Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
I wouldn't advocate polarised shades for driving and 'general' use. Spots or stripes appear on glass and other surfaces, can't see the screen on my phone properly. I use Oakleys for driving (cars) and snow skiing, the polarised ones just for watersports.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
allanm, I've heard/read that too about the spots/stripes appearing. Like you, I wear my Oakleys for driving as well as skiing and have found them to be superb. This girl seems to like them (her polarised sunglasses for driving) though, perhaps she doesn't mind any after-effects she gets, I will ask her as I'll be seeing her tomorrow anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

spots/stripes appearing.
Absolutely. Very disconcerting indeed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica, that explains why I don't know anyone personally who uses them for skiing then (not that they've mentioned, anyway) but I know they are used by a lot of fishermen/anglers, that would make sense.

cbowls30, have you experienced any spots/stripes with your polarised sunglasses you got from Specsavers?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a vague notion that the 'interference pattern's are caused by the different surfaces in things like laminated windscreens already bending the light in certain ways thereby cutting down on the equal spread of light in some directions. This causes the patterns of light of dark which don't appear when 'standard light' hits polarised filters - which is when they work well, but then again that could be the old brainbox failing me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All - thanks for all the input and conversation.... Little Angel Little Angel .

Just to let you know I have always been encouraged away from using either contacts or lazer treatment due to the high prism I need to correct my vision - 3.5.
I am always told that lazer would only last a year or so but I would still need some corrective spectacles sooner or later.

Similarlay with contacts, the last time I asked I was told that they don't correct prism at all (this may not be true now) but to be honest I really am a bit squeemish about stuffing something into my eyes and don;t think I could make myself do it !!
Having worn reasonably thick glasses all my life I am use to them now, neither am I too bothered about what anyone thinks anout my fashion sense, having never been fashionable, nor had much sense !!, I have always been free from the shackles of trying to keep up with the latest & richest fashionable idiots.....

As for the 2 for 1 deal - I am already using it to have a pair of varyfoculs for normal everyday use (so I can read as well) but as I work mainly from home, on a computer I need an intermediate working pair that will focus on the screen and keep my sitting posture right rather than tilting my head up & using the lower part of the varyfocul to see the screen (I am an design engineer & use CAD software 90% of the day so need to see the lines !!). My prescription ranges from +2.75 for distance to +5 for near reading, if that helps !!

Tearing off the foam from around the edges of goggels seems to help the issue, for me - over past years of riding m/c off road (as you enter damp forestry, glasses would fog immediately) and now skiing, it has proven it does tend to ease the problem of fogging the instant you stop, or replace your goggels when re-starting, as it allows some airflow when not moving. I have in the past even resorted to drilling holes in what were my racing goggles as that also helped immensly, as most enduros are held in Welsh (hence often very damp) forestry.. I've not found double glazed visors to be that much help either when riding on the road or with skiing goggles - maybe I am just a heavy breather !!
rolling eyes rolling eyes .

I am glad to hear that polerising isn;t much help as that keeps the field open, I will have a trawl thro' the net on your suggestions and have a look.
Thanks everyone.
Noisey
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trying to get back on the topic: - I've just bought a set of Ugly Fish Ultimates, search on line, three pairs of lenses, yellow black and Clear with an Rx insert and an elastic headband. they are cerified Austrailian protective eyewear and have a gasket like the Adiddas Evil Eyes, with as simple single vision lens trhere about £130. i wear them on my mTb and I can't rate them highly enough. got them thorough a local Motorcycles hop - Dammerrels of Plymouth, not many people in the UK seem to be doing them.

Admin - not pimping but trying to find affordable prescription eyewear is difficult - except those wraparound things. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
noisey, Hmm maybe they are prone to fog because the foam is absent? Anyway notwithstanding that, I have a stigmatism, close enough to be borderline, but it had the effect of helping my eyes work (harder?) around that so that hasn't progressed. I believe that corrective lens may be available. They (disposable lenses) are amazingly comfortable, easy and above all safe. Even 22 years ago when I first started (very nervously) I was stunned how quick (5 secs) per eye and even more surprised how comfortable and liberating they felt. Things have only improved since then and I'd honestly urge you to make an appointment, share your reservations and then make up your mind after at least doing a short trial. Then let us know how you get on! Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A fairly good solution to fogging lenses that I found was to wipe them with a smidgen of washing up liquid and then really polish them up. They come up really well and it really does help with the fogging issue if you do it every couple of days or so. I guess it might be worth a little research to check that it won't damage your lens material, but I've used it on every pair I've owned without issue so far.

Noisey when I use them I wear a -3.5 prism astigmatism corrected daily disposable lens - the Lacreon Focus dailies mentioned elsewhere, and I've also had the prescription in the non-lacreon ones too. So it is easy enough to obtain that level of prescription in a daily disposable.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 15-08-11 9:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum,
Quote:

smidgin of washing up liquid
What is this mysterious exlixir? I've tried goggling it and it seems to refer to fairies and other strange stuff?
Puzzled Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jivebaby, NehNeh OK I can't spell! Laughing

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/smidgen

smid·gen also smid·geon or smid·gin (smjn)
n.
A very small quantity or portion; a bit or mite: "a smidgen of genius, a sliver of cutting truth" (John Simon).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have spent a while looking at this issue - my prescription includes prisms which are impossible to put into a prescription wrap frame.
Up till now, I have used plain flat lens prescription sunglasses and put up with eyes watering at speed or used plain glasses with OTG goggles.

I have just bought pair of Rudy Project glasses with a prescription insert from www.rxsport.co.uk
They provide an excellent trial service to see if you like the frame and the basic insert concept - I tried the Adidas Evileye and a couple of Rudy Project frames. Preferred the Rudy inset as it covered more of the lens.

Happy with the result - not perfect but pretty sure it will be better than what I have at the mo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, No smidgin was/is perfectly clear, it's the other strange words that I'm struggling with. Are they Icelandic, Norwegian or some other Celtic dialect? rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jivebaby, Oh,........I see.............the words arise from the tongue of the dialect Domesticatus - more commonly spoken by females, though there are occasional male experts in existence. Does this help?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5,

hi,
no spots/stripes or any problems at all! i find them great to drive in, never had a problem...... like i said before, should of got them years ago!
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Jivebaby, Oh,........I see.............the words arise from the tongue of the dialect Domesticatus - more commonly spoken by females, though there are occasional male experts in existence. Does this help?
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
cbowls30 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5,

hi,
no spots/stripes or any problems at all! i find them great to drive in, never had a problem......

Not sure what you're referring to here, but definitely not polarising shades, as with them you definitely will get spots & stripes.
ski holidays
I've driven with polarised prescription sunglasses for several years without any problems at all. Trying to read an ATM or mobile is a different matter though.
ski holidays
My Oakleys are polarised and I don't wear them to drive, because they make the rear windscreen, as seen in the mirror, go stripey (but not the front one.)
snow conditions
Pedantica, That's the de-mister element wink
snow conditions
Colin B, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Colin B wrote:
Pedantica, That's the de-mister element wink

Methinks that it's because the rear screen is toughened and the front is laminated......

Anyway, I would recommend contacts myself for all the reasons stated. I started wearing them when full face helmets' better fit made wearing specs quite painfull around the ears. Astigmatism and 3.5 at the time although with age I am now down to 1.75 but need readers. Sad
Really the best is not steaming up especially with a full face where you could potentially get three steamed surfaces!
ski holidays
noisey wrote:

Just to let you know I have always been encouraged away from using either contacts or lazer treatment due to the high prism I need to correct my vision - 3.5

And they would be right, it is not easy to incorporate prism (if at all depending on the circumstances) into contact lenses as well as it depending on many other factors (to do with the prism and otherwise) whether a person 'can' have them or not.

Quote:
Similarly with contacts, the last time I asked I was told that they don't correct prism at all

As above. Sounds like it doesn't bother you anyway wearing your glasses if you don't fancy the idea of putting contact lenses in and taking them out, so that is fair enough Very Happy

Jivebaby wrote:
noisey, I have a stigmatism, close enough to be borderline, but it had the effect of helping my eyes work (harder?) around that so that hasn't progressed. I believe that corrective lens may be available. They (disposable lenses) are amazingly comfortable, easy and above all safe. Even 22 years ago when I first started (very nervously) I was stunned how quick (5 secs) per eye and even more surprised how comfortable and liberating they felt. Things have only improved since then and I'd honestly urge you to make an appointment, share your reservations and then make up your mind after at least doing a short trial. Then let us know how you get on! Cool

Noisey hasn't mentioned he has astigmatism though (he might have, he might not), he says he has prism in his spectacle prescription, which is not the same thing at all.

Megamum wrote:

Noisey when I use them I wear a -3.5 prism astigmatism corrected daily disposable lens - the Lacreon Focus dailies mentioned elsewhere, and I've also had the prescription in the non-lacreon ones too. So it is easy enough to obtain that level of prescription in a daily disposable.

There is no such thing as a -3.5 prism astigmatism corrected lens. There seems to be some confusion here about what prism is for and what astigmatism is, as well as them being entirely different issues. Understandable though for people to get muddled/confused when they are customers/patients. Someone can have astigmatism and need prism, or need prism and not have astigmatism, or have astigmatism and not need prism. Astigmatism is usually corrected by using cylinders (the 'cyl' part of a spectacle prescription) and relates to the irregular shape of a person's cornea or lens (or could be both). An amount of astigmatism is quite common.

Prism, on the other hand, is used to correct issues (not every time) relating to the alignment of someone's eyes (which may or may not be detectable when you look at them), rather than how long-sighted, short-sighted or astigmatic they are. Those contact lenses you mention definitely do not have a correction using prism in them. I don't mean to rant and I'm sure you meant well, but could I politely suggest that people refrain from telling other people on the internet that it is 'easy enough to obtain that level of prescription in a daily disposable' when they don't really know what they are talking about, as understandably so it could result in people ending up disappointed when they are told 'No' again by their qualified Optometrist or contact lens optician. There is a reason why it takes 4-5 years to qualify as a contact lens optician (depends which route they take) or 4 years as an Optometrist, and even then there is always something to learn, which is partly what attracted me to it in the first place.

cbowls30 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5,

hi,
no spots/stripes or any problems at all! i find them great to drive in, never had a problem...... like i said before, should of got them years ago!

Very pleased to hear it cbowls30.

Colin B wrote:
I've driven with polarised prescription sunglasses for several years without any problems at all. Trying to read an ATM or mobile is a different matter though.

I checked back on what I read/heard about polarised lenses a long time ago now and yes, displays on cash machines, mobile phones, computer monitors etc can be difficult to see. I did ask my friend about her polarised sunglasses that she drives in and she hasn't experienced any problems. However, what can be seen in the case of rear windscreens on cars (because they are made of toughened glass whereas front windscreens are made of laminated glass as elj221c said) are the stress/strain patterns from where the glass is tempered and it is this phenomenon which can put some people off. As the side windows are also made of toughened glass then the stress/strain pattern might be visible there too.

These patterns may well be visible to everyone wearing polarised lenses, but like with a lot of things, some people find it intolerable and other people aren't bothered by it at all.

Incidentally, I notice Specsavers have this on their website regarding polarised lenses:-

Polaroid £60

These high tech lenses give superior vision in bright light. They eliminate 99.9% of horizontal glare and filter 100% UV light. Much favoured by anglers, yachtsmen and professional drivers

A bit of thread drift there I know, but just wanted to clarify some of the above.
ski holidays
I quite enjoy the odd patterns i can see the windows of other cars through my polarised lenses. It's a bit disconcerting if you're filling the car, bent over and look up sideways at the displyy on the petrol pump though to see it go blank!!! Shocked
snow conditions
rogg, Laughing
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Cheers mate, I get a little rattled when I am told in strong terms to change to contacts, I know it has helped a lot of people and they benifit, and that is great for them, but I know what I have been told and I am not bothered, it is nice to see the argument eloquently put - thanks I shall bask in your warm glow !!!Madeye-Smiley

Another point raised back on page 1, was the fact that goggles can press down on your glasses onto the bridge of your nose and it does get sore by the end of the day - mainly due to my wearing a helmet (yes I know this may cause thread drift - but I wear a helmet, as I do for biking, canoeing, riding motorbikes and to show my son that I can set an example & will wear one as he has to.) Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for all the help, the optician has shown me some alternatives and I am popping back in on Monday when he has a rep in with a new style for me to try !! I may get something fashionable after all ... Laughing Laughing .

Noisey
latest report
Quote:

Thanks for all the help, the optician has shown me some alternatives and I am popping back in on Monday when he has a rep in with a new style for me to try !! I may get something fashionable after all ......

Wonderful news! Glad to hear you are being looked after Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, To be fair he has been great, we do know him indirectly (he is a parent of another team member of our son's Sunday rugby team). He gave my son a complete check up, quite detailed, once he knew he is dyslexic (his eyes are fine, he has inherited his mothers stronger genes in that respect !!).
They were far more detailed in their work than I have had previously from specsave & others, especially with checking my line of sight for the varifocals.
When I explained my issues, not just with goggles but also with working with computers all day, they came up with alternatives rather than just showing me a wall of frames to look at or try to sell me reactalites.
He really has gone to town to try to help with the sunglasses - it is nice to feel you are good receiving service, it makes the experience of parting with you money so much more pleasant ! Laughing Laughing
Noisey
snow conditions
allanm wrote:
Polarised sunglasses aren't much, if any advantage in snow skiing.. they simply reduce glare from water and other 'shiny' surfaces. Driving water-ski boats, for example, they're absolutely essential.

I bought a pair of polarized goggles a couple of years ago and they are superb. I was skeptical about the benefit for skiing, but they were the ones that fitted best and had the darkest lenses (I wear goggles in bright light too, so wanted a dark pair). They are easily the best goggles I've ever used, but if that's because of the polarizer or just the filters I'm not sure - they seem to remove a bit of haziness and everything looks sharper and better defined.
snow conditions
Fwiw noisey, joining a debate late in the day...I've had OAkley prescriptions which were great. Minutes they were. But sadly now need varifocals. I used a company called Optilabs in Croyden who have made me up wrap arounda with varifocal in them. I've since worn these skiing and cycling and for daily use in the car for driving and they have been good. Cheaper too than Oakley and fantastic service. They are easy to find on web and it might be worth giving them a call and speak to them.
ski holidays
MarjMJ, Thanks, I popped into my optician on Monday who had arranged for a rep to come in with loads of samples and I have opted for a pair of Uvex glasses.

These are wrap around with some smart frames, prescription inner bi-onicles (that snap on & off) with 2 choices of clip in outer lenses (dark & yellow).
Tony got them on order and I hope to get a call off him on Tuesday to collect. I will photo and post when I do get them.

I've opted not to have varifoculs like my main glasses, just to keep price & weight down, I can always carry my normal glasses with me to read menus at lunch time !!.
Noisey
snow conditions
Way Hey.... They have arrived & I have some photos - sorry if they are of a shocking subject but hopefully the photos are all within family guide lines !! Laughing Laughing

They are Uvex radicals:

How they work.

The box, trendy hard case & glasses with still packaged yellow optional lenses.

Glasses & optional yellow lenses.

Yours scarely & truely !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
They wrap around nicely, the optician had to adjust the nose bits as my long eyelashes flicked inside the removeable lenses but they are great, I am really pleased.

Just need some sun (no chance this summer !!), snow now - or Tamworth with additional arc lights !!!

Noisey
snow conditions
noisey, magnificent!! Very Happy I am so pleased that your optician got you something that works for you. They look good don't they, a good make and trendy looking. Very sensible not to worry about a near prescription in them, after all, when you are skiing along you need to see for distance more than anything else. You can always put your others on inside for menus etc like you say.

Quote:

my long eyelashes

No need to boast wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy