Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Preachers - Size Wise?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I'm currently looking to purchase a pair of Whitedot Preachers for the forthcoming season and having currently been on Zag Big 168s was wondering if I should stick to the 169s or take a punt on the 179s.

I'm 170cm (5' 7"), 71kg (11 and bit stones) and competent on most stuff, by no means an expert on all terrain but like to go off piste and in the trees.

Wondering if anyone had a view? How stiff are the shorter ones and whether they'll do the job + less of a jump from a ski with a 88cm waist (I'm nervous and excited at the idea of the wider skis!)

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatmansan, I am sure DOT. will be along soon to give his expert advice.

The Preachers ski short as the effective edge of the 179 is 158, I have been skiing the 179 but would have gone for the 189 as I am 81kg and 180cm

The 179 will give you a better feel on piste and more stability off piste, the Zag Big is a very turny ski compared to almost any freeride ski around. I think you will be surprised how easy the Preachers are to ski, they do not feel like a wide ski.

Also as you improve you will want that little extra length in the ski
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski,

Thanks. I was speaking to Mark at Whitedot and he said similar - i.e. upgraded to 189s after starting on the 179s. The Zag is very turny and I enjoy it but I guess was a bit nervous about the extra length, despite the effective edge being much shorter. Gut feel is the 179s as I want to try and improve and really looking forward to getting on them so your feedback is appreciated

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatmansan, Likewise, if i was you i'd upsize to the 179.

I'm 180cm's 80-85 kilo's (Depending how much raclette's been going round) And am pretty confident on anything but that doesn't mean i always make it look good. Love to be in the tree's and hopping, popping and dropping off mini-cliffs.
After a wee chat with Mark I bought the 189cm Preachers last season and they're so useable that despite the size they became my every day ski. Obviously they give great float in Pow but they also handle well on piste when you get your weight forward and i've even had them spinning a litte in the park.
Awesome ski, you will not be disappointed!!!! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fastandicy, Many thanks for your post and input. Really good to hear how use-able they are. Great feedback there...

Pizza's in the oven, think decision on skis is made and the snow isn't that far away. You said 75kgs was better for the 179s right? (it's a big pizza!)

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Defo 179 Preacher.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, to the point. cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fastandicy, got the same stats as you and I have some 179s on tne way, now I am worried.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, Ski's are a very personal thing. The 189's work for me but it depends what you're doing and how you're doing it.

If you haven't skied them and you want to upsize i'm sure the guys at Whitedot would do what they could, they've been no less than exceptional in customer care in my experience.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm 80Kg (and dropping amazingly!), and am on 189s. They don't ski like 189s. For me even they are a little on the short radius side (189s I think have a slightly longer radius than 179), and the advice was to go for them as they get stiffer as they get longer (!) as the yare slightly on the soft end of my ski spectrum (having spent a good while on Volkls that have girders in). This advice was bang on and with a little bit of adjustment to the factory tune after a chat with Dot. I was happy as a pig in ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatmansan, Gidday. I think everyone's already covered everything.

You could easily ski and love the 169s or the 179s and both will easily give you loads of float in any depth of pow. Keep in mind the skis are stiffer the longer they are so, if you're looking to take it easy and just cruise, spend a fair bit of time on piste but say 40% of your time off piste I'd go for the 169s, if you're looking for more response from a ski, more stability and spend most of your time in the back country the 179s will be the way to go. Feel free to call me on o7531 o39976 tomorrow if you want me to talk through the finer details of the Preachers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 181cms.81 kg and have got the 189s. Two weeks skiing on them. I'm still learning to ski them the way the way they need to be skied and sometimes I wish I'd gone shorter. They feel like monsters in a telecabine with all the short, skinny piste skis and sometimes the same on your feet. But on balance, i'm very glad I bought them. It's a fun challenge and I'm sure there'll come a time when we click completely. Because they are definitely a buzz to ride! Really good on long fast GS type turns; "intriguing," shall we say, for the first time in knee deep, week-old stuff .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatmansan, MTFU (© Parlor) and get the 179s. Or take a gamble and get the 189s. Seriously they don't ski as long as their length would suggest. I'm 194cm and 95kg and my Preachers are 189cm. They really are an incredibly versatile ski, and will look after you even when skiing like a complete lady's front bottom.
I've been back on mine skiing for the last two days and it's putting on a favourite pair of comfy shoes that you haven't worn for a while. A couple of runs to get used to the width and then I'm back up to speed. And off skiing things that are way above my talent level.
And they really do put a huge grim on your face.
As fastandicy stated above, they are an awesome ski. Which ever length you chose, you will be mightily impressed, and won't regret your decision.
And they attract a lot of questions on the lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skier from Argentina wrote:
fatmansan, MTFU (© Parlor) and get the 179s. .

189cm??? wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skier from Argentina,
Quote:

Puzzled
snow report
I'm humming and harrring about Preachers in a 179 or Directors 178, I just can't decide!!!
latest report
All,
Can't say enough for all the feedback and experiences - really appreciated. The order is going in this morning for 179s! as I'd rather go for the extra stiffness, esp as the Zags i have are anything but.

Can't wait for some white stuff now.

Cheers
snow report
heidiky, its a tough one, they are similar but also very different all at the same time. I have skied both and love both skis, the Directors offer a rocker solution to an all mountain ski, they take a little bit longer to get used to than the Preachers.

Its probably all down to the type of skiing you are doing most of the time, IMHO I dont think there is a wrong choice between the two?
ski holidays
livetoski, tough choice, I like fast responsive skis on piste but I'm not getting them for piste! Maybe the preachers would handle better on piste? Not a big deal though cos like I said, I'm probably not going to ski on piste with them.... ponder away!!
snow conditions
heidiky, from what you have said it sounds like the Directors maybe a better choice for you, the rocker is a big plus off piste.

What has put you off the Redeemer though? if its all off piste skiing then they might be worth looking at
ski holidays
heidiky, I decided on Directors as my off piste ski.
snow report
heidiky wrote:
I'm humming and harrring about Preachers in a 179 or Directors 178, I just can't decide!!!

They aren't a direct trade due to effective edge with rocker - the Director has 90cm of effective edge versus the Preacher's 158. I'd consider trading up in the Director for this reason if you want them for the same purpose.

I'm looking forward to trying the Director though.
snow report
The chat on here is so helpful, I've had to donate to SH as I reckon this advice is worth a least that.

Cheers
snow conditions
livetoski, Don't want something too huge, would like to be able to fit in skinning tracks for those rare occasions that I put the effort in! Thinking directors really, although I reckon they'll flap like a mofo on hardpack between runs Neh Neh
snow report
heidiky, yep for skins and touring a little the Director is better the Redeemers are a little wide Shocked

Tip flap is always a ?? with any rocker skis, I fond the Directors OK tho, not to bad, it just depends on how fast your going wink
snow conditions
livetoski wrote:
Skier from Argentina,
Quote:

Puzzled

Typo, meant to say grin.
ski holidays
Skier from Argentina,

MTFU - pips spyderjon, in the to-the-point stakes. Fair play.
Just spoken to the lovely folks at WD and 179s should be arriving with Marker Jester bindings early Oct.
snow conditions
Quote:

it just depends on how fast your going

.........fast!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 183cm and 90ish kg and after a good chat with some of the guys at whitedot on friday I pulled the trigger on a set of preachers in a 189.

All of the reviews that I've found as well as the advice from the company themselves (many thanks for your time on the phone on friday Andy) seems to suggest it's best to err on the long side with these.

On a slightly different note, what are the best mounting points for these? Has anyone found a particular sweet spot that works well on and off piste? I'm planning mounting Dukes on them but realistically these are just to aid me in reaching good snow rather than a great deal of actual touring and the majority of my skiing will still be lift served.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
snow report
Just reopening this post to make a couple of comments having picked up by Preachers this weekend.

I ordered the 179s with Marker Jesters and a package duly arrived on the date the team at Whitedot said it would. Bindings checked out ok but the skis were 169s. We all know that s**t happens, and it's how you react when it does that makes the difference.

I have to say that my experience of the customer service from Whitedot was as excellent as earlier posts have suggested it would be:

- Excellent and swift recognition of the problem upon me sending them an email
- Great communication around how we'd solve this issue and they were obviously happy to discuss options
- As I live in London and they were at the Ski Show this weekend, arranged for my wife and I to get complimentary tickets to the show so we could go and do a ski swap
- Just as friendly and professional in the flesh and 179s were picked up, drilled as required

I've yet to ski them, ibut f they are anywhere near as good as their customer service then all should be well in the world come Zermatt in January.
snow report
fatmansan, Brilliant service eh?! They combined postage for me and a friend, they really know how to keep people smiling.

I ended up going for the Directors in a 178, can't wait to get in the pow! See you in Zermatt for a kodak+whitedot moment?!
latest report
fatmansan, I'm not surpsised at all. The whitedot guys, I presume, are skiers. As a result they seem to low how to look after us and they do it with aplomb. I just got my delivery of the one's a few weeks ago and am desperate to get out on them as they look awesome. I'm rarely brand-loyal hear days but after two successive orders I feel that for whitedot I might make an exception!!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy