Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
does anyone hire split boards in the valley? My next door neighbours got a 167 i can borrow but wanted something a bit shorter......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cantridepete, We're looking into it,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cool, if you happen to get one in i'd be interested in hiring it out for a day or two at the beginning of the season (conditions permitting of course!!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

I'll be making my first trip to Chamonix this season, for a four day break over the new year. Six of us in total, including a couple of kids who have only done a 'learn to ski over two days' package at Tamworth earlier this year. The hotel we're staying in is fairly central in the town, and I'm wondering what the best plan is for the usual arrival day orientation; ie the usual lift pass, Ski and boot hire, and lessons combo, as well as the nearest lift in order to save time and get us all out nice and early the following day.

Again, any tips and reccommendations from fellow snowHead always welcome. Those of us 'non-kids' who are going, are intermediate level, pretty comfortable on anything up to and including Red slope.

Cheers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scubadancer, which hotel?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And do you have a car?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scubadancer, Chamonix? not the best choice for a group with kids and beginners, you will realy need a car,,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, freeheelskier, Hotel Pointe Isabelle. We haven't got any transport booked at the moment (Flight into Geneva, followed by coach transfer). It's true that this trip is something of a compromise really, we have a couple of non-skiing ladies in the party who were happy for us blokes to go skiing as long as they had a proper town to wander round the shops, bars and restaurants in! I'm actually going to Courchevel for a whole week later in January, so this 4 day Cham trip is just a 'loosener' to be honest. I've read and heard that Cham is a little spread out, but the lift pass includes public transport - probably not the best way to get around when skiing I admit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you can get passes at any of the lifts, but you might want to have a look on chamonet or chamonix.com before hand if you wanted to book lessons. Otherwise if your just heading up you could maybe go down to le tour for the first day, its one of the easier hills (although it is also the furthest away!) otherwise, get the kids booked into lessons in the morning and you can then just get the local bus upto brevent (or walk if your feeling energetic Wink)

dont bother with the unlimited pass, for 4 days its not worth it Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a nice lunch and stroll in a beautifully sunny and mild Chamonix yesterday. From what I could see the Brevent Flegere area was totally green with not a patch of snow to be seen. Looks like there might be something coming next weekend though, so fingers crossed for bad weather.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitters wrote:
Had a nice lunch and stroll in a beautifully sunny and mild Chamonix yesterday. From what I could see the Brevent Flegere area was totally green with not a patch of snow to be seen. Looks like there might be something coming next weekend though, so fingers crossed for bad weather.

there's plenty of snow in the kids toboggan area where they've run the snow cannons Very Happy

Other than that..nothing Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitters wrote:

Still one month till I arrive (17th dec)... I won't worry until a few days before! Its got a lot colder here in the UK over the last week or so....

The temps will drop, and if there's no natural snow, I'll happily take snow cannoned pistes Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This makes for interesting historical comparison (if its true data)

Key: Lower slopes / Upper slopes

2007-2008
Nov 7cm / 8cm
Dec 25cm / 133cm
Jan 34cm / 221cm
Feb 27cm / 271cm
Mar 42cm / 338cm
Apr 44cm / 605cm

2008-2009
Nov 1cm / 10cm
Dec 31cm / 149cm
Jan 75cm / 224cm
Feb 93cm / 321cm
Mar 85cm / 376cm
Apr 30cm / 376cm

2009-2010
Nov 2cm / 5cm
Dec 24cm / 139cm
Jan 71cm / 372cm
Feb 83cm / 392cm
Mar 60cm / 390cm
Apr 23cm / 336cm

2010-2011
Nov 3cm / 16cm
Dec 11cm / 145cm
Jan 6cm / 174cm
Feb 2cm / 181cm
Mar 1cm / 195cm
Apr 0cm / 125cm

source: http://www.igluski.com/france/chamonix-snow-history_1601
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's ski club GB data isn't it? Does anyone know when in the month they take the measurement, start, end, middle, some sort of average?

There is a big difference between 145cm of snow on 1st December and the 31st!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its cumulative snowfall for the month, for example:

1st: 20cm
2nd: 20cm
17th: 20cm
21st: 20cm

total: 80cm; it doesn't give indication of the exact dates when there was snow.
snow report
Small zookeeper I may have to visit you this winter.

We'll see how it goes. I've had issues with my scarpa spirit 4's releasing from the toe's on my dynafit speeds. I've drilled the tech fitting toe pieces deeper to try get the bindings pins to sit in further so we'll see how they do this winter....once winter arrvies that is...

btw- my brother is walking the petit balcon nord today, mer de glace/midi section. yep walking and its nearly Dec.
latest report
Hi there again everyone,

this is going to be my first winter in Cham after spending the summer here mountain biking and walking. From this I have seen a fair few areas I'd like to hit up on touring ski's.

Its my girlfriend who likes Chamonix oh so much, I wouldn't have necessarily chosen to come here, but for ski touring you can't go far wrong can you? Except from what I hear the huge volume of people everywhere. I've been researching routes and blogs online trying to get a good idea for how to try get away from the masses. Does the Grand Montets really get that packed and tracked out?

I'm hoping, along with ski touring partner who will also be in Chamonix this winter, to hit up le Tour and into Switzerland. If you ski down to Trient is it best to slog back up to France, or are there buses to Chatelard? What about the glaciers around there, do the crevasses get covered? Hopefully we can get up Flegere/Brevent and into the back towards the Fiz and Buet, even the desert de plate maybe.

also i've see some lovely videos of fast freeriders(& monoboarders..) around the Signal near Montenvers station. Do peeps go up on the train, or traverse from Plan d'Midi?

bes of luck to everyone this winter, be safe, and keep wishing for S N O W!
ski holidays
OliC wrote:
Does the Grand Montets really get that packed and tracked out?

oh yes, its like a freek of nature, i'm sure sometimes the snow falls with tracks pre-made, how else it can get tracked out by 10am is beyond me!!

if your not up first thing and have the chance try a drive down to combloux or contamines, its like another world were people get up at a reasonable hour and go sking ON the piste Cool
latest report
Quote:

Yes.

A copy of "Mont Blanc and the Aguilles Rouges: a Guide for Skiers" and the relevant 1:25 map would be a good investment.
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

A copy of "Mont Blanc and the Aguilles Rouges: a Guide for Skiers" and the relevant 1:25 map would be a good investment.

is that your recommended book? there are so many to choose if you go on the shops or maison des guides.

a map? i know mountain bikers only ride marked downhill trails and walkers in Cham only follow the signed Balcons, but I do own a map or two.
latest report
junglist_matty wrote:
...it doesn't give indication of the exact dates when there was snow.

Ah OK snowfall not depth, that makes sense - was confused by Igluski titling the page "Snow Depth Record"!
latest report
Hey everone,
We have snow forecast over here in Chamonix for Thursday the 2nd, got a full day and night forecast. Not had anything but blue skies for the last month or so, its a start at least Very Happy
snow conditions
cantridepete wrote:
...i'm sure sometimes the snow falls with tracks pre-made, how else it can get tracked out by 10am is beyond me!!

Truth!
snow report
junglist_matty wrote:

1st: 20cm
2nd: 20cm
17th: 20cm
21st: 20cm

total: 80cm; it doesn't give indication of the exact dates when there was snow.

It is snowdepth, not snowfall.
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
cantridepete wrote:
...i'm sure sometimes the snow falls with tracks pre-made, how else it can get tracked out by 10am is beyond me!!

Truth!

Truth indeed!
snow conditions
Just had this text in from a mate who went to "Chamonix" yesterday for the weekend.........

Drove to Cervinia today! Got shed loads of snow! Piste cruising but great to be back on skis!
snow report
Opening day in Chamonix Wink

ski holidays
Idris, any update on this? Looks like there has been snow overnight. Due to go out on Saturday....

:S
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dusting of snow down to about 1100m.
walked at le tour yesterday. heavy watery snow from mild weather.
still bit too warm, but will it go colder later today???
snow conditions
Morning snow in les Houches,

snow report
I was never one bit worried there wouldn't be any snow by Dec 17th.... Looking forward to a great pre-xmas week of skiing in Chamonix Madeye-Smiley
snow report
junglist_matty wrote:
I was never one bit worried there wouldn't be any snow by Dec 17th.... Looking forward to a great pre-xmas week of skiing in Chamonix Madeye-Smiley

You still should be!!

Just cos there's a first pile of snow falling now and forecast over today and the next couple of days there's also warm weather spiking next week to melt alot of that fresh into crud on a non existent base. The weather is at best precarious. What we need is 2-4 weeks of continuous mild to heavy dumps in cold conditions, this is not showing yet, there's only a few days of this and then a hike in temp.... I'm due in Tignes from Dec 26th and I'm concerned to say the least.
latest report
^ bit pessimistic?

Seems to me there's about a metre of snow falling in total this week across the northern Alps, and no sign of a heatwave on the horizon.

La Plagne (where I'm going) looks as though it has TONS of snow! Should be enough left for me on the 17th.
snow conditions
horgand wrote:
You still should be!!

Just cos there's a first pile of snow falling now and forecast over today and the next couple of days there's also warm weather spiking next week to melt alot of that fresh into crud on a non existent base. The weather is at best precarious. What we need is 2-4 weeks of continuous mild to heavy dumps in cold conditions, this is not showing yet, there's only a few days of this and then a hike in temp.... I'm due in Tignes from Dec 26th and I'm concerned to say the least.

Ey... What warm weather spike is that?

5 day forecast for temps at 2000m (where most Chamonix skiing starts) range between -12 to -2 degrees.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's hardly going to melt any snow, any further out than 5 days and anything really can happen, and even a 5 day forecast range is unreliable!

Looking at the bottom lifts in Chamonix valley (around 1000m), the highest forecast temp is 4 degrees, so you're probably right in that snow in the town will disappear and between the town and the midlifts the slopes (if open) will not be great...

All of that said, who knows what next week's forecast is going to be!? Still got another 10 days till I get there, could quite easily snow again at the end of next week Wink
latest report
Keep the optimism going Wink

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php covers the next few days, but I saw a forecast today that not only showed very nicely the snow currently over the alps/north italy - but also revealed the large front working its way across the Atlantic thats been referred to on the outlook thread!!

I'm actually getting hopeful that might need chains to get up into resort on 17th Smile
latest report
sd2010 wrote:
Keep the optimism going Wink

As always my friend! I'm not one bit worried, the 17th/18th will be an awesome opening weekend and I'm going to have a great week of skiing before xmas snowHead
snow report
Reassuring pic of Cham half way down:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8421
latest report
junglist_matty wrote:
horgand wrote:
You still should be!!

Ey... What warm weather spike is that?

5 day forecast for temps at 2000m (where most Chamonix skiing starts) range between -12 to -2 degrees.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's hardly going to melt any snow, any further out than 5 days and anything really can happen, and even a 5 day forecast range is unreliable!

Looking at the bottom lifts in Chamonix valley (around 1000m), the highest forecast temp is 4 degrees, so you're probably right in that snow in the town will disappear and between the town and the midlifts the slopes (if open) will not be great...

All of that said, who knows what next week's forecast is going to be!? Still got another 10 days till I get there, could quite easily snow again at the end of next week Wink

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade ('scuse the pun and all that Very Happy ) but when I see the melt line go to 2000m and above, I consider that warm and not conducive to preserving good snow quality. I'm as stoked and psyched by all the new snow as anyone, trust me I am raring to go on the 26th, and I do appreciate the optimism.

However I'm just pointing out the reality that the usual November base is non-existant and while a fair bit of snow has fallen over the past 2 days, the temp is running up to and above 2000m for the next week ,granted with another 1/2m of precipitation forecast in a week. So while this is a great start to december, we need another 4 weeks of this to get to some sort of solid base that can give us the base and snow that we can rely on. So far we've had one week of it, and are due a 2nd (based on 9 day forecast) so we'll hope and see if that materialises and if weeks 3 & 4 can stay cold and add more snow- cos more will be needed IMHO!!!
snow conditions
I'd be amazed if it all suddenly vanished at 1000m at 4deg anyway...if it's prepared snow, then its pretty resilient to warm and wet weather. There won't be knee deep powder to ski on if that was the case but ther should be a run to ski down....personally I'd take the lift down wink
latest report
horgand, what's a "melt line"?

CHX meteo forecast, which is the most accurate, doesn't say anything of the sort today http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

I'd be amazed also. I am led to believe that the lack of the usual November base is somewhat more important from an avalanche point of view.

But, of course, we definitely want more of a classical winter precipitation pattern, nice and consistent, a good fall every few days...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy