Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland: Verbier snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Smile Everyone will be delighted that the snow has come early to Verbier,Switzerland. All the locals were predicting this. Don't miss the chance for a pre Xmas ski, we are all ready and waiting for you. Best wishes, Joyce Chris and Damo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing Yes, I was walking through 10 inches of lovely fresh snow at 1550m this morning, and it will all be gone by Tuesday. If not before. I suggest there is absolutely zero correlation between a snowfall in early October and snow on the slopes in weeks before Christmas. wink Still, it was exceptionally pretty when the sun came out, and Mont Blanc looks a lot less naked than it did two days ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A dusting in the Pyrenees, too. Although its gonna be warm and sunny all week. Crying or Very sad Good for the chillies and peppers, I guess Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
If not before. I suggest there is absolutely zero correlation between a snowfall in early October and snow on the slopes in weeks before Christmas.

There is if you have a chalet in verbier and you want income from rooms................. Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it doesn't rain the lifts will open in Verbier on the 4th November.
I say lifts it will be one or two, but thats enough to get your legs back in!

Kev
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The lads trip will be returning to Verbier after a 2 yr absence for a cheeky weekend 26th - 29th Jan Toofy Grin

Keep this thread and the snow coming wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The local farmers are saying it will be a mega cold winter, something to do with the big spiders and the birds. To be honest they are normally right.

Bring on the cold, and get the snow guns going Toofy Grin

Kev
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Televerbier have just announced that the lifts will not be opening this weekend due to a lack of snow and warm temperatures. May not be a bad thing as it looks like it's due to rain at Lacs des Vaux this weekend. Sad

At least Le Pub Mont Fort opens again on Friday, so we'll have something to do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pub Mont fort -------------ummmmmmmm Pub Food! Razz

Kev
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does Verbier get busy on Xmas day as i'm thinking of a pre goose ski? Also as i'm staying in Nyon so which is the closest/best place to ski? Thanks in advance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
deepseahoop, If you're planning on skiing in Verbier and eating Goose in Nyon you had better:

1. Be eating goose for dinner, not lunch
2. Have someone else cooking it otherwise you will be up to your knees in fat by the time you return.

Given the amount of travel involved and the limited time available, you may be better looking at somewhere in the Portes du Soleil (Morgins?) or Leysin which you can get to a bit quicker.

Or stay in Verbier and someone at Farinet Apres Ski will happily goose you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are some small ski resorts in the Jura directly behind Nyon, which are pretty close but being low down are not snowsure. You can get a train plus shuttle bus directly from Nyon to these.

Admittedly I've not tried them myself as I usually go to PdS, Flaine, Chx, Verbier, La Clusaz, Les Contamines, etc, all within an easy drive of Nyon.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not opening this weekend either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We will be ready for the big dump, as our staff have already arrived in Verbier. It means they can get all the work done before they disappear up the mountain. We are all looking forward to the start of the season and our first people arrive on 27th Nov. then we are on our way. looking forward to a great time and meeting many old and new friends. Pub Mont Fort and Coup here we come. Joyce, Chalets Unlimited
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The weather is fantastic now. This must be the longest Indian Summer I've seen. Great for finding new rock climbing routes... And to get psyched for the coming winter!!! The K2s are waiting patiently to go out and play.
I got out for a quick skin and ski October 9th, just after our first big dump. 30 cm fell on Ruinettes at 2200m and wanted to get y'all stoked with a few shots. Nothin' great, but hopefully gets the stoke going a bit...

[img]www.swissguides.com/images/snowHeads/Verbier_First_Snow1.jpg[/img]
climbing out of Verbier

[img]www.swissguides.com/images/snowHeads/Verbier_First_Snow2.jpg[/img]
Looking across to the the Grand Combin from Ruinettes. Looks like winter!!!

[img]www.swissguides.com/images/snowHeads/Verbier_First_Snow3.jpg[/img]
Skin and ski tracks. Sorry about the low quality. I was alone son didn't get any movement. Soon!!!
ski holidays
Well, at least it's got cold enough to blow at Lacs des Vaux....

http://www.verbier-photo-video.ch/gallery/webtv.php?lang_id=undefined380
snow report
I am trying to find the GFS Charts for Nendaz and Verbier without any luck (the old links I have saved have stopped working Sad ) - can someone assist?

Many thanks. snowHead
latest report
pam w wrote:
Laughing Yes, I was walking through 10 inches of lovely fresh snow at 1550m this morning, and it will all be gone by Tuesday. If not before. I suggest there is absolutely zero correlation between a snowfall in early October and snow on the slopes in weeks before Christmas. wink Still, it was exceptionally pretty when the sun came out, and Mont Blanc looks a lot less naked than it did two days ago.

I think this post by Pam W is one of the most accurate I have seen on here. I wish she was wrong as our first tenants arrive at val thorens on the second week December and I am starting to get nervous.
snow conditions
1556garyt, http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png should do you. Not been great viewing of recent, but starting to look better.
snow report
Lac des Vaux opening this Saturday. They've made a shed load of artificial over the last week.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 23-11-11 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Steve Sparks wrote:
Lax des Vaux opening this Saturday. They've made a shed load of artificial over the last week.

But all of the ski schools are heading up so its going to be busy...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website Karting Extreme Verbier
Blog KEV's Blog
Facebook Follow us on Facebook
snow report
For the moment you can only ski at Lac des Vaux, but there are no queues on week days. I completed 16 runs over a period of 2 hours today, including time for a lunch break. Even if the skiing was a bit limited, it's still nice to "have the whole place to yourself".

Edited (changed pic to thumb) after reading the forum rules.
ski holidays
The picture is reminiscent of skiing in the Cheviots. Snow apparently forecast for early next week ?
snow report
According to MeteoSuisse there will be intermittent showers on Friday, Sat, Sun, Tue, Wed. Monday should bring heavier rainfall. We should get anywhere from 20-40 cms of snow with the snow/rain limit varying from 800 to 1500 meters. MeteoFrance's bulletin even goes one step further predicting that the intermittent showers will continue throughout the better part of next week in the north eastern part of the French alps (e.g. Chamonix). Generally speaking, their medium to long term models tend to be quite accurate... I'll try to get some pictures on Sunday.
snow conditions
I've uploaded some more pictures, so that we see what it's like before and after the upcoming snowfall. These were taken on Nov 30th.

Lac des Vaux:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/img0572private.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/img0574private.jpg/

Looking down towards Les Ruinettes:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/img0568private.jpg/
snow conditions
Anyone skiing Lac de Vaux today? Thinking of heading up tomorrow for a first slide of the season...
snow report
BobinCH, Went up about 1330 and had great fun. It was quite busy to start with, with quite a few teaching groups but after about 3ish quietened down and we had it pretty much to ourselves. There was a bit of fresh on top of good artificial. Some firm spots in places, and it's only the main red that's open. Both the black and the blue would require old skis.
ski holidays
Thanks Steve Sparks

Here's some pics from today http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82986&highlight=

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for the pic. I didn't get to go myself after all.
snow conditions
iBob has posted links to Warren Smith's videos from the 5th December 2011: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83032

Looking good for my trip this weekend.
snow conditions
For those intetested, you can find an excellent report in the link below on the current conditions at Verbier. I suspect we will see the Attelas->Ruinettes runs opening soon.

http://www.verbinet.com/reports/snow/weekend-of-skiing-with-more-snow-forecast-:-4th-december-2011.html
snow report
I went up to Verbier today as they opened the runs from Attelas to Ruinettes as well as La Chaux. It was sunny and rather warm. The snow coverage at the moment is adequate, but numerous rock patches have begun to appear in certain spots. If you go tomorrow I recommend that you take your rock skis.

This is looking towards La Chaux from Fontenay (Mont-Fort seen in the distant background towards the right).

These are pictures of the run down from Attelas:

snow conditions
Verbier off piste is open for business. Some pics here... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1920468#1920468

snow report
It's looking quite snowy & sounding quite windy today. It'll be like home from home Cool ...

http://youtube.com/v/w0Njzqyd5TI
snow report
If anyone up there gets some intel on whether anything will be open tomorrow please advise. Tks Bob
ski holidays
According to Televerbier, confirmed closed tomorrow morning. No decision yet for the afternoon but sounded unlikely.
ski holidays
This is the latest from the Commune de Bagnes at 1700 CET today.

Roads closed and areas partly evacuated
The heavy snowfall dumping the last hours and the strong winds in altitude have highly increased the avalanche risk, that is now at 4 on 5.
The Bagnes local authority has decided to evacuate some of the red zones of avalanche danger located at Chemin des Luis, at Mayen du Bry and at Mayen du Clou. The following roads are closed until further notice:
For Verbier:
• Chemin des Luys, upstream N°23
• Route du Golf upstream the snow deposit
• Route de La Marlénaz upstream Sonalon and downstream towards Route du Golf; a diversion to the Sonalon neighborhood via chemin de Nifortsié is in place.

For the Haut Val de Bagnes:
• Route du Mayen du Revers. The diversion through the tunnel is in place
All the hiking itineraries above Verbier are closed. Thank you for respecting the notices of closure and safety advices.

Snow chains are mandatory to drive up to Verbier.

Getting pretty hairy up there. Going to be scary for quite a while to come, going to take quite some time for this to stabilise.
snow report
Check this out that i have found!!!

http://www.powder-extreme.com/extreme/index.php
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, That's Felix Tanguay, awesome skier, super bloke and great coach.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, LOL @ blog about resorting to skiing in the roads. I guessed as much from looking at the cams today that there was no way anything could open but have my doubts that much will be happening even by Sunday. Could well be sliding & skinning in the streets too ... if I arrive at all.

Any other snowheads heading there tomorrow ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy