Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My mate wants some Salomon BBR's

Poster: A snowHead
A very good friend of mine is thinking of buying his first pair of skis and emailed me for my views. He's normally a very sensible and rational bloke but has been seduced by these things.

He's a very good intermediate/advanced skier; 1 maybe 2 weeks a year; 25 weeks under his belt. 95% on piste.

I'm going to tell him to save his money and buy a pair of top piste skis from 10/11 season. He's not usually into kit (first skis in 20 years!) so he's not bothered about having the latest designs/topsheets.

I think this maybe the first signs of a middle-age crisis.

What do you think I should advise him?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-10-11 21:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slap him, these look to be the worst things since snowblades.

And yeah, if he skis 95% of the time on piste, he wants piste skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Salomon have a really good marketing department.

Actually I can believe they'll do quite well as they seem to pack at least 4 ideas into a single ski and look really distinctive in a bonkers french sort of way. S+R at Hemel seem to have a load of demo pairs so they're obviously expecting to go big on them - get him to go demo alongside something more traditional.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If he is a piste skier BBRs don't look to be the right thing for him. Was chatting to a lady demoing them at Tamworth yesterday (she'd spotted my snowHead fleece and said she knew a load of us from the Scottish trip earlier this year) said she thought they'd be great for powder but were hard work on the hard packed Tamworth snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw them at the ski show. First thoughts were that it would be cheaper to get some 2nd hand water skis? Toofy Grin

Either the next biggest thing or 70% off them by this time next year. Hope its the latter!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have demoed some and thought they were just alright nowt special there are much better piste skis out there
But I would of liked to have ago in chopped up snow or 3 inch of fresh snow where reports say they work really well.I agree about the look of them though just look wrong.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah i was speaking to the guys at the local shop and they were saying they're mainly for off piste as they float well apparently to quote him they're "like riding two surfboards"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ skied a demo pair of BBR last winter at Glencoe (apparently the only ones in the UK at that time).
Utter gash - though didnt have the heart to tell the Salomon Rep.
Far too much sidecut and very stiff tails on the 189cm.
Couldnt work out what, or more importantly who, they are for.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mag1882 wrote:
yeah i was speaking to the guys at the local shop and they were saying they're mainly for off piste as they float well apparently to quote him they're "like riding two surfboards"

I'd have thought more like riding two dildos.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied some during a ski test at Glos dry slope a couple of weeks ago and have to say I thought they were dire!

To be fair it was 'cr*ppy' Dendex not snow, I'm not a fan of Salomon skis and I was hitting them straight after my own FIS spec SL skis but gawd they were one of the worst skis I've tried for a long time; no feedback, way too soft (dead would be a good description) and well just totally pants in all departments ... in fact the best thing about them is probably the looks ... yeah I did say that, think about it! Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I demoed these at Hemel recently and they didn't make any impression on me at all. Apart from anything else that shade of blue just isn't me Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jzBun, yeah agree with the above...skis for benders as we say on this side of the pond...deffo look a bit namby pamby...tell him to grow some cahones and get some Sally 3vs if he's into Salomon stuff
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Salomon will be at the PSB with 40-50 pairs of skis to test. It's reasonable to assume there will be a few pairs of BBRs within that lot.

I haven't skied them yet so I clearly can't agree or disagree with the opinions above but let's face it, they're not really targeted at the domes and the dendix.

The guy who designed them also did the Xscream and the Pocket Rocket, each of which were ground breaking in their day. Of course, past performance is no guarantee... etc. but I'm looking forward to getting first hand experience of them on the mountain in Tignes next month.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive skied them at the end of last season on and off piste. The ski is fantastic for the lazy (probably) Dad skier who still wants to ski off piste and all over the mountain but with less effort. Its bouncy and has soft tails to help sink into pow and skid your turns if you need to on piste. Dont try and attack the ski as the tip digs in well but the tails wash out.

There is only one way to ski this ski and if you don't ski it that way then your going to hate it. Its the ultimate love it or hate it ski.

Only no-go is the 7.9 version. Smaller and sinks too much overal. Im not sure why Salomon bothered. (I did hear a rumour is was designed originally as the womens version but even that idea sank.)

A much better and cheaper alternative ski for the lazy style powder skiers is the Atomic Access. Similarly does all the work for you and costs £160 less.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even if these skied fantastically - and given the money back guarantee I think thats unlikely. Who in there right mind would want to ski on something that looks like the 80's K2 retro skis that can be had off eBay for £20, and which probably ski a whole lot better on piste. Whoever designed these must have been going through some sort of crisis at the time or had a ludicrous design deadline.

I'd rather ski on fruit boots -GNAR
ski holidays
I emailed him the link to this thread...

He's ordered some Missions.
snow report
Quote:

Even if these skied fantastically - and given the money back guarantee I think thats unlikely.

Surely that would be the other way round. If you offer to give someone their money back you don't expect to have to do it - otherwise why bother selling the product? Such promotions rely on no-one (or only a few) ever claiming. It's like "try me free" offers in supermarkets. Meeting the claim requirements is a bit of a faff so people don't bother/forget.
ski holidays
I think Salomon realised they made a marmite ski and so offered that if it was used as intended most people would love it and hence not want the refund, as you state. But have you ever heard of a similar offer on other skis?
snow report
lots of folk rate them on you tube.
snow report
Quote:

lots of folk rate them on you tube

But then, people who don't like them, or don't get them for free are unlikely to take the time to make a video to share their views. I skied them in Bormio in Feb and they were awful!
snow report
I've heard that even Salomon sponsored skiers who get them for nothing don't want to ski them.

They were knocking them out at the Birmingham ski show at 50% off today, they must be crap.
ski holidays
Very pointy yet pointless. Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
I saw these at Tamworth today and fell in love. I'm probably being stupid but will try them out the next time I'm there and report back. Please pray that I don't buy them as they are muchos money!
ski holidays
these do everything a normal ski does - just 50% worse!!
too soft to drive, nothing at the tail to get any power or acceleration out of the turn
can't see them lasting long as i've not spoken to anyone who's liked em once they've skied them!
latest report
jammiefreerider wrote:
Ive skied them at the end of last season on and off piste. The ski is fantastic for the lazy (probably) Dad skier who still wants to ski off piste and all over the mountain but with less effort. Its bouncy and has soft tails to help sink into pow and skid your turns if you need to on piste. Dont try and attack the ski as the tip digs in well but the tails wash out.

There is only one way to ski this ski and if you don't ski it that way then your going to hate it. Its the ultimate love it or hate it ski.

Only no-go is the 7.9 version. Smaller and sinks too much overal. Im not sure why Salomon bothered. (I did hear a rumour is was designed originally as the womens version but even that idea sank.)

A much better and cheaper alternative ski for the lazy style powder skiers is the Atomic Access. Similarly does all the work for you and costs £160 less.

Not for me at all but having skied both versions, think for those they do appeal to (older guys who grew up skiing 2ms+), reckon the 7.9 in a 179 will work for more than the 8.9.
snow report
Who cares what they ski like when they look this bad? Even their mother would think they were f.ugly
latest report
I'd have thought more like riding two dildos.[/quote]

Shocked
my missus wants some !
latest report
Tell your mate a snowhead tried them and said those BBRs are horrible in the bumps and on icy slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tried these a few days ago at the Pre-Season Bash (thanks Graham for setting up the ski test!).

I only used them on piste with some variable conditions. Didn't think much of them tbh. Not sure about the 11m turn radius either!
snow report
snow and rock are giving some away in a competition.......

a mate of mine tried them last season, his take was......lovely in soft snow (compared to skis of 5 years ago, but not compared to todays material) lack of edge grip at any reasonable speed on hard pack. don't know which of the two models he tried however.
snow conditions
interesting thread.
I tried a pair last night at the demo organised by the ski club.
I thought the BBR's were rather nice to ski: 'cornered on rails' I think I said to one guy.
However, I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on a short run on 'poor' snow (unless I wanted to spend all my time on that sort of snow!)

IMHO, skis are marketed, bought (and sold) a bit like cars - there's a mix of 'aspirational' marketing, snob value, etc, as well as practical reality.
Not everyone (maybe not even all snowheads) are throwing themselves down couloirs.....

some people will surely be enticed by their 'ease of use'.... whilst others will struggle on with their off-piste floor-boards....

to the OP - tell your friend to try some in resort - if he's a good skier, he'll work out for himself what he likes....
h.
snow report
personally i have not skied on the 8.9 but i did try the softer one and it wasn't for me, however the MD of a very large chain of ski shops (who happens to be pretty poo-poo hot on a pair of skis) thinks they are pretty good! ... and No he doesn't have to try and sell them to me, it was his honest opinion
snow conditions
Vested Intrest but here is my two cents

Bernard Kraft has form when it comes to breaking the mould and producing popular and well liked kit. Think back 12 years to the 1080 or the X -Scream and it would be intresting to see what forums where saying then about these new skis.

Have skied them both in various conditions and if I had my way a slightly stiffer 79 would be great and I think the larger one is just a little to confused. They looked after me in most conditions quite well was not overly keen on them in Bumps but on piste and off they where reasonable.

But lets remove the ski snobery /Our Head sponsorsip Smile / or perceiptions and think of the average skier that takes a holiday.There is a reason these skis have sold in big numbers this year to both shops and customer. It may be novelty or the fact that they will look good on a wall when you are done with them. But they are selling!
snow report
I'd like to see how they stack up in a ski test against other wide shovel type skis. I wonder where they may come in a ski test with say a white dot preacher and an icelantic shaman anyone skied all three wink I know it would come last in the looks department.
snow report
Sorry to dig this up from the deepest, darkest depths but did anyone who tried them at the PSB (or who has tried them) got anything to add?
snow conditions
I used them at the PSB for about 20 minutes. I didn't think they were overly bad, but didn't think they were anything special either. Cruised with them a bit, and had a go at carving and short radius turns. For a first impression, my thought was meh. Not sure about the quoted turn radius either!
latest report
I skied BBRs a bit a few weeks ago. Only on man made snow (hard, icy) and they were surprisingly good. Held edge well and carved nicely. But I don't know how much of that "goodness" was because I was very surprised that a ski looking that strange was that normal to ski Laughing
snow conditions
I skied the BBR's at the PSB and in those conditions (hard-packed piste) found them to be very flappy at the tips and totally rubbish .... they were so ridiculous, I only skied one run with them and took them back as quickly as possible.

Last week at the Cheapo Xmas Escape 11 we had fantastically variable conditions that suited my day-to-day skies perfectly for the first 5 days both on and off piste. On days 6 & 7 we were treated to massive dumps of snow and I opted to rent.

Day 6, I took these out for the freshest, lightest pow I've skied in years. I had 170's (my height is 163. I normally ski 158 Dynastar Exclusive Legends day-to-day and 180 Scott P4's in powder). How were the Lacroix Offtracker's? Pretentious? Crap? Full of themselves? Not a bit of it. They were awesome Shocked Toofy Grin Don't believe the hype about the brand, these skies ROCK! I had a smile on my face wherever we went and if I could afford them, I'd buy them in a heart beat to replace my Dynastars which are long overdue for retirement.

Day 7 and I thought I might as well take my Dynastars out to prove that I'm good enough to ski them all conditions. Well they were too short for the weight of the snow that had been falling all night at much higher temperatures. As soon as I hit centre, the tips would dive and it was all-stop - I literally had to surf the tails straightline to get down (yuck). I was miles from the shop in which I had rented the Lacroix's and was faced with a choice between 170 Pocket Rockets and 7.9 BBR's at the closest shop. I thought, "well, the conditions at the PSB weren't exactly ideal for testing the BBR's in. These should be perfect conditions, I'll give them a second chance". where's that thread how stupid can you be?

So, out I went on the BBR's and, fair enough, with the extra length the tip-dive I had had with the Dynastars was diminshed but they were still rubbish. Turn radius was so long that when trying to do a tree line I couldn't get around quickly enough to follow the line several others had enjoyed earlier that day. They are absolutely hopeless. As soon as they get near anything remotely compact, up starts the flapping again!

Maybe the Day 6 conditions would have been better for them but that goes against all the marketing hype they come with, doesn't it? It strikes me that they are a 'one snow condition' ski. Run, run, run as fast as you can ... away from them!

edits just typos - the BBR's are still crap

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 4-01-12 23:21; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
I've run with a pair for the last week or so in 3V so not the odd run here and there and took time to get used to them . Enjoyed them a lot especially given the snow we have had out there as I think they are seen more for 'proper ' snow than groomed pistes. Not sure about what you mean by "flappy" as not noticed it. I thought they were very good in the deeper stuff and ran and cornered well when I put my foot down on piste.

Talked to a couple of the local instructors about them (who i know) and there heard some good things about them.

Perhaps one of those things that will suit certain people and their style but perhaps not others. Perhaps I'm "just a lazy Dad skier" - suspect I'm not the only one though Laughing
latest report
Good point about the tips flapping.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy