Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Tignes 2011/2012 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
The 'cat' is the caterpillar tracked snow-grooming machine that flattens out the piste for us all. On the way down Trolles there is (usually) an unmarked cat-track that the machines use to get up the steep section without a winch and less-confident/lazier skiers can use to come down snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thought/hoped as much! To be fair as long as there aren't any trees in the way then the quickest way to the bar is definitely the way home.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Few trees on Trolles! There's a nursery plantation, but if you're in a hurry for a pint, you'll never see it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shaky, If you are going to the Loop from the Palafour side save your self a trek - ski across to the free chair and ski down the bunny slope to opposite the Loop
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The photo on page one looks like it's opposite the Mark Warner hotel in le Lac? I love Tignes AND Val, if I can I'll go to Val in December and Tignes end of March again next year. Both are cracking resorts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Few trees indeed. Having said that I don't trust the b@ggers, whenever you think you're clear... whomp and a clothesline. I bet the little ones still get me.

Which is the best apres bar in Tignes then? We'd like to cut out any trial and error issues and go straight for the best time possible.

On top of that, where's best for 8-12 beers (i.e. busy music bar, not club)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shaky,
Please define 'best'. Different people look for different things in a bar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kenzie, don't be pedantic! Apres in the sun at the loop! Every time
snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rorie wrote:
Kenzie, don't be pedantic! Apres in the sun at the loop! Every time
snowHead

In the middle of December? NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kenzie, to help better define:

I'm assuming that if you are at Le Lac end, then Loop is best for the sun? If the weather's good then where else gets good numbers?

If it's a bad day, i.e. the wind is up or it's bucketing it down, then where's best to head if you want some music (live or not), decent beer at decent prices, people, atmosphere but also to be able to have a conversation?

For the evening, same as the above really. As drinkers it's about the buzzing bar or pub scene for us, not hotels, restaurant-bars or clubs.

Are there other 'must visit' bars in the other Tignes villages?

Thanks for your help, I know I'm trotting out the usual semi-specific questions!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brevieres:- Vincents, Underground
Boisses:- Melezes
Lavachet:- TC's, Brasero, Scotties
le Lac:- Loop, Alpaka, Embuscade (beware Scottish ski instructors serenading beautiful Polish girls), Jam, Bagus, Yeti, Jacks, Cafe Rouge
Val Claret:- Coulior, Drop Zone, Melting Pot

Check out 'Up Flat Down', or 2011/12 equivalent for what is on where for the week(s) you are out, but generally go where the seasonnaires are going - buy Rorie a few beers to get the lowdown.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

(beware Scottish ski instructors serenading beautiful Polish girls)

You've gotta watch for those guys
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie, btw, I met some Brit's last night who have taken over the Carpe Diem, and there's another nice couple who are buying the Lavachet Lounge. Plenty of choice in Tignes this winter for Apres Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rorie - Top News on the bars - but just noticed on the webcam that the Croq Burger has sprouted a couple more floors - do you know what it is going to be - looks a bit similar to what they put on the top of Les Flocons next door to the Campanules
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it's residential. The man who owns the tabac is fuming! He tried for planning permission and didn't get it!
latest report

Sleet in Lavachet must mean snow on the glacier snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
rorie, hooray! I shall be there four weeks tomorrow! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Looks like it from the webcam Very Happy
snow report
rorie wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, The reshaping of piste-H is an essential part of convincing the ski schools that we don't need Paquis, however this spring the Paquis has been saved. Woo hoo!

That's brill news, would have been a shame to get rid of it.
snow report

Snow on my car!!!
snow report
I'm already getting excited for my trip there in Nov Very Happy

rorie, how easy is it do get back from Tignes to Les Melezes in the evening? As in, after visiting some of those pubs everyone's talking about (bearing in mind the brain won't be working as well as it should by then NehNeh ). How late do the ski buses run till?
And, off topic, where did you get that webcam footage? I found it before but today every page I go to have them offline Sad
snow report
AlanB1976, http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm#GrandMotte , the Motte cam is still not working too much snow Toofy Grin , Val Claret and Le Lac working showing the current snow Very Happy
latest report
AlanB1976, terrible bus service in the autumn. See if you can sweet talk the Melezes crew into picking you up. I couldn't make the webcams work today either. Maybe all that snow has broken them!!!
snow report
I don't see any cam. Just blank. I think my office has blocked streams. Probably cause I'm looking at them too much Laughing
snow report
Stand easy chaps - the cams are back working this morning (except the one at the top of the Tov) - wonder if rorie, has got up early to hike to the top of the GM Cool
http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/webcams-290.html
latest report
rorie wrote:
chocksaway, Not this year. Piste H has been widened apparently. Aeroski and Marais to be changed 2012.

What is the plan with the Aeroski and Marais for next year?

Great to see a bit of snow on the webcams this morning Very Happy
snow conditions
A week tomorrow I'll be heading up there! From the webcam it looks like they've smoothed all of last Monday's snowfall into one thin strip down the side of Champagny!
snow report
rorie wrote:
Oli says

Quote:

Don't have a full list yet, but just about every big name manufacturer plus some up and comers like storm skis and capita boards. Should know soon though.

I'll see if I can get him to post on the forum when he knows more snowHead

Any news from Oli?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
where's best for 8-12 beers
Just another steady night eh wink ??
ski holidays
8 months and 1 week to go - just spotted the first guys hopping off the Funi. Conditions don't look that great and nothing in the forecast for at least a week but I'm sure rorie, will let us know by mid-afternoon (lucky barsteward Very Happy)
snow report
chocksaway, right enough I was teaching snowboard this morning and I didn't find it all to bad. Only Champagny and 3500 open right now with the cable car to open in a week and Rossolin when there's enough snow to cover it. The conditions are firm so it suits skis better and piste skis at that (no fats required yet)!

smagsmith, Oli is back and I had a rummage around the ski room yesterday. Brands represented are K2, Scott, Head, Atomic, and Rossignol among others. Is there a particular ski you want to try? I'll be down there tonight if you need me to find out.

I'll be up on the glacier again tomorrow so I'll try and get some photos snowHead
ski holidays
Day two done and dusted on the mountain. I was teaching snowboarding on Saturday and found the conditions more than adequate for beginners. Today I took the snowboard out again and tried out more of the mountain. There's not too many race teams here at the moment so there's no queuing. There's enough snow to cover up all but most of the icy bits. On the whole it was jolly good fun! Have a look at these happy faces!

latest report
rorie wrote:
smagsmith, Oli is back and I had a rummage around the ski room yesterday. Brands represented are K2, Scott, Head, Atomic, and Rossignol among others. Is there a particular ski you want to try? I'll be down there tonight if you need me to find out.

No Particular ski rorie. Just getting that usually excitement pre the start of the season. The web cams are not showing much snow at the moment, so I guess it would be interesting to read the manufacturers specs for the new kit

Last year I got on really well with the Rossi zenith z72's.

cheers
Smag
snow conditions
smagsmith, In the past I've seen way too many fat skis in the test line up. This year there's lot's of really nice piste and all-mountain skis too.
snow conditions
rorie, nice! Fifteen sleeps! Very Happy
snow report
I'm going to work tomorrow btw, until next Friday. That'll time my return with the forecast snowfall at the end of the week snowHead

I'll update more next weekend Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking a wee bit colder by the end of the week

Pedantica, 14 Smile
snow conditions
tiffin, good news unless you work on a building site at 1800 metres rolling eyes

Hopefully only a couple more weeks on the chain-gang then it's skiing everyday snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
What's happening?
ski holidays
Bit of a dusting on the cams
Got to be good if the glacier cam is obscured
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy