Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Sweet pics Mag Seven
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well well well, it seems at least for a day or two, the snow is relenting! We still haven't had a day without snowfall since mid December, but it may well happen tomorrow or Friday. After the ridiculous amounts we've received, the sun came out yesterday and I went out for a little tour in the hills behind my town.

Skinning around a dry lake bed to reach some mellow hills for some turns.
IMG_1437

Was actually really nice to see blue sky, the trees were all covered in snow. It was a beautiful morning.
IMG_1440

With a load of snow, and Hipstamatic, even a toilet block can look picturesque!
IMG_1443

Don't worry though, it looks like after a couple of clear days, normal service will be resumed Saturday, with more decent snowfalls over the weekend. For now, I'm thankful for the break from shovelling snow!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can anyone tell me when the Mizuno no Sawa Programme runs and is the 10 min lecture in English or Japanese???
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, it's at 930 and 1230 daily. In Japanese but haphazardly translated. It doesn't say much so language is kinda irrelevant. They're talking about opening it up more generally at the end of Jan so you don't have to go through with ski patrol.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thebongolian, daily? That's curious! I told it was ever week or so when I was in Niseko last Feb. Probably a language barrier thing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thebongolian, Cheers!! Where is best to check if the new rules come in at end of jan???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, definitely daily I've been through three times in the last week.

kitenski, I think you'll still need to do the lecture to be allowed in so just rock up to the old gondola station at 9:30 or 12:30 to find out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I told you it snowed alot. My town made the BBC News!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/16599168

(Although they made a mistake about the Sapporo Snow Festival, it doesn't start till next month!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mag Seven, nice pics

Been enjoying the sunshine in Niseko too for the past two days. Fear not snow is forecast to return at the weekend. And if you poke around there's still untracked to be found. Sadly though a layer of surface hoar has formed which could make things interesting in the backcountry...

John finds an untracked spot in Hanozono

Me skiing on Higashi-one in front of Yotei © John Downing

Some more Hanozono untracked Ja-pow-pow © John Downing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love the second pic. Sugoi
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, some hardcore photoslutting was involved in all those photos...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thebongolian, I get "This photo is currently unavailable" for all your pics posted yesterday???
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, hmmm. Think flickr may limit the number of times you can link to a photo. You look at them directly here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suspect flickr gets blocked by some corporate firewalls as I couldn't see those pics either when at work today. It was worth the wait though. Great pics.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slovakia has been goo so far and i have had loads of fun so far but from the pics japan is mental.

WOW THAT IS A LOT OF SNOW.
snow report
Wow, thebongolian, great photos, especially the one with Yotei in the background!

This morning the weather was so nice. Clear blue skies and cold. I was driving across the Ishikari river valley and borrowed my wife's SLR to try and take some photos of the mountains around Sorachi district. I'm not a photographer, and was just taking pictures from the road (hence the seemingly ever present power cables!)

Mt Pinneshiri and Kamuishiri from the road
IMG_2580

Shokanbetsu-dake. This is close to the west coast, and gets a ton of snow. I hiked up with skis back at the beginning of July last year, and managed to make a few turns. With the amount of snow so far this winter, there could well be snow up in some gullys up there through the summer.
IMG_2588

Mt Byobu
IMG_2587

Mt Yubari from across the valley in Tsukigata
IMG_2598

Going to hit the local hill tonight for some snowboarding. Then possibly Mt Racey on Saturday and definitely Teine on Sunday. Looks like snow should be starting again tomorrow afternoon.
snow conditions
Some nice video from Hakuba, linky here http://japanskiexperience.com/2012/01/somewhere-in-hakuba/

Somewhere in Hakuba.. from Sean Thompson
http://vimeo.com/35125389
snow report
Another sunny day in Niseko so I dropped off the back of Annapuri and went for a hike in the backcountry. Nothing big: just a gentle climb up Iwanopuri trying to figure out whether I'd made the true peak, then a ski down to Goshiki for an onsen then back up and over the ridge to ski into Niseko Annapuri. The skiing was pretty sucky. Lots of untracked but mostly surface hoar, wind crust and sastrugi with the odd small patch of powder. The scenery was spectacular with views to the sea in the north, west and south. And lots of snowy mountains to climb and ski... You could even see out over Lake Toya to Mount Usu and Showa-Shinsan spewing steam into the atmosphere.

Tracks down the backside of Annapuri

Skiers and snowboarders on a spur of Iwanopuri - Mount Mekkunai and Mount Raiden in the distance

Looking down to Goshiki-onsen

Mount Usu and Showa-Shinsan

MagSeven, from Tuesday next week I'm going to have a car and am planning to head up your way with ChrisWo. Thinking of hitting Kamui, Furano, Asahidake. Possibly going for a tour at Tokachidake if the weather's good and Chris is up for it. And Tomamu's a possibility too. Anywhere else you'd recommend hitting? And fancy meeting up for a ski if you're around?
latest report
Great pics magseven.

Interested to hear what shape Racey is in.
snow conditions
Sweet pics thebongolian.

The snow might be average there at the moment (the gully off the back is where the better conditions are), but you're very lucky to get the sunshine and views at this time of year.

Looks like normal service is resuming some time today.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 21-01-12 7:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
thebongolian, nice pics, is that all out of a gate stuff and did you need your skins?
latest report
Mike Pow, thanks. There looked to be some nice stuff on north and north-east aspects. Didn't want to hit those sides yesterday but hopefully enough people will have to break up the surface hoar. Really lucky to have a sunny, low-risk day to get into the BC and figure out the lay of the land and plug some key points into my GPS.

kitenski, it's all out of the gates. The lines in the first pic are off the peak so no skins needed if you don't drop too low to traverse back into the area. The others you need skins or snowshoes to access.
snow report
thebongolian, Definitely cool to meet somewhere for a ski if it's a weekend. As for recommendations, depends how much time you have for traveling round. I haven't been to either of these, so it's second hand beta. There's a cat skiing operation at the old Kita Taisetsu ski area, they get some of the driest powder on the island. Also in that area I've heard good reports about a 1 lift place called Horotachi which is small but always empty and untracked.

Mike Pow, didn't make it to Racey today, so no info. Had a reality check that I'm running a marathon in 5 weeks time so really needed to get out running today while the snow on the pavements is nice and compact! Can't rely on treadmills and ski touring!

Still sunny, but does look to be clouding over, hopefully will start snowing this evening. It isn't "much needed" but it'd certainly be nice to get some more snow!
snow report
“Hi how is it going?
I plan to go skiing in Niseko sometime next month or beginning of March. I thought it’d be great if you could give me some suggestions about places to stay and itinerary. I am travelling from Shanghai (direct flight to Sapporo Chitose Airport), and some of the places I’ve been looking at re accommodation are Hilton Niseko Village, Hotel Niseko Alpen and Green Leaf Niseko Village. They all look good in appearance (and also expensive). I’ll probably be travelling alone or with a friend, and I would need to rent the equipment. I know that different hotels / apartments have different access to the slopes. What do you think, any recommendation/opinion? My level is quite good but not really a free-rider, and I also thought I might need a guide through the pistes. And by now I know the weekend of 18th Feb is not good due to snow week in Japan…

Well, thanks a lot, enjoy your powder!!”
snow conditions
metalhead132, I've spent a few days skiing in Niseko for the last four season in a row and will hitting up my fifth trip in about five week's time. My advice to you, espeically if this is your first trip and you won't have access to a car, is stay in Hirafu Village, regardless of your budget and the class of accommodation you're looking for.

http://www.powderhounds.com/site/DefaultSite/filesystem/documents/NisekoVillageMap2011.pdf

I've stayed in both the Yumoto Niseko Prince Hotel Hirafu-tei (D1-D2) and The Vale Niseko (C2) and can recommend both, although my preference lies toward the Vale. Both have their own Onsen and sit alongside Grand Hirafu's Ace Family Pair run, providing direct access to it. I can also recommend the New White Bear pension lodge (D3-E3) if you need a more budget option.

While I'm sure the hotels in Niseko Village are great, that is pretty all that is there, and unless you have a car you'll be fairly isolated and have very limited options regarding restaurants, bars and other facilities.
ski holidays
Ordinary_Skiier,

Thanks!!
Better lodging in hirafu.
ski holidays
My first time in Niseko - love it!

Anyone here at the moment?
snow report
Eyeballing the accumulation on my deck in the past 24 hrs and the channel the plough just made on the road outside my cabin in Hiashiyama I'd say we've had a very conservative 24 cm in the past 24 hrs.

Not a huge amount, but it's still coming down hard and the lifts don't open for another 2 hrs or so.

Combine the snowfall with the surface hoar layer, the gusts of wind and the rapid increase in temperature yesterday afternoon to evening and I'll be very surprised if they open the Niseko Resort Area gates today.

And if they do, then go with someone who knows the area and take avalanche rescue equipment.

Not the day to be out in the backcountry IMHO.

Me, I'm heading to Kiroro Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are there any decent forecast sites for Niseko?? Snow-forecast seems to have a single snow flake every day Wink
snow conditions
When we finished today the snow was falling very heavily. It snowed all the day, there was some sunshine in parts but it never stopped snowing, although varied in intensity! Wind wasn't quite as strong today. It's seriously cold!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Are there any decent forecast sites for Niseko?? Snow-forecast seems to have a single snow flake every day Wink

http://360niseko.com/blog/category/daily-snow-reports/

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/radame/index.html?areaCode=203

http://niseko.nadare.info/
snow report
Mike Pow, cheers Mike I've found this on snow-forecast whcich seems to show the fronts moving in nicely!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/NisekoHigashiyama/map
ski holidays
some nice video here, but given it's CNY and supposedly busy, the chair lifts appear empty!

Australia Day in Niseko from Japan Ski Experience
http://vimeo.com/35680969
snow conditions
kitenski, busy here is not busy by any other country's standard!
snow report
beanie1, counting the days til I get there!
ski holidays
kitenski, have you been before?
snow report
I've been to Tokyo with work, never for skiing!
snow conditions
kitenski, you are in for a treat. I have never experienced anything close to this. It is a powder day every. single. day. Happy
snow conditions
beanie1, I certainly hope so, I am trying to play down the hype in my mind! Got any top tips??
ski holidays
kitenski, come back next year. Happy

Seriously - wrap up warm cos it's v cold here. Try not to stress about how skiing here too often will make you a bad skier, because it's all so easy.

I'll come back with some practical tips!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy