Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
ww166no wrote:
Zero-G, mine were nicked from my (carelessly unlocked) cave, so pretty much my own fault, still a lovely shiney new pair of Navis hit GM today courtesy of my generous insurance people so all's now well in the world Very Happy

Mind the sharks with those new skis!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horgand wrote:
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade ('scuse the pun and all that Very Happy ) but when I see the melt line go to 2000m and above, I consider that warm and not conducive to preserving good snow quality. I'm as stoked and psyched by all the new snow as anyone, trust me I am raring to go on the 26th, and I do appreciate the optimism.

The only thing I'm worried about is being able to get there on the 17th Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
junglist_matty, you doing bus or flight?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm flying EasyJet, Luton - Geneva (16.20 departure) and booked onto a transfer from Geneva to Argentiere
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So looking at my logs it would seem that a ton of snowheads have clicked through from this thread to my blog, which is also there to promote a ski book I have written called The Powder Bible - did anyone have a poke around to that part of the site?

Would love to know what you all think - it's a brand new project launched less than a fortnight ago, and I'm desperate for some feedback, especially from the UK market which I think would love it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lovely snow 3/4 the way down to le lavancher from grand m today. perhaps it will be nearly perfect all the way if it dumps like predicted at the weekend. this bowl with traverse back round to lifts was ok, but tracked by midday. heard reports of good things on other side towards glacier.

previous days skinning at le tour have been ok, wind and crust and some pow' on most outings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.chamonix.net/english/videos/index.htmh

Conditions at Le tour, also explains why it's hard to get first tracks in cham, it's already battered and does not open until Sat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Watch this one guys, and bare in mind your safety. I know it's a few days out of date now but still things must still be less stable than they would have been with a colder/earlier start. Or not?

http://www.chamonet.com/reports/videos/a-morning-touring-with-white-dot-steve-:-8th-december-2011.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grands Montets two days ago snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/YzhJNTtSKk8&feature=player_embedded
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Though the avy warning for tomorrow is "4-5. Extreme caution. Skiing not recommended"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker, not saying i told you so, but...............
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
midgetbiker, You're suprisingly wise when well away from the snow! Did I read somewhere that you're claiming to be 160lbs now . . . you probably couldn't set off a slip if you tried Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Discounted Lift Passes
For those SH's travelling to Chamonix this may be of interest:http://www.buyclub.ch/geneva/deals/chamonix-2012/?utm_campaign=1109592700&utm_content=1010216962350&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GM closed today, predicted cat 5 avalanche level tomorrow. Not seen that in 7 years. Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jivebaby wrote:
Discounted Lift Passes
For those SH's travelling to Chamonix this may be of interest:http://www.buyclub.ch/geneva/deals/chamonix-2012/?utm_campaign=1109592700&utm_content=1010216962350&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Cheers for that! Just purchased 4 vouchers. Reckon that should save me around 40 euros on my lift tickets for my January trip there. Very Happy
latest report
jbob wrote:
GM closed today, predicted cat 5 avalanche level tomorrow. Not seen that in 7 years. Puzzled

Are the lifts closed due to the gale-force winds or have they closed the pisted areas too due to the avy danger?
latest report
Thanks Jivebaby, Bought 4, they'll be handy for someone this season . . . Got to fill the day up somehow Very Happy
snow conditions
ww166no wrote:
midgetbiker, You're suprisingly wise when well away from the snow! Did I read somewhere that you're claiming to be 160lbs now . . . you probably couldn't set off a slip if you tried Very Happy

165 this morning, but i don't think i can blame either my avalanche or crevasse episodes from last season on my (now diminished) 'winter coat'.
snow report
The road up to Le tour is closed until tomorrow.

"R.N.205 from Le Fayet to Chamonix
snow tires useful
R.N.506 from Chamonix to Argentière
snow tires or chains required
R.N.506 from Argentière to Vallorcine and Switzerland by Col des Montets (1461m)
closed
Special information : Avalanch risk very high 5/5.
The road between Argentiere and Le Tour will be closed at 12pm
The buses will stop in les Chosalets at 12pm

Tunnel du Mont-Blanc information : It's recommanded to avoid if possible the Mont Blanc tunnel
Last update 2011-12-16 11:16:49"

From Chamonix.net

Get the latest here,
http://www.chamonix.com/road-conditions,10,en.html
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
ww166no wrote:

165 this morning, but i don't think i can blame either my avalanche or crevasse episodes from last season on my (now diminished) 'winter coat'.

V impressive . . . you've almost put me off my Tartiflette Very Happy
snow conditions
I have heard that the top end of the valley is being partially evacuated. It's raining in Chamonix town with slush. The temp is due to drop tonight, then 80cm of snow. Genova is closed at the moment.

If you are driving, good luck. If you are heading to Le Tour!!
latest report
Crikey.

Had to dig the car into the drive last night. About to shout at the recalcitrant snow blower.

What a lot of snow.

Access roads look clear enough but little opening up.

Flegere thinking about it.

Fantastic, although frustrating.

Yum yum.
snow report
I read that the little red train has been derailed (ledauphine.com) and that the Mont Blanc area is considered at most avalanche risk in the region - that figures, I suppose.

Be careful!
snow conditions
So many reports of so much snowfall in the past few days. Pics or it didn't happen!
ski holidays
Les Houches opened today. I think it was the only Chamonix area which did? The snow was pretty spectacular- skied like about 30cm of good quality powder on top of a rain crust. The bottom sections to the Bellevue and Prarion lifts had some unexpected ditches and streams as the coverage is still really thin down there. Still snowing in the village now. The higher altitude areas which were not affected by rain will have epic conditions when they open...... Very Happy
ski holidays
snowprincess, I queued at the ticket office there until 10.30, then gave up and went to Megeve.
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
So many reports of so much snowfall in the past few days. Pics or it didn't happen!

Come on people, you're killing me here. Must. See. Pics. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
^ +1. Even a scenic of the town. Is the sun out yet?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Even on 96mm skis it was thigh deep.

Up Flegere, they only ran Evettes but even so there were only about 80 people up. Magnificent.

And more snow forecast...

Home run fine although some ditches evident and requiring avoidance!
ski holidays
under a new name, When did it open? We clearly made the wrong choice with Les Houches after waiting till mid-morning - it was OK here and there, but I don't know it well enough to head for the best bits. I wonder if GM or Flegere will open tomorrow with this fresh fall?
ski holidays
Alans deep bath wrote:
^ +1. Even a scenic of the town. Is the sun out yet?

Even a buried car will do.
ski holidays
Zero-G, OK, OK, will try to take a few tomorrow - though have no idea how to post them! Very Happy
latest report
Started up at G-M, only the bottom c/c running. 1 run down, in rather nice powder, took a look at the queue, then headed for Brevent. Few laps around on the magic carpet chair. Very deep snow in amongst the trees. I clearly need fat skis, 85mm seems way too skinny in the lift line. Very Happy
ski holidays
ww166no wrote:
Zero-G, OK, OK, will try to take a few tomorrow - though have no idea how to post them! Very Happy

Yay! You could hit the "Post a picture" button at the bottom of the page if you only have one pic. But if you have several, then upload them to to snowMedia Zone (hidden in the snowBase menu at the top of the page - you would need to register there)
ski holidays
They opened one of the chairs near mid station on G-M today - marmottons I think. It didn't show on the boards though. Led to a lot of people having a play for a good few hours in knee to thigh deep powder. Visibility kept coming and going though - therefore no pics on slopes.

Couple of pics from argentiere, argentiere train station area last night and this afternoon.

It feels like its been snowing pretty much all yesterday and today - and still going. Lot closed and avy risk of 4/5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72359007@N02/6533035305/in/photostream/

Excuse if screwed up URL - don't usually use. Actually sat in bar and watched some kids monoskiing down the main road last night Wink
latest report
sd2010, great pic, thanks! Four more sleeps till I'm there and that pic is getting the juices flowing snowHead
latest report
ww166no, Fleger opened 11h00 we got up at 12h40 sommissed the really best bits. The Compagnie du Mont Blanc site is pretty well updated.

No idea what tomorrow brings as it's still snowing on and off heavily...
snow report
Courmayeur today- ok it's not Chamonix but it is representative of the current conditions in the Mont Blanc area

Sorry, trying to embed the link, but not working

just end up with <iframe> quotes Sad

A little tree skiing from Tom Greenall
http://vimeo.com/33869277
ski holidays
Idris, that looks positively yummy. With conditions like that, I'm definitely packing the Directors Cool
snow conditions
SCRUMMY.......Yippee

See I told ye that it would be a great white Christmas and a Powder New Year, 6 sleeps before I go and 11 before getting to Chamonix- I can't wait!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy