Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Melt line = Freezing Level = What do the Freezing Level (FL) graphs mean? (from Snow Forecast.com)

The freezing level graphs show provide a graphical representation of the altitude (elevation) at which the temperature is a freezing point. Where this coicides with the elevation of the ground, any precipitation is likely to fall as snow and fresh water will freeze.

Warmest November=> melted Perma snow (on higher slopes, glaciers, etc, etc) , reduced perma frost, weaker snow pack and warmer ground conditions - none of which is desireable for ava safety (snow pack security), snow quality and snow perseverence. I'm glass half full but just saying its early days to be yelling powder Christmas- that's all!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sod the powder Christmas - its a powder 17th December I want to see Twisted Evil Irregardless of the Melt Line - at the moment I'm seeing more snow falling in parts of the Alps than I saw during several weeks last season. I'm definitely edging towards the 3/4 full glass Madeye-Smiley

Keep looking at the VDI post - wow!!! Nobody in Chamonix at moment got any pictures can post up??? Please Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everyone's too busy making turns to post piccies!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
a bit of freeze thaw would be great for setting up a solid base
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dread, true - infuriating but true!! Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not fussed about having powder, I just want some clean pistes to ski.... I'm going somewhere (prob Serre Chevallier) in March when the snow is far more likely to be awesome!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horgand, Freezing level, not melting level. No, they are not (practically) the same.

What are you blethering about permafrost? The Alps are not the Arctic. Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Under a whatever, you're a laugh... ha ha ha ha ha ha. I'd love (hate) to be around when you are trying to be funny.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Matty, I'm continuing to dance for powder but fingers crossed, you may well be sorted:

http://www.chamonet.com/reports/snow/the-snow-is-here!-:-7th-december-2011.html

9 long days!!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
horgand, Freezing level, not melting level. No, they are not (practically) the same.

What are you blethering about permafrost? The Alps are not the Arctic. Puzzled

Permafrost exists in the alps if you go high enough. (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permafrost). That said I don't think rising permafrost levels is much of a deal for winter snow cover and avalanche risk, any effect will be dwarfed by the actual weather, it is more an issue for erosion and rock fall in spring/summer though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry skied powder today - so did lots of others Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah, Hardly an issue though is it?

horgand, I am a barrel of laughs. But at least I am not scaremongering.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="under a new name"]sah, Hardly an issue though is it?

[quote]

In this context, no, I don't think so. I'm just being pedantic...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="sah"][quote="under a new name"]sah, Hardly an issue though is it?

Quote:

In this context, no, I don't think so. I'm just being pedantic...

No worries.

I'm just wondering though, do you really get permafrost at altitude? If there's snow cover I would think not?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:

I'm just wondering though, do you really get permafrost at altitude? If there's snow cover I would think not?

Yep, you certainly do get it, and you notice the fact that it's receding if you look at some of the huge rockfalls that occurred in Chamonix recently, for example. This article talks about a fall several years ago, I was in Chamonix this summer and saw another large fall in the same area. As the permafrost recedes (i.e. gets higher) then freeze-thaw can set in to places where previously it did not normally thaw, and this causes rock falls. Hopefully in winter there is no thawing at that altitude, so I think it's more of an issue in summer.
snow report
sah wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Yep, you certainly do get it, and you notice the fact that it's receding if you look at some of the huge rockfalls that occurred in Chamonix recently, for example. This article talks about a fall several years ago, I was in Chamonix this summer and saw another large fall in the same area. As the permafrost recedes (i.e. gets higher) then freeze-thaw can set in to places where previously it did not normally thaw, and this causes rock falls. Hopefully in winter there is no thawing at that altitude, so I think it's more of an issue in summer.

Fascinating and scary, thanks.

Yeah, a second big break ohh thte Dru this summer. Yikes.
snow report
Some nice shots for 8th December

http://thedailydumpsnowreport.com/the-dumps/chamonix/2011/12/08/8th-dec-chamonix-dumped-on/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=8th-dec-chamonix-dumped-on
snow report
More good news, les houches is opening on the 10th with discounted tickets.

Limited GM opening also on the tenth.

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/ouverture-grands-montets-4626
ski holidays
Just got sent some pictures from my guide in Cham:

http://powderbible.com/2011/12/09/first-tracks-in-chamonix-ski-tour-aiguille-des-posettes/
ski holidays
Very nice webcam view of the mont blanc massive this morning...

snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
sah wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Fascinating and scary, thanks.

Yeah, a second big break ohh thte Dru this summer. Yikes.

under a whatever, and there I was thinking you know everything, well ok, not really, in fact not at all.

Now before you go 'blethering' about Artic or Antartic or Alps for that matter, in future kindly check your facts before you state (wrong) opinion as fact, will you!?

p.s. what is 'blethering' anyway, ah a word you made up all on your owneo, how very clever and apt of you!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

what is 'blethering' anyway

From dictionary.reference.com

noun, verb (used without object), verb (used with object) blather.

or... from Wiktionary

Verb blether (third-person singular simple present blethers, present participle blethering, simple past and past participle blethered)

or... (and certainly NSFW) from the Urban Dictionary

blethering: a scots phrase to indicate talking a lot of b*ll*cks
snow report
Any chance we can get back to talking about conditions in cham, popping in here to watch a pi55ing contest is not what I want. FWTW under a new name is one of the locals to Chamonix that knows what he is talking about.
latest report
fair comment. BTW a lot of snow showing up on forecasts for next week, which if realised would make it scrummy!!

p.s. Sah, I look forward to blethering with the best of them in Bivouc around NY, after my detour to Val d'Is to warm up...
snow report
jbob wrote:
Any chance we can get back to talking about conditions in cham, popping in here to watch a pi55ing contest is not what I want. FWTW under a new name is one of the locals to Chamonix that knows what he is talking about.

jbob, when getting such quality descriptive words like "blethering" and "scrummy" that I've not heard for years??? Laughing

Not sure what scrummy actually means but it sounds apt lol. In fact its in danger of sounding like even Horgand's glass has past the half-empty/full stage - looking good for the 26th Horgand!!! Toofy Grin

I've just read Noza's predictions for 17/18th on the outlook thread and precluding avy risk off the scale am starting to get that fresh powder tingling anticipation. So much so missus has noticed - she doesn't even know we're Cham bound on 17th, she hasn't seen a single snow report, but has commented that I seem to be in the (annoying to her) tigger-ish mode she only sees when stood above a fresh powder field
Madeye-Smiley Holidays are coming....................
snow report
Hmmph, my own trip has been postponed now due to my mate breaking his shoulder Crying or Very sad maybe look at re-booking around easter instead...
snow report
scubadancer, hard luck for your mate but doesn't mean you can't go.

Ten more sleeps till I'm there. Watching the cams like a hawk now.
latest report
Hope you have a great time Zero-G, am off to Courchevel at the end of January anyway, so no great loss Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I won't be there until the 2nd Jan. Hope you lot leave a bit here and there. Still there is always the secret stash.
ski holidays
Grand Montets opened today - The piste wasn't so great in places, more lack of piste maintenance than snow, but if you knew where to look there was some great powder to be had - a bit rocky in some places - so take care out there

ski holidays
Idris, szk posted on Facebook that he has had lots of damaged skis and boards brought in to the shop.
Nice photo.
latest report
jbob wrote:
Hope you lot leave a bit here and there. Still there is always the secret stash.

No such thing in Cham. Some crusty local or lanky Scandi will have been pillaging your secret stash daily before your arrival. Guaranteed.
snow report
IncogSkiSno's thread about the theft of her skis in Tignes has made me wonder about the same in Cham. I don't hear about much ski theft going on in Chamonix (apart from Will's Black Crows last season). Any Cham regulars aware of an increase of theft in the valley?
ski holidays
Not aware of any increase, ski theft has always happened, particularly from busy restaurants near car parks for very obvious reasons.
snow report
Cheers under a new name, that's about what I thought.
snow report
Zero-G, Some 25 years ago a bunch of toerags were rolling up in a van in Morzine at tour ops' prize giving and bundling all the skis outside the bar into said van.

Not a new sport, rolling eyes
ski holidays
Zero-G, mine were nicked from my (carelessly unlocked) cave, so pretty much my own fault, still a lovely shiney new pair of Navis hit GM today courtesy of my generous insurance people so all's now well in the world Very Happy
ski holidays
Just got sent through a fun little vid of my guide and his mates skiing in the trees down from Montenvers on Friday:

http://powderbible.com/2011/12/12/early-season-chamonix-powder-tree-skiing-below-montenvers/
latest report
Chamwow, I enjoyed that, ta snowHead
snow conditions
I didn't. Because I'm in Australia & not Chamonix!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy