Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a ski please

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah, I know we have lots of threads like this. Sorry.

I've always been perfectly content hiring, and in fact I like having a variety of fat ones, thin ones, crap ones. It's like a nice little surprise every holiday. Anyway, I live in them there Alps now, and it would be expensive folly to rent skis all the time, so I'm going to buy some. 4 REAL.

Skier profile:

I'm 'good', but quite a way off 'very good'. Reds all day long, unafraid of blacks. Black pistes I mean. But my technique is a bit so-so. I'm sure the Inside Out fellows would agree with that.

I'm almost always on-piste, but I might venture off a bit more this year. Intend to do the Vallee Blanche, for example.

I tend to ski a little shorter than I ought to - I'm 90kg and a shade over 6' tall, but I tend to go about 176cm, which I've been told is on the short side.

I do rather like getting in amongst the bumps and moguls. Probably why I like shorter planks. I don't think I want really narrow slalom-y things though. I've quite enjoyed having things like Dynastar Sultans and Icelantic Pilgrims on my feet over the last few years.

No freestyle or switch riding, ever. Ever.

Anyone fancy chucking me a suggestion. (I've always had half an eye on Scott Missions actually).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar Sultans seem about perfect, especially if you enjoyed them before!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, get theeself down to ekosport and see what they have. seem to be some bargains on Sultans and other Dynastar goodies at the moment:

http://www.ekosport.fr/list-produit.asp?id_rayon=50187640&id_marque_recherche=97961
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks you two.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, what the hell have Dynastar done to the graphics on the Sultans.

The ones I had on my feet in January looked like this:

Fig 1. Awesome

And now they look like this:

Fig 2. Mundane
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio,
Quote:

(I've always had half an eye on Scott Missions actually).

My lad has had a pair of Scott Crusade which he loves, pretty much a do anything ski with a very quick carve radius in a 179 Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They (on Arno's link) do have a pair of XXL's with those graphics if you feel like stepping up Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My link doesn't seem to work very well - anyway, if you go to the ekosport website then choose "pack ski+fix" and click on dynastar, you'll see the range. the graphics on the Mythic Rider (precursor to the Sultan) might be to your taste Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomic Theory 177 or Mission 178
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
/me is a fan of the mundane Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The graphics on the Sultans have improved - those manky things with a load of stuff you can't see vs a nice clean wood and metal look. I bought the wood and metal look, but up to you.

You sound fairly similar to me in ability, but a bit taller and lighter. I'm on the 170 Sultan 85s, and they are good skis. No good in really icy stuff, but that's kind of obvious. They are very good for softer stuff and freshly pisted runs though, and are perfectly good for offpiste.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coo, I know where to go when the time comes for replacing my current Dynastars. What a fantastic site. Do they have many outlets?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, just one, I believe, near Annecy. I've never been but apparently it is a veritable Aladdin's cave!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, I bet! I've book-marked the site, thank you. Yet another plus for Annecy - great place, lucky paulio.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
Also, what the hell have Dynastar done to the graphics on the Sultans.

The ones I had on my feet in January looked like this:

Fig 1. Awesome

And now they look like this:

Fig 2. Mundane

You Sir are blind Very Happy

And you hired 2009-2010 skis (Well maybe, certainly the retail versions last year had the newer graphics and some rocker)
latest report
Arno wrote:
Pedantica, just one, I believe, near Annecy. I've never been but apparently it is a veritable Aladdin's cave!

It's just outside Albertville actually.
snow report
I'm getting these I think. Regardless of the graphics.

178 sound about right?
snow conditions
they all begin with A... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Binding help pls.

The Sultan 85s I've seen seem to have either NX 12 or PX 12 bindings on them.

I have heard these variously described as a 'jib' binding - which doesn't sound right for me at all; and also as a 'dildo binding' due to their tendency to lodge themselves up one's chuff-chuff if landing heavily in the back seat.

Wat do?
snow report
PX12 is a better binding IMO, although if there is a big price differential I'm not sure it would be worth it
latest report
I think mine have PX12, it is a good solid binding that felt very secure when in use. The dildo binding has the potential benefit of reminding me of my days in prison during a fall.
ski holidays
paulio, yeh go PX12, looks and feels a lot more solid to click in to.
snow report
Hmm it's turning out to be much easier and cheaper to find them fitted with the NX 12s.
snow report
Don't rule out the Scott Venture (comes in a 178) which sits 'in between' the Scott Mission and the Scott Crusade. My mate tried these last week at MK (Brighams have them in their test fleet) and fell in love with them.... Toofy Grin
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
Arno, I bet! I've book-marked the site, thank you. Yet another plus for Annecy - great place, lucky paulio.

I bought some poles off them recently through mail-order, even with the postage they beat prices over here (and were helpful when I realised I'd selected the wrong length shortly after pressing "confirm" Embarassed)
ski holidays
paulio, Steer clear of PX if it's not too late, personally we prefer the NX if only for the weight issue. The PX, is IMO the worst binding ever produced. Heavy, the train comes lose and has no toe height adjustment, should it ever be needed. Little Angel
snow conditions
Umm. OK.
latest report
paulio wrote:
Arno wrote:

erm, havbe they moved recently, then? last time I called in they were in the industrial estate by the entrance to chambery airport.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Arno wrote:

erm, have they moved recently, then? last time I called in they were in the industrial estate by the entrance to chambery airport.....
latest report
Whitedot The Ones
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
erm, have they moved recently, then? last time I called in they were in the industrial estate by the entrance to chambery airport.....

erm, I dont know if they've moved. However their contact details are here: http://www.ekosport.fr/info.asp
snow conditions
Rly sorry to bump my own thread, I know it's bad form. But I'm just about to pull the trigger on a pair of them there Sultan 85s and I'm wobbling between the 172cm and the 178.

I am 185. I weight 90kg. Advice pls. Historically I've tended to enjoy skis that are a little on the short side, but I don't want to get this 'wrong'.

Also, probably not going with the Look bindings. Rossi Axium something-or-other instead. Any opinions (SZK?)
latest report

simples Very Happy

I weigh 95kg and had 177 skis (84mm underfoot) before the current 188. The 177 were great on piste, but off piste they offered little in the way of float. The step up to the longer (and wider) ski offers more control, float and power for my weight when the conditions get a bit variable, or off piste. Still ski great on piste too. If you're going to be skiing stuff like the Vallee Blanche, you'll appreciate the longer ski.
ski holidays
The Dynastar Legend Sultan 85 now looks like this by the way:

Always go with the PX binding, not the NX in our opinion. Worth the few extra ££

Agree with the call on the Venture though. If you want a solid confidence inspiring feeling ski the Sultan 85 is fantastic. The Venture though is incredibly versatile for the more advanced skier, I LOVE it. Stick a Baron on that and you have a Scott Mission on acid Madeye-Smiley

But for all round, all conditions skiing with enough to go off the sides in good conditions the Sultan 85 is a great ski.

ScottyDog
latest report
172. I found they ski a bit longer than some of the other skis I've used in the last couple of years. No idea what they've done to the graphics, last year's look was much better.
ski holidays
At 72kg and 5 foot 9, I'd want at least the 172 if I got Sultans again. 178 for you - especially as you'll now probably get much more skiing in than before.
latest report
Stockli Laser SC is the one. http://www.realskiers.com/ski_reviews_stockli.htm
snow conditions
No it isn't. Sorry.

178 looks best (sorry Monium). I'm sure I'll regret it next time I find myself at the top of some vertical mogul black run though.

Might just roll a dice for the binding choice at this stage though. Opinions are like ar*eholes. Everyone is one. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy