Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Internet technique resource "cool wall"...

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN wrote:
SkiRider wrote:
GrahamN, surely it's easier to push off a bent leg than a straight one. Similar to the move made to shift from old inside to new outside ski in most other performance levels of skiing.

Depends on the degree of bend. Clearly it's virtually impossible to jump off a straight leg, but that's not what either Lecuse or I are saying. On slopes this steep, the upper leg will be bent sufficiently that the knee is at or above the hip level, and foot out in front of hips - look at Lecluse's vid. This is an incredibly weak position, and it's much easier to jump from a position where the leg is bent about half as much - just try it.

I'm just some guy that has skied steep slopes but this and this again. Personally I've never had any tuition on skiing steeps and this is just the way I've always launched a jump turn from the upper ski. Doing it off the upper ski only involves doing a whole bunch of single-leg squats if the terrain is steep enough! You're already standing on the lower ski and it's in a better position to provide the initial momentum, the upper leg can take over and pop you through the turn as you come up into a better range of leverage. If nothing else it's less effort!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is some really good video over on epic http://www.epicski.com/t/105195/new-videos-biomechanics-learning-etc

http://www.youtube.com/user/CSIAAMSC
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice find skimottaret Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Great find I found the toolbox advanced expert interesting as I’ve done a lot of them drills but at much slower speed and the Contemporary skiing very interesting to see the different styles around the world but no English skiing styles rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BASI Trainer Mo Duffy demonstrating how to ski variable snow conditions...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150425567570588&oid=75666066624
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, Laughing

(Mo was my trainer way back when on my then L3. Looks like he's trying to emulate my efforts on the Lesse !)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni wrote:
BASI Trainer Mo Duffy demonstrating how to ski variable snow conditions...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150425567570588&oid=75666066624

Can't accuse him of being in the back seat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A really good explanation of the Eurotest and what you need to do to pass

http://youtube.com/v/UySfLLpPLno&noredirect=1#!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skifluff wrote:
would have been great to see the BASI interski team on the same run, side to side comparison with the other nations. Missed opportunity. How do people think they would stack up?

the canadians and the french were best skiers, IMO.

Also, I think it goes to show that what was being demoed was the system and not the skier, coz I cant believe that a country as populace and steeped in alpine tradition as the USA cant produce someone to demo more effective skiing than their demonstator.

Not Interski but some
BASI footage
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
some footage of L4 candidates at Tux two weeks ago... I know of at least one who passed (might have been more) can you guess which one...

http://vimeo.com/41281385
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, no idea but I am insanely jealous of them for getting those snow conditions!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, it was really good snow but plenty of bad vis days sadly... My first time to Tux but definitely not my last !!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
can you guess which one...

Hopefully someone carrying appropriate offpiste kit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, interestingly the BASI L4 course says:

The following is the obligatory minimum requirement:
 Transceiver
 Snow shovel
 Avalanche probe
 Basic first aid kit
 Small rucksack to carry all mountain safety equipment
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
fatbob, interestingly the BASI L4 course says:

The following is the obligatory minimum requirement:
 Transceiver
 Snow shovel
 Avalanche probe
 Basic first aid kit
 Small rucksack to carry all mountain safety equipment

IME, I've yet to find a 'small' rucksack that can fit all that in Wink

realistically, 30l minimum
snow conditions
feef, what sort of shovel, probe and 1st aid kit are you carrying that requires 30l? Shocked
ski holidays
that bit is a just "off the side of the piste" and is an area of farmed snow cannon snow that had been covered over by some fresh and was a good practice area for dolpin turns.. not exactly the back country of Alaska rolling eyes
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
feef, what sort of shovel, probe and 1st aid kit are you carrying that requires 30l? Shocked

Not JUST that, but I normally carry, at a minimum, another mid-layer/thin fleece, first aid kit, spare gloves, snacks and liquid.

That can quickly fill a 30l bag.
latest report
feef, I can get all that + sandwich/snack/water/thin fleece in a 15L snowpulse bag inc the cylinder!

My wife gets all that into a tiny Ortovox Freerider bag.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
feef, I can get all that + sandwich/snack/water/thin fleece in a 15L snowpulse bag inc the cylinder!

My wife gets all that into a tiny Ortovox Freerider bag.

maybe I'll leave the fondue set at home next time Wink
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
that bit is a just "off the side of the piste" and is an area of farmed snow cannon snow that had been covered over by some fresh and was a good practice area for dolpin turns.. not exactly the back country of Alaska rolling eyes

I suspected it wasn't very far off piste or even pisted somewhere underneath but was somewhat surprised its been posted as a BASI official ish video as it doesn't set a great example for those that don't have full context. Not trying to be a killjoy as I'd likely be doing the same thing in the circumstances (except more gaperly).

On a separate note if there is a "gondola dancing" assessment they all deserve to have failed wink
snow report
Some good PSIA video describing what skills you need to possess at each level, BASI take note...

https://vimeo.com/channels/l3skiing
snow report
skimottaret, you've just reminded me that there is some awesome stuff to watch and read on the CSIA site http://www.snowpro.com/en/resources/ski-tips
ski holidays
I quite like this one on how to explain left and right hand turns to beginners

http://youtube.com/v/tDnzeHxlPc4&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
one a more serious note this was posted on another thread and I thought it quite good

http://youtube.com/v/UGn62uxnhjg&feature=relmfu
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
I quite like this one on how to explain left and right hand turns to beginners

http://youtube.com/v/tDnzeHxlPc4&feature=youtu.be

So speaketh the skimastaaah
snow conditions
musher, so speaketh Mike Pow "Watched from the sidelines as skimastaah's posts become more personal in my opinion."

You're taking the p*ss mate. That's worse than becoming "more personal" *sshole, and says a great deal about your hypocritical dualism.

If you are really looking for some half decent ski-technique video clips with Darren Turner

http://youtube.com/v/IcGaXRQ7l4Q&feature=relmfu
snow report
Quote:

JF Beaulieu, no teaching going on here but you can learn a lot from watching him. Probably the most inspirational skiing on youtube

no offence, fluffy, but he's skiing short, fat skis (they are park ski's aren't they i.e. soft?) with poles that look at least 6 inchs longer than they need to be. The whole shoot looks pretty geared to getting some tight-ish carved turns on a very soft piste. I'd like to see him try the same thing with that set up on a thinly covered steeper icy piste. Want a bet he'd skid out (and probably over) in about 10 seconds?

He's got nice balance and some technique but I don't see much to learn. He's dropping his inside hand too far and 'sitting' a bit too much for me. He's getting away with it because of the conditions and the set up. He could take this all off-piste and get away with it without changing a thing which does not speak much for on-piste technique.

Nice to watch tho' ....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'd like to see him try the same thing with that set up on a thinly covered steeper icy piste. Want a bet he'd skid out (and probably over) in about 10 seconds?

I have watched JF ski injected icy pistes, crappy off piste, and everything in between. He doesn't skid out. Or over!! Inspirational skier in my opinion Very Happy
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
He could take this all off-piste and get away with it without changing a thing which does not speak much for on-piste technique.

Without watching the video (which I will), I find this an interesting comment. I thought that received wisdom was that a) good onpiste technique translates well to good offpiste technique and b) you can "get away with less" offpiste, as the variable conditions will punish bad technique more quickly.
snow report
some good Mogul skiing tips here http://www.skipresto.com/Blog/tabid/94/BlogID/4/Default.aspx
latest report
I'm sure JF can ski ice just fine, definitely one of the most impressive instructors I've seen ski. One of my friends who went to Interski with another demo team rated him as one of the best skiers there. And he's definitely not skiing park skis in that video, his upper body is pretty loose there though.

As for 'getting away with less' off piste, yes that's a little bit true, in that fore/aft balance can be a bit more difficult off piste, but also you can incline a lot more off piste, with a lot more weight on the inside ski than you would get away with on piste.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy