Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
The usual early snowfall to coincide with the Toussaints Holiday. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And yes, I know, it is early, and it might all disappear. This is the view of the Cucumelle.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, keep it coming. I always like looking at the Serre Che posts here.

I'm currently trying to decide if our holiday this year will be Montgenevre, Villeneuve or somewhere in Italy. I think I know, but need to get the right deal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, there were some good deals last winter in Villeneuve at the Grand Aigle, and another SnowHead is staying at the Hotel du Bez.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, i haven't been to the other two, so my opinion might not be the best, but when you visit a resort and you're still excited to read the snow reports two years after you've been I think it's a good sign. Definitely worth a look and on my list of "must get back there" resorts (list of three from 38 years of snow trips).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah yes....the Summer was not a great one and now all thoughts are of the good winter to come - believe me, I heard it from a postman. They always know...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kevin Byrne, we just got back from a short trip and had more settled weather than we had in July. Not even windy. The snow will be fabulous this winter, did you see how many yellow gentians there were?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, this is why I like your posts on this thread.

Flowers, the moon... so much more fun predicting the weather like that than by computer snowHead

I see there's a new area opened up in Serre Chevalier this year - Cucumelle off the Vallons chair. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing in that it once needed a hike in to???

The area looks big and still lets me get a day at Montgenevre/Claviere to visit friends there.

Just need a good deal. Crystal seem to have some good prices this year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly, it's made the piste a lot busier, but a lot of what is accessible was before, you just couldn't see it fromt he chairlift. You still need to hike up to the best bits (I'm told).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, i took a hike up to the peak above the head of the Cucamelle run, upper arrow ,and dropped to the left of the ridge. It was a 25 minute hike, the snow at the top was sastrugi and quite unpleasant, but it gave way to some truly fine pow a bit lower down. it's quite easy to navigate back to the bottom of the (old) lift passing the little village/cluster of chalets on the way down. If i did it again i would only hike up about three quarters of the way to where there was an obvious traverse line, from there i reckon you'd get to the good stuff, but wouldn't have to bother with the moonscape at the top.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, I can't take credit for the moon stuff though that was snowangel., but I am keeping a close eye on the weather around the new moons. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
shoogly, I can't take credit for the moon stuff though that was snowangel., but I am keeping a close eye on the weather around the new moons. wink
Ahhhh... so it was. me bad. you can do the flowers, and snowangel can do the moon.

Rogg, where you hiked up, is it skinnable, or more of a scamble?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, it certailnly looked more of a scramble especially last winter, when the cover was not so good. Lots of rocks, scree etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it's a really obvious and gentle bootpack, looks like this.

It was a bit 'polished' at the top, which lead to a few clenching moments. Laughing i think the traverse starts around the area where the next set of hikers are.

traverse line is roughly between the two arrows - just before the bootpack gets a bit slippy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It snowing hard in Serre Chevalier this morning. Just in time for tomorrows new moon wink.

snow conditions
Hells Bells, you know the real reason why you're in for a good season don't you Sad

And March you'll be swimming in the stuff just as I arrive with my push bike Sad

Still an outside chance I might get back on skis by then, but I'll be taking it easy Sad

Above picture this morning taken from Darrens Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/SkiSchoolApp

And Rogg - yes I think it's a bad thing, has opened up some good terrain to the masses, however you can now hike to the left off the Valons chair where you use to come down from - and if you really know your way you go over from Cucumelle and can drop down into Monetier - though the run out can be very gnarly

ski holidays
Weathercam, fingers crossed you might yet make it.
ski holidays
Looks like a bit of a stormy day (see above) .
snow report
If Snow Forecast is to be believed there will be 40cm of the pure stuff at the highest levels of the resort in the next 3 days. And hopefully it won't melt away...

Perfect dreaming for a Friday afternoon in the office...'another hard day etc...'.
snow report
Kevin Byrne, friends in Languedoc have had massive amounts of rain, and I guess this is part of the same weather front. Those fronts drifting up from the Med usually give a good dump of snow snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
The Haute Alpes seem to have been battered by rain, flooding and a lot of snow in places. We should spare a thought for those most affected - including the 2 alpinists stranded on the Grandes Jorasses near Chamonix since last week. Mudslides and dangerously swollen rivers everywhere in the southern French alps...

According to the Pistehors website there has been 3 - 4 meters of snow of snow in the eastern Queyras. Avalanche risk at its highest.

Does anyone know yet what the situation is in Serre Che?

[/url]
snow conditions
Kevin Byrne, snow line ay about 2000m i think , but not heard of any flooding, etc.
ski holidays
Pics from the Summit camera of the Bivouac de Casse restaurant and top of the Casse du Boeuf chairlift.

ski holidays
Folks - sorry to hijack the thread. Never been to Serre C. What are the good and bad things about the resort? Thinking of giving it a whirl this season. I am very good on piste and not bad off
snow conditions
Mark1863, the forum search function will provide a load of info on SC. There are quite a few "locals" and enthusiasts who have posted quite a bit of info over the last few years.

Generally, there is good skiing for all levels. Plenty of challenging on and off piste. The four major towns of SC are more traditional than many purpose built resorts, so have some charm and are not big party places, though there is life if you know where to look for it.

The last 7 years have seen some good infrastructure investment with new lifts replacing some old chairs and drags. The whole area is well connected and one gets a great sense of travel. In 5 trips, I've only ever once experienced less than good skiing down to the villages - generally a bad year everywhere though. There is good snow-making facilities covering the lower slopes to resort level.

May be easier to ask specifics - the above is very general.
snow conditions
ThanksChasseur,
Not a big apres-ski man. Assume transport between main towns is by bus free with ski lift? Sounds right down my street
ski holidays
Mark1863, yes, bus runs regularly until about 5.30, then hourly during the evening until midnight. I will put the bus timetable on the forum at some point when it is released. We used it a couple of times last year to meet up with other SnowHeads in other villages.
snow report
OMG where's my skis???????? snowHead snowHead snowHead

Pic of the Vallons de Cucumelle from the new webcam which will go online soon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, just came on to post that pic!!!

bigger here
ski holidays
shoogly, Very Happy Very Happy looks even better bigger !!!
latest report
That DOES look nice. Must go to Serre Chevalier one day...
ski holidays
That's what? 2600m or so? The pic above of top of Casse de Boeuf (updated today) is 2100 IIRC - very nice indeed.

Pedantica, do...it's a terrific place snowHead
snow report
Chasseur, top of the peak is about 2680ish, so top of lift must be a little lower. NO piste map to check
ski holidays
looking a lot better than chamonix (where i am going for my early-season action) right now
snow report
Hells Bells, so that must be about 200m lower give or take? I can picture the ridge line from the top of the Cucumelle lift towards the peak....not walked up it ever though!!
latest report
Chasseur, nor me.
latest report
Hells Bells, and if I ever did, I have a feeling I'd probably be walking back down to.... Laughing
snow conditions
Now set as wallpaper on the lappy. Happy. off to the iphone next
snow conditions
Once again the southern alps gets the best early snow Very Happy
ski holidays
According to my map of the valley col de cucumelle is 2510m and the peak is 2698m.
The hike up is not diffficult and the run down to Monetier is north facing and frequently has excellent snow I believe, though I've only done it once, itwas fairly straight forward though route finding lower down may be awkward.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy