Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski schools, exploitative?

Poster: A snowHead
Do you think some ski schools exploit their instructors? If your contract at work had the following conditions would you think it was exploitation?:

-Only get paid for the hours you work but wont make any guarantee regarding how many hours, and wont let you work for anyone else.
-Pay you the lowest wage of all resort jobs including someone who shovels snow out of people driveways.
-Make you pay for a pass (in this instance a ski pass) that you need to do your job
-Make you pay to rent a uniform that you need to work, and then pay to dryclean it.
-Expect you to work whenever required including weekends, with no provision for a holiday, and with 1 hours notice.
-Expect you to buy all equipment you need to do your job.
-Do not provide any health insurance for their employees and expect them to pay for it whether they work or not.

these are some of the things i have experienced.

what do instructors think about their working conditions? Any particularly bad stories? Or maybe the other side of the coin and you have an excellent set up. I'd be interested to find out if my experience is the norm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That sounds about 25% as bad as the contract that Adrenaline (in Verbier) make you sign.
My son was offered a job by them and rejected it when he read the contract.

The clincher was their punishment system for any infractions, for example:
Contractually bound to answer your personal phone or call back within 1 minute of a message from HQ.
First infraction....lose 3 hours pay
Second infraction...lose 15 hours pay
Third...dismissed.

Wear any part of your uniorm after 5pm...same rules

Seen drinking alcohol at any time in uniform...same rules.

Absurd!

We checked with a few of their ex instructors and it was confirmed that these fines were regulary imposed, it seemed that it was simply a way of ensuring that staff did not get paid the full amount thus saving costs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely there's a european law somewhere against this?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its a hard life!

As ski schools know guys out there need hours to get on with their quals I think they take advantage. Because they are always going to get enough people.

Would be good for the isia to lay down some rules/guidlines so instructors don't get done over.

But there are plenty of great places to work, I think the good out weights the bad currently.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skifluff wrote:
-Only get paid for the hours you work but wont make any guarantee regarding how many hours, and wont let you work for anyone else.

Fair enough
skifluff wrote:
Pay you the lowest wage of all resort jobs including someone who shovels snow out of people driveways.

AFAIK instructors get some of the best wages in any resort - once qualified
skifluff wrote:
Make you pay for a pass (in this instance a ski pass) that you need to do your job

Rubbish - I think all schools give you a pass
skifluff wrote:
Make you pay to rent a uniform that you need to work, and then pay to dry-clean it.

Rent a ski suit ????? don't be daft. But I do get mine dry cleaner - as I do my suit when I'm working in the UK
skifluff wrote:
Expect you to work whenever required including weekends, with no provision for a holiday, and with 1 hours notice.

Yep - sound about right
skifluff wrote:
Expect you to buy all equipment you need to do your job.

So do most professions
skifluff wrote:
Do not provide any health insurance for their employees and expect them to pay for it whether they work or not.

In most countries it's normal to have you own insurance - in the UK we have the NHS - and E111 (or whatever those little cards are called)
skifluff wrote:
what do instructors think about their working conditions?

I think they are about OK
skifluff wrote:
Any particularly bad stories?

Yep when I worked for ski Europe years ago, was meant to stay for longer but walked out

Mind you Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin whoever came up with the furry jacket that the ESF in tignes had to wear a while back does need a good talking to - have you got over it yet Stewart Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not "normal" for employers to provide health insurance in the UK, though some (private sector) employers do provide it as a perk.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne wrote:
skifluff wrote:
Pay you the lowest wage of all resort jobs including someone who shovels snow out of people driveways.

AFAIK instructors get some of the best wages in any resort - once qualified

Yeah was gonna say, I'd be absolutely stunned if they got less than your average Uk seasonal worker (kitchen porter/chalet b!tch etc.)

When I was out there KP/NP'ing it regularly worked out less than £1 an hour in terms of actual salary...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
It's not "normal" for employers to provide health insurance in the UK, though some (private sector) employers do provide it as a perk.

I get it in my current job. Or will after my 3 month probation ends this week. Seems fairly common amongst people I know. Think it's because from the employer's point of view they will actually save money on it if it means they can get you back to work sooner.

When I was working in the Alps last season we had really comprehensive winter sports insurance from the company, which turned out to be very useful when I fractured a vertebra...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, maybe things in Italy are different but these are my experiences and I have no agenda (if I did I would name and shame), believe me I know many schools who do not provide a lift pass (and have worked for them), remember in small resorts there might be only one school, owned by the lift company so they get free passes, it is certainly not normal where I work!

As unbelieveable as it sounds the uniform rental is sadly true.

A patent/istd is paid well, but the British schools I know pay their L2/L3 instructors less than drivers/receptionists/waiters get per hour, and of course those other jobs will get more guaranteed hours, I do not count chalet staff as their accom-on/lift pass is paid for.

I have an e111 already and travel insurance, but the insurance in Switzerland is not equivalent to that, it is a a kind of loss of earnings insurance that is legally required to work. It is approx 160chf/month! Is it unfair to expect your employer to meet this cost?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't know where you work, but haven't experienced that in Austria. Free pass, heavily subsidised accommodation, free uniform (not to keep obv), decent wage (€1300 for a full month's work in St Anton, and €300 retainer [I think, can't remember exactly] if you have no work for a base level instructor [Saalbach is a bit less, but lessons are also cheaper for guests]), organised discounts on getting skis serviced, free meals whilst working (and sometimes organised discounts whilst not working), insurance - and with notice generally you can say if you need some time off/when you will be free to work. Arlberg Ski Schule in St Anton even had loads of transcievers/shovels/probes for instructors to borrow in their free time.

OTOH, wages are a fraction of what the ski school earns per client per hour of lesson.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-11-11 1:21; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, sounds like st anton is a good place to work, I suspected that my experiences were particular to one famous swiss resort. What is the standard of the accommodation and does 1300 euro cover you for the month?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skifluff, I've heard a few 'stories' about some ski schools in Switzerland but it's all hearsay I guess, some of the things you describe do seem a little 'out of the ordinary' but to be honest I'm not sure stuff like only being for the hours you work and having no guarantee of hours is that unusual. If the wages really were lower than any other worker in resort that would be a surprise but paying at least something towards a pass isn't that surprising and is certainly usual for part timers and some new recruits in my experience (at least until they've done enough hours to justify a ski school subsidy and haven't skedaddled after a few days with their pass). I've never had to rent a uniform on snow (have had to buy the blooming thing at a dry slope) but have known costs to be deducted from some instructors wages if said borrowed uniform is damaged badly of so soiled it needs expensive cleaning (not me I hasten to add). Where I've worked days off are allowed no problem, in fact sometimes I've had too many so what you describe would be unusual in my experience! I've always bought my own equipment, have expected to do so and don't know of anywhere where it's any different, although as instructors we do get discounts and freebies you know!

So, as I say, some things raise a slight eyebrow as you describe them but not excessively to be frank and there are plenty of ski school employers out there who are probably more generous than you describe but I wouldn't say anything apart from being paid the lowest wage in resort (if that's really verifiably true) is particularly exploitative. If you could let us know privately who your are describing though it'd be useful so we can avoid them just in case lol Wink

Yeah St Anton sounds allright ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skifluff, I've been treated very well working for Interski in Pila, travel, accommodation, food, lift pass, training, uniform and £200 a week wages for 4 hours a day.

UK, different story. Free skiing. First uniform I paid for, new uniform was free. Only paid for actual hours worked, not rostered hours. Fantastic deal on equipment. Wages barely cover the cost of getting there in fuel.
No incentive financially to improve qualifications, BASI L1 gets paid the same as L2, ISIA or Coach doesn't get any work because they get paid more so are too expensive to use.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, when you talk about the UK are you referring to where I think you're referring to?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, Yes, for a "BASI Centre of Excellence" it's not a good situation to be in. Sad
ski holidays
Hmmm, as a supposed 'members organisation' you'd have thought BASI would ensure their own members were treated reasonably and there was a clear career path with incentives to progress!

If it's any consolation I probably get a bit less per hour (certainly was last time I checked) at you know where and have to buy my uniform (although it's now subsidised 'coz I do so many hours). They do pay L1s even less though so there is an incentive to at least get L2 but there's no extra pay for extra qualis after that. I believe many dry slopes are far worse to be honest so can't complain and the ski school guys are a great bunch at you know where. In contrast though the wages and conditions at Cairngorm are absolutely excellent IMHO and the people who run the ski school very fair and great to work for and have a great bunch of regulars working for them too. Even as a part timer there I get a free uniform, all sorts of discounts (including very cheap or free tickets at other Scottish ski areas), a heavily subsided season pass (it'll be completely gratis when/if I get ISIA) and discounts for the family too on the hill as well as loads of discounts down in the valley with the season pass too. The only issue is loss of work through weather but then that's nobodys fault is it unless we blame the big man/woman/person/thing upstairs! Wink

<the_controversial_bit>Strikes me overall though most artificial slopes in the UK are relying on a lot of goodwill, some ski schools abroad are taking advantage of the fact there are a lot of L1s and 2s desperate to get their hours and up do very nicely. There are many others though who offer decent deals but perhaps not as good as they would be if there weren't a ready and if anything increasing supply of instructors keen to get their hours in (great for BASI coffers but I'm not so sure it serves the market or those who are working their way up the ladder rather than just doing it as a bit of gap fun all that well!). Personally I don't expect to make a mint (I'd be stupid to) and I've come to the decision that I'd rather do what I love for a low wage than struggle until retirement age doing something I don't like just for money. However I don't want to and can't work for starvation wages so I hope the majority of decent ski schools stay that way in the future and don't take advantage of what could become an over supply of instructors and I hope BASI are as aware of this issue as they are of their ever expanding bank account!</the_controversial_bit>
ski holidays
roga, BASI exist for one reason only, to look after themselves, to line the pockets of their own trainers. What do they do for their membership? Bugger all.

It's all about providing courses to boost their own bank balance.

I used to swim competitively, I know someone that teaches swimming, outlay one whistle and a pair of Speedo's, pay £21 per hour and they don't even get wet.

BASI have done nothing to advance the pay and conditions of their members.

I fortunately don't teach for the money as is the way with most part-time instructors in the UK. Slope operators exploit their instructors love of the sport by paying ridiculously low rates of pay.

I teach when I want to, I constantly get emails requesting that I give more time, when I get valued and paid properly for the time and investment I've made into my qualifications, I'll consider it.

Rant over.
ski holidays
Spyderman,
Quote:

ASI exist for one reason only, to look after themselves, to line the pockets of their own trainers. What do they do for their membership? bug all.

It's all about providing courses to boost their own bank balance.

You quite rightly state that BASI is a members' organisation, therefore the money in the account is technically yours and the other members. Trainers are contractors who are paid for the work they do.

If you disagree with the way the organisation is run, you can get involved by standing for a position on the Board. The AGM is coming up soon, and will give you the opportunity to air your concerns to the Board.

BASI works tirelessly to improve employment prospects of members. What I agree they have not been quite so good at, is keeping members informed about that work, and Tania will be trying to change that.
snow conditions
skifluff wrote:
clarky999, sounds like st anton is a good place to work, I suspected that my experiences were particular to one famous swiss resort. What is the standard of the accommodation and does 1300 euro cover you for the month?

€90 a month in the ski school's own building (2 to a room - bedroom and kitchen in one, ensuite bathroom, all pretty modern). Saalbach is just over €1 a night in ski school accomm.

€1300 is more than you need for a month - free lunches whilst working, so the rest is just beer money. You're not guaranteed a full month every month though.
latest report
Quote:

but paying at least something towards a pass isn't that surprising and is certainly usual for part timers and some new recruits in my experience (at least until they've done enough hours to justify a ski school subsidy and haven't skedaddled after a few days with their pass).

Really?! I'd be pretty pissed if asked to pay for a pass to use whilst teaching, in many alpine resorts that'd eat up a significant chunk of your wages (unless working the whole season). Last year I only taught one week in Saalbach, still got a free pass though. I think the ski school's are also able to cancel the pass, and probably pay nothing/next to nothing for it in the first place.

The package in St Anton was pretty ace, but the school is run like a factory, with 300-400 instructors depending on time of year. I much prefer working in Saalbach even though pay is less, working directly with the family who own and started the school.
latest report
beanie1, I'd love to have the time to stand for the board, but I don't.

I did however go to both London & B'Ham Ski Shows and visited the BASI stand in both cases, all that was on offer was someone selling BASI Insurance and another selling BASI Gap Courses.
Last year the Chairman was there along with several other board members. Progress I suppose. rolling eyes
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
Spyderman, You quite rightly state that BASI is a members' organisation, therefore the money in the account is technically yours and the other members. Trainers are contractors who are paid for the work they do.

Can I dip into 'my' money then - could do with a couple of grand for some new equipment? Very Happy

If not then surely your point is purely rhetorical!
Quote:
If you disagree with the way the organisation is run, you can get involved by standing for a position on the Board. The AGM is coming up soon, and will give you the opportunity to air your concerns to the Board.

That's rather the default answer isn't it - not everyone has the time (or confidence perhaps) to sign try for the board so perhaps the existing board could try to listen to members concerns because I'm hearing more and more rumblings of this sort!

BTW, I can't get get to the AGM because it's been scheduled for bonfire night and I have kids!
Quote:
BASI works tirelessly to improve employment prospects of members.

Shouldn't BASI be improving the *career* prospects of members? McDonalds improves employment prospects when it opens a new 'restaurant' but I can't say I'm all that impressed by minimum wage in sweatshop conditions jobs!

If BASI were keen to improve the prospects of members how about a commitment to remove, refuse or amend "BASI Centre of Excellence" status from any places in the UK that pay very low wages and/or don't encourage career progression?
Quote:
What I agree they have not been quite so good at, is keeping members informed about that work and Tania will be trying to change that.

I hope it's more successful than at Cairngorm ...

BTW, is this thread (or at least it's drift) not a very good example of why we should have a private forum - are BASI happy for us to air our dirty washing in public like this?
Spyderman wrote:
I did however go to both London & B'Ham Ski Shows and visited the BASI stand in both cases, all that was on offer was someone selling BASI Insurance and another selling BASI Gap Courses.

And there's the rub, BASI often seems like a money making machine these days and I fail to see how flooding the market at a time of recession with gap students (most of whom will simply be having a bit of fun in between school, university and 'real' work) is improving the career prospects of anyone who is serious about ski instruction as a career and progressing up the qualification ladder long term, unless of course they are ISTD and/or definitely planning to get to that level. I'll tell you what the gap courses are good for though, more money in the bank ... oh and I think we have a recurring theme here - beanie1, about that 2 grand I'd like ... Wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-11-11 18:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Last time I looked at the accounts BASI made a relatively small surplus on it's annual operating revenue, smaller than other not-for-profit organisations I've been involved with but not worryingly low. If BASI is a money-making machine I'm not sure where the money goes. It seems to me that the staff (full-time such as those in Head Office, or contractors such as BASI Trainers) are not extravagantly paid. There's a new Head Office building, but to me that's a good asset to have, and it's not as if it is located in prime real estate in the centre of London which many national organisations aspire to.

There's no doubt that getting qualified is an expensive business, especially once you get to L3, because of the wide range of modules you need to do. The actual cost of each module I think is good value for money. For example in what ski school could you book a BASI Trainer for a fortnight's full-time course, including on- and off-snow time, with a group of skiers well matched in ability and aptitude for £560? The easiest way to reduce the cost of getting qualified would be to reduce the number of courses you need to do. But this would mean that BASI qualifications are no longer recognised by ISIA. That would be an important point on which the membership should have a view: cheaper, but possibly means less employment prospects...

The question of whether or how BASI should promote its members interests is a key one. Is BASI a ski instructors' union? Should it negotiate pay and conditions of employment of behalf of members, collectively and individually? If the answer to that question is yes it needs to acquire a new set of skills/staff who are used to negotiating on behalf of employees because I don't believe it has that expertise at the moment. It probably also needs to change its charter, articles, etc. It then needs to start getting union recognition at a range of employers, some of which will be UK based but others will be global (so a new set of employment regulations to become expert in for each country in which a significant number of BASI members work). Or is BASI a professional body which is principally established to set and maintain professional standards, to admit members to the profession when they have demonstrated they meet those standards, and to represent the profession as a whole to national and international organisations concerned with professional standards. It is the latter model that BASI follows now, and if my scant understanding of its establishment in the late 1950s/early 1960s is correct, that is the reason for its establishment.
latest report
Fair points Rob although given the expansion of BASI over the last few years since the L1 qualification started I find it a bit strange with all those extra members and courses being run that they're not all that flush - did that building in Grantown really cost that much Wink

The most commonly voiced criticism of BASI that I hear, both from part-time working members, former members and members of other organisations (SSE and UK based CSIA & PSIA members) is that they are only interested in taking members money (courses being very expensive in comparison to some others and the ever expanding base of L1s provides lots of members subs) and that they don't represent the interests of members below ISTD that well. That's a perception that might be unfair and inaccurate when looking at the accounts but it is easy to come to that conclusion particularly at a slope which has had a lot of BASI L1s pitching up who are in no way ready to teach (shadowing at L1 is frankly hardly comprehensive and the rules allow this) and have to be trained up by the slope. This, certainly to an outsider, could suggest an organisation that's more interested in getting paying numbers in than actually producing instructors who can teach quality lessons to beginners. Additionally they have also recently come into contact with some of the products of the ubiquitous gap courses BASI seem so keen to promote who even at L2 seem to have had little exposure to the sorts of teaching skills that are required (some of whom apparently haven't taught independently at all), personally as a L2 non gap qualified instructor (working through the L3/ISIA modules) who has done probably more than twice the required 200 hours of independent instructing on snow and on dry I find that shall we say not a little puzzling and rather embarrassing when I'm called on by said non-members to defend the quality of what BASI is doing!

I have no problem with the number of courses BASI requires for L3, particularly given the coaching and Mountain Safety modules are stand alone qualifications in their own right, it is expensive but I want to keep developing and get as highly qualified as I can at my stage of life. Where I do have a slight issue is if people are getting signed off on lower qualifications who perhaps (if the experience of gap students I relate above is anything to go by) have little or no experience of teaching even at L2. I take the qualifications seriously and am therefore willing to pay what I consider generally to be reasonable prices, certainly when compared to equivalent training with a ski school, but I find it 'difficult' when I feel my qualification is being questioned by people outside the organisation as a result of their experience of some of the people being given 'equivalent' qualifications to me in gap type courses.

As for the union/professional body issue I don't think anyone is calling for BASI to start negotiating pay and conditions however I do think questions should be asked if BASI are giving what can only be described as a seal of approval to slopes in the UK that are apparently neither paying a decent basic wage or using their pay structure to encourage their instructors to improve their qualifications. Surely the latter can't be in the interests of either the instructors, the clients or of BASI (although I guess they still get membership fees and refresher fees)?
snow report
roga, interesting comments, and lots in there for debate. A couple of points which might be worth expanding on:

Representing non-ISTD members - I have my own views on this, but I think it might be helpful if you could go in to a bit more details, particularly what kind of representation would be helpful for those people who are working their way up the qualification pyramid (either with the intention of getting to L4 or stopping at L1, L2 or L3). What could BASI do for L1-L3 members, and what should they do?

Teaching quality - that's always a challenging issue for professional bodies who maintain qualifications. Do you think L1 and L2 should be tougher? If so, what aspects? It's worth bearing in mind that there is currently no absolute requirement for independent teaching experience prior to obtaining an L2. My first teaching experience was on a mountain with a group of 10 teenage girls, all of whom were beginners. It was a nerve-wracking start for me, but was typical perhaps of many L2s' experience? It some point everyone is going to be a first-time instructor. Should that be at L1, L2, L3? Where do you draw the line? Should the shadowing experience be different? Would ski school economics allow a pre-certified instructor to work along time a certified instructor to improve their teaching skills in a real situation and still be paid for doing it? I continue to shadow good instructors because I want to improve my teaching skills, but obviously I don't get paid for doing that, so would it be right for BASI to expect much more unpaid shadowing/supervised teaching experience before it issues the qualification?

Just one comment about pay and conditions - IMO an organisation should either get involved properly or not at all. I don't think it would make sense to grant or withhold 'Centre of Excellence' status on criteria which included how much instructors were paid or whether their pay increased with better qualifications. From a commercial point of view, how many extra paying clients do you get because you can advertise yourself as a BASI Centre of Excellence? I'd guess the answer is very close to zero.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
roga, interesting comments, and lots in there for debate. A couple of points which might be worth expanding on:

Go for it Toofy Grin
Quote:
Representing non-ISTD members - I have my own views on this, but I think it might be helpful if you could go in to a bit more details, particularly what kind of representation would be helpful for those people who are working their way up the qualification pyramid (either with the intention of getting to L4 or stopping at L1, L2 or L3). What could BASI do for L1-L3 members, and what should they do?

For one thing it would be good to have more non-ISTDs on the board - a certain Mr Rob Rees would perhaps be a start Very Happy
Quote:
Teaching quality - that's always a challenging issue for professional bodies who maintain qualifications. Do you think L1 and L2 should be tougher? If so, what aspects?

In terms of personal skiing no I don't based on where L1 and 2 were when I did them (if the level for 1 has been dropped and I'm saying it has then perhaps it should be raised but I did mine back 2008 so can't comment non where it is now) although more information from trainers about what the criteria are for the next level would I feel be useful, including clear steps needed to be taken by the student before doing a course at the next level. At the moment I think it can be a little bit wooly and a little bit unclear IMHO.

Teaching I think is a different one:
Quote:
It's worth bearing in mind that there is currently no absolute requirement for independent teaching experience prior to obtaining an L2. My first teaching experience was on a mountain with a group of 10 teenage girls, all of whom were beginners. It was a nerve-wracking start for me, but was typical perhaps of many L2s' experience? It some point everyone is going to be a first-time instructor. Should that be at L1, L2, L3? Where do you draw the line? Should the shadowing experience be different? Would ski school economics allow a pre-certified instructor to work along time a certified instructor to improve their teaching skills in a real situation and still be paid for doing it? I continue to shadow good instructors because I want to improve my teaching skills, but obviously I don't get paid for doing that, so would it be right for BASI to expect much more unpaid shadowing/supervised teaching experience before it issues the qualification?

Short answer is yes!

One of the things that's continually pointed out to me is the unsuitability of most BASI L1s to undertake any teaching at the dry slope before they've done quite a lot of 'proper' shadowing. Obviously there are exceptions in as far as some people will arrive having already taught but the majority arrive, including many with the relevant "ski school experience" to gain the full L1 who have never actually taught a lesson.

Personally I'd suggest a requirement (as is the case with anyone wishing to do a teaching PGCE) to gain some experience in a ski school prior to applying for a L1 course. This is where "ski school experience" would IMHO be relevant, be it helping out in the boot room, helping out at a bookings desk and/or spending time with qualified instructors whilst they teach lessons. With a PGCE it's something like a week or two but that's obviously very different so I'd say anything between 5 and 10 logged hours of general 'experience' with a letter signed and sent to BASI from the ski school to confirm this. After passing the L1 course I'd suggest in order to get the full qualification we should be talking in terms of proper on slope logged hours shadowing with instructors, no boot rooms or bookings desks, right in there helping and supporting with beginners lessons (I'd also make it a requirement to shadow only lessons at the level the qualification is pitched so at this stage for the hours so no saying you've shadowed when you've actually been going along to instructors coaching sessions or what not - I know people who have had stand up rows with 'my' ski school heads when they've wanted that type of activity to be included in their "ski school experience hours" and said ski school people haven't been happy doing this (but I think have eventually because all the requirement is). The subsequent comment to me was, they might have satisfied BASI but they're not ready to teach and would have to do a lot more 'proper' shadowing before we'd employ them to instruct - I personally don't think that's a satisfactory situation for a qualification that theoretically allows people to teach beginners in a controlled environment to be in, do you?

L2 would obviously follow on from this with shadowing and teaching relevant to the level of that qualification but upping the requirement at L1 would have a knock on affect.

Before my qualifications (including L1) I did extensive shadowing at the dry slope and before L2 also over in the Alps (where I had to pay for privilege) so I don't see that as an issue although it might require BASI working more closely with ski schools and slopes in the UK though but I don't see that as a bad thing - SSE and SSS already do this as far as I know, certainly SSE do very closely with some slopes. I did a fair amount of independent (paid) teaching on dry before my L2 too and there were a few others in my group who had done similar too (from Chill and Castleford as well as another dry slope IIRC).

In short I guess what I'm saying is a qualification that is supposedly aimed at producing instructors qualified to teach at artificial slopes in the UK has problems if at least some of those artificial slopes don't accept that the qualification actually produces people who can do that and as a consequence believes they need further help/tutoring/support. If it said on the box that L1 is simply a feeder qualification for L2 then I'd take a different view (bit like the old pre-assessment before doing Grade 1), but it doesn't so IMHO the qualification is, at least in part, not fit for purpose. Of course this has a history with the break down of the agreements with the HNGBs (most specifically SSE) back in 2007/8 and as I view it the L1 is a solution designed to pull people away from the old SSE pathway and into the BASI one. The SSE courses have major flaws in them (I've seen quite a few running) but because a lot of the shadowing and training is specifically looked after by the slopes themselves it does mean they have a better chance of getting what they want in terms of instructors who are actually able to teach what they want them to teach.
Quote:
Just one comment about pay and conditions - IMO an organisation should either get involved properly or not at all. I don't think it would make sense to grant or withhold 'Centre of Excellence' status on criteria which included how much instructors were paid or whether their pay increased with better qualifications. From a commercial point of view, how many extra paying clients do you get because you can advertise yourself as a ? I'd guess the answer is very close to zero.

In which case why do slopes pay BASI for the "BASI Centre of Excellence" accreditation?

I think this goes back to the issue with shadowing, pathways and BASI working more closely with slopes - if there were incentives for instructors to gain more qualifications (even if they were subsidised courses rather than more pay for more qualifications) then I feel that would be a good thing. At the moment we seem to have slopes being awarded accreditation simply because BASI can (and do) run courses there but the slopes themselves don't encourage their own instructors to gain further qualifications and BASI run the courses on a basis they could at any ski area/slope they might have little or no relationship with. To me a centre of excellence or a training slope should be fully tied into the process rather than being incidental to it!

Bottom line though is better qualified and trained instructors mean better customer experience and to me that's something that should be encouraged by BASI even if the bean counters who run some domes don't yet get it!
snow conditions
BTW, I probably haven't answered all of your questions so please do repeat them if you feel I've ducked anything Toofy Grin
latest report
roga wrote:
BTW, I probably haven't answered all of your questions so please do repeat them if you feel I've ducked anything Toofy Grin
No, that was very comprehensive, and I largely agree with what you say. Especially about the Board members wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Laughing , so don't forget to vote folks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Spyderman,
Quote:

Last year the Chairman was there along with several other board members. Progress I suppose.

There will be a report produced on the ski shows. However, in the meantime I've been told that whilst BASI Gap and Insurance products were presented on the stand, BASI dealt with a huge range of enquiries from both Members and prospective Members over and above BASIGap and Insurance. We sold Manuals, handled enquiries about qualification conversions from other systems, spoke about the traditional qualification pathway to many people and how to pursue it in the UK as well as enquiries about Member offers, updating subs, refreshers, job opportunities, events and a whole lot more across all discipline areas.
snow conditions
With regards the comments above re employment conditions, BASI is a qualification training and awarding body, not a union.

I have asked for a definition on the criteria for BASI centres of excellence.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
BASI exist for one reason only... ...to line the pockets of their own trainers.

You are having a laugh aren't you! If I accept contracts from BASI to work as a Trainer during the main winter season I essentially take a 50% pay CUT.
Now money is not the main reason I take the contracts from BASI, the work is enjoyable, challenging and it is good to give something back to the sport / help future instructors along the path to a snowy career, but a BASI course involves longer hours and more potential stress (pass/fail etc) than a week with 'regular' clients for about half the cash.

To suggest / infer that BASI exists simply to 'line our pockets' is to have little/no understanding of the whole thing.
latest report
In response to the OP:

Over the years i worked for ski schools in Scotland, Italy, USA, NZ, France. Never had guarantees of any hours (apart from Italy but then only 4 hours a day). Often (Scotland) had very 'thin' months, but then back then we did it for the fun/atmosphere/vibe/mountains.

Only place I ever paid for a pass was first season in 3V due to politics between ski school & commune.
Never had to rent a uniform, but certainly had to dry clean some at end of season.
'Expect you to work whenever required, including weekends' - yes, everywhere I have worked. Weekends in particular (for a lot of resorts these are the busy days!). But most places I worked were relatively flexible re time off outside peak times.
'Expect you to buy equipment' - yes, everywhere I have worked, but then there was always a good deal available either through teh ski school/mountain or pro form.
Have never had anyone offer health insurance as part of the deal...
latest report
After i had my shiny new badge and had completed my shadowing hours, CRB First aid etc i asked what my pay rate would be at the dry slope where i did my shadowing hours, the answer was "we don't pay part time instructors, but you can use the slope for free". I voted with my feet and drove over an hour to work at Milton Keynes where they had a pay and benefits structure.

I do fear the glut of L1's coming through wont help pay rates but statements like

Quote:

No incentive financially to improve qualifications, BASI L1 gets paid the same as L2, ISIA or Coach doesn't get any work because they get paid more so are too expensive to use.

Don't really stack up, the ISIA's employed at Hemel I believe get paid more and the ones I know of seem to get plenty of work. Nor does....

Quote:

Last year the Chairman was there along with several other board members. Progress I suppose.

I only managed one ski show this year (london) but had a long and very constructive discussion with our Chairman, sadly i just missed the CEO who was also there. Should BASI not be selling at a consumer show?

Quote:

I fortunately don't teach for the money as is the way with most part-time instructors in the UK. Slope operators exploit their instructors love of the sport by paying ridiculously low rates of pay.

I teach when I want to, I constantly get emails requesting that I give more time, when I get valued and paid properly for the time and investment I've made into my qualifications, I'll consider it.

doenst seem to jive either and just comes across as general rant against The Snow Centre along with the thread on what is a centre of excellence... nor the jibe that Trainers make all the money on courses which I have heard from several trainers they are usually paid below the going rate as per offpisteskiing's comments.

I am all for better pay for instructors but as mentioned BASI isnt a union, perhaps Spyderman instead of running for BASI office you could act on behalf of instructors for collective bargaining?
snow report
Quote:

As ski schools know guys out there need hours to get on with their quals I think they take advantage. Because they are always going to get enough people.

Would be good for the isia to lay down some rules/guidlines so instructors don't get done over.

Quote:

Often (Scotland) had very 'thin' months, but then back then we did it for the fun/atmosphere/vibe/mountains.

This is the crux of the matter, most people are not in this job to become rich, we love skiing and teaching and the lifestyle but getting qualified is an expensive business, we need hours and the schools take advantage of our passion for the sport, people still need to be able to make a living. For many people the only viable way to get to ISTD would be to take another resort job, personally dont think it should be like this. I know ISIAs working and training with a british school for their L4 (paid training!), who only got 120 hours of work least season!

BASI is not a union, that much is evident. I think the creation of a union to represent the interests of snowsport instructors would be a good thing.

clarky999, st anton does sound amazing, for reference most people where I work pay 800-1000chf/month to SHARE a room in an appartment. Lunch is not provided.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:

I went to the Birmingham show and to the basi stand. I was talking to both Tania and the young lady from Verbier (BASI Gap) – sorry if your reading this, I’ve forgotten your name -, anyway whilst I was there, there were loads of people coming onto the stand and asking about training, courses plus asking to take a brochure, etc. Tania and What-her-name rolling eyes were chatting away to loads of people.

A big problem is that when things do come up for a vote, hardly anyone bothers. Eg. The “vote” to stop the quarterly newsletters going out by post (they are mainly now on pdf on the website) was only carried through as a majority of the “76” people who voted wanted it stopped. 1,000’s of member and only 76 people voted. I used to like getting my newsletter and now it’s stopped as only the bean counters bothered voting.

This said – am I the only (non trainer) who thinks that BASI is about OK in most things. They run courses, you pass or fail, if you pass you get a badge. What’s the problem.

EDIT

I have been in basi since 1995 (got my old basi 3 with Dave Renoufe and Les Ward), and I have never put anything up for a board/members vote. Well I am going to for the next AGM (too late for this one).

I propose we re-introduce the quarterly POSTED OUT newsletters

I will contact basi soon to find out how on earth you put something up for a vote to the members.
snow report
Yeah, BASI are OK on most things. Think some courses are good value, other not so much, trainers are usually top of their game and inspiring in my experience, and BASI attempt to maintain international recognition for their members.

Dont know why we are talking about BASI, this thread was about peoples experiences working for ski schools.
ski holidays
roga wrote:
(shadowing at L1 is frankly hardly comprehensive and the rules allow this)

But isn't shadowing what you make of it? Maybe I've been lucky so far, but all my shadowing has been with instructors giving 'real' lessons to beginners and intermediates. The instructors I've shadowed have been very good at answering my questions, ie "why did you do that" or some have even asked me " What drills would you suggest next".

I do agree that there was very little emphasis on 'teaching' techniques within L1, I am lucky in that I am also a Level 1 hockey coach so have some experience of teaching methods and techniques that work/don't work.

Do some folk take a BASI course as a badge of honour with no intent to teach though?

regards,

Greg
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Do some folk take a BASI course as a badge of honour with no intent to teach though?
I did. Although to improve my skiing rather than as a collector of shiny badges. Had no intention of teaching. Somewhere along the line it all went wrong.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

I do fear the glut of L1's coming through wont help pay rates but statements like

Spyderman wrote:

Obviously with you now doing your own thing, you're out of touch with the reality. Up until recently there's been a clear differentiation of pay scale between a L1 and a L2. The L2 pay has been increased by 1p per hour and L1 rates have been raised to the same figure, thus removing any financial reward for superior qualifications.

skimottaret wrote:
the ISIA's employed at Hemel I believe get paid more and the ones I know of seem to get plenty of work.

Only pre-existing ISIA's & Coaches will keep their current pay scales, any new ones will be paid also at the L2 rate. Bookings for the more expensive instructors are being discouraged, unless the product specifically demands their services.

Spyderman wrote:

skimotteret wrote:
doenst seem to jive either and just comes across as general rant against The Snow Centre along with the thread on what is a centre of excellence... nor the jibe that Trainers make all the money on courses which I have heard from several trainers they are usually paid below the going rate as per offpisteskiing's comments.

I am all for better pay for instructors but as mentioned BASI isnt a union, perhaps Spyderman instead of running for BASI office you could act on behalf of instructors for collective bargaining?

I pay my employees very well for what they do, they work unsociable hours as I do, I value them greatly, they earn me money. If I want them to do something extra, say working a Saturday or Sunday night I'll reward them properly, so that they're happy to do it. Without incentive, why should they want to give up their free time, after all if they're working, I'm earning. Without feeling valued and properly rewarded, their loyalty will soon diminish.
I didn't or haven't mentioned the Snow Centre in any of my posts, your assumption. I also said that I'm not in a position to stand for the BASI board, nor for active on behalf of instructors for collective bargaining, perhaps you'd like to do it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy