Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Up in Avoriaz and it's been snowing quite steadily all day. Put the kids in ski school for first time today, if it carries on like this Daddy is going out to play tomorrow Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guernseyfreerider, thats what I want to hear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I woke up at 10:30 and it was snowing all the way down in Essert-L-P! Hope you all had a good day out on the slopes! My last day out tomorrow!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very much enjoyed mini bash in Avoriaz today though missed Nadenoodlee Toofy Grin I don't think it stopped snowing all the time we were there and it was still coming down when we left at about 3pm. Thanks all for great company and leading (couldn't see some of the time so it was useful to be able to go into sheep mode).

Came back to Les Gets in time for several runs in the bowl. Have to say the pistes are in excellent condition. Even last bit of Gentian in front of Mairie was fab.

Tomorrow is Mont Chery day - if anyone's over there give me a shout Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lou, I thought it closed today? Grand Ourse were having their last hurrah/roast/big piggie this afternoon so I assumed it was closing today - V happy if it is open tomorrow and will defo come and say hello
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo! Off to check this out somewhere somehow
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phew
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone up in Avoriaz this week and fancies a slide pls PM me. Kids are in ski school all week and my other half doesn't ski

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grande Ourse website says today was farewell - seems odd if sector open until tomorrow evening as per piste info Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The snow today was fantastic snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely cracking morning today - Arbis first thing, only me and two others. Then to bowl (Fenerets was ours Very Happy ) and over to Mont Chery which was fantastic. Last day there for them. Long delicious lunch with Pamski at Grande Ourse and sticky ski back to gondola to descend.

Last day tomorrow, not sure where to yet as might be mild night Confused
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Absolutely agree with Lou, - we thought we had the bowl and Tulipe to ourselves, and we did till nearly 10 - then over to Mt Chery - the Lievre was excellent and made even better by the sun shining on that bottom corner which normally throws you into darkness. Very good lunch as mentioned and could not believe it was 5 before we were home. Long day for us!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went up to Avoriaz for a last blast round. The snow up around the Arare was unbelievably good, the last run back down to the Ardent was soft but not too slushy. A lovely end to a wonderful season.

Signing off,

Nadenoodlee
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's meant to nuke it down tonight in Avoriaz. Haven't skied yet cos I'm Billy no mates Sad so signed up for a group with the ESF tomorrow Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks NN for all the fun posts this season and also to all the other regulars.
ski holidays
3 years on the trot, the decision now is should we go again.....kids say they just love the Stash and other little gems, so very difficult tosay there are other places they can have fun it - must be strong and tell them!!!! Toofy Grin
Yea, thanks to the locals, you know who you are, keeping us all informed.
snow report
Last day over in Avoriaz today - up from Ardent and on the Prolays lift when it opened at 9. Lindarets Express not running today - broken apparently. Through the massed small children waiting for ski school in Avoriaz and up to the Blue du Lac, and around to the Fornet which we did 4 times - more or less empty. Up the chair to the top of Chavanettes as the poma lifts not running today. Down the wall on the chair.

Down to the poma (Leuchereuse/grizzly bear lift not running) and down into Les Crosets, up the 8 man and a couple of times down to the six man at Planachaux. Poma down in the bowl not running. Back to Les Crosets and down to the restaurant Toupin by the poma/T bar for coffee - inside as all the sun had gone by then and looked grey and stormy.

Back to Les Crosets to take the Grand Combes - which we had sworn looked open earlier - but it wasn't running - so up the Mossettes and back down the Abricotine to Lindarets via the Abricotine bowl and the lift up from there - and underneath the lift was my first Marmotte spotted this year. It did look a bit shocked to have dug its way out and found so much snow still and all those people overhead. Back down the Combe a Foret to La Ferme where the sun was out. OH did a few more circuits and a bit of lunch was eaten and down to Ardent.

The snow was still in really excellent shape everywhere we skied and going out early we didn't encounter any queues anywhere.
And the poma in La Turche still appears to be running so the Vorosse is open - for those that want their refreshments at La Paika.

Probably just be skiing in Les Gets tomorrow morning - and the boots to be taken home for tweaking by CEM next week.

We have been away to a few other places to ski this winter - but its always like coming home to be back in the PDS - and nowhere else has such a choice of places to stop and eat and drink at all levels. Thanks to all on here for their help and advice.
snow conditions
Cheers and jeers...

Cheers for Le Boomerang. We went to a wine tasting with tapas at Le Boomerang in Les Gets last night. Fantastic food; great wine and really great service. 20 euros each (it was a deal for the wine tasting). And I bought 24 bottles of really lovely Viognier for 3 euros a bottle.

Jeers. Les Trappeurs in Avoriaz near the Prodains cable car. Went in yesterday for four cafe au laits and a hot chocolate. The bill came out. 27 euros. TWENTY-SEVEN EUROS! Shocked Our friend put it best. His flabber-was-gasted. MrsFS tried to politely highlight our outrage and the waiter lost his temper with him. We walked out leaving 20 euros on the table.

We had a bit of a final ski today. I can only echo Pamski's comment about the snow being in excellent shape.

They are starting to pull things apart for the new lift to replace the Prodains cable car. The base is being built just next to the chair lift at the bottom of Prodains. They are levelling an area next to the cable car station at the top and were literally ripping trees out earlier.
snow conditions
Awesome today...Pretty much the the same runs the other way round as above...Fab. Was teaching/guiding a Canadian old ski prof and had a blast. The season he had was nothing like ours and he thought the snow this year in April is some of the best he has skied here in April in 15 years of coming to Champery! Ardent run was great and even Planachaux at the end had to be done 3 times as it was flat soft and empty. Due to dump some white stuff tonight so hoping I can give the oldCanuck some powder runs!
ski holidays
That's me too for the summer. See you all in the autumn.
latest report
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

really lovely Viognier for 3 euros a bottle

Shocked
Have good journeys back, everybody.
latest report
Stayed local for our last day. Was great until lunchtime slush then v v heavy going. Tipping it down with rain at the mo in Les Gets. Hope will be freshen up further up for tomorrow's skiers.

Small grumble - have been buying daily passes last few days. Was offer over Easter for €20 les gets/morzine. Went this morning and had gone UP to €25.40 (considering mont chery now closed, Belle Mouille, lower Morzine etc.

Anyway we have had fun here as always. Have a good summer all Cool
latest report
It's dumping in Avoriaz snowHead
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, What's the new lift going to be like? Another telecabin? When's it opening?
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
FlyingStantoni, What's the new lift going to be like? Another telecabin? When's it opening?

Bubble, rather than cable car, but that's all I really know.

The Morzine Marie put a date of next Christmas on the lift, but zzz was suggesting that they're trying to get it opened for the summer. Looking at how they're attacking it then I suspect that zzz is correct.
snow report
Very, very heavy rain overnight, which turned to snow at 4:30 this morning as we were leaving the apartment.
snow report
andy from embsay, I read somewhere but now can't find it unfortunately that there will be 12 bubbles taking approx 35 each - and that the entry and exit will be at ground level.

Still snowing in Les Gets after very heavy rain last night - complete winter wonderland scene outside with everything white again.
ski holidays
Pamski, Thanks - I found that on "Yodel" magazine after I'd posted last night. I think it said 2000 per hour insyead of the current 400:

It's the last story in here

Just remembered the waterpark thing will be open in Avoriaz next winter too - best not tell the kids, they won't want to ski!

Safe trips back everyone - we're already booked for half term (and a lads trip to Cham in January!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
30-40cm of pow in Avoriaz, bit heavy but I'm not complaining! Joined an 'Expert Group'with the ESF, they definetly weren't expert but nice bunch & good fun playing in the trees. Instructor apologised for level of group, said come back tomorrow for free & bought me a drink! - happy days snowHead
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Cheers and jeers...
Jeers. Les Trappeurs in Avoriaz near the Prodains cable car. Went in yesterday for four cafe au laits and a hot chocolate. The bill came out. 27 euros. TWENTY-SEVEN EUROS! Shocked Our friend put it best. His flabber-was-gasted. MrsFS tried to politely highlight our outrage and the waiter lost his temper with him. We walked out leaving 20 euros on the table..

Expensive, popped in here for lunch last march and got horrible food poisoning from an omelette Embarassed
latest report
Cracking day. Arrived avoriaz midnight last night for 3 days. Woken at 4.30 by avalanche blasting on apartment roofs. About 20cm fresh. Poor vis this morning but stunning this afternoon. Get in!!!
ski holidays
Warmed up overnight but had a cracking morning with ESF getting stuck in to the off piste which at best could be described as 'variable'. Bit of crust doesn't do the technique any harm though! Super impressed with the service we have had everywhere in Avoriaz from the lifties to the Village des Enfants, hadn't been to France for a few years and def coming back with family again, kids are buzzing. snowHead
latest report
Snowing like crazy tonight above the village here in Champery...Phone call from friend who lives up under the Dents du Midi and he was fed up that he would not be escaping anytime soon! Only way out is on skis . Forecast is for more of the same and cold wind with it! last week could be an absolute hoot! Excited to see what tomorrow brings on the mountain.... snowHead
latest report
Run after run after run after run of fresh untracked pow this morning, went out with ESF again and our man didn't let us down! snowHead snowHead
snow report
Just got back yesterday from 5 days skiing in the PDS. The snow was amazing and we were lucky enough to have 2 genuine powder days which was not expected in mid April. Was speaking to a restaurant owner in Plaine Dranse and she was furious that the resorts were closing in her opinion a week too early. I agree because with the amount of snow down they could be skiing well into May.

Thanks to all the locals for the updates over the season.

Passez un bon ete
latest report
I've just re-read this thread from the start, from the 'OMG , where's the snow' in December, through the inevitable 'What will the snow be like in April' to the final ' Its snowing like crazy' in April. The Season turned out pretty good in the end, didnt it ? Very Happy
snow conditions
BergenBergen, how long did it take Laughing ?

Yes, it was great. Especially well-timed after last year Cool
snow report
Sunshine81, Powdere at this time of year moight be difficult to predict when but isnot unusual!
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider, glad to hear you had a good time over there. Out of interest do you have to go via UK from Guernsey?
ski holidays
Awesome conditions currently. Quiet pistes and fresh powder. Finally had sun for a spell too. Today it's trying to snow again and again deserted pistes to enjoy. 5 days left and ironically it's better than we have had in ages
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy