pole planting is an interesting example, you could argue that it's a means to an end so perhaps a different way to evaluate your skill would be in how it's helping (or not) you ski a particular slope.
ski holidays
But - there's a big difference between videos of beautiful skiing, and videos which do anything useful to help us ordinary mortals ski better. That's where Fastman's videos are so good - they do go step by step. I have a Phil Smith one, which is hopeless from that point of view, though I have it on good authority that's he's an excellent teacher on the hill.

But the Fastman DVDs go on for hours and hours - and actually trying to do the stuff yourself takes a lot more hours and hours and months and years. I suspect some people looking for resources on the internet expect a pretty instant fix.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying skiing lessons aren't a worthwhile investment.
I don't think you are, but I do think that a false dichotomy has been set up between "real" skiing and "instructor" skiing. I don't believe that a distinction like that exists.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I don't think you are, but I do think that a false dichotomy has been set up between "real" skiing and "instructor" skiing. I don't believe that a distinction like that exists.

But is there a distinction between "conscious" and "unconscious" skiing? I imagine most instructors when demoing are thinking quite hard about what their skiing looks like whereas when freeskiing they might be thinking a lot more about line, external factors etc
ski holidays
Quote:

don't think you are, but I do think that a false dichotomy has been set up between "real" skiing and "instructor" skiing. I don't believe that a distinction like that exists.

In the distant past when I was doing seasons the best skiers on the hill were instructors or stagieres (sp?). Not all the instructors were the best skiers mind.

Seeing the guys and gals from the stade pick up their powder skis and head down the back bowls was a sight to behold (which also caused me to again re-evaluate how "good" I was at skiing).
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
But is there a distinction between "conscious" and "unconscious" skiing?
There might be, and for many people there probably is. I think it's better to distinguish between the context or purpose of the skiing you are doing. Are you doing a demo run so an external observer can see clearly the movements you are making? Are you skiing balls to the wall, as fast as you can through gates or down the steepest line you can imagine? Both scenarios are equally "real", just have a different purpose. One scenario might be more inspiring than the other, another might be more useful if you are trying to pick up some tips on how to improve your skiing. But at the end of the day good skiing is good skiing.
snow report
rob@rar,

So are you saying that if someone can ski like the demonstration skiers in the video that they can ski like Doug Coombs in the backcountry as the skills are exactly the same?

If you stay on the piste and are a recreational skier chances are that "real" skiing for you = "instructor" skiing. I'm not trying to deminished the important of ski instruction, just pointing out that near perfect text book moves are not always used by the best skiers (e.g. Backcountry & racers).
ski holidays
DB wrote:
So are you saying that if someone can ski like the demonstration skiers in the videothat they can ski like Doug Coombs in the backcountry as the skills are exactly the same?
No, absolutely not. There was a good reason why Coombs was a world famous skier.

But are you saying that Coombs would have been unable to ski a nice demo run of short or long radius turns because his ski skills were only suitable for extreme off-piste skiing?
latest report
DB wrote:
...just pointing out that near perfect text book moves are not always used by the best skiers (e.g. Backcountry & racers).
Has anyone said that they are?
latest report
DB, + I think the L4 vids have already established that individuals can get to quite a high std in Instructor skiing (i.e a L3 pass) and still be pretty shocking in a real world environment (e.g.nasty bumps).
snow report
fatbob wrote:
DB, + I think the L4 vids have already established that individuals can get to quite a high std in Instructor skiing (i.e a L3 pass) and still be pretty shocking in a real world environment (e.g.nasty bumps).
Are those the vids of L4 candidates where very few of them passed because they were nowhere near the standard for a pass?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
DB wrote:
So are you saying that if someone can ski like the demonstration skiers in the videothat they can ski like Doug Coombs in the backcountry as the skills are exactly the same?
No, absolutely not. There was a good reason why Coombs was a world famous skier.

But are you saying that Coombs would have been unable to ski a nice demo run of short or long radius turns because his ski skills were only suitable for extreme off-piste skiing?

I'm sure he would put in a performance that would be better than most although his short turns may have been compromised by his equipment. His skills may have also been better matched to softer conditions (e.g. as Ivica Kostelić excels in softer piste conditions). more importantly some of his skills (e.g ablitiy to skarve deep steep powder) would not be demonstrated.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 17-11-11 15:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yes those are the ones. It's a bit of an unfair call because they'd obviously reached the standard to pass on L3 bumps but I've got to say the standard they had surprised me (assuming they'd taken care of all the routine variables e.g. they were on the right kit, fit and healthy, not excessively hungover, warmed up etc)
latest report
DB, i shouldnt get involved in this but are you saying that piste skiing is somehow not "real" skiing. Your idea that instruction is all about making "moves" and specific postures and "look" is about 20 years out of date... Instruction went away from moves a long time ago and now is about instilling basic skills that people can take anywhere on the mountain.. As an example When training ski racers are honing and perfecting skills spending loads of time doing very repetitive and specific drills to obtain a skill, when in a course they use those skills that have become unconscious to allow themselves to rip the fastest line while getting thrown around by ruts, negotiating gates etc.. They dont try to hold a position or make a specific "move" same as a backcountry skier who uses his skill set to flow down the mountain, how is someone skiing skillfully down a piste any different?

anyways this thread is about technique resources not the old freeskiers vs. piste skiers (racers) argument.
snow report
DB wrote:
I'm sure he would put in a performance that would be better than most
I'm sure you are right. He was a world class skier who I'm sure could adapt his skiing to any challenge, any context, you cared to mention.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
obviously
Even that is questionable IMO, although very difficult to judge from a short video clip. Probably worth pointing out that as far as I can see nobody is saying the abilities of L4 wannabes is the same as a world class pro skier like Doug Coombs was.
ski holidays
I've gotta go but will come back to this later ......
ski holidays
fatbob, Those bumps in VD are pretty hairy and these guys are in a high stress exam situation. As you think that standard is "shocking" as an idea why dont we have someone video the upcoming SnowHeads bash in Tignes and film a few typical SH's skiing the fall line on the steep section of the Tommeuses bumps run... be an interesting comparison.. I am not being critical as there are plenty of ski instructors that suck in the bumps (me included) and loads of good recreational bumps skiers that absolutely love skiing bumps
latest report
It's interesting how this thread has morphed.

While I like to think I can ski a decent offpiste line, I have no doubt that instructors who are miles better than me on piste will also be significantly better offpiste. I've seen that once in St Anton...I was very happy with myself in the middle of a day where I felt I was skiing gracefully, fast, aggressive...when a local instructor passed me at about twice the speed and the style.
latest report
skimottaret, You know what the result would be wink And I didn't mean it as a pop at BASI standards - I'm pretty sure those bumps would be downright nasty anywhere, just an illustration of how possibly excellence in one area doesn't necessarily carry over. Anyone else think their poles seemed too long - pretty easy fix to buy some variable length poles?
snow report
fatbob wrote:
just an illustration of how possibly excellence in one area doesn't necessarily carry over.
Not an opinion I share. I think it's perfectly possibly to ski to a decent standard generally, but be weak in some contexts. But I don't think you can excel in one area but have distinct weaknesses in other areas. If you genuinely excel in one area you're a good skier, and can adapt your skiing to whatever you want. I don't think it's possible to be a great off-piste skier but be a poor on-piste skier.
snow report
rob@rar, Nonsense - ever seen Herman Maier boosting it in the superpipe? Me neither but then he's not some 8 st midget. wink Less specifically of course you're right on the general theme - being an excellent piste skier will of course help you considerably in other areas. I also think if anything the dichotomy between being a piste and off-piste skier is a false one. There are lots of occasions where skiing off piste can be considerably easier than skiing on piste. Ultimately it's all just skiing.
snow conditions
Quote:

boosting it in the superpipe

That wouldn't be skiing, it's just d**king around.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy