Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel 24th Sept Ski Test list and Prize?

Poster: A snowHead
OK the Skis I will have with me for the I/O event are in order of width underfoot, just for a Smile

Whitedot Redeemer 142x128x132
Movement Flyswatter 150x125x145
Whitedot Preacher 155x112x133
Movement Trust 141x108x129
Movement Sluff 134x99x118
Movement Source 135x94x121
Movement Mosquito 130x94x122
Whitedot The One 119x89x180
Movement Gloss 127x80x108 (ladies only)
Movement Naos 117x77x107 (ladies only)

STOP PRESS and Some Whitedot Directors

I found a new nice white Helmet with built in audio in my little stock room, Rob said he will put everyone who is there on Saturday names in the Helmet and the person drawn wins the Helmet.

On the skis above the Sluffs and the Source are our own skis so the bindings are fixed, if you can fit you are welcome to try them.

All the skis will be at the bottom of the piste for the start, but you will probably see me carrying them all in for about an hour!! before we start.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 24-09-11 11:19; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski, I want another go on the flyswatters but I can't make it Sad...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mounta1nGoat, shame and these ones are next seasons, no naked ladies on them now Sad like this seasons
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
livetoski, Cool they sound great.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No Directors to try? Still toying with coming for a giggle on the Flyswatters & the Trust.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob,
Quote:

No Directors to try?

sorry, I was with DOT today and he did not have any, plus I thought that the Ragnarok was a little to scary for Hemel Toofy Grin

The trust will not dissapoint you it is one hell of a ski, its worth coming just to try them, and the flyswatters, well!! pure fun
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski, good stuff! Might be fun to try some of those, if only to see what it's like to have a snowboard on each foot Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy,
Quote:

if only to see what it's like to have a snowboard on each foot

I am sure we can arrange that to Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK now to get them in the car for tomorrow Puzzled

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
or from another angle

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski,
Wow! that's quite an impressive sight! You're spoiling us.
I'll look forward to trying the ones that aren't actually twice my size and then see how brave/stupid I'm feeling after that.

It sounds like you're going to be busy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
or from another angle

That is just a whole lot of win, right there!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski wrote:
OK now to get them in the car for tomorrow Puzzled

The phrase that springs to mind is "we're going to need a bigger boat" Laughing

Top marks livetoski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

"we're going to need a bigger boat"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

its going to be a MTFU session me thinks Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For those that survive the fat skis demo we plan to head to the Paper Mill pub as the bar at the Snow Centre is closing early for a private function. The Paper Mill is on Stationers Place in Apsley (HP3 9RH).
snow report
STOP PRESS we will have some directors to try as well, Paul from Whitedot is going to bring some over, at about 6pm
ski holidays
livetoski, Thanks for bringing the skis and for your advice. I thought I had an idea of what I wanted before hand but the Preachers kinda changed that. I should really make a decision with my brain but those Preachers were just such good fun.

I was amazed by the WhiteDot Preachers (112 underfoot). They were really responsive and able to complete all of the gates on the slalom course when skied by a person of limited abillity, although it did take a lot of effort on my part. They switch from edge to edge really well when trying to link short turns together, both on the icy scraped sections as well as the chopped up stuff. It was a little too busy to try and carve some full radius turns, and someone kept leaving a slalom course in the way. They did feel a little heavy when compared to the Movement skis but the weight didn't impact their performance in a way that I could tell. These skis have found a place in heart but realistically their not the ski for where/what I'll be skiing this season. Maybe next year.

WhiteDot The One was a ski I was considering. It too was responsive when linking short turns on the ice and choppy stuff, they handled the slalom course really well without too much effort on my part. They cruised through the choppy stuff and felt very predictable when switching from the different conditions on the slope. I definitely enjoyed skiing them but they didn't scream out "buy me" or tug at my heart in the way the Preachers did. The One is probably the ski I that will suit where/what I will be skiing this coming season but it just felt like there was something missing.

I was really interested in testing the Movement Mosquito. They were a really fun and responsive ski, quick from edge to edge when linking short turns. Turn'y and pop'y were the words I'd heard used to describe them. They were certainly all of that and I got a great buzz from skiing them. The only issue I found was that they could be a little unpredictable when changing from different snow conditions. They ski 'short' on the firm/icy conditions but when you move onto the choppy/deeper stuff they ski 'long.' This transition caught me by surprise a few times even though I was expecting the change. There didn't seem to be a consistency to the change which was an issue on a crowded slope when you sometimes needed to know what the ski would do when you made a turn. That said, with a bit of use I dont doubt you' get the full measure of the ski and it'd be a delight to have them fully under control. As much as I loved this ski, again it's not the ski for what I'll be skiing this season.

Overall, whilst not the best way/conditions to test a ski I did get some insight as to how they would handle in a limited set of conditions. Any expectations I might have had were blown away by the skis It ested. If I had more skill, money and time I would by them all and ski them where they should be ski'd. Thanks again to livetoski for facilitating the testing, and showing us that you can ski a 128 underfoot ski in an 80's stylee wink
ski holidays
Snakeskin Si, many thanks for the comments, yep the Preachers are a game changer in many ways, if you want to try again maybe when the slope is quieter then just give me a shout, we wander over to Hemel early sometimes. Very Happy
latest report
So I only got to try a couple of pairs and didn't quite MTFU enough to try the Trusts.

Movement Mosquito - this was just a nice neat little ski, not offensively wide and fairly agile. Would probably do it all for many European skiers in most conditions or as a fat ski for lighter ladies. The fact that both I and Justjill could get on the same pair without major disaters shows they've probably got a fair spectrum of users. Heavier & more aggressive blokes might be a bit restricted by the max length available.

Movement Flyswatter - tip and tail rockered fat ski, flat or marginal camber under foot and not as clown shoe like as the previous version I'd seen assorted Scandis rocking. Fun ski in no way as difficult to use indoors as you'd imagine as it was pretty easy to turn and hook an edge in when needed - even got it down the course and pretty good fun in the bumps. Thought I was heading straight through one of the traffic signs at the bottom but managed enough slide to slither round. Didn't really get to see how they'd work if you really hooked them up on edge (where something like the Redeemer does really well). For BASI type working on their cloudbursts this ski would make them a piece of cake.
snow conditions
Again I only tried a couple of pairs and didn't MTFU enough for rob@rar to get the comedy photos he was after...

Movement Naos - shorter and lighter than I've skied in a while. These took me a few runs to get my head around. I found the lovely bumpy stuff at the edges a real challenge until I actually put a bit more weight and effort into them. Not a bad little ski (and not a bad shade of purple), but not what I'm looking for.

Movement Mosquitos - I admit it, I only tried these as a bit of a laugh after a large glass of vino and a few runs down the slalom course whetting my appetite for a bit of a challenge. Even skiing short these are still taller than I am and I fully expected to have a few 'interesting' runs before handing them back. As it happened I didn't take them off for the rest of the night (I hope I didn't deprive too many people of the opportunity to give them a go). As fatbob says these can obviously work for a fairly broad range of the market. Apparently they do do a shorter version too which I'll have to keep my eyes open for. I had a grin on my face most of the time on these although I did fail completely in getting them through the slalom (but I'll put that down to my skiing, not the skis).
P.S. Apologies to anyone (and everyone) I cut up horrendously as I was having a play.

It's a shame the Movement Gloss were out of the running (though I'm quite glad it was Pedantica not me who had the pleasure of testing them
ski holidays
I indeed had an abortive attempt to test the Movement Gloss (the successor to Spicy, I believe) which involved my heel coming out of one of them half way up the drag lift, because of a faulty binding; those one-legged drills came in very handy, Rob 'n' Scott, I made it to the top without falling over. Very Happy I also had a go on the Movement Naos: interestingly, they were even lighter than my already light Dynaster Legends, but at the same time a bit more rigid, with the result that I was able to hold my edges better on the by then very slippy slalom course than on my own skis, which felt quite skittery in those conditions. But then the Naos are not an all mountain ski; I would have been interested to compare mine with the Gloss, their nearest equivalent.
ski holidays
livetoski, what length were the Preachers you brought with you on Saturday, were they 189's.... temptation, at too good a price has just been put in front of me.
ski holidays
Snakeskin Si, the ones you were on were 179!
snow report
livetoski, Ta, I'll be giving those others at 189 a miss then...... more coinage headed your way in the near future, but I wouldn't mind taking you up on another test. I'll pm you when I have some plans/dates to be at HH. Alternatively, I'm planning on being in Manchester next weekend and the following week. There's gonna be a meet up at the Chillfactore venue. Might be a good opportunity for you or .Dot to spread the word and possibly make some sales..... fancy it ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy