Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
We were in Serre Chevalier over Christmas, the skiing was excellent. On Christmas Day the sky was blue and sunny, the pistes were empty, the lifts were running, the snow was firm and not icey - what more could one want !?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
30 cm yesterday and snowing again this morning at chantemerle apparently raining in monetier
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy New Year to all you Serre Chevalier fans.

Ski safe. We are privileged in so many ways to be able to do what we do.

Looking forward to our first trip in 2 weeks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went over to Sere today from LG was feeling very rough after a major party, bending over to take chains off was not too good.

Remarkable difference in snow cover once over the Col, for once Serre had less, though other half who was out skiing said up top was good.

Resort was very busy loads of Italians, in the Frog bar it could have been a bar in Milan!

Now back in LG but back over again tomorrow and I'll do some hiking up the south side.

Will be in Mojos at 16:00 tomorrow, Monday if anyone is around?

Bonne année
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just looked at the forecast for tomorrow could be chains again to get back over the Col!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sitting in the Grotte waiting for the Mrs to get down, then I think we're going to high tail it outta here!

Puking it down big time, not laying here, but can see it settling on the trees at around 1500m think I'm going to end up getting familiar with the chains again least this time have a couple of heavy duty poubelle sacks with me!

Going up to Tignes tomorrow but might not stay Wednesday night as flight from Grenoble is 09:55 and that will mean an early start and roads might be an issue, again!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amazing have not had to put chains on for years, and I was working it out, reckon I've been driving to the Alps on and off for over thirty years and can probably count on one hand number of times I've used chains, that said the past four years I've had snow tyres, but this trip was renting a car after flying to Grenoble.

Did get a text from a mate who is a guide in LG advising me that the Col could well be tricky, in Villeneuve the snow as I mentioned above was not settling and same true for Monetier as we drove through road was clear, then by Pont De l'Alpe, some 6km and 300m from Monetier had to put the chains on again, obvious big hint was all the cars coming back down with them on!

Over the Col was a little tricky with the wind picking up and on the other side they'd had more snow me thinks, as it was colder over this side and the snow had been laying for longer me thinks.

So what does tomorrow hold in store Puzzled

And back to the skiing, Mrs when she eventually arrived at the Grotte enjoyed the ski, even with the white out, six inches of fresh on the Casse du Boeuf and no one on it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sweet. I am looking forward to some good skiing when i get back next week. i am working for the ESS up in the Portes de Soleil this week. It was raining most of the day today in Torgon. the rain snow limit hovered around 1300m
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awoke to a lovely sunny day after yesterday's fresh snow. It had got colder, as there was black ice everywhere on the paths and road. Ruud shoe chains on the ski boots for the short walk has sorted that problem though.
It was still windy at the top, but not enough to close the Yret chair, so we headed up there, and skied down some lovely fluffy snow down to the Cucumelle chair, and up to the top of the Vallons to meet MarjMJ and OH at the Vallons chair. A bit later than planned but we finally met up and headed across to some beautiful empty pistes below Prorel and the Aguilette Chair, via the Piste du Bez, Aravet Stade, and Bois de Coqs to ski some beautiful runs through the trees, with some off-piste for the more adventurous. The back up the aiguilette and down Saludes and across to the Troll at Serre Ratier for lunch, before returning to the Vallons for the link back to Monetier.

Apart from a wee bit of ice at the bottom of the Casse du Beouf, pistes were absolutely perfect. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Omg journee de follie! Snow snow and more snow! Been up today. Terrible vision but in the trees and under the chair lifts was just awesome! 40 cm already and still snowing if your not in Serre Che or coming here more fool you! Bring on tomorrow !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

if your not in Serre Che or coming here more fool you!

Can you keep this going for a couple of weeks? Would be good if you could....!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
will certainly try!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, good work on getting some more snow in. A month today I'll be down your way for the warm up... snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sharkymark, snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Counting down the hours now til we reach Briancon on Sat. The weather looks good, this week at least. Hopefully it will continue into next - with a top up of new snow during the night if we're really lucky. Very Happy

Any updates from anyone there at present? Lifts all open? What is the off-piste like (tracked and cruddy by the time we get there I guess, but who's complaining if the sun shines)?
ski holidays
snowangel. wrote:
40 cm already and still snowing if your not in Serre Che or coming here more fool you! Bring on tomorrow !

We are off to Serre Che in the (dreaded) Feb half term for our first ever family ski hols.

All this talk of snow is very encouraging, despite the fact that our focus will be on the beginners' slopes rather than the extreme off piste! Indeed, despite our collective lack of skiing prowess it is nice to read all this stuff and be able to think "Yep, I'm off there soon...." Very Happy

chemistry
ski holidays
chemistry, have you booked lessons yet? If not, I can thoroughly recommend Ski Connections, in Villeneuve (But they colelct from other villages). Lovely people, great tuition.

Anyway, keep the sunshine coming, but also, any chance of a fresh dump at the tail end of next wek? Thanks.
latest report
Hi - Am also off to Serre Che in the dreaded half term - only week I can do - never been before but enjoyed reading stuff about it on here so giving it a try - just could do with a tad more snow - none reported for the next 2 weeks.
ski holidays
Kay, far too soon to predict with certainty that it won't snow, or even that it will.
latest report
Yep your right - just had a quick panic, still 4 weeks to go.
latest report
Kay, just arrived so at least you'll find out over the next few days what it's like now, which as Helen says, means absolutely nothing for a month hence.

For those arriving, the La Grave side of the Col du Lauteret has some hard packed snow which makes for slow going and gives you a feeling of dread especially if you've just refused winter tyres on the hire car (€20 per day!!!) and haven't got snow chains (cos we have two sets in Briancon so no rush to buy more). But, happy days, the col is completely clear and no problem at all.

It was dusk as we drove through La Grave and we experienced the temperature inversion the occurs frequently in narrow alpine valleys. We had -11 C on the valley floor but only -5 C on the Col. Briancon was about -4 when we arrived so the effect was different on this side.

Anyhow, it all looks good and snowy and the forecast for the week is for sun...we'll settle for that.

PS Bottle one of Gigondas is now dead Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks for the update - Hope you have a great holiday with fantastic skiing.
snow report
Second bottle is looking a bit sad...but justified on the back of our first day's efforts (well we think so anyhow, and you have to support the local economy...).

Skiing was great. Sunny and cold. In the morning it was -7 in the town but it varied on the hill and in the evening it was +4 in town. Pistes in great condition (bar the big piles of snow cannon snow that hadn't been spread out). The odd bit of ice too. Hope the guy who hit one such sheet on the run down from the Clot Gauthier is OK. His UK mates were with him but he seemed to have fallen in an awkward position.

The off piste was cruddy, no powder. The depth of snow was a bit less than we kinda expected after the good falls recently. Soon a top up will be needed. All the main runs to the valley were open and skiing well.

Tomorrow Montgenevre DV...

Now, where's that bottle gone?????
snow conditions
Great update, thanks!

I'm sure I saw one forecast somewhere predicting a little snow towards the end of the week. Anyone know any more on this? Would love some freshness before I get there!
ski holidays
Carlos the Slackal, Yeah Snowforecast has snow on Friday but they seem to predict snow more often than it actually arrives. But...Accuweather has precipitation at the end of the week too and so has Meteo France...so it's looking pretty likely. Hopefully we won't get stuck here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So, a belated update....got diverted to some pleasant eating and drinking last night...

Day 2 was Montgenevre and a brisk -7C to get us warmed up! Montgenevre is great and has some terrific runs. It's also a bit of a pain when you opt to go towards the Via Lattea from the Rocher de l'Aigle and have a long flat (push yourself along) section. But the cafe at the end of the flat section (sorry, can't remember the name) does a mean sambo with hot bread, mmmmm. Anyone spending a week in Serre Chevalier should take a day in Montgenevre and make sure to take in the Serre Thibaud on the northern side (and therefore facing south) with the Pharo blue....fantastically long and pure enjoyment....and for those who like it steep, the Tetras and Chaberton, plus the 3 Fourneous will keep the adrenaline flowing. Like Serre Chevalier, the snow was good, the runs in great condition but hopefully more snow to come.

Day 3 we opted for a bit of skinning. We headed up towards the Pic Blanc du Galibier but stopped after about 1hr 30 or 45 mins. Conditions not the greatest but on the south facing slopes the sun managed to overcome the very low temperatures to give us reasonably spring like conditions at the top. It was more cruddy lower down but overall it was a lovely run. Smiles on both our faces as we skied all the way back to the car.

Day 4...at the moment we are planning to get up early enough to go to Les Deux Alpes. At the moment that is....
snow conditions
Kevin Byrne, whatever you do enjoy it !! Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for update- looking forward to the next one. Hope you enjoy all the skiing, food and drink yet to come, sounds great !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are off to Puy St Vincent this weekend and just wondered if anyone had any reports on conditions there? From what I can see it's not the greatest ever and chances of snow at weekend seem to be diminishing.
I'll also pop over to Serre for a day midweek and would appreciate any advice on areas to visit and the best village to start from (will be driving from Puy).
We will be stopping in La Grave saturday night and driving over the Col sunday morning, I assume the roads ok?
Thanks
snow report
Kay,

Kay - fingers crossed for us both and hopefully we'll bump into you (not literally) when we are there.

We're travelling with one other family (also all pretty much beginners) so will be a party of 8. Staying with ClubMed.

chemistry
snow report
Carlos the Slackal,

Thanks for the advice on lessons, but (unfortunately?) the package we have booked with Club Med includes lessons for both adults and children via ESF.

I know ESF get mixed reviews, but I'm sure whether the instruction is good, bad or indifferent we'll all still have a blast. Nonetheless, we'll know for next time about Ski Connections and will keep it in the "Serre Che" file for any future trips.

More generally, once we've got this first trip done I'm sure we'll have learnt a load and be better placed to be savvy independent travellers/skiiers next time.

Thanks all for the advice Very Happy

chemistry
ski holidays
Quote:

Kay - fingers crossed for us both and hopefully we'll bump into you (not literally) when we are there.

We're travelling with one other family (also all pretty much beginners) so will be a party of 8. Staying with ClubMed.

chemistry

We are a couple travelling with another couple ( I teach which is why it has to be half term) Staying at Chantmerle in an appartment right by the lifts. I have had lessons with ESF before when we used to go when the children were young -in other resorts and we all got on Ok and enjoyed it. 3 of us having a lesson with someone from ESI Generation they seemed to have good reviews too and were helpful on the phone. Enjoying reading the reports on here about Serre Che but fingers crossed more snow will arrive before we do !!
ski holidays
Sorry - Chantemerle- typing error
latest report
A bit more current info to keep the sense of anticipation on a high....

We did get to Les Deux Alpes today though we didn't get away that early. It's about 40KM but with the state of the roads on the La Grave side it took us nearly 90 mins. But it was worth the journey to visit a new area - new for us that is.

There's nothing we can add to the info already available on Snowheads about Les Deux Alpes. Snow was good. No stones or other nasties. We enjoyed going to the top....3,400m with a temperature to match, -12C. The red and black runs in the Fée area were good and testing. Ditto with the Bellecombe Black. Especially as we obviously hadn't been down any of them previously. The black to the town (Diable 1?) wasn't bad...big and wide.

There was a bit more snow in LDA than on the Serre Chevalier side and if more snow comes they are likely to get more again than Serre Che as the front is coming from the north west I think.

philipb, we'd recommend heading up from Chantmerle...it has lots to offer but really you can move up and down the valley quite easily if you work it out. The roads should be fine...unless there is a lot more snow. We've skied Puy St. Vincent once and found it a good resort - not in the Serre Che class but good, compact and with its own character. I hope you get a bit more snow but to be honest I'm sure it will be fine next week even if nothing more falls. Enjoy.
latest report
Hey,

We are planning a 4 days visit as from next Monday 23/01 to Chantmerle for a 4 days stay.
I have a nice offer from a hotel, but I need to decide before Friday.
I doubt about choosing to go to 3 Valees, but will then have to pay more money.

What are the current snow quality conditions? Is it possible to ski until Chantmerle village?
Are most slopes just above Chantmerle open?
Even it no snow will reach Serre Chev in the coming days, will it still be ok next week then?

Thanks for the feedback.
Okin, Belgium
snow conditions
Okin, I would say the snow conditions will be fine next week even without new snow. The pistes are in good conditions now and temperatures are low so the snow will last.

I don't know about all runs to the village but the Luc Alphand is, and will be, open. It's black but very wide.

There are free buses up and down the valley...so you can travel to the other villages. But you can do that easily on ski too.

You'll have a great time...
snow conditions
Okin, I'll be the about the same time. Orange TNF trousers, black Eider jacket. Wave if you spot me! snowHead
snow conditions
Kevin Byrne wrote:

I don't know about all runs to the village but the Luc Alphand is, and will be, open. It's black but very wide.

Well it is when covered in snow - was there one year when the lower section (The Wall?) was no more than 5m side to side. An interesting challenge for some Shocked
latest report
Quote:

the lower section (The Wall?) was no more than 5m side to side. An interesting challenge for some

And great entertainment for those of us supping that first cold beer of the day at one of the bars at the foot of the piste!

"I reckon that bloke in blue's going to fall first"

"Nah, see that girl in the green up there by the pylon? She's going to go base over apex before him"

Etc, etc, etc.

Three more sleeps to go....! snowHead
latest report
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I will keep attention on the orange trousers

Concerning the black run (Luc A.) down to the village:
There is also a green alternative slope, I assume it is open?

For me not an issue cause I can handle black ones Toofy Grin , but my buddy has only indoor experience, he is pretty newbie on the real slopes, for him will the black one too heavy...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy