Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Preacher Tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A lovely new set of Preachers arrived this week courtesy of Dot's Dozen and I must say that I'm really impressed with the quality, just really need it to start snowing now!

I'm going to be getting them fitted with a set of Marker Dukes and as there new skis will be getting them tuned and waxed at the same time so my question is this, what should I be asking the shop to do with regards to edge angles and tuning of the tips and tails?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I really want to go and do one of Spyderjon's lessons but living in Aberdeen I won't be able to do one anytime soon and in the meantime need to rely on the local shop and I don't think they've ever seen a Whitedot ski before.

Thanks,

Jamie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leave them as is, perhaps a wax then to tune 1° off the bottom 3° of the side.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Not quite.
Detune the tips and tails as I found them a bit grabby - way better once this was done.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitedot reccomend that you detune tip and tail. I didn't on mine and i was really happy with them as they are. I am however off to see Spyderjon in December and might experiment with de-tuning them once i've done that as if i don't like it i'll have the knowhow to fix them back to how they were.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitedot's specs stated that their skis are shipped 1,3 but that is incorrect & they're actually 1,1. I'd recommend a little sidewall trim & setting them to 1,3.

Defo no to detuning, certainly not before skiing them first as the ones I've skied from new didn't need it. If they are a bit grabby I'd still not recommend detuning as you'll never get the lost metal back. Much better to add a little more base edge angle at the contact points which allows a more progressive edge engagement but will still give you full length sharpeness once the ski is fully tipped.

My 11/12 stock arrived a couple of weeks ago & the build quality is excellent, particularly the blending of the edges of the top sheet in to the sidewall which is new for this year as previous production suffered from chipping in that area. The purple top sheet on the new Director looks especially good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any pics of the new edges?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
Whitedot's specs stated that their skis are shipped 1,3 but that is incorrect & they're actually 1,1. I'd recommend a little sidewall trim & setting them to 1,3.

Defo no to detuning, certainly not before skiing them first as the ones I've skied from new didn't need it. If they are a bit grabby I'd still not recommend detuning as you'll never get the lost metal back. Much better to add a little more base edge angle at the contact points which allows a more progressive edge engagement but will still give you full length sharpeness once the ski is fully tipped.

My 11/12 stock arrived a couple of weeks ago & the build quality is excellent, particularly the blending of the edges of the top sheet in to the sidewall which is new for this year as previous production suffered from chipping in that area. The purple top sheet on the new Director looks especially good.

In theory yes, but...
Since I'm too lazy to tune my skis myself, getting the ski shop to do this is a little harder.
I never want the metal back, I really wasn't very happy with them in their "tuned" state so never want them to be like that again. Couloir extreme is fairly miserable when the tips keep trying to hook up and you can't predicatably release the edges. I have gs skis for when I want super sharp edges and the ultimate edge grip.
A call to Whitedot and a bit of a discussion on what to do, a little time with the file on the tips and tails and they were much better.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all of the replies, I'm hoping to drop them off at the shop tomorrow so I'll have a chat with the guys there and see about getting the edge angles sorted at the same time. Not really sure which way to go with the detuning, I think I'll leave it for the moment and have a think about it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like 86 side, minus 1 base tip to tail.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy