Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spain - Formigal v Baquiera?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I stumbled across Spain as a possible destination for this year as what I’ve read suggests quiet, well groomed pistes, cheap(er than than Alps), powder that can last a few days before being tracked out, decent lift systems and cheapest heli-skiing in Europe?! Is this all true?!!

We would be a mixed group of skiers and boarders, and of mixed ability (advanced through to beginner/in need of confidence boost on wide open blues), looking for preferably a catered chalet in early January (so far looked at Ski Miquel and Ski Inspired).

From searching around on the net it seems that the bigger two resorts in the Pyrenees are Formigal & Baquiera-Beret. Anyone experience of either of these two? Would be great to get some general comments, thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, are there lots of flats for the boarders to deal with, what is the quality of the park etc on these two places to try & get some additional info.

For info I’ve searched the forum and have some initial info from SH, just looking for more!

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fleecy, The Pyrenees are fantastic, normaly that more west, more snow, Baquira is the biggest resort, but in my world not the best, Formigal is better, in Spain also Cerler, Panticosa, and Boi Taüll is real good, in the french part of Pyrenees, Gourette, La Mongie/Bareges with the freeski mountain Pic du Midi is a good choice, , also Peyragudes is real good if the wether is Ok, then all the area is on high level,,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fleecy, Hi, i know you have not mentioned it but what about Sierra Nevada? I was there in August this year and the place is stunning. Well worth a consideration if your going to Spain and the elevation is amazing, looking down on the valley floor 3000+ metres below you is amazing!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, to ski Sierra Nevada is fantastic,, but its expensive in winter season Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
freeheelskier, really? Which bit is expensive? staying there, lift pass, hire, food/drink?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, Staying there,, food and drink,, not if I compare with french alpes, but with the Pyrenees,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
good resort for beginners long blues and reds but that's it all the good pistes are up high and not normally open but if the t bar is open to get up by the observation dome is ok off piste,

the spanish love mess so they leave there food and empty wrappers from the picnics and ciggy butts,
resort is high up and gets overcast quick, and not that expensive look at the web site google it it has alot of info

oh and a bit scary getting up to the resort as the roads are well you guess ,,,,your in spain

oh and formigal and baquiera get iccy and is windy
dont go to san isidro its in the middle of nowhere and crap
Cool Cool Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I´ve been in Baqueira , Formigal , Sierra Nevada and Soldeu-el-Tarter.
From all i would say formiga it´s the best , good skiing , lovely views , good times Smile
Sierra Nevada has one big problem: Too many people , the queus are....... well horrible!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Early Jan Baqueira should not be crowded weekdays. Weekends there can be a lot of people, but the lift system is pretty good and having cars the weekenders can choose from different access points. Park will depend on the amount of snow they've had.....this season they are putting in yet more snowmaking so that will help. Plenty of wide open blue/red runs. Flats? yup. Cheap? 7 day Baqueira lift pass is 237 Euro.....Chamonix (3 separate ski areas) is 237.5 Euro. Baqueira website has all the usual info; or the Val d'Aran homepage. If you're staying in a chalet then no worries about meals out. On-piste grub, similar to the Alps.
Have never skied Formigal but was there in Sept. Now linked with Massala(?) so more choices....looked like some flat
connections. Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac46,
Quote:

Have never skied Formigal but was there in Sept. Now linked with Massala

I have ski Formigal,, but whats the h--l is Massala,, Puzzled
About prices for skipass, Bareges/La Mongie, Grand Tourmalet pass with no limmited acces to Pic du Midi, 7days 190€ for adult Very Happy
french pyrenees skiresorts are a little cheeper,,, its make a big different for a family
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spent a lot of time in Baqueira and love it. I fancy a trip to Formigal but have not made it there as yet.

See:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1494016&highlight=baqueira#1494016

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80146# (Discounted lift tickets as part of the deal).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Humblest apologies......La Molina is linked with Masella in the province of Girona whereas Formigal is in Huesca.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mac46, La Molina/Masella, Alp 2500 in Catalonia, La Molina was opened in Februari 1943 Puzzled Great priority by General Franco in 2nd worldwar Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier, Spain was not in the second world war, as they had their own civil war a couple of years earlier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dypcdiver, Where have I say that Spain was in the war Puzzled ¨ No they had no time for that, they was busy to built skiresorts Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Great priority by General Franco in 2nd worldwar

I read it to mean Franco was in the 2nd WW
snow report
Franco - La Molina: Mussolini - Cervinia: Hitler - Garmisch: Churchill - ???? Puzzled
ski holidays
Mac46, Churchill - ???,, He was busy with to smoke cigar, drink cognac and fight the other guys wink
latest report
3 of us drove to Baquiera-Beret 2 years ago from Barcelona ,took us 3 hours and had a great laugh,i think it was about 170kms . It's pretty much one long fast road up until you reach one of the longest tunnels i've ever drove through . Up to the tunnel we had nice sunshine and beautiful deep blue mountain lakes and the only snow was the snow on the mountain tops in the distance. But then we came out of the tunnel and it was like something out of the film Narnia . 4 feet deep snow drifts all the way to Baquiera , after the tunnel the roads do get more twisty but the roads are still ok to drive on with no need for snow chains ,which you can buy from one of the petrol stations selling them for half the price that we paid to hire them from the car rental shop.
We all really liked Baquiera and will definitely go back some time .

If you smoke then stock up as you can not buy any baccy or cigarettes on the resort or surrounding shops and you'll need to take a bus down or drive down to the next town and you'll be looking for a tobacco shop

The runs were great with just a few flat spots in between but keep up the speed and you'll be fine .
ski holidays
Thanks too all those for the feedback, and the impromptu history lesson too!!

Sounds like it could be a go-er.

Does anyone have experience of the itineraries in Baquiera - I see that there are four, of varying lengths, and they look pretty appealing so any info would be great. Ie I presume that one doesn't need a guide to ski them, do they get tracked out quickly after a dump etc.

Also, anyone had any experience in the parks?

Thanks all!
ski holidays
Fleecy, I'm no park skier but it's 'ok'. There is only one, over in Beret. They did build a 1/2 pipe in the Bonagiua sector but it's not been in operation for a few seasons.

I think I've skied all of the Itineraries. No guide required but probably best to be with someone as some are fairly long with variations. They are controlled, so sometimes closed. Loads of off piste terrain so you can usually get fresh tracks pretty easy.
ski holidays
Thanks AndAnother - are you based out there, or just visited?
latest report
Fleecy, No trouble. I did a season there a few years ago and end up there most years either working or playing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'm considering a mid to late march trip to Baqueira how will the snow conditions be at this point in the season?
snow report
mickstephenson, Usually good. Can't say for sure about the coming year wink
latest report
Thanks, I'm looking into hiring a VW Caravelle, will snow chain rental be necessary?
snow report
mickstephenson, They keep the roads pretty well. There are a couple of supermarkets in the main town down the valley which will sell chains should you need them. Worse case you can catch the bus up and park the camper in the main car park in Veillha.
ski holidays
The resort promo video for this year:

http://youtube.com/v/OXacPVc5cyQ
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for that, one of the places I am considering- maybe mid to late March
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy