Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for a good knee surgeon.

Poster: A snowHead
Jonathan Bell wrote:
sarah wrote:

I'm not sure I buy it that the Knee Guru site is as impartial as you make out. At a very quick glance it is missing several good surgeons in our area and includes one who missed a diagnosis on my husbands knee some years ago.

It is definitely not impartial. It started out as a voice piece for the Droitwich Knee Clinic, whose founder has now retired. When it was set up it included a large number of " preferred surgeons to whom the site linked" but not one of them, was in the UK. It took advantage of link farms to bump it up the google rankings before google objected to that sort of thing. A couple of the " featured individuals" are people I have trained and saw it as " a great place to advertise" I have never approached Knee Guru to be included but my colleague, who did, is. Its quite simple if i give them sage like articles they are quite likley to be published. I thought it was so obviously not impartial that I've avoided it. Perhaps I'd better sign up

Thanks for clearing that up Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, +1. Very much enjoying Jonathan Bell's posts and storing up info for when (not 'if', I fear) my knees get so painful I need to have them looked at!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica,

Without wishing to be seen as a pedant, injury risk is just 2 to 3 injuries per 1000 skier days.
Long live your knees, long live skiing! 😉
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonathan Bell,t I suspect Pedantica may be more worried about the effects of life on her knees as opposed to injury.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Pedantica,

Without wishing to be seen as a pedant, injury risk is just 2 to 3 injuries per 1000 skier days.
Long live your knees, long live skiing! ��

Embarassed Some can manage double that rate Embarassed Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:
Jonathan Bell,t I suspect Pedantica may be more worried about the effects of life on her knees as opposed to injury.
Spot. On. rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:

Point taken Embarassed will spare you anything too profound on " effects of life"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonathan Bell, Laughing (My physio makes emollient remarks about 'a certain amount of inevitable wear and tear' and then just tells me to get on with it! wink )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica wrote:
Jonathan Bell, Laughing (My physio makes emollient remarks about 'a certain amount of inevitable wear and tear' and then just tells me to get on with it! wink )

I'm married to a physio. That ensures you don't even get the, soothing, emollient remarks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonathan Bell, Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonathan Bell, Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
midgetbiker,

Who is your physio in Chx?

Neil at Clinique du Sport
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
midgetbiker wrote:
Jonathan Bell wrote:
midgetbiker,

Top physio. Very good. I know Neil and have a lot of respect for him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
Jonathan Bell wrote:
midgetbiker,

Top physio. Very good. I know Neil and have a lot of respect for him.

I'm back in the UK for a few weeks and wondering who to use here, just tried Alison Rose in Leeds but she's laid up after an op herself at the moment. So any recommendations in Leeds, anyone?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker,

Sorry cant help with someone in Leeds .
snow conditions
Try Tom Gooden in Harrogate or Wayne Morten wetherby
latest report
midgetbiker, so how's it going? How's your knee? Ripping up Verbier I bet!
snow report
Markymark29, ha, no, had to bow out of the Verbier demo as i would still be as much use as a choc teapot.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am now seeing Stuart Calder as my consultant and I am off back to Chx to spend 2 weeks going to Neil at Clinique du Sport for physio.

When I get back i will make some UK arrangements.
latest report
Quote:

After a stupid fall two weeks ago and a (with hindsight) dodgy decision to push on and ski the Grand Enver and walk out of the Vallee via the ice steps, I am left with:

Grade 2-3 rupture MCL, broken fibula & strongly suspected grade 2-3 rupture ACL.

Shocked Hope you get it sorted out, midgetbiker. With hindsight, would you have gone for a ride in a helicopter?
snow report
midgetbiker, are you still after a Leeds physio? I have a mate who works with Leeds Rhinos and seems well up on sporting injuries!!
snow report
pam w, yes, not because the ski out hurt too badly or even because I may have aggrevated the knee, but rather because I would have been dropped into a French hospital system on the BMC's tab and maybe had a swifter diagnosis and treatment.
snow report
kitenski, Hi, yes, I'm interested in any recommendations.
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
pam w, yes, not because the ski out hurt too badly or even because I may have aggrevated the knee, but rather because I would have been dropped into a French hospital system on the BMC's tab and maybe had a swifter diagnosis and treatment.

Hmm , having been an inpatient at Sallanches with a prolapsed disc and nerve compression that required a microdiscectomy in the UK, I can tell you the MRI interpretation in France was completely different to the UK. YMMV..
snow report
mishmash wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

Hmm , having been an inpatient at Sallanches with a prolapsed disc and nerve compression that required a microdiscectomy in the UK, I can tell you the MRI interpretation in France was completely different to the UK. YMMV..

MRI is a poor substitute for good clinical assessment. I cannot over emphasise that. An MRI is just a tool used to help,with the overall assessment. A good clinician uses an MRI to add to the assessment, not as a substitute for it.

Lots of the posts on Snowheads are about the frustration of being unable to get a clear diagnosis that leads to.... a crystal clear treatment plan .

MRI is not the key.
ski holidays
midgetbiker,
Quote:

Pain climbing the stairs with a knee injury to get to him though. wink
ski holidays
Seems like you are fixed up, but this guy has an excellent reputation and fixed a friends knee. I haven't used him but one of his colleagues put my shoulder back together. This is a promo piece off his website, I just love the final sentence. "All sports have risks, and there is nothing quite like mountains, blue sky and fresh snow. If the worst comes to the worst, the Yorkshire Clinic can always put you back together!"

http://www.theyorkshireclinic.co.uk/consultants/mr_steven_robert_bollen.aspx
http://www.stevebollen.co.uk
latest report
Mt wrote:
Seems like you are fixed up, but this guy has an excellent reputation and fixed a friends knee. I haven't used him but one of his colleagues put my shoulder back together. This is a promo piece off his website, I just love the final sentence. "All sports have risks, and there is nothing quite like mountains, blue sky and fresh snow. If the worst comes to the worst, the Yorkshire Clinic can always put you back together!"

http://www.theyorkshireclinic.co.uk/consultants/mr_steven_robert_bollen.aspx
http://www.stevebollen.co.uk

funnily enough my UK physio mentioned this chap on saturday (as she tortured my poor knee), but as you say i think i'm sorted now regards the consultant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil wrote:
Know of a good one in Bath, obviously too far but thought I would respond just in case. Sorted out my daughters knee and came highly recommended, understand he has done some pro rugby players too.

http://www.jwclinic.com/physio/meet-the-team/jonathan-webb/#

I think this is who Basil was talking about, one of the very best, does all the top sports people.
latest report
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Pedantica wrote:

I'm married to a physio. That ensures you don't even get the, soothing, emollient remarks.
I did! wink So, so happy following this morning's appointment. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Especially getting the advice that I was nowhere near having to call on your services. wink Very Happy
latest report
Pedantica, excellent news. Many more years of skiing ahead then? Cool
snow report
Pedantica, YAY!
snow conditions
Pedantica, Cool
latest report
I have stayed away from this thread as I could be deemed to be biased !

Especially as threads like this are so "emotional" Smile

However, you only have to Google "best acl knee surgeons uk" and you'll see exactly who / what is number one - little example there for all aspiring SEO web site gurus Smile

Not that the above is of any serious reference!

The knee surgeon I used a few years back has been a client of mine (hence my possibly perceived bias from both a professional & personal perspective ), for I do his web marketing across various sites.

More seriously, he is widely acknowledged by many of his contemporaries as one of the most pre eminent surgeons etc etc in he UK.

http://www.mrjameslewis.co.uk/

And if you also Google "anterior cruciate ligament" that's also an interesting result Smile

http://www.anteriorcruciateligament.co.uk/

Anyway, this is just to let you know that James will soon be providing an ACL Brace clinic, where he will be advising and providing braces for both preventative as well as post op ACL injuries.

Over the past couple of years we have been discussing the ever increasing number of severe knee injuries across sport, and not just skiing, Aaron Hadlow World Kite Surfing Champ did his ACL a year ago, and quite a few freestyle kiters I know have had serious injuries.

As you can imagine a consultant surgeon is not about to join the ranks of snowheads and join in this "banter" however if there are sensible questions and the like, then I will attempt to bring these to his attention almost as FAQ's via his sites.

The ACL braces will hopefully be launching shortly, well in time for next season.

For my own part, I did my ACL March 2011, Operation was Sept 2011 and I was back skiing March 2012 (with a brace), and continued to wear a brace this past season.

I was a competitive cyclist and runner before my ACL trauma and continued to train hard both before and after my Op, probably more than your average ACL patient, as I come from the school of "no pain no gain" mentatlity, not always a good thing Confused

Should add that my daughter is now 4 weeks post ACL op and is now walking with only a minor limp, however not being a "sports person" she has not a great deal of muscle in her quad / calves with most having wasted away and that is now her goal for the next six months to get stronger, that is of course if she has the focus and determination which is not necessarily prevalent amongst non sporty types!
latest report
Weathercam,
Quote:

As you can imagine a consultant surgeon is not about to join the ranks of snowheads and join in this "banter"

No, in the light of Jonathan Bell's phenomenally helpful contributions on here, I cannot thus imagine.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

As you can imagine a consultant surgeon is not about to join the ranks of snowheads and join in this "banter" however if there are sensible questions and the like

If you read the thread you will see that http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?search_author=Jonathan+Bell has in fact done so and added huge relevance both here and on other rehab etc threads.

I have no connection with him professionally - but as an amateur I have found his posts superb.

[/url]
ski holidays
mishmash, exactamundo!
ski holidays
mishmash, +2
latest report
+3 Puzzled
snow conditions
Aaaaahhhh you all must love that screw up - didn't realise he was an actual OS

How many of you then have actually met him, and been under his knife ?

As I was coming to this thread as someone with personal, and knowing others (six to date) who have been patients, hence recommending a knee surgeon, rather than based on Internet banter*, sorry!

* good or bad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy