Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My mate wants some Salomon BBR's

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the responses, ESP. flowa. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alti - dude wrote:
...Enjoyed them a lot especially given the snow we have had out there as I think they are seen more for 'proper ' snow than groomed pistes. .... I thought they were very good in the deeper stuff and ran and cornered well when I put my foot down on piste.

Perhaps one of those things that will suit certain people and their style but perhaps not others. Perhaps I'm "just a lazy Dad skier" - suspect I'm not the only one though Laughing

Think I'm another 'lazy dad skier'. I had these last week in AdH and, to be fair, I was with my kids every afternoon. But I enjoyed them more in the mornings when it was either just me and the wife or me on my own. I took them out fo the shop with some trepidation (ith a clear agreement that I could change them if I didn't like them) as the reviews I'd read were polarised. And if I'd been near the shop at the end of the first day I would have changed them. I don't know how to describe what was wrong with them except that it felt like the tip and tail were behaving differently (which is perhaps to be expected due to the shape) but also it felt like inside and outside skis rode differently in the turn. This is all no doubt due to some element of my poor technique but I don't need my skis to remind me I'm doing things wrong. In fact I'd like them to help a little.

But then a funny thing happened - I just got used to them and started to enjoy them. They gripped and carved well on piste but what impressed me most was the seemless transition from groomed to ungroomed. I don't know if I'd buy some - they didn't really excite me at any point but they were a decent ski and quite flattering, more so the worse the snow got.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I just got used to them and started to enjoy them. They gripped and carved well on piste but what impressed me most was the seemless transition from groomed to ungroomed. I don't know if I'd buy some - they didn't really excite me at any point but they were a decent ski and quite flattering, more so the worse the snow got

That fits with my experience of them as well. I liked 'em.

The main problem was, explaining to everyone what they were at the top/bottom of EVERY lift! Tried a pair out last winter, liked them. Enough to buy over something like their Enduro? Probably not, but they were good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carlos the Slackal, Enduro's..... "buy em!"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I liked the Enduro's too but they're completely different skis to the BBR's. The Enduro's are far more piste-focussed. I liked them but did find them lacking in pep for the odd foray into the park and a bit too heavy for day-to-day. Rock solid on piste but not sure I'd want them off piste. Try before you buy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flowa, Agree- different strokes for different folks and all that! I personally loved the Enduro's everywhere, except in the park of course! Shocked

Edit, didn't think much of the BBR either, they felt very light and missing on effective edge, too pivoty, almost fully rockered feeling eww! go figure!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done seasons in France, Austria, New Zealand and Chile and have spent the past 2 years living in Åre, Swedens largest ski resort.

I'm a big powder junkie who likes a bit of park/pipe. I'm currently riding on the 11/12 K2 Hellbent which is just wonderful. I took the BBR's 7.9 out for a couple of days and I thought they were fantastic. I agree they look a bit odd but after the first couple of runs I loved them. I find some of the reviews on here really comical and typical of the Ski Club of Great Britain brigade who have 1 or 2 weeks a year in the same resort in France skiing groomers and spend the rest of the time on dry slopes or ski domes back in the UK, how can you even write a review when you have only tested them at Hemel dry slope or Tamworth ski dome its a joke. The phrase laughing stock comes to mind!

I took the BBR 's all over the mountain and in all conditions. They are superb on groomers and hold up well on patchy ice. They are light and floaty in the Pow and quick in the turn, the only place these bad boys are lacking is the park, landing switch can be a bit tricky. If you ski properly these ski's will not flap. I suggest you're mistaking flap with judder when you are skiing on your heels.

I think if you actually know how to ski properly and can handle the BBR's then they would be a great addition to your arsenal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Summit61Sweden, With due respect you don't know the skiing cvs of people posting opinions here. I'm surprised if a mass market targeted do-it-all ski is really the thing for a real seasonnaire skier but maybe you're a contrast to the Scandi powder patrol regularly seen assualting slopes all over the world.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Summit61Sweden, With due respect you don't know the skiing cvs of people posting opinions here.

I dunno how much respect is due Smile

Colour me cynical, but the vast majority of super positive BBR reviews are from people who've never posted before and probably won't post again. Given that this sort of behaviour is indistinguishable from astroturfing, why should anyone trust it?

The ad hominem attacks and 'I'm so much better than you' attitude is just the icing on the cake snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I may be a self-confessed "lazy dad skier" but I take offence at the Swede's comments.

I try to ski three weeks a year and not always in France. I've even been known to stray off the 'groomers', sometimes deliberately.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm also a "lazy dad skier", and hired a pair of these (BBR 8.9 186cm - I'm 6ft4in, and about 17stone) in Morzine back in January and I absolutely loved them! I've only done about 8 weeks of skiing so am obviously not up there in the higher echelons of skiing experience (and probably technique), but they seemed to suit my style down to the ground. They just felt really secure with whatever I threw at them and seemed to help my skiing - also I loved the look of them ( which I admit is not the best reason to buy a ski.)

Seriously considering purchasing a pair as a Valentines gift to myself
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
reded78 wrote:
Seriously considering purchasing a pair as a Valentines gift to myself

You're worth it.

(as one lazy dad skier to another!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh gee thanks Higs,

Off piste intro course booked next week in Tignes so may bring the purchase forward.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, Have a look at Snoworks youtube video review of the BBRs. I think snoworks have a tie-in with Salomon but they make some pretty strong claims. Defo worth a look.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd think the snoworks review would have more credibility if they weren't clad head to toe in sponsored Salomon kit & skied a bit more like us gapers.
latest report
fatbob, I'm afraid you might be right
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/uPOE8aSRjpM

Absolutely hilarious. I mean seriously they could at least try to make it a little bit believable! The level of bias in that review was obvious, regardless of whether the skis do what the marketing campaign says that they do. It was almost like I was watching a sales pitch on the shopping channel!

I understand that we are subject to hundreds, if not thousands, of marketing signals for different products everyday but seriously that video was simply awful and doesn't reflect well on snoworks.
snow report
fatbob, I was just defending the BBR against the people who were so quick to rubbish them yet had only tried them out on dry slopes. I'm sure without any question there are people who post on here who have a wider and far more interesting skiing C.V. than myself. I tried them out for 2 days and thought they were really good as I said before I ski on k2 Hellbent which suits the kind of skiing I enjoy but I don't see why someone doing a season wouldn't buy them, maybe not in Sverige as the are 6999kr compared to £300 in England but if I had some spare cash I would buy some.

"Scandi powder patrol regularly seen assualting slopes all over the world" ???

Does this mean British people think the Swedish are bad skiers??? Smile
snow report
Not bad, just insane...

I skiied with a couple of Swedish birds (giggidy) in Val Thorens last month and they were nutters.
snow report
Skied the Salomon BBR on snow last year.
They suck donkey balls - don't believe the marketing hype (especially from the likes of snow-works who are sponsored by Salomon).

Unfocused ski - fundamentally there is far too much sidecut for something that is meant to perform in deep snow.
No rocker, clumsy big 147mm tip, weird flex pattern, turn radius way too short. No idea who they are aimed at ? But I really didn't like them... And they certainly wont make you a better or more versatile all mountain skier.

There are much better true all mountain skis from K2 / Volkl / Dyanstar / Movement etc.
To be fair some of the other skis in the Salomon line up aren't bad (Sentinel & Shogun I liked).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 16-02-12 11:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I rang S&R in Hemel about my 16 year old daughter testing some piste based skis for use on her BASI1 etc. I was rather surprised that these were one of their suggestions Shocked I won't be taking them up on that one.
latest report
Summit61Sweden wrote...

"typical of the Ski Club of Great Britain brigade who have 1 or 2 weeks a year in the same resort in France skiing groomers and spend the rest of the time on dry slopes or ski domes back in the UK"

"Does this mean British people think the Swedish are bad skiers???"

No it may have been a lesson in stereotyping! wink
snow report
It's just another ski (albeit a fugly looking beast) with a load of heavy marketing balls to try and flog it. Some people may actually enjoy skiing on it, but it's just too ugly for me to even consider testing it. If it turns out I'm missing out on the next revolution, maybe they'll make one with better graphics next season Smile
latest report
These things kind of do for the skiing world what oversized golf irons and rescue clubs did for the golfing world...they were easy to hit with less than accurate input from the golfer, miss-hits would go straighter and they brought a whole new level of enjoyment to a lot of people (maybe no bad thing). The thing about them though is even when you did hit the perfect strike you weren't rewarded with the same feedback and feel you'd have got from a "traditional iron"

The BBrs are very easy to ski, anyone can get on them, they may feel like a "game changer" to a lot of people which is fine... they don't punish lesser than accurate technique "I should know" lol! but.....they also don't give the same feedback & feel you'd get from a lot of other decent skis out there when you "do" get it right!

Buy them if you want a flattering ski or buy something else if it's more about the feedback & feeling!
snow conditions
gatecrasher, very fair review. As i said in another tread, there are few bad skis but plenty of mismatched skiers on the wrong skis. I think for the market the BBR is designed it's not a bad ski. (damn I feel dirty)
latest report
Summit61Sweden wrote:

Does this mean British people think the Swedish are bad skiers??? Smile

Not at all. In fact just the opposite. You have to get up pretty early to beat the Swedish mafia in their Norrona and Peak Performance kecks to the freshies in most resorts and it's just embarassing when someone skis past you switch telemark at mach loony.

Sorry for the continued stereotyping. We just assume any scandis who aren't great skiers are Danish. And thanks for your avalanche poodle-like contribution to skier safety wink
latest report
Has anyone seen these before? They look kinda like asymetrical BBRs, and follow the same "water-ski" thing, and they're new... They look really weird anyway.

http://www.dupraz-skis.com/infos-78-Le_shape_D2.html

I did do a search but nothing came up.
snow report
bobmcstuff, They won the ISPO brand new award. Feedback I've heard is good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
they look like icelantic shamans put though a mangle or pasta maker, depending which side of the north south divide you come form Very Happy
latest report
bobmcstuff, that's awesome 170-115-150 with a funky dual radius. They just need to make a man sized length as well.
snow report
I tried a pair of the 8.9 yresterday. Easy turn but not much rebound. Carved OK as others have said in a lazy dad fashion..

Thought they were OK in chopped up stuff but didn't get what I expected in deep snow - seemd prone to sink and dive (but maybe that's my technique!)

To be fair I asked for something for the fresh snow / side of piste and where I really stacked it was thigh deep.

Swapping back today.
latest report
Re Salomon BBRs. I was in Ellmau w/c 4 Feb this year with superb snow on piste and variable off piste. My own skis - Dynastar Troublemakers were great on piste, but I struggled to keep up with my buddies off piste, who had skis more suited to the powder/crud. One of my pals hired BBR8.9s and was extremely pleased with their performance both on and off piste. Certainly he looked good and raved about how easy to turn they were. Unfortunately (not for me!) he became ill with a chest infection and and could not ski the last day. As he could not get a refund for the unused day, he offered them to me to try. The ski shop happily adjusted them to my boots /DIN and I set off with some trepidation as they looked so odd compared to my conventional style skis. However, within one run on piste I was completely happy with them and found they held an edge well on both wide and short arcs, even on steep hard pack. As for off piste - I loved them! So easy to turn and I soon found I could relax and let the skis do the work. No trouble keeping up now. Not quite so good on tight / steep bumps, but ok. I am going to Les Arcs on 11 Mar and I am going to hire BBRs for the whole week and leave my own skis home. They do look "funny" , but the only true way to determine whether skis are suited to you is to try them. The group I will be skiing with are all strong aggressive skiers (including 2 ski instructors) so it will be interesting to see whether my initial enthusiasm is sustained.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy