Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
There be snow on the roof tops in Cham Sud.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which means it won't be too much longer before BobinCH comes along - like the good news fairy - to post his first pics of skiing in Chamonix snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, I was thinking about him today (not in a gay way) as he hasn't posted for ages. He is a bit like Matt Le Tissier who used to do f@k all for ages in a game and then right at the last minute score a blinder! Similarly Bob doesn't post for months but then when he does it's a TR and you can guarantee it'll be a ripper!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guernseyfreerider, when Bob starts posting TRs then I know the season has really started.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cloud is lifting steadily, a group of buddies are waiting on the Midi, photos to follow. Good snowcover down to around 1400m snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The cloud is lifting steadily, a group of buddies are waiting on the Midi, photos to follow. Good snowcover down to around 1400m snowHead

I can see a few bods braving the arête (which looks unroped but it's hard to tell) on the web cam.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://twitpic.com/6nrte6
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, one of the things I love about Chamonix is that its full of nutters.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like I will have to stand in for BobinCH (one can only assume that he is currently very much in CH...).

It's a rare chance I get to ski powder on my birthday so today was not to be missed!!

Mallory a bit thin just now:

Cedric, Martin & Tom in the bin - in spite of an early start from Bozel for me the '830 first bin' ended up running at 930a.m... oh the joys...:

It's the ridge, Jim, but not as we know it - proper knife edge today:

Fortunately we found some French alpine lemmings to test out the stability & put a track in for us... The gang setting off down the ridge - this was a lull in the wind - for a better idea of conditions see smallzookeeper's link above...:

Cedric below the ridge:

Good powder to be had on the South side - Cedric & Tom:

Sweet turns down to the Col du Midi:

Birthday powder tracks:

There had been plans for some Italian coffee for lunch, but with freshly wind-blown snow covering some large (& numerous) slots further down below the Col du Midi we decided to play it safe...

Cedric skinning towards the Cosmiques refuge:

Time for some 'mini-golf' laps under the Cosmiques hut - Tom:

Martin:

Cedric:

Tom:

Coffee stop in the Cosmiques:

A good hour's work:

Back up the arete for tea and medals...:

Tom takes the applause of the gathered crowd of spectators:

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh what a life!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
offpisteskiing, and an exemplary stand in for BobinCH it was too, thank you. The arête looks particularly Shocked

Happy birthday! What a fab way to spend it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed123, indeed, but.......someone has to ski it wink
offpisteskiing, Bonne anniversaire!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing, smashing! Happy birthday! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, it's September! Top work
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This Chamonix thread has officially been christened - is it the first TR on snowHeads for the season?
snow report
offpisteskiing, happy birthday, one you won't forget. Very Happy
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
This Chamonix thread has officially been christened - is it the first TR on snowHeads for the season?

I posted one yesterday but this one has much nicer conditions. Very Happy
latest report
Happy Birthday chap - what a way to see it through. Going green
snow conditions
Video of yesterdays powder - same trip as offpisteskiing

First powder of the season from Tom Greenall
http://www.vimeo.com/29368249

Wink
ski holidays
Idris, checked out your skis, are the tops real oak?

You got more powder than I managed all last winter, nice one.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
Idris, checked out your skis, are the tops real oak?

You got more powder than I managed all last winter, nice one.

Yup real Oak veneer topsheet, oak sidewalls and tail bone - Ptex4000 base and heavy duty (freeride snowboard) edges Wink
ski holidays
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Champagne powder ? NehNeh
ski holidays
Snow overnight, more forecast tonight, it's cold and miserable. We have the same crew warming their hands in the pockets, amongst other things waiting for the Midi Bin.
Snow down to 1900m.
ski holidays
STOKED NehNeh
latest report
Arno, Tw@t
snow report
Arno, Laughing
snow conditions
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=269144813126254&set=a.269144793126256.70018.157705970936806&type=1&theater
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooh!
snow conditions
http://twitpic.com/6xnxea
snow report
ski holidays
Hey, any of the Chamonix 'heads got a recommendation for where to do an introductory course to off piste skiing over there?

I'm an intermediate skier (who isn't?) and am usually quite comfortable on any piste but obviously I'd like to take some lessons before venturing forth with a guide. I'll be in Chamonix from 10-Dec this year for a week so I appreciate that that early in the season the conditions for off piste can't be guaranteed but still - would be great to line something up in case it all comes up Slipper!

Cheers,

:S
snow report
Chamonix Experience.
http://www.chamex.com/
snow report
Thanks SMALLZOOKEEPER, had a quick look. They seem to offer quite extensive courses (6 days!) rather than a brief 1 or 2 day intro that I'd be looking for (sorry didn't specify above). Also, the courses seem to be limited to January and later, not unexpectedly I suppose.

latest report
slipper, Evolution2 offers half-day and one-day off piste sessions (you can join a group). This is more guiding than instruction but I did them after a single private lesson and the guides did correct my mistakes because I asked them to.

Or book a private four-hour off piste lesson with them (if doing so, ask for either Michel Bruel or Gerard Menard). Trust me, you'll be shagged by the end of those four hours, those guys are tough as nails and make you ski hard if you want.
latest report
Zero-G, thanks for the suggestion. That seems to be closer to what I'm looking for all right.

One other thing, recommendations for a ski hire shop? Or does it matter at all?

Update: I see skiset have an operation their and there are a few discount codes knocking about for them. I've used them before in Austria - any experince of the Chamonix - Aguille du Midi shop?

snow conditions
slipper, for ski hire Ravenel is pretty good. They have one shop below the Alpen Hotel and another one next to the Flégère cable station. A nice family-run business and they have a selection of offpiste-specific skis too. Also, if you want to demo some WDF skis, swing by SMALLZOOKEEPER's shop.
snow report
just been trying to work out what shop smallzookeeper runs then noticed the solelab link on the footer.....

Smallzookeeper, i nearly sent you a reponse to your advert on chamsocial the other week, not after a job, but it was the best advert i've seen for a while Laughing
snow conditions
cantridepete, Despite which I have people coming to the shop everyday saying they've seen and read the advert and are just stopping by to give us their CV's!
snow report
haha, well it is easier than jotting down a couple of indepently thought out words Laughing

looks like we've been slung back into summer after last weekends false start Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy