Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland: Verbier snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
BobinCH, shame on you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fifespud wrote:

Hey Dirty I saw you at the car park about 2pm today.
I was impressed by your advanced level snow chains.

Finally back on Nendaz having been snowed in at Les Masses for 48 hours.

Hired my young lad some Atomics that were 123 underfoot. He had a fantastic day.

Light was a bit flat for my taste.

Anyhow I like Thyon.
\

Not sure what 'Advanced level chains are'? They seemed to work OK though, rescued a few people/cars along the way.

I found Thyon a bit limited. Off piste under the Trabant chair and off Etherolla were good, never made it over to Siviez though as kids were in ski school and had to get back. The kids loved the little itineraire that joins onto the main red down to Veysonnaz.

I'm on my way back to blighty now, staying near Troyes. The weather was the worst of any trip I've had but the snow was fantastic when visibility allowed us to ski. If the sun comes out next week then all you going there will have a fantastic time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mixed day I was on the Novelly chair and was first down, then went up Greppon which was badly windblown: there was no snow on the walk up to L'Etygeon. I saw Chassoure gondola was open only to find it had stopped just before I arrived at 9.45 lucky for me as it's still showing as closed at 2.00pm pity the poor dabs on it.

Did Gentiane instead it was the best I've ever seen it. Knee deep powder and very few tracks. Lets hope the get the gondola running again soon
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our last day until mid Feb'

Pistes are lovely....creamy, smooth, grippy.....all you could wish for.

Visibility was dreadful today, although patchy as on occasion it would open up for a while, but not for long.
Still snowing reasonably hard from mid-mountain. About 10cm fresh overnight.

Perhaps all the Swedes were stuck for several hours on the Chassoure bubble that taffvalais mentioned.
Off Piste was still lovely where we were, hardly anybody else going off and side piste, very considerate of them to leave it for us!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been over in Verbier a few days now running a BASI mountain safety course - think its fair to say conditions are fair to middling Happy

Monday:

A bit tracked today:

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got some good off piste yesterday. The obvious lines are very well tracked but there are still some lines if prepared to hike. Pistes are ok and sun is shining.

Resort is very quiet and no qs for lifts. Not a bad place to be!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds and looks fantastic. Flying out at 7am tomorrow. I'm sure the queues will be back on Saturday Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still plenty of soft stuff for those who seek in Verbier today, though you do have to look a bit further afield for untracked snow...

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from Verbier. Great week of skiing with plenty of fresh snow and blue skies, and no lift queues. To get any remaining powder, you're going to have to hike or skin for it. Stairway to Heaven didn;t appear to be completely skied out as of Friday. Off-piste conditions towards the end of the week were more like spring conditions on the East, South and West facing slopes, where the snow texture was dictated by the time that you skied the route (Got it wrong a couple of times and had a filling rattling experience). Evidence of snow instability in the afternoon due to the heat absorbed by rock formations......be aware!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing open above Ruinettes yesterday, but what was open was stunning. Light, creamy powder, about 60cm. Snowed on and off during the day and into the evening with the snow/rain line creeping up to 1800m or so. Dawning bright and clear this morning with the prospect of lots more opening it's going to be one hell of a day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only Chassoure open of the big 3, but that's fine by me. Lovely, slightly firm snow, I think because of the humidity. Not too many people around so easy to lap.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What Steve Sparks, said. Todays pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1960806#1960806

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any tips for skiing in poor vis other than Bruson?

It's 3 years since my last visit to Verbier and the weather this weekend looks mixed.

From past experience I know most of the decent skiing is above the tree line but I can't recall any tree skiing on the Verbier side?maybe a bit on Savoleyres but I can't remember where?

Any little nuggets welcome.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hedley wrote:
Any tips for skiing in poor vis other than Bruson?

It's 3 years since my last visit to Verbier and the weather this weekend looks mixed.

From past experience I know most of the decent skiing is above the tree line but I can't recall any tree skiing on the Verbier side?maybe a bit on Savoleyres but I can't remember where?

Any little nuggets welcome.

Plenty o trees under les ruinettes... chez dany... etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good stuff off past "playground" in poor vis.

Go past the james blunt and the speed trap, but just keep going forward when the piste turns left. You hit a path after that first pitch. Follow it to your right and just pick anything dropping off your left. Well, nearly anything, I ended up on a roof down there on friday Embarassed
latest report
hedley, La Tzoumaz has some nice trees if you traverse far right. As per JayAre, coning from La Chaux express down Verbier side you have nice trees leading down through Clambin or down to Le Chable (need to go with someone who knows the route). But the best is Vallon D'Arbi if you don't mind the traverse.
snow report
Be careful out there...massive avalanche last night from right up on the ridge, went several hundred meters all the way down to Carrefour Restaurant, took the road out and from photos looks like it almost took out the restaurant too.

No wonder the ski road down from Savolyeres was closed, and lucky, lucky were the many skiers who have been ignoring that for the last weeks.
snow conditions
rungsp, how are you fella wink I m arriving on Thurs for the weekend,it looks like the weather is closing in a bit again so im hoping there is going to be reasonable vis and no winds to shut the top lifts Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 24-01-12 23:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Despite the forecast talking about showers it's been snowing heavily since midday. Trees either side of Medran lift line were lovely this afternoon. Earlier on highway couloir was pretty special too. No one around at all.
ski holidays
hedley, have a great weekend, sadly I am not there to enjoy it.
Are you with the same gang? If so then remind me to them...a very good bunch.
latest report
rungsp, Will do.

It is the same gang more or less so it will be a good weekend all round,the snow looks fantastic, i'm just off to pack Very Happy

I will try and post a few updates whilst im out there.
latest report
Yesterday was wonderful. Despite the visibility coming and going, there was no one around. Col des gentianes was still barely tracked by late afternoon. Plenty of lovely fresh left in La Mouche and rounded the day off with some stunning snow on Bacombe.
snow report
I'm heading over this weekend for 7-9 days, new snow due now Fri-Sat, can't wait, just can't wait... bring it on!! snowHead
latest report
I'm off to Verbier on sunday29th, does anyone have an update on the snow and more importantly which bars i should test drive Toofy Grin
latest report
harryg1972, you did notice that Steve Sparks gave an update just this morning?
snow conditions
Wow! The sun came out yesterday and delivered (in combination with Seb from Powder Extreme) one of the best ski days of my life. Tortin couloir was lovely and fluffy, the bottom of rock garden sublime. And then we went backside. Straight in from the top of the deck, second couloir, far right hike and first tracks all the way from there. It was like skiing on diamonds. Just absolutely amazing. At one point there were 3 helis operating there. Snow pack was very stable so it must have been trips and falls.

All topped off by a chamois hanging around by the entrance to the lac de Cleuson. More snow over the weekend so it looks like the fun continues.
snow report
Today has been cloudy but with relatively good visibility here in Verbier.

The conditions of the piste skiing is as good as it gets,firm and grippy but no ice.

The Mont Fort bumps are relatively easy because of the good snow although I did see a couple of 40 m tumbles which could have been nasty.

And all the itineraries is also in good nick and it's very quiet on the mountain at the moment.

The forecast is for 20 + cm of fresh over the next 36 hrs so it's looking good for the weekend.

Sunday could be another powder day if it clears Cool
snow report
Dammit - I want to go back now, immediately and at once Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
L'Etygeon yesterday was glorious. Still plenty of untracked on the right and in shady spots. Amazingly still plenty of untracked easy stuff piste sides on the way back to Siviez. The wind has stripped a lot from the peaks on thevGreppon ridge, but still possible to traverse to the ridge above Combatseline and open up some lovely untracked on the way through the trees above Siviez.

Been snowing all night in Le Châble, thinking I might not bother with Verbier today and stay closer to home wink
ski holidays
Still snowing.

10 cm on the balcony Very Happy
snow report
Visibility was quite good until late morning. Tortin and Gentianes in lovely condition. Por vis led us to seek refuge in Cabane Mt Fort and ski back down via the Medran trees and lift line which was super. Still snowing.
ski holidays
Just woke up to another 10 cm of fresh. It really doesn't get much better than this.

It's clearing up and the snow has stopped now so it looks like we could have the best day of the weekend
Very Happy
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
Just woke up to another 10 cm of fresh. It really doesn't get much better than this. It's clearing up and the snow has stopped now so it looks like we could have the best day of the weekend
Very Happy

This ^^^ made my mind up to ditch the kids and head up to Verbier. Thanks Hedley Happy Pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1968147#1968147

latest report
BobinCH,
Quote:

kids
Has the new one arrived? Photos please! Toofy Grin
snow report
Best beer on middle slopes wink

ski holidays
Dawning cold and clear. Heading off to Etygeon again. Should be lovely with the few cm of fresh we got yesterday. Today's max at Mt Fort -16, and that's just a hint of what's to come later in the week.
latest report
Didn't do Etegyeon in the end. Got there a bit late and news of an avalanche in Savolyeres (no people involved) led me to save it for another day. Lovely fluffy powder everywhere. The cold temps are keeping it super, even where it's tracked it's still fluffy. Bit overcast today, but tomorrow looks like another cold bluebird day.
ski holidays
Pistes superb in cold, chalky snow. Temperatures glacial. Still good off piste
ski holidays
^^^ here's a few pics. Too cold for most it seems... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1974259#1974259

snow report
Snowing all day today, but visibility was quite OK most of the time.
Accumulation about 10cm, but windy at times so will be deeper in places where the wind has transported it.

Pistes are lovely.

Mountain is quiet! This is 1/2 Term....surely it is supposed to busier than this?
No queues, really no queues at all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy